As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Tox wrote: »
    Perfect
    Shadow
    Larvitar

I have named him Darth Tyré

So. You can TM away frustration this weekend apparently. Anybody know what happens if you TM away frustration, then evolve?

e: looks like you can so I there goes half my Charge TMs

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Caught a perfect Helioptile which feels nice, as I only have a handful of perfect Pokemon.

edited January 2022
    Yeah I was hoping for a better one than I have, Heliolisk seems cool.

e: I was torn on my Nidorino. 2 off perfect Defense and HP, perfect Attack, and Shadow, so if I did purify, he'd be perfect. But also, shadow Nidoking, so.

Tox on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, uh, has this button always been there?

7xk49cwxg5yh.jpeg
    Because it’s like a whole new game…

Also the Alloa starters may be the cutest of all.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It was very quietly added a month or so ago.

Yeah, it makes the game run fantastic, but beware it's a big draw on your battery.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife was quite happy over the weekend because she had the time to integrate a feature that Reddit users were requesting. Can't say what it is yet and it won't be in the game proper for a few months though, but I'll let everyone know when it drops and what it is.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    God help me I reinstalled this game. I was just going to do it to move stuff from here to HOME, but the stupid poke transporter has a cooldown (especially when moving shinies/legendaries) so I needed to keep it installed. *sigh* Been playing a little bit. The game was always fun, but the frustrations are still there too... I think I'll hate it less if I just stay away from raids and all the "hardcore" type activities. It's much less stressful to play super casually...

(that said, for "sitting around my house" and "checking the parking lot when I went out for dinner" on community, I will consider 3 shinies to be winning)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited April 2022
    Well I never got that Shadow Lugia but on the plus side I've got two Shadow Latias...es?

And managed a couple more perfects, and a pretty damn good Shiny Venusaur.

e: Oh also kinda proud of this guy too:
    gcboa744tmza.png

Tox on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    thats like a -1 star scyther lol

OK, since the patch is out I can spill the beans. My wife got this thing integrated:

Quality of Life
    Trainers will now be able to search for Pokémon with multiple words in their name
    Trainers will now be able to search for any Pokémon that do not have a particular tag by using “!Tag” or “!#Tag”

Having not played Pokemon Go, I don't know why this was a big deal, but apparently people are pretty happy with it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    !Tag would be great for multi delete crush into Pokemon chow, I guess.
    (You're not going to tag things you don't want to keep, and deleting after a catching spree is faster than one by one as you catch)

Not sure about multiple words.
    I guess people might name pokes for things other than as alternate stat line filters.

discrider on
    The wife and I attended the Community Day event in Phoenix, AZ. She was there helping the two people running the event. Having years of people experience, I jumped in to help out and ended up almost running the whole thing. 😅

I’d say about 400-500 people that showed up. Lots of people dressed up. All the swag was gone in like 30 minutes. Hopefully they’ll do more live events there in the future.

Here’s the line that wrapped around the corner:
    ote44tt03jj7.jpeg

I spent most of my time taking photos of people in front of the Niantic logo. Probably took 300 pictures. Fun times!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I think the most interesting thing about community day to introduce new pokes is the choice on special moves. So far the cd events I've participated in, the special charge move is ... not great. Not always bad, bit sometimes! And I think that's fine, because then the only reason someone would have that move on a poke is if they got it on community day; so it ends up working like a subtle little distinction, which I think is neat!

Working on the Celebi quest with my wife and we both got our espeons and are grinding out umbreons.

Also working on Professor's Research; I found codes for sale on ebay, not even $4 for codes for both of us

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the nerf to the incense and the shorter duration completely killed Community Days for me. :(

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    the nerf to the incense and the shorter duration completely killed Community Days for me. :(

I thought with event timers the incense actually ends up lasting way longer? It's just that when you crunch the numbers, it ends up being less encounters if you're not moving around, I thought.

Still, I get it, I just basically never use any of that stuff. Which is lame because I have a ton of those items (incense, egg, star metal), I just never think to use them. Plus I'd prefer to use it in connection with a Lure, and those I actually am a bit thinner on atm

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you get way less encounters now
    even with more time on incense.
    I don't like going out :(

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think the most interesting thing about community day to introduce new pokes is the choice on special moves. So far the cd events I've participated in, the special charge move is ... not great. Not always bad, bit sometimes! And I think that's fine, because then the only reason someone would have that move on a poke is if they got it on community day; so it ends up working like a subtle little distinction, which I think is neat!

Working on the Celebi quest with my wife and we both got our espeons and are grinding out umbreons.

Also working on Professor's Research; I found codes for sale on ebay, not even $4 for codes for both of us

community day moves have almost exclusively become PVP focused, I don't think there's been one thats better than standard for PVE since Garchomp (and I'd expect other pseudo-legends to continue to get good PVE moves)

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »

community day moves have almost exclusively become PVP focused, I don't think there's been one thats better than standard for PVE since Garchomp (and I'd expect other pseudo-legends to continue to get good PVE moves)

The move for the Bulbasaur community day is pretty good. Frenzy Plant, I think? But that was a Classic

I think my only real gripe right now is (since we're doing an eevee based research and also recently hunted flower-crown eevees), there's no permanent, predicable way to guarantee the o3 eeveelutions. Which is weird not only because the other 5 all have endlessly reproducible ways to evolve into specific ones, but also there's no real precedent for that to be so.

Hell, at least let me have some sort of gym/team based item or rule to at least guarantee "my" eeveelution

I've also ranked the eeveelution shinies and for me it's

S - Umbreon
    A - Syveon
    B - Leafeon and Glaceon
    C - Espeon and Vaporeon
    D - Jolteon, Flareon, and Eevee

Shiny Flareon bugs me because those colors would be perfect for a weird Normal type eeveelution. Jolteon is the weird neon green and Eevee is just boring
    Espeon is weird but it's basically an alien psychic cat so it kinda works. Vaporeon is "generic shiny water type purple" but at least it's consistent
    Leafeon and Glaceon are subtle and feel like just redos but I like them.

Sylveon and Umbreon are the best and I have no argument with anyone who reverses their order, I just happen to like Umbreon's shiny more than their regular

I think my only real gripe right now is (since we're doing an eevee based research and also recently hunted flower-crown eevees), there's no permanent, predicable way to guarantee the o3 eeveelutions. Which is weird not only because the other 5 all have endlessly reproducible ways to evolve into specific ones, but also there's no real precedent for that to be so.

Hell, at least let me have some sort of gym/team based item or rule to at least guarantee "my" eeveelution

I've also ranked the eeveelution shinies and for me it's

S - Umbreon
    A - Syveon
    B - Leafeon and Glaceon
    C - Espeon and Vaporeon
    D - Jolteon, Flareon, and Eevee

Shiny Flareon bugs me because those colors would be perfect for a weird Normal type eeveelution. Jolteon is the weird neon green and Eevee is just boring
    Espeon is weird but it's basically an alien psychic cat so it kinda works. Vaporeon is "generic shiny water type purple" but at least it's consistent
    Leafeon and Glaceon are subtle and feel like just redos but I like them.

Sylveon and Umbreon are the best and I have no argument with anyone who reverses their order, I just happen to like Umbreon's shiny more than their regular

vpvqrui7i025.jpg

Oh, shouting possible game improvements out into the void might actually work? Okay, here goes:

I'd love for the ability to search Pokemon by family - you know, a way that is mostly by Pokedex number, but groups together Pokemon that were introduced in different generations. For instance, gathering together Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey. Or all the Eeveelutions.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, shouting possible game improvements out into the void might actually work? Okay, here goes:

I'd love for the ability to search Pokemon by family - you know, a way that is mostly by Pokedex number, but groups together Pokemon that were introduced in different generations. For instance, gathering together Happiny, Chansey, and Blissey. Or all the Eeveelutions.

Put a + before the name.
    "+eevee" shows all regular eevee and all eeveelutions. "+chan" shows that family etc.

You do need to have one of the mon you specify, though, so if you have pikachu and raichu but no pichu, then "+pika" will find them, but "+pichu" won't.

I mean, if we're shouting improvements into the void, not having me click a pokemon and the game goes to a white screen and never shows anything again until I reset it would be a nice improvement :P (seriously happened like three times during community day)

In any case, I somehow got like 17 shinies and a 100% perfect non-shiny so I'm pretty satisfied with this community day (and that's only playing for ~an hour and a half).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I only messed around for about an hour and got 5 shinies and a decent 3 star non shiny that I actually evolved.

Grobian wrote: »

Put a + before the name.
    "+eevee" shows all regular eevee and all eeveelutions. "+chan" shows that family etc.

You do need to have one of the mon you specify, though, so if you have pikachu and raichu but no pichu, then "+pika" will find them, but "+pichu" won't.

But I don't wanna futz around in HTML. I want to click a button and have them arranged all pretty.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I don't know what to tell you. If you want a sensible UI you are playing the wrong game.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

Is that not what the “show evolutionary line” option does? When I search “Eevee” and tick that option, it shows all the eeveelutions.

Or have I misunderstood what you want?

pezgen wrote: »

Is that not what the “show evolutionary line” option does? When I search “Eevee” and tick that option, it shows all the eeveelutions.

Where's that? The only sorting options I see are by recent, favorite, number, HP, name, and combat power.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

Where's that? The only sorting options I see are by recent, favorite, number, HP, name, and combat power.

You said search in the post pegzen responded to. If you search a poke, there is a “show evolutionary line” tickbox. None of the sort modes do that, no.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited April 2022

Not my favorite choice (but I mean, Stufful was a cool one). Wonder if this will have normal Geodude too like they did with Sandshrew. It feels weird to me if they don't do that (kinda sounds like they aren't?).

Warlock82 on
    Yeah I'd like a pokedex that sorts into evolution order, ordered by lowest number in the family.

So pichu would be listed right before Pikachu/Raichu, but would have their regular number, etc

edited April 2022
    https://youtu.be/E9OryUg0h5M

This is the new functionality my wife's team designed. It's her first big update since joining Niantic. She's pretty excited to see the feedback (hopefully it's positive, but it's the internet so....).

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Not my favorite choice (but I mean, Stufful was a cool one). Wonder if this will have normal Geodude too like they did with Sandshrew. It feels weird to me if they don't do that (kinda sounds like they aren't?).

So I heard there was a little bit of ...scandal? around the last couple community days? Is this just the incense stuff or did something else happen?

I finally didn't complete a collection challenge. Couldn't get Gloom to spawn at any of the Lures I was able to get/use. Annoying, but not the end of the world

I've never mega-evolved a Pokemon, but if the update gets more people attempting the mega-raids, or I can take them myself, then maybe I'll get enough mega candy at some point.

discrider wrote: »
    I've never mega-evolved a Pokemon, but if the update gets more people attempting the mega-raids, or I can take them myself, then maybe I'll get enough mega candy at some point.

There's a quest chain special research, A Mega Discovery, that gets you enough energy to mega evolve Beedrill.

And in February(?) they gave out a shitload of Steelix mega energy. I haven't evolved one yet though.

Also there's been field research tasks that have been awarding mega energy for a few different pokes

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

This is the new functionality my wife's team designed. It's her first big update since joining Niantic. She's pretty excited to see the feedback (hopefully it's positive, but it's the internet so....).

I think I've mega evolved one Pokemon in the past, purely for the special research Tox mentioned. The change here meaning we can redo the mega evolution over and over for the same Pokemon means I might actually give it a try now - it always felt like a huge resource drain for just one go in a raid (which I don't do that often anyway).

I'm just one random dude, but I really like the described Mega updates. Just the ability to mega evolve while in a raid queue is a godsend.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular

At least on paper the changes look fantastic, I hope they are received well by the community.

edited April 2022

As someone who didn't bother to interact with the mega evolution system at all (it was implemented when I wasn't playing and coming back the barrier to entry seemed way too high for what it was), this comes across as a much more reasonable implementation of the system. I just hope the nerf to the Mega raids means I can solo them now. I probably still won't bother if that isn't the case (though if I get enough from random sources to do some of them I still might, since it's "free" now which is great).

Warlock82 on