As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

1373840424365

Posts

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. Retroarch is on Steam. You can probably use the Beetle Saturn emulator on it with no problems.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    Here is a multipurpose Ultima game patcher. All the Ultima game community patches in one spot. Works great on the gog versions.
    https://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/category/ultima-patcher/

    Works great to get the music from the other versions of Ultima 4 and 5 on the PC version.

    Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What was that one game where you play a ghost and you scare people?
    I forgot if it is a console game or a PC game.

  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 23
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What was that one game where you play a ghost and you scare people?
    I forgot if it is a console game or a PC game.

    If you’re talking about a Genesis game, you could be meaning Haunting: Starring Polterguy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunting_(video_game)

    Nitsua on
    Lindsay Lohancj iwakuraBetsuniShadowfire
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I love the fact that you paid less for the game now than when it was released.

    Funnily enough, that's true of CC's remaster for me. I believe it was $50 on the PS1 when it launched?

    It's true of many, but definitely different when it's an arguably collectible original copy (I assume?) of a 40+ year old game.

    The guy also included that copy of Zork I. Both are complete with all the feelies, and the Zork 2 is still in plastic.

    I think... I think I just robbed somebody.

    Nah. He just got tired of having it. That stuff piles up. He probably has a backup copy or has it on gog.

    Granted, it’s not something any normal person has the equipment to actually run.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What was that one game where you play a ghost and you scare people?
    I forgot if it is a console game or a PC game.

    Geist on the GameCube?

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What was that one game where you play a ghost and you scare people?
    I forgot if it is a console game or a PC game.

    If you’re talking about a Genesis game, you could be meaning Haunting: Starring Polterguy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunting_(video_game)

    That was the game.

    Nitsua
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Deck has gyro and it worked pretty well in Doom 2016.

    Its kind of an expensive and heavy device just for emulation though. That mega GPU is mostly wasted. The Ayn Odin gets pretty close as an emulation device and is a fair bit smaller/cheaper.

  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I don't generally pre-order games as a rule, so I'll just wait until I can actually buy.

    I have no idea what platform I'm going to buy on. On one hand it feels like a perfect switch game/collection... but I do have a shiny Steam Deck so buying it on Steam is possible for many of the same benefits.

    Probably comes down to whichever d-pad is less garbage... neither are too encouraging.

    I have yet to try the Steam Deck d-pad (*glares at empty email inbox, drums fingers*) but at its worst it's gonna be ten times better than trying to use the standard joycon one.

    Still, maybe they'll tune stick control on the Switch so it's okay. But yeah, one of those things the Switch should be ideal for, except for its control shortcomings. Pro controller or proper d-pad left joycon recommended, I think.

    My main interest in the steam deck is to use it to play retro and retro-inspired FPS games. The Switch is perfect for them in handheld and I'd have to imagine Steam Deck performs similarly with a much larger library of games to choose from. Although gyro controls (the main advantage of playing on the Switch) might be a problem. I'm not sure how all that works on the Steam Deck.

    Pretty well from what I've heard, and with Steam Input stuff you can customize exactly how it works to your heart's content. Seems like most things default to switching gyro on if your thumb is resting on the stick (the top of the sticks are capacitive), or probably the trackpad if you use that. You can switch it to the opposite if you'd rather so your thumb being off the stick activates gyro. Steam Input's options are incredibly comprehensive, and it's all tweakable. And of course you've got the four paddle-style buttons on the back (L4/L5/R4/R5) which can be configured to whatever you want too.

    The Switch's control layout in handheld has quickly driven me nuts for FPS games and similar, mainly due to the vertical alignment of the face controls on each side, so reaching the right stick involves shifting my hand more than is intuitive or comfortable. Not a problem when using a pro controller of course, but that's not much help when playing handheld. The Deck's control layout is by all accounts very easy to shift your thumb around on.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Might and Magic 9 seems fine. I heard it was buggy, but it seems ok.
    It does not let you set the resolution at all. I notice that with Might and Magic games.
    I'll try out MM8 next. That was also supposed to be buggy.

    Edit: MM8 starts out a little obtuse. Apparently, it am supposed to find a captain, but have no idea where he is at.

    It seems like the MM games just toss you in the game without much direction. They seem to be pretty well made though. They seem to have started out similar to Wizzardry games. More like dungeon crawlers.

    Oh. There was a MMX.

    Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif
    ReynoldsBlackDragon480BetsuniZonugaltsmvengy
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gunvalkyrie is a weird game. After the final level, you’re dropped face first into two boss fights with no chance to save, and feedback is so bad you have no idea if what you’re doing is in any way effective half the time.

    But I just beat that sumbitch and I have such a high going on right now and I’ll be damned if I can explain it.

    FRGYRK-UUAAopSY?format=png&name=900x900

    DoctorArch
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

    Will never watch this on the mere fact they didn't say "Gexplained"

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
    Shadowfirerahkeesh2000LBD_NytetraynXaquin
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    Someone born after 2000? I tried to play the original Leisure Suit Larry after buying it on gog. There's an age check before you start the game in the form of trivia questions only Boomers can answer and it took me three or four tries to get past it.

    MMMigwunderbarJazzBetsunishoeboxjeddyrahkeesh2000SmokeStacksLBD_NytetraynironsizideMechMantisSageinaRage
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Post questions or it didn't happen.

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    Someone born after 2000? I tried to play the original Leisure Suit Larry after buying it on gog. There's an age check before you start the game in the form of trivia questions only Boomers can answer and it took me three or four tries to get past it.

    Some of those GEX references are too old for me and I am 47!
    There is some 60s and 70s stuff in there.

  • TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Post questions or it didn't happen.

    My brother and I were about 6 and 8 trying to play this on my dad's computer when it first came out, I remember one question asking about OJ Simpson (obviously pre-murder. I think this was 87) and one about all politicians being ____________

    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148
    Steam: Archpriest
    Streaming games and playing music

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know if the gog version of LSL is cracked or not. It will have to try it out. I think you get the old one and the VGA one.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    It looks like you only get the old one on gog. There is a recent remake, but you have to pay for it.
    Hmm... I guess I will scrounge up the VGA version.

    Oh. It is on gog. Found it. It was buried in the GOG Galaxy menu.

    Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    Someone born after 2000? I tried to play the original Leisure Suit Larry after buying it on gog. There's an age check before you start the game in the form of trivia questions only Boomers can answer and it took me three or four tries to get past it.

    I am surprised they did not crack that. It was a bunch of nonsense. They stopped that in later games.
    The seventh game has allot of nudity and it had no questions at all.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    GoG has this free Deus Ex mod that really upgrades the game. It looks like you can still run the original too.
    It will have to see how they set that up.

    It looks like the mod can be switch on an off somehow.

    Krathoon on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    MLiG put out their promised LG C2 OLED TV gaming review, that became also a C1 review, although it's a bit long and ranty to watch unless you are seriously considering buying one of these. The TL;DW that you'd be hard pressed to find on any other TV review, is that the C2 is kind of bad for most Retro gaming uses. If the TV renders 4:3 at all (recieving a 4:3 signal, or being told to force something into 4:3), it adds a whopping 2-3 frames of lag, which is pretty serious for a TV that is otherwise at under a frame of lag in gaming mode. Meanwhile the C1 and earlier can still display 4:3 at under one frame. The C2 is also liable to glitch into a bad frame pacing mode if you supply it with odd resolutions, like 1920x1440 from a Mister or Retrotink, or 960p from an OSSC, which again the C1 seems to handle better. The only way you're likely to be able to enjoy retro content on this TV with its current firmware, is if you are able to output 1920x1080, putting the pillar-boxing into the signal itself to view 4:3 content. But with the C1 being so similar, and having more flexible BFI settings, it's hard to see why you would pick the C2 over it for retro.

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    Someone born after 2000? I tried to play the original Leisure Suit Larry after buying it on gog. There's an age check before you start the game in the form of trivia questions only Boomers can answer and it took me three or four tries to get past it.

    I am surprised they did not crack that. It was a bunch of nonsense. They stopped that in later games.
    The seventh game has allot of nudity and it had no questions at all.

    Google says the 7th game came out in 1996 so I assume by then it had an ESRB rating on the box.

    BlackDragon480
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    2011 isn't retro but that still reminds me of
    6gwsvGF.png

    StormwatchertsmvengyIceBurner
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    2011 may not feel retro but that was 11 years and 2 console generations ago.....

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Jazzrahkeesh2000BlackDragon480
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    11 years is the difference between Pitfall and Doom, it's more retro than we realise!

    Jazz on
    Nitsuarahkeesh2000BlackDragon480
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    JazzNitsuaBetsunirahkeesh2000LBD_NytetraynXaquinironsizide
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Happy to oblige :lol:

    (I hope you were only half-serious, I'm making myself feel so very, very old with things like that too!)

    Jazz on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What year do you need to be born after to need that? :D

    Someone born after 2000? I tried to play the original Leisure Suit Larry after buying it on gog. There's an age check before you start the game in the form of trivia questions only Boomers can answer and it took me three or four tries to get past it.

    I am surprised they did not crack that. It was a bunch of nonsense. They stopped that in later games.
    The seventh game has allot of nudity and it had no questions at all.

    Google says the 7th game came out in 1996 so I assume by then it had an ESRB rating on the box.

    I assume gog did not censor the nudity or anything. That would be crappy.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This is still a classic. I wish Mega 64 would do more skits with developers.

    Reynolds
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    That's the beauty of this forum. We can all feel old together.

    Then tell the youth stories of how we had to insert game cartridges, floppy disks, cassettes, or quarters to play games when we were young.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    JazzNitsuaLBD_Nytetrayn
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Really, Mega 64 needs to get fancier. Try to get on television. Try to get bigger like Mr. Show or something.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 25


    What is so amusing about Nintendo being so stingy is that you can easily find their old games on the internet.

    The cat is already out of the bag.

    They even used some of those roms in the SNES Classic.

    Krathoon on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    That's the beauty of this forum. We can all feel old together.

    Then tell the youth stories of how we had to insert game cartridges, floppy disks, cassettes, or quarters to play games when we were young.

    Stay a while and listen, children...

    about the time I had to CALL the internet...

    and your pr0n came in a pixelated amalgamation of horror

    but it's all you had since your mom had to call Blockbuster to find out what time they close to return the movie you all rented,

    and if maybe, lord have mercy, they still had any copies of Jurassic Park left

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
    JazzBetsuniTimFijiStormwatcherironsizide
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    That's the beauty of this forum. We can all feel old together.

    Then tell the youth stories of how we had to insert game cartridges, floppy disks, cassettes, or quarters to play games when we were young.

    Stay a while and listen, children...

    about the time I had to CALL the internet...

    and your pr0n came in a pixelated amalgamation of horror

    but it's all you had since your mom had to call Blockbuster to find out what time they close to return the movie you all rented,

    and if maybe, lord have mercy, they still had any copies of Jurassic Park left

    Oh man, don't get me started about the porn.

    My earliest online porn experiences were on, well today it would be called an imageboard. Except it had no thumbnails, because 14.4kbps. So it was nothing but text descriptions of the images. And you'd click one, and it would very, very slowly load in from the top. If all went well, after about 3 minute the whole, single image would have loaded in all it's dithered glory. If you weren't, the request would timeout somewhere above drawing the first boob. Or somewhere halfway through you'd realize the picture wasn't what you were hoping for.

    Meanwhile, you're trying to exorcise your puberty onto a tissue as quickly as possible so you don't get caught, and none of the above technical issues are helping. So maybe, while you have an entire hour and the house to yourself, you begin the audacious plan to actually print one of those images! And yes, it will take an entire hour. Probably 30 minutes to find an appropriate image worth committing to the permanence of paper, and then maybe 10-15 minutes to actually print it, followed by another 10-15 minutes to hide/destroy all the evidence.

    Man, there is a lot about the 90's I'm nostalgic for, but not that.

    Started playing Master of Magic for the first time. Crashes or locks up on me a ton though. Turns out my CD version is 1.2. I guess the final official patch was 1.31? And the latest community patch is 1.52.03? I'm often averse to community patches, especially patches decades on since they are frequently balanced for the hardcore players who've actually been playing it the entire 30 years. Any MoM fans here with thoughts on them?

    Betsuni
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I think one of my favourite "holy shit I'm old" things I've realised recently is that my 20th anniversary edition Robocop DVD (in steelbook) is now 15 years old.

    BetsuniBlackDragon480Stormwatcherironsizide
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    That's the beauty of this forum. We can all feel old together.

    Then tell the youth stories of how we had to insert game cartridges, floppy disks, cassettes, or quarters to play games when we were young.

    Stay a while and listen, children...

    about the time I had to CALL the internet...

    and your pr0n came in a pixelated amalgamation of horror

    but it's all you had since your mom had to call Blockbuster to find out what time they close to return the movie you all rented,

    and if maybe, lord have mercy, they still had any copies of Jurassic Park left

    Oh man, don't get me started about the porn.

    My earliest online porn experiences were on, well today it would be called an imageboard. Except it had no thumbnails, because 14.4kbps. So it was nothing but text descriptions of the images. And you'd click one, and it would very, very slowly load in from the top. If all went well, after about 3 minute the whole, single image would have loaded in all it's dithered glory. If you weren't, the request would timeout somewhere above drawing the first boob. Or somewhere halfway through you'd realize the picture wasn't what you were hoping for.

    Meanwhile, you're trying to exorcise your puberty onto a tissue as quickly as possible so you don't get caught, and none of the above technical issues are helping. So maybe, while you have an entire hour and the house to yourself, you begin the audacious plan to actually print one of those images! And yes, it will take an entire hour. Probably 30 minutes to find an appropriate image worth committing to the permanence of paper, and then maybe 10-15 minutes to actually print it, followed by another 10-15 minutes to hide/destroy all the evidence.

    Man, there is a lot about the 90's I'm nostalgic for, but not that.

    Started playing Master of Magic for the first time. Crashes or locks up on me a ton though. Turns out my CD version is 1.2. I guess the final official patch was 1.31? And the latest community patch is 1.52.03? I'm often averse to community patches, especially patches decades on since they are frequently balanced for the hardcore players who've actually been playing it the entire 30 years. Any MoM fans here with thoughts on them?

    Ahhh... The good old days...

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    You keep saying things that make me feel Old, and I really don't appreciate it.

    That's the beauty of this forum. We can all feel old together.

    Then tell the youth stories of how we had to insert game cartridges, floppy disks, cassettes, or quarters to play games when we were young.

    Stay a while and listen, children...

    about the time I had to CALL the internet...

    and your pr0n came in a pixelated amalgamation of horror

    but it's all you had since your mom had to call Blockbuster to find out what time they close to return the movie you all rented,

    and if maybe, lord have mercy, they still had any copies of Jurassic Park left

    Oh man, don't get me started about the porn.

    My earliest online porn experiences were on, well today it would be called an imageboard. Except it had no thumbnails, because 14.4kbps. So it was nothing but text descriptions of the images. And you'd click one, and it would very, very slowly load in from the top. If all went well, after about 3 minute the whole, single image would have loaded in all it's dithered glory. If you weren't, the request would timeout somewhere above drawing the first boob. Or somewhere halfway through you'd realize the picture wasn't what you were hoping for.

    Meanwhile, you're trying to exorcise your puberty onto a tissue as quickly as possible so you don't get caught, and none of the above technical issues are helping. So maybe, while you have an entire hour and the house to yourself, you begin the audacious plan to actually print one of those images! And yes, it will take an entire hour. Probably 30 minutes to find an appropriate image worth committing to the permanence of paper, and then maybe 10-15 minutes to actually print it, followed by another 10-15 minutes to hide/destroy all the evidence.

    Man, there is a lot about the 90's I'm nostalgic for, but not that.

    Started playing Master of Magic for the first time. Crashes or locks up on me a ton though. Turns out my CD version is 1.2. I guess the final official patch was 1.31? And the latest community patch is 1.52.03? I'm often averse to community patches, especially patches decades on since they are frequently balanced for the hardcore players who've actually been playing it the entire 30 years. Any MoM fans here with thoughts on them?

    Ahhh... The good old days...

    ??

    BetsuniJazzDonnictonStormwatcherironsizide
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Anyone ever play Thunderscape?
    https://www.gog.com/game/thunderscape
    I don't know. The intro movie is pretty chunky.

Sign In or Register to comment.