As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

1356715

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang the Thief

    Dang picks up a stone figurine of Co’Lo’nial, the dwarfish god of taking things from other people but it’s not stealing if they’re goblins and sets it down flat near the door. Not one he cares for.

    Dang tries to interpret the etching on the monolith.

    kimeAustinP0027
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sy feels a sense of peace come over him as the coin plinks into the bowl, as if he is being watched over in this dark place.

    Granted! The Boon of the Golden Rule.
    Once while delving in the pyramid of Charon and it's environs, as a reaction when hit with an attack, Sy may choose to have the attack also hit the attacker.

    Dang feels eyes on him as he takes the figurine, but they leave him as he sets it back down again, cold fingers grasping and relinquishing his clothes.

    The door is humbled by Dang's request, but whether it can't or won't, does not open to surrender it's secret. The etching upon it is of nude pilgrims washing their face in a rectangular pool surrounding a water wheel.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    AustinP0027kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang the Thief

    “Ah, early days perhaps. Or I am to debase myself, to show my relinquishment of the material.”, the monk ponders.

    Dang tosses a coin into each of the waters, Charon’s, Sheshanaga‘s (surely?) and the one churned by the mill.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Sy

    Sy squints looking at the etching on the door. He opens his mouth to say "Hey, does that look like the..." but before he even finishes his sentence, Dang has thrown coins in the waters by the wheel. "Ah, yep. You see it too."

    Not content to just stand around, he examines the door more closely. Getting into locked things was his bit of specialty, so maybe it was a matter of finding the keyhole he could exploit.

    Edit: I understand the why, but for a class that feels like it needs to investigate before they can try their Sleight of Hand, it's a surprisingly low modifier.

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Where's the Lock(Investigation)

    Where's the Lock(Investigation):
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]

    AustinP0027 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang the Thief

    Time willing between the coin throwing…

    The monk looks over Sy’s shoulder and points at things knowingly. He just nods if Sy looks at him for some actual guidance.

    …I’ll make the Help action. Mind if I do the roll for speed?

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Sy’s Advantage

    Sys Advantage:
    1d20+6 21 [1d20=15]

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    The coins sink beneath the surface of the liquids, disappearing into the murk.

    The door is curious, in that not only there is no obvious keyhole, but no keyhole or handles at all.

    A glint of red flickers off to the side, near the pillars of corpses

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Sy kicks the door lightly. "What kind of dumb door doesn't have a lock?" It was almost like they didn't want him to pick it. Incredible.

    As he turns back around towards Dang, a flicker of red catches his attention back over by the corpses he had seen by the pillars.

    He walks back over to try and search for its source.

    Taking a stab at perception here but can roll investigation of you want

    Geth, roll 1d20+12 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+12 19 [1d20=7]

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sy looks closer and finds that one of the corpses has an eye of red crystal in it’s right socket.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Dang the Thief

    Dang sighs. He begins to carefully move from corpse to corpse, giving everyone holding out a bowl or their open hands two coins each. This is going to waste time.

    Hit me with a price, I didn’t buy much at all.

    No backsies now the Thing has been found for this area.

    Endless_Serpents on
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    Well that's certainly not natural. Sy closes in on the body with the red crystal. He reaches out a hand, hesitates as he thinks better of it, but then snatches the crystal out of the eye, holding it up too late to get a better look.

    Remember what I said about dumb stuff

    kime
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Dang provides coins to the dead.

    Spend 138 GP

    Dang gains the Boon of Pennies for Heaven!
    Once while delving the Pyramid, you may make the following attack:
    20 ft. Radius sphere within 100 ft., target all creatures within the sphere. Creatures must make a successful DC 17 wisdom saving throw for half damage, or full damage on a failed save. Damage is equal to 1 radiant damage for every 100gp you spend (declared before saves are rolled) up to 10,000gp spent.


    Sy plucks out the Crystal eye, feeling sharp pain in his own eyes.
    Please roll a Charisma saving throw

    You have acquired a Red Crystal Eye! It thrums with mysterious power! You may spend a bonus action to attune to it

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kimeAustinP0027Endless_SerpentsBursar
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Does choosing to attune matter based on the save?

    Also @Endless_Serpents, does Dang have any attunement slots open?

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for CHA Save

    CHA Save:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang the Worried

    Nah, I’m fully attuned.

    His Holiness turns from the last corpse, letting the coins fall from his hands.

    “Aiyah! Do not just pull a crystal from a skull’s eye. You’re supposed to use a crowbar and wrap it in cloth until you can inspect it later. Did you not bring a crowbar?”

    Dang gets out his censer, attaches and lights a block of incense, then swings it around as he casually leaves the shrine.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    You feel a sharp pain, your vision blurring and tinting as you feel your eyes transmogrify.

    Dang can only watch as Sy’s eyes become crystal simulacra of their previous state.

    Sy has received the Curse of the Crystal Eyes!
    Until you are resurrected, you have disadvantage on all skill checks involving sight!

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    But Not the Dang Too Worried

    “I’ll be out here when you finish being cursed.”, he calls over his shoulder.

    MatevkimeThe BraysterAustinP0027
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Gotta Catch The Maw

    Brygos had been serpentining back and forth along the bridge as they made their way towards the gate, hoping to notice if anything was tracking his movement. Now, having reached the immense gate without being struck by lightning or met by phalanxes of imps, he reaches out carefully and rattles the gate slightly.

    You never know. It might be unlocked!


    Feel free to interrupt this post if we
    do get struck by lightning or harassed by previously unseen guards before reaching the other end of the bridge, but Brygos and his companions within 30ft can't be surprised.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    His hands to go his face as his vision blurs and tints. He feels his eyes change throughout the pain. "Arrrggh" the words slip out of his mouth before he has a chance to stop them.

    After a moment of heavy breaths and feeling around on his face, Sy stands back upright and looks around. His sight has clearly changed, and not for the better. Looking down, he is still holding the red crystal, and with a sigh he admits to himself that he should have stopped while he was ahead. Apparently that karma came back around already.

    Still, what's done is done, and if he suffered for the prize, he might as well claim it. Sy focuses in on the crystal, building the connection with it, even as he feels himself get weaker in the process.

    Yeah, deserved that one. I'm guessing it'll end with me dying sooner rather than later.

    What's the process for resurrections for items found inside? Do they carry over or do they drop in place for everyone else to pick them up?

    Also, I guess I'll attune to the crystal, which will break one of my attunements. Goodbye gloves of Ogre Strength.

    kime
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Azara

    Azara could do nought but grimace as she beheld the fate of her companions eyes.

    "By the will of all the heavens and hells, our quest is cursed enough without blatantly tempting fate like this"

    She observes Dangs' departure from over her shoulder with a dismissive tut before turning back to Sy.

    "I suppose I could volunteer to be your eyes for now. Let me have a look, at least"


    Assuming Azara could do anything to help, which is a BIG assumption, I'm not sure what roll would be best for learning anything further about the crystal eye/the curse, if anything is to be learned at all.

    Investigation? Medicine? Arcana?

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Brygos approaches the Maw, he can see a fiery light in the darkness, and the swirl of ashes issuing from it's throat. No door blocks the way, and on forehead of the great skull is the image of a titan bearing a volcano on it's back.

    ***

    Sy has attuned with the Eye of Shadowsight! Expose that which is hidden in the world!
    You may see through the eye, even if you are not holding it. While looking through the eye, you can see invisible creatures and see through illusions.

    Azara can use Arcana or Religion to examine Sy's eyes, as you're fairly certain this isn't a sickness or mortal malady

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Does that replace my sight as in looking around I see through it or do I need to specify looking through it?

  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Azara leans in close to try to discern what she can about the eye. In her attempts to research the magical nature of her tattoo, Azara spent (far too much) time poring over tome after tome, borrowed from the libraries of noble patrons. Perhaps something she learned could be relevant here...

    Geth, roll 1d20+5+5 for Arcana

    Arcana:
    1d20+5+5 12 [1d20=2]

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    You will need to specify looking through it as it is different from your normal eyes

    Sometimes, with it comes to magic and magic items, the act of learning and casting the spell or using the item is sufficient to be able to use it, otherwise, more pronounced or powerful spells or items can extract greater prices for meddling with the universe

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    Sy

    "Just leave them." Sy tells Azara. "Even if you could heal them, we can't waste the resources. If we get out of here and they are still bad, I'll let you hea them tomorrow."

    Sy keeps the red gem in his left hand for now, needing to decide where to slip it for easy access. "We should probably join up with the others."

    No reason to possibly burn a spell slot even if this is able to be healed. Either he'll die and it's gone IR if he wakes up in the living world with it, can try healing it then.

    If Azara and Dang are done with the Shrine, I'm good with joining the others on the Bridge.

    AustinP0027 on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Naxtori

    "Oh. My. Gods. Hey, hey!" She shouts at Brygos (and doesn't honestly remember his name). "I figured it out." Nax looks like a young elven man now, very excited. "Look!" She points at the pyramid.

    "The pyramid is upside down!" She waits, looking proud, eyes glowing a bright red light.

    She waits another moment. When no one responds, she shrugs. Must take them a while to process.

    "Anyways, it was just us, right?" She looks around at those by the bridge and gate (Naxtori, Brygos, and maybe Thane). "Shall we go in?" She moves as if to go through the Maw, and will proceed unless anyone feels like stopping her and waiting/investigating more.

    The others will presumably catch up soon.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    BursarEndless_Serpents
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "We should enter together - every gate will have its keeper, of one sort or another. Look, here come more of the others." Thane blinks at Sy's crystalline faceted eyes as he nears. "I see things have started well. Can you see? Or can you see more?"

    Thane turns his attention to the iron skull, peering into the darkness behind the maw and trying to discern any threats.

    "Hmm. Could be the teeth."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Big Dang Hero

    With a rev of his broom, the monk rises into the air again. He does a Top Gun flyby of the party and heads straight for the maw.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

    "I see fine." Sy lies. "And for my trouble, I have something that will help us inside." He hold out the crystal to show the group. "Now, door seems to be open. Do we just walk in?"

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Well, no one has the burning urge to stop forward movement, so onwards adventurers



    The Scrying Fire

    fqx2ygq18qdg.png

    You walk through the dark for a a shorter period of time than the darkness had you lead you to believe it would take to move through it.

    You emerge into a chamber where a foul brimstone smell assails your nostrils, volcanic ash swirling up and around from a massive pit of fire in the center of the chamber. A pair of demonic skeletons are partially bricked into alcoves to the east and west.

    On the far of the chamber, a large brass throne sits. Upon it is the corpse of a mermaid wearing a dried octopus with flaking paint as a headdress, the tentacles arranged around her shoulders and chest. Wires and tubes run from her torso into the throne. A silver oar she is holding with her artificial left arm has lightning leaping to it to objects on her chest.

    Large statues of Tiefling men flank the throne, holding fiery lanterns crafted from skulls.

    Other than the way you came in, the only other obvious exit is to the west, left from where you entered.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Does corpse of mermaid mean dead mermaid (not moving)? Or does corpse mean undead mermaid (moving)?

    If it's the second, is it looking at us?

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It is not moving, eyes are unblinking looking forward.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    To clarify, if geometry applies here, we are through the maw and now in the bottom / tip area of the upside-down pyramid? Is this space bound by walls? Do we see anything *up*?

    There may be a typo or autocorrect in the description of the oar - is lightning coming from the oar and going into her chest and then fed from tubes/wires into the throne? Or the opposite (if there is a discernable flow)?

    **

    Many DOOM vibes here, loving it! Also, I will be traveling @12 hours tomorrow, will be able to post from phone for the part of it I'm not driving. Thereafter, I'll have PC access again and more regular ability to contribute woo!


    Thane can't help but smile as he follows Big Fat Dang into almost certain doom. "He lives with abandon, let's hope he doesn't die with it as well."

    The mermaid is the obvious gatekeeper, but the flanking demonic skeletons immediately raise Thane's hackles. Softly, "Alright, then."

    Thane casts Thaumatrugy.

    Thane strides forward a few steps and plants his feet. The butt of his warhammer, hafted almost long enough to resemble a staff, strikes the gound once, twice, three times, and booming echoes ring throughout the chamber, ridden by his amplified voice.

    "KEEPERS OF THE COIN-TAKER'S MANSE, RISE AND ANSWER ME. WE ARE COME TO CLAIM WHAT WAS TAKEN, WHAT WAS GIVEN, AND WHATEVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE. IT IS TIME TO DO YOUR WORK, AND DIE AGAIN. RISE."

    fadingathedges on
    AustinP0027MatevEndless_Serpents
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Naxtori

    Nax grins, speaks an unintelligible word, and uses Minor Illusion to create a hovering crown made of black fire above Thane's head.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MatevfadingathedgesEndless_Serpents
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The electricity seems to be flowing from the oar to the chest.

    As to geometry, I can do you one better, voila!


    dpyzqvtbmfog.png

    The mermaid sits up straighter in the throne, her dead eyes fixing on Thane. She rasps in a watery voice.

    "I can hear you just fine, gods above! You must be fun at parties. Look, just because Charon has me look after this place doesn't mean I'm going to sully myself fighting mortals like you. And fortunately for you, old Fever Coral isn't feeling like smiting you tonight. No, this is just a vestibule for the Grotto of Internment, which is a domain of Erebus, Charon's father and the jailor of the lands beneath. It is a place where supplicants may go to lay the restless dead to rest." She smiles with blackened, cracked teeth.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    kimefadingathedgesBursar
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    :D I totally was thinking "40% this is just a regular hallway in these parts!

    Thane abruptly cuts off a pyrotechnics display a la Tim.

    "ERR . .. GOOD....ahem," letting the spell fall, "Very good. How are you?"

    Matev
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    :D I totally was thinking "40% this is just a regular hallway in these parts!

    Thane abruptly cuts off a pyrotechnics display a la Tim.

    "ERR . .. GOOD....ahem," letting the spell fall, "Very good. How are you?"

    Naxtori does not stop the black fire crown. She thinks it looks good on you.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MatevfadingathedgesEndless_Serpents
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    "I've had worse evenings. This should prove to be a more interesting one if half of what you were belting was true. I would ask if you think it wise to be challenging the gods, but you would not come here, were you wise."

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Thane nods cooly. "Oh, we're way more than not wise enough."

    "So. Be entertained -- and share with us a map of the temple. How often, after all, does such a troupe of players come to town as us? And perhaps there is something in it for you - a table to match that chair, or a boat to go with that oar? Help us."

    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Persuasion

    E: F. Good night!

    Persuasion:
    1d20+8 9 [1d20=1]

    fadingathedges on
    kime
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but this wasn't it. Still, in his experience it never hurts to be nice to the gatekeeper. Professional courtesy and all.

    "Our apologies, Madam Caretaker. We do not plan to be staying as long as some of the visitors here. While we are certainly prepared for battle, I personally would hold no quarrel with those who would not seek to stop us. Are you saying that there are those who regularly come here for the purpose of... re-defeating those spirits who are not ready for their final rest here?"

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    kime
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Her laughter is like a brackish brook trickling over algae-covered rocks.

    "Ah, but where would the fun be in that? Mayhap you will earn such a boon if you prove worthy. My wants are beyond what mere common comforts you can offer."

    Her gaze lazily turns to regard Brygos.

    "I am saying those who might find a path to underworld with their corporeal bodies intact might wish to be interred in a place worthy of holding their remains. Or that those who cannot bear the strain of the afterlife must find rest somewhere, even if their spark of Chaos has moved on elsewhere."

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos the Scholarly

    The minotaur nods and fetches a quill and parchment from his bags. This is good stuff they'll want to know back home!

    Carl Feevir, tubular mersonage of the Grawdo(?) of Enterntainment. Pepl come Ⅱ fight the undead dead -- those who came w/ bodies, or who wish Ⅱ pass on from even this afterlife. Sprk of Kaos?

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    MatevEndless_Serpents
Sign In or Register to comment.