As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Trial and Error

1161719212245

Posts

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    mr smite isn't actually a problem card he just feels bad

    liEt3nH.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Ramp Druid has a ton of non-dragons, so how would they cheat it out besides the rare game where they draw every minion besides Onyxia?

    Sorry, I wasn’t very clear with my previous post, I meant to say let’s Druids *potentially* cheat it out. I don’t think they would give them lightning bloom again but more ramp tools aren’t outside the realms of possibility. Or some sort of degeneracy with aquatic form.

    Current state they wouldn’t be able to cheat it out before like turn 5-6 anyways, not a huge problem really.

  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    With DH do you play Metamorfin turn 1 for tempo or hold it for a value turn?

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 23
    I wouldn't waste a tempo card like multistrike/fury just to get a turn one 3/4 personally unless you're on the coin and answering your opponent's turn 1 play

    Beasteh on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    It's only correct if they're a non minion deck. In Standard that's really just Switcheroo Priest.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste a tempo card like multistrike/fury just to get a turn one 3/4 personally unless you're on the coin and answering your opponent's turn 1 play
    That's not quite the scenario I'm talking about. I'm saying more something like turn 1 I could 1/2 Metamorfin or just hero power, but maybe I've got Chaos Strike or something in hand, so I could wait until 3 to play the Meta as a 3/4.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'd say just hero power. The 1/2 isn't worth losing out on a midgame taunt later.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • übergeekübergeek Registered User regular
    Possibly a dumb question, but since the Friday maintenance, my Mercenaries bounty board is only giving me a new Chromie bounty every day, the new system of giving for random heroes has stopped. Is it just me, couldn't find anything on reddit or the blizz forums about that issue.

    camo_sig.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Seems unlikely, but it's the only thing I can think of: is it possible you've completed all the tasks for every merc you own?

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    Smrtnik
  • übergeekübergeek Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Seems unlikely, but it's the only thing I can think of: is it possible you've completed all the tasks for every merc you own?

    Far from it, I think i have about 20 more to go. I did a bit more digging and I found 1 guy in the Blizz forums who has the same problem. Since it started on Friday I'm guessing no one will be looking at it until later in the week anyway. I'm sitting on 75 packs as it is, so they can take their time.

    camo_sig.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Damn, that's a lot of packs. Do you have basically all mercs unlocked then?

    Are you still able to get tasks from the Mysterious Stranger? And when you do does it properly give you the full chain?

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I legit had a perfect BG game going, all wins the entire game, then it came down to top 2 and I hadn't fought this dude all game and he crushes my Spicy Pretzel Mustard hopes and dreams like a goddamn grape

    FUCK THIS GAME

    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    bwaniekime
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    dibby you say fuck this game as easily as you breathe it's lost all meaning to us

    liEt3nH.png
    rahkeesh2000The JudgeDelduwathBeastehYiliasDibbyAlphagaiaThe Escape GoatElvenshaekime
  • übergeekübergeek Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Damn, that's a lot of packs. Do you have basically all mercs unlocked then?

    Are you still able to get tasks from the Mysterious Stranger? And when you do does it properly give you the full chain?

    I have everyone unlocked and at 30, I can get Strangers, but the grind comp gave me 3 randoms that I had already finished, and I don't have an easy way to figure out who I maxed out and who I didn't. Since it gave me 3 completed mercs I just got the coins.

    camo_sig.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Damn, that's a lot of packs. Do you have basically all mercs unlocked then?

    Are you still able to get tasks from the Mysterious Stranger? And when you do does it properly give you the full chain?

    I have everyone unlocked and at 30, I can get Strangers, but the grind comp gave me 3 randoms that I had already finished, and I don't have an easy way to figure out who I maxed out and who I didn't. Since it gave me 3 completed mercs I just got the coins.
    Man that's lame. It's sad how half-baked this mode is.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    übergeek
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Had some more dumb fun in Wild tonight knocking out dailies/weeklies with Deathrattle Rogue. I'm actually over 50% win rate with it, but I haven't been running into too much of the crazy shit at my crap rank.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I suspect I won't be able to make it to even Diamond 5 in Wild this month. I've tried a bunch of different decks (aggro DH, pirates Warrior, mech Paladin, mech Mage), and it seems like no matter what, I'm at 50% win rate. Every time I win, it seems to be because of good draws on my part/bad draws or misplays on their part; every time I lose, it seems to be because it's a trick deck that gets their perfect combo perfectly, or because that deck happens to be the perfect counter to whatever I'm playing now. Ah well, the E-Z dominance of questline Baku Hunter was a ton of fun but of course couldn't last forever.

    The Judgeforty
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I was rolling with Wild Buff Paladin until Plat-2 and now it's back to 50/50 ball.

    Last pint: Fresh Outta Portland 2022 / Migration
    Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I was playing mine warlock (similar to owlock) and lost to what I thought was control warrior, who instead turned out to be combo warrior, using the discount all minions played card + the 9/9 charge, faceless, and adjacent minions get wind fury to hit me for 36 from an empty board. Too bad I only had 35 health I guess.

  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Every time I win, it seems to be because of good draws on my part/bad draws or misplays on their part; every time I lose, it seems to be because it's a trick deck that gets their perfect combo perfectly, or because that deck happens to be the perfect counter to whatever I'm playing now.
    The terrible secret of Hearthstone.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Damn, that's a lot of packs. Do you have basically all mercs unlocked then?

    Are you still able to get tasks from the Mysterious Stranger? And when you do does it properly give you the full chain?

    I have everyone unlocked and at 30, I can get Strangers, but the grind comp gave me 3 randoms that I had already finished, and I don't have an easy way to figure out who I maxed out and who I didn't. Since it gave me 3 completed mercs I just got the coins.
    Man that's lame. It's sad how half-baked this mode is.

    So much of mercs just seems like filler content. Like the goal is to push progress in heroics, but doing that require a lot of montonous repitition in trivial content before hand.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    fortyDibbySmrtnik
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Damn, that's a lot of packs. Do you have basically all mercs unlocked then?

    Are you still able to get tasks from the Mysterious Stranger? And when you do does it properly give you the full chain?

    I have everyone unlocked and at 30, I can get Strangers, but the grind comp gave me 3 randoms that I had already finished, and I don't have an easy way to figure out who I maxed out and who I didn't. Since it gave me 3 completed mercs I just got the coins.
    Man that's lame. It's sad how half-baked this mode is.

    So much of mercs just seems like filler content. Like the goal is to push progress in heroics, but doing that require a lot of montonous repitition in trivial content before hand.
    Or a lot of $, which I can't imagine anyone is spending at this point because the reward for progress is basically nonexistent.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Nerfs incoming:

    Standard:

    Pirate Warrior Questline is getting an additional number on its final step. (3/3/2 ->3/3/3)
    Pufferfist is losing a health, from 3/4 to 3/3.
    Switcheroo now swaps Health only instead of stats.
    Miracle Growth now costs 8 Mana, up from 7.
    Kazakusan’s activation requirement is getting changed. He’ll now read “Battlecry: If you’ve played 4 other Dragons this game, craft a custom deck of Treasures.

    Wild:

    Kael’thas is getting a textbox revert to Every third spell you cast each turn costs (1).
    Switcheroo is banned

    Thats not enough to hit Pirate Warrior. I don't even think it makes a dent.
    Also not enough, this card is still gonna wreck people.
    Switcheroo is a decent tutor still I guess.
    Just means that its more likely its a 10/10 taunt. Druid ramps enough this doesn't matter.
    This is a good Kazakusan change. Sadly it pigeonholes it into a Dragon Control card and Druids may still run it but it won't be in Ramp Druid which is good. This kills Ramp Drud's ability to beat other control decks. But they can still drop bombs and body midrange decks.

    Overall I think this will increase the frequency of real control decks who would previously auto-lose to Ramp Druid. I don't think Pirate Warrior winrate is gonna change all that much. I think we see even more aggro DH which only slightly got touched by the Pufferfist change.

  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Slowing the Warrior questline down by 1 last year was enough to pretty much wipe it out of the meta.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Slowing the Warrior questline down by 1 last year was enough to pretty much wipe it out of the meta.

    There wasn't nearly as much pirate tribal support as there is now.

  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Smite still needs to eat a nerf, and “fires two shots on weapon swing” pirate needs to be 4 mana.

    I still think mechashark needs to not go face too.

  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I was playing mine warlock (similar to owlock) and lost to what I thought was control warrior, who instead turned out to be combo warrior, using the discount all minions played card + the 9/9 charge, faceless, and adjacent minions get wind fury to hit me for 36 from an empty board. Too bad I only had 35 health I guess.

    sorry can anyone give me the names of these cards? I'm intrigued but don't recognize anything apart from faceless

    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That would be Captain Galvangar and Battleground Battlemaster.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    fortyronzo
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    That would be Captain Galvangar and Battleground Battlemaster.
    And "To The Front!"

    This is the deck.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Took 15 games to get from Wild Plat-3 to Diamond, but at least I've hit the floor.

    Every single game that would induce an extra-star streak was hit with Priest-Switcheroo or, surprisingly enough, Zoo TWICE with the stone nuts/me with dead draw.

    Last pint: Fresh Outta Portland 2022 / Migration
    Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    forty
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    God dammit. I managed to luck into a win streak from like Platinum 4 all the way to one win away from dad legend using the VS Naga DH list, when I ran into a DH who went first and was playing some goofy ass deck that seemed tech for beating other DHs. The fucker played two Chaos Novas and was packing lifesteal to clear shit and keep himself out of range. I don't know how it fares against the rest of the field, but it worked well against what I was playing.

    Edit: Followed by a turn 1 loss to some sort of control Mage.
    Dibby wrote: »
    FUCK THIS GAME

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    Dibby
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    The Judge wrote: »
    Took 15 games to get from Wild Plat-3 to Diamond, but at least I've hit the floor.

    Every single game that would induce an extra-star streak was hit with Priest-Switcheroo or, surprisingly enough, Zoo TWICE with the stone nuts/me with dead draw.

    A Chinese Player brought this Control Paladin to Legend #1.

    I've been winstreaking it to Diamond 3 at the moment. It's very fun and versatile.

    ### Control
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 1x (1) Holy Maki Roll
    # 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
    # 2x (2) Battle Vicar
    # 2x (2) City Tax
    # 2x (2) Equality
    # 2x (2) Flash of Light
    # 1x (2) Ring of Courage
    # 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 1x (3) Acolyte of Pain
    # 2x (3) Righteous Defense
    # 2x (3) Shimmering Sunfish
    # 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
    # 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
    # 1x (4) Cariel Roame
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 1x (6) Mr. Smite
    # 1x (7) Immortalized in Stone
    # 1x (7) Lightforged Cariel
    # 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
    # 1x (7) The Leviathan
    # 2x (10) The Garden's Grace
    #
    AAECAb7jAwz76AOR7AOm7wO/gATgiwTVrASwsgTHsgTbuQTQvQSc1ATw8QQJzOsDi/gDt4AE7p8E0KwE170E2r0EktQEodQEAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone


    Edit: just noticed you were talking bout Wild.
    My mistake.

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
    emnmnme
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    That would be Captain Galvangar and Battleground Battlemaster.
    And "To The Front!"

    This is the deck.

    This is the deck. They must have also hit 3 of the combo pieces with “From the Depths” to get enough discounts to do the combo from zero board.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    This deck has me up to Diamond 2, I haven't seen anyone playing any variation of this:

    ### Sabertooth Control
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (0) Devouring Swarm
    # 2x (1) Barbed Nets
    # 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
    # 2x (2) Doggie Biscuit
    # 2x (2) Doomsayer
    # 2x (2) Selective Breeder
    # 2x (3) Harpoon Gun
    # 2x (3) Revive Pet
    # 1x (4) Ambassador Faelin
    # 2x (4) Azsharan Saber
    # 1x (5) Imported Tarantula
    # 2x (5) Pet Collector
    # 1x (5) The Rat King
    # 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
    # 1x (7) Hydralodon
    # 2x (7) Mountain Bear
    # 1x (9) King Krush
    #
    AAECAairBAjK+wOH/QPbkQSsnwThnwTlsATnuQSbyQQL6ukDlPwDw4AEqZ8E16ME5aQEwKwEnbAEwLkEg8gEndQEAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone


    Its got some really fun synergies and creates an insanely sticky board. Devouring Swarm is really good in this deck. I'll use it with any Saber, Pet Collector, Rat King, and even Hydralodon or Faelin. Dropping Faelin and using DS, then dropping him again next turn and Finley can be a blast. It can adapt to whatever deck I'm facing, mostly because Harpoon Gun, Tracking, and Revive Pet give the choices to get the cards needed for the matchup. I feel comfortable taking on aggro to control. Aggro has a hard time with the rush minions to clear their boards into non-stop Mountain Bears (Breeder'd, Devouring Swarm'd, Revive Pet). Control has a rough time with Rat Kings never going away and the upgraded Sabers making their board wipes feel real bad. Tavish using the new secret to summon 2 dormant minions of the one that just died is great for most any minion that I get out late game. Aggro just auto loses if I have that down with a Mountain Bear. Obviously the dream is to have that triggered by Krush, which I've done enough times for it to be a thing. I'm curious if I can make a serious push to Legend with this. Its got over a 50% win rate for me since playing it starting at around Diamond 5.

    Regardless of how far I get, this is the greatest joy I get from HS. Making my own decks that no one seems to be using and having success with them. I'm really proud of this one. Been tweaking it since the set launched and this version is in a really good spot.

    ObiFett on
    The JudgeH3KnucklesemnmnmeGrobianElvenshae
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I haven't seen one person play Elise or Finley yet. Monkey Idol can't hack it in 2022.

  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised about either. Even back in the day, Finley only really saw much play in aggro decks of classes that wanted to try to swap for a more useful aggro hero power (e.g., Warrior). And the only viable aggro Warrior deck now would only play Finley if he were a pirate.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    monkey idol could barely hack it when it came out

    liEt3nH.png
    The Escape GoatMarty81
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Core set Finley is pretty good in murlock-lock after the first couple of turns when you’re looking to close out the game with hunter/mage hp

  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Edit: just noticed you were talking bout Wild.
    My mistake.

    All good - I have that deck (minus Azshara and a Garden's Grace) for Standard but it's been sort of hit and miss since I want to play it like Buff and that's not quite the right call.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This deck has me up to Diamond 2, I haven't seen anyone playing any variation of this:
    .

    No Hydralodon so I put in an Imported Tarantula in there. First two games have been fun.

    Last pint: Fresh Outta Portland 2022 / Migration
    Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    ObiFettElvenshae
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    The Judge wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This deck has me up to Diamond 2, I haven't seen anyone playing any variation of this:
    .

    No Hydralodon so I put in an Imported Tarantula in there. First two games have been fun.

    Mulligan advice: Throw away everything else but Breeders, Saber, Harpoon, and Tracking. Pet Collector is a good keep if you have early drops. Against aggro keep nets and doomsayer. Against slower decks keep Tavish and Faelin.

    Oh, and be careful about trading biscuits. They are really good to give stuff that pops out from upgraded sabers rush.

    ObiFett on
Sign In or Register to comment.