As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dwarven Dang

“Would you like a waterskin of finely brewed sake?”, Dang inquires, “To wet the bones, for old times sake.”

Alcohol is just how dwarves say hello, whether they’re from Not-Norway or Not-China.

Dang becomes keenly interested in if he can improve this unfortunate’s ‘life’.

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Medicine

Medicine:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sy

As his companions talk with the strange looking mermaid seated at the far end of the room, Sy takes the opportunity to poke around. There is only other way out of the room other than the way they came in, so he avoids that for now and heads to the opposite of the room where a demonic skeleton appears to be bricked into the wall. He looks around as he passes, wondering if the only purpose of this room really is for the tubes mermaid to welcome people in.

I guess I'm just kind of looking at the other stuff since everyone has the Mermaid covered. You said skeletons in alcoves, wasn't sure if that was actually by/behind her so if it's just something else in the room, I'll check out the one on the west side I guess.

Geth, roll 2d20l1+12 for Perception (Bad Eyes)

Perception (Bad Eyes):
    2d20l1+12 14 [2d20l1=[2], 11]

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    "I'll give it a try, might approach my standards." Fever Coral shrugs.

Sy moves around the fiery pit towards the skeleton bricked up to the West, whispers and distant screams echoing out of the pit. Clutched in the skeleton's gruesome grasp is an iron pentagram.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Sy

Sy reaches out, and stops himself. Fool me once.... He stares at it a moment, distinctively remembering the pain in his eyes. "Someone want to come look at this?" He says aloud.

At the same time, he is reminded of the crystal in his hand that caused the eye pain from earlier. I wonder.... He holds the crystal up and directs his sight through it.

Someone else is free to maybe grab this pentagram. Sy won't be doing that.

He will look through the crystal though. Maybe there is a hint on if this is a giant trap

• Options
    Sy's vision takes on a red tint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oETgAeVSdPg

The pentagram and skeleton are as they appear to be.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Dang

He flies over and hands the booze to the lady.

“Oh ho! A pentagram, should we expect a sword, cup and wand to show up also, eh?”, he chuckles.

I’ll wait, but if nothing is revealed, I’ll take a curse to go.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Sy

"Nothing it can find. If it's a trap, not an illusion." Sy says to Dang. "Hmm, while I have it out...."

Sy scans around the room seeing if anything jumps out, especially the Mermaid.

Perception maybe?

Edit: Should have been L instead of K, so that's a 15.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+12 for Scanning

Scanning:
    2d20k1+12 19 [2d20k1=[7], 3]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Azara had thus far been content to rest back and allow her companions to take the initiative with their explorations, opting instead to respond to danger where necessary.

However, she wasn't sure the conversation with the gatekeeper was going anywhere fast. Fastening her straps, Azara marched forward further to address the mermaid seated before her.

"If I may be so bold, Madame" she began in earnest. "It strikes me that, with the ease by which we strolled up here, we're neither the first nor last souls to interact with you in your duties".

Azara bows her head slightly, believing reverence to be key.

"The fact that you remain speaks for your might, authority and guile. Alas, you are right to question our wisdom for our approach". Azara breaks out a wry smile. "However, it is by your wisdom and whim that travellers may pass... or not. I would beg your good grace in allowing us to pass by, and perhaps, if I do not push the mark too far, to provide us with a pointer or two for good measure? Even should we suffer for our trespass, I can only imagine that would provide no small entertainment for you".

Geth, roll 1d20+14 for Persuasion

Persuasion:
    1d20+14 17 [1d20=3]

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The action I was gonna do messes with Austin’s check so I’ll post tomorrow.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I'm trying to guess what you would do that would interfere. I'm landing in either you'd try to take the crystal or try to cover Sy's eyes :smiley:

Either one would be kinda funny honestly

• Options
    Sy’s crimson gaze sweeps the room. All is as it appears…. Wait, what was that!?

https://youtu.be/9d3qCPcMgH4

The east wall opposite the exit point you vanishes when looked at by the Eye of Shadowsight.

You have discovered a secret passage!

The dead mermaid sips, barbed tongue sliding out and around her cracked lips.

“Hmm, could be better warm.” Her gaze shifts to Azara.

“You can go or stay, your choice, I’m not here to stop you, just to inform of what lies ahead. As for pointers, try not to die. But if you do, at least make it an interesting death.”

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Dang

Dang lands next to Sy. He slings his broom. He takes out a small book and opens it to the middle page. Then with both hands he places the book around the pentagram, closes the book, and pulls it free.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Are you afraid you'll get cursed by picking up the pentagram? It doesn't have enough sides to give a proper hex!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Heheh! Honestly it’s just roleplaying, everyone knows it’s the act of taking that sets off a curse.

Besides, it’s the octograms that really getcha!

• Options
    Sy

"Well look at that." Sy walks over to the east wall, lowering the crystal and seeing just a wall. He yells out, "Did she say she wasn't going to stop us? Because..." he takes a step forward and puts his hand through the illusory wall. "...this isn't real."

Who wants to go down the secret passage instead of the clear door to the next room?!? Come on, it'll be fun. When has Sy ever led you astray?

• Options
    There is the unsettling snap of dead bones relinquishing their prize as Dang wrenches the pentagram free.

You have found the Iron Pentagram! What secrets does it have pent up??

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Dangram Romping

If someone has Identify hit me up, otherwise Dang will keep it as a bookmark for now.

“Secret tunnel! Secret tunnel!”, Dang cries.

Monks and dwarves are naturally drawn to secret tunnels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4EI_-5reA

Dang flies through the illusionary wall.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Naxtori

Naxtori loves secret passages. Plus it may even be valuable to their mission, so it's double-awesome. She runs through the fake wall too, waving goodbye to the mermaid.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Naxtori and Dang head through the wall, ending up in a hall that branches. To the left they can hear the sound of pistons crashing against metal over and over, while straight ahead down the hall is a wall that seems to shift and move as they observe it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Naxtori

She walks slowly towards the shifting wall straight ahead, eyes locked on it. She loves things that shift and change like she does (her form oscillates every few seconds while watching the wall, as though its fluidity is affecting her as well).

Steam profile
  • Options
    Sy

Sy wasn't sure what he was expecting from the group when he pointed out the fake wall, but two of them charging through certainly wasn't it. He shrugs, and walks through to join them. Two new options appear, something off to the left that sounds like metal crashing over and over, and some strange shifting wall straight again. As Naxtori walks towards it, he walks a step behind her. He briefly holds up the crystal and says, "Let me know if you need this thing again, it's a little odd to use over and over."

Ok, so I hate the thought of just walking into a room and holding up the crystal and looking everywhere, but I feel like that's what is going to happen if I don't set guidelines for myself. So, if anyone wants Sy to check something, you'll need to tell him you want him to. Otherwise, I'm going to limit myself significantly on how often I use it because otherwise it feels un-fun to just say "I check for all illusions."

• Options
    As she draws closer, Naxtori can see the “wall” is a mass of writhing Black Sea slugs, undulating and oozing around each other.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    As she draws closer, Naxtori can see the “wall” is a mass of writhing Black Sea slugs, undulating and oozing around each other.

Are these dangerous, or just "gross"?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Azara, following the group through the wall, keeps a step behind Naxtori to ensure that neither of them end up 'alone' all of a sudden.

Upon seeing the wall up close Azara grimaces.

"Um... You first".

• Options
    They are not acting hostile currently

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

Are these dangerous, or just "gross"?

This feels like the answer is "Yes". Even if they aren't actively hostile. Gross.

• Options
    Sy

Sy stops in his tracks as he realizes the squiggly wall is a bunch of slugs. "I'm not touching that." he says aloud after Azara chimes in. "In fact, I don't think anyone should be touching that." He takes a step backward just to be sure that nothing from that slug wall could jump out and get on him.

"I'm going to go check out whatever else is back here." Sy leave those at the slug wall, and turns down the corridor that leads to the sounds of crashing metal.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Naxtori
    Azara, following the group through the wall, keeps a step behind Naxtori to ensure that neither of them end up 'alone' all of a sudden.

Upon seeing the wall up close Azara grimaces.

"Um... You first".
    Sy

Sy stops in his tracks as he realizes the squiggly wall is a bunch of slugs. "I'm not touching that." he says aloud after Azara chimes in. "In fact, I don't think anyone should be touching that." He takes a step backward just to be sure that nothing from that slug wall could jump out and get on him.

"I'm going to go check out whatever else is back here." Sy leave those at the slug wall, and turns down the corridor that leads to the sounds of crashing metal.

Naxtori whispers, "you all aren't so bad, are you? Are you hiding something?" She reaches out and gently strokes some of the slugs.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I just realized that maybe the guy with the crystal eyes shouldn't be dispensing advice on what people should or shouldn't touch

• Options
    edited April 2022
    As Naxtori’s hand brushes against the ice cold sea slugs, a group of them surge off the mass, crawling up her arm towards her head.

Please make a Constitution saving throw.

https://youtu.be/2j0xjbVkt2g

Satellite Control

ujp1djgyds971.png?auto=webp&s=bb7a2b76e0db25a22debcf5ca4837b031701c608

This cavern has several pistons which rise and up and fall against metal plates in the floor, a loud cacophony as they go off at unsynchronized intervals. Dust and ash shake off the roof of the cavern to provide a haze to the view.

The far end is dominated by a large console, the monitor is currently providing an eye in the sky view of the grounds below the pyramid and illuminating the cavern with an eerie blue glow. Discarded circuit boards and bejeweled keyboard keys are scattered around.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for how much we get to love these slugs

edit: SO much lol

how much we get to love these:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Sy

Sy is a bit frozen as he sees the pistons and strange machinery. He steps closer to inspect the monitor and console.

Geth, roll 2d20l1+6 for Investigation

Investigation:
    2d20l1+6 22 [2d20l1=[16], 19]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Brygos decides that our gem-eyed instigator probably needs a little more backup. The rest of you can handle a bunch of garden pests, right?

Brygos had heard an earful and a half about that dang satellite earlier. Perhaps he might recognize the screen as a view from up there and not just a magical eye-in-the-scry image?

Geth, roll 1d20+5 (perception)

(perception):
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Naxtori opens her mouth to baby talk the slugs more, and they immediately rush in, cold and slimy, but also burning? The creatures begin to wriggle down her throat as she tries to pluck them out. Her vision begins to show sparkles of color, the walls of the cave distort and the calls of her fellow adventurers begin to slow. She still has air, but her lungs pump quickly as if trying to expel something. Her blood catches fire anew like the aftermath of the feast at the Ashen Cloister.

One of her last thoughts as oblivion would claim her for the rest of the night?

"Who knew slugs could be so poisonous?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZGlaAxB7nI

Naxtori has perished! Kime may roll a new character to join the party at their leisure! The party loses 50 points from their final score!

The monitor's view matches precisely what Brygos would expect the satellite floating in orbit of the pyramid would see. The console has several controls: a wheel, a lever, a microphone, and a button with a lightning bolt symbol engraved into it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Lolll oh no

I just wanted a spooky pet! And it took so long to make her as a level 13 Warlock ugh

All right I'll make something new :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    Now introducing, Naxtora, twin-sister warlock

• Options
    Sy

Sy notices Brygos join him. He points at the Lightning Bolt button. "Did we think the Salt Pyramid outside might have something that shot lightning down that wire? There was a basin inside that had the coin, but I wonder if you're supposed to put something else in there?" Something he'd want to remember, but the rest of the controls made no sense. How pissed would the mermaid be if I made an announcement?.

He stopped himself, the hard crystal of his eyes a reminder to be a little less impulsive. Instead, he moves over to the pistons. What purpose could the possibly have if they were just pounding against metal? He squatted a bit, trying to see if maybe there was something behind them, or something that pointed out why they were constantly running.

Assuming at this moment, Sy isn't aware of the slug incident yet.

Geth, roll 2d20l1+6 for Investigation

Investigation:
    2d20l1+6 12 [2d20l1=[6], 20]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Oh no! Choking to death on slugs. The silent killer.

"Huh... I wonder if I can find him... Sy, keep your hands out of the moving parts for a second."

According to the old man he'd spoken to earlier, this machine was powered by... Shady stuff? Shoulda taken notes. Still, it would probably be the thrill of an afterlifetime for the coot if he got this thing's attention.

Brygos tries to use the console to find the old man who had talked his ear off about the satellite, then for good measure leans into the microphone and says "You were right about meeee!" That should do it.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The pistons smash, each one going about once every ten seconds, but they never line up. You think they've been used to smash something, but you can't tell what in your current state.

"YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT MEEEE!" bellows out from the satellite, a tinny version coming through over the telescreen. You can see some of the pilgrims moving around and shifting, as if they expect something to happen, a sea of people moving in currents only visible from on high.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Heheh. Shenanigans! I love it. Brygos has no knowledge of what was in the salt temple other than what Sy just said, but... @AustinP0027 , what do you say we put some coins on these pistons and then take the results down to the basin and shoot it with a spark? Does that sound like it might mean anything?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png