As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you going to keep using Twitter, musk of Elon notwithstanding?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No
    Lanz wrote: »

Musk's Twitter deal math is sketchy -- he's going to saddle it with billions of dollars of debt, possibly suffocating it.

More important: He isn't up to the task of running a social media company in an era of dangerous and divisive viral propaganda.

Twitter will have about $1 billion in interest payments due annually after this buyout -- and its cash flows are projected to be about $1.43 billion this year and $1.85 billion in 2023. So debt payments will consume a huge chunk of Twitter’s cash.

Seems bad!

Man that's so bad I wonder if Bain capitol was involved.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm not really "active" on Twitter. I mostly use it to get a quick snapshot of the news and keep up with some artists I follow.

So I mean, I guess I could probably just drop it and download a CNN widget or whatever.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    Popped up on my feed

FRMbuWFVsAAdHt1.jpg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Maybe?
    Buying out a company then having the company pay the loan seems so fucking gross at this scale.

Yeah people kept reporting this as Musk’s money but he was always going to use other people’s money for this- I guess it tracks that most of the “other people” and “money” were Twitter and their cash flow

Leveraged buyouts are some real wizardry

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yes
    Musk approaching levels of divorced guy energy previously only speculated on in terms of theory.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Oh no, a billionaire bought twitter from the other billionaires. New boss, same as the old boss.
    Lanz wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Unban Italian Elon Musk you cowards!

Another has Risen to meet the Challenge of the Day

To be Very Annoying about these two things:

Elon Musk, the richest person in the world, is to lesser billionaires what lesser billionaires are to millionaires. Musk having the capacity to engage in leveraged buyouts or hostile takeovers of major companies to wield as he wants, apparently regardless of profit, is worse than those same companies being at least kind of publicly accountable and run by people with lesser but still absurd amounts of money.

That said, Elon Musk also couldn't cure world hunger, although that entire debacle was a clusterfuck kicked off by Musk and reporters maliciously failing to understand that "$6 billion to save 42 million lives from a short term famine crisis" is not the same thing as fixing world hunger. If it really only cost $6 billion to solve world hunger, I'm pretty sure either some country would have done it or the US's foreign aid budget wouldn't be several times that amount.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Buying out a company then having the company pay the loan seems so fucking gross at this scale.

Yeah people kept reporting this as Musk’s money but he was always going to use other people’s money for this- I guess it tracks that most of the “other people” and “money” were Twitter and their cash flow

That's actually the insane thing about this: The deal is 75% Musk's money! It's about 50% cash (probably selling Tesla shares), 25% loans backed by Tesla shares, and 25% leveraged buyout loans. The net effect is that both Twitter the company and Musk have loan costs of nearly a billion dollars a year each, for a company that makes 1.X billion dollars a year! Even for a leveraged buyout it's a pretty insane deal that genuinely suggests Musk is willing to burn a lot of money on getting a shiny new toy.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

the fact that powerful people in media killed my original headline, "Elon Musk Becomes King Shit of Turd Mountain," is exactly why we need more free speech

HEY!

That’s FIRE Turd mountain thank you very much

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No
    I don't use twitter and I think it's generally bad. So no change from me.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I would say this is Tim Rogers using Twitter for good, but it's just someone posting clips. It's still correct.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Madican wrote: »
    I once upon a time lurked in 4chan's /b/ back when it was still young. It was definitely a place for free speech, to the point where you were free to say whatever you wanted and a shitload of disgusting individuals were free to relentlessly dogpile you on and off the site. Only if someone tried to push back on he depraved stuff though, however small a pushback it was, until they were silenced beneath the cretins.

That's what a "free speech" absolutist Twitter is going to resemble.
    as a minority on twitter a lot of reactions to this have looked very "oh you have no idea what this hellsite is actually like huh"

:P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    A lot of autonomous collectives, advocacy groups and activists use Twitter a lot, so it would suck to lose that. I suppose I’ll have to learn Signal and Mastodon but I’m OLD and I’m TIRED

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The sky was the color of television, turned to a dead channel, on the day that Elon Musk bought Twitter...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yes
    The sky was the color of television, turned to a dead channel, on the day that Elon Musk bought Twitter...

Folks I opened my wallet the other day and you wouldnt believe it but its true, it was full of blood

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    A lot of autonomous collectives, advocacy groups and activists use Twitter a lot, so it would suck to lose that. I suppose I’ll have to learn Signal and Mastodon but I’m OLD and I’m TIRED

signal's a messaging app, not a social media, but I guess you could use instead of twitter DMs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    My life has significantly improved since my tweeting account was suspended and I refuse to get it unsuspended because they want my personal cell phone number for it. I now just use my non-tweeting account that I made for "official" business (like keeping in touch with my university professors) that has my given name on it. I still don't tweet with it (except for that one retweet of a text by a trans man about the affectional famine prevalent in US?/UK? masculine interpersonal relationships relative to feminine interpersonal relationships, but I've undone the retweet just now), but I do catch up on my feed often, and there are some tweets I've read recently that have been of benefit to my psychological well-being. Others, not so much.

Capitalism, baybee!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I once upon a time lurked in 4chan's /b/ back when it was still young. It was definitely a place for free speech, to the point where you were free to say whatever you wanted and a shitload of disgusting individuals were free to relentlessly dogpile you on and off the site. Only if someone tried to push back on he depraved stuff though, however small a pushback it was, until they were silenced beneath the cretins.

as a minority on twitter a lot of reactions to this have looked very "oh you have no idea what this hellsite is actually like huh"

Yeah, that's basically what I was pointing to. People who think Twitter as it is even comes close to matching the vile cesspit it's going to become.

Yeah, Twitter currently doesn't have great moderation or tools to prevent harassment. It's still better than the thought of what a revived 4chan /b/ board version of Twitter, with a depraved user base all grown up with new technologies and a unified push to the hard right, is going to look like.

• Options
    No
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Yeah, that's basically what I was pointing to. People who think Twitter as it is even comes close to matching the vile cesspit it's going to become.

Yeah, Twitter currently doesn't have great moderation or tools to prevent harassment. It's still better than the thought of what a revived 4chan /b/ board version of Twitter, with a depraved user base all grown up with new technologies and a unified push to the hard right, is going to look like.

Yeah it sucks right now, it's going to get worse with Musk on board and him trying to make it truth social part 2 but this time it needs to make him money right away edition.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

signal's a messaging app, not a social media, but I guess you could use instead of twitter DMs

The way I’ve seen it used is folks just have big group chats, where most people are just reading stuff posted by the group’s organisers. A bit like a mailer

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I only use Twitter to obtain proof of life when a few youtube personalities I follow get COVID or whatever, and that can really be done on any public facing social media platform

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Maybe?
    I haven't decided yet but I've been meaning to cut back on my twitter intake lately anyway

Perhaps this is the excuse I was looking for

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    No
    I deleted Twitter when all it was doing was making me upset.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No
    I kind of hope the forum disables Twitter imbedding.

• Options
    Finally no more of this (1/21) longpost crap

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    No
    Paladin wrote: »
    Finally no more of this (1/21) longpost crap

The resurgence of blogs!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yes
    doubt trump would remain banned if he ran again. no matter who was running twitter.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I have written like 7 tweets in 10 years, and they're all terrible, so I think the path of least resistance here is just keep doing what I've been doing.

• Options
    No
    Supposedly Trump is telling people he doesn't even want his account back, so yeah he's coming back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Twitter is a read-only enterprise for me these days, so I shall continue to read it on the toilet for so long as it remains interesting to read while on the toilet.

• Options
    milski wrote: »

That's actually the insane thing about this: The deal is 75% Musk's money! It's about 50% cash (probably selling Tesla shares), 25% loans backed by Tesla shares, and 25% leveraged buyout loans. The net effect is that both Twitter the company and Musk have loan costs of nearly a billion dollars a year each, for a company that makes 1.X billion dollars a year! Even for a leveraged buyout it's a pretty insane deal that genuinely suggests Musk is willing to burn a lot of money on getting a shiny new toy.

If I was an evil billionaire and I wanted to destroy twitter, I would either do this or champerty like that hulk hogan / Thiel thing

• Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    The "Feeling Nostalgic" tool regurgitated this for me today:
    https://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/04/23/le-twittre

• Options
    Maybe?
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I deleted Twitter when all it was doing was making me upset.

I logged on to Twitter when all it was doing was making me upset

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I see this as one more example of rightwing assholes and corporate billionaires taking control of public discourse, and driving out any progressives or lefty resistance. Same as vulture hedge funds buying Pulitzer prize winning papers and shutting them down, same as Facebook flooding out fascist talking points and Russian propaganda.

It will be harder for progressive opposition to talk amongst themselves and figure out how to think and communicate about what they see happening. It will be harder for people who care about injustice to find each other. And this will make it harder for righteous protests to exist. Probably not immediately, but soon.

• Options
    Maybe?
    No for real I read Twitter cause you all don’t post about sports enough to sate my need for constant shitposts (CONSTANT)

• Options
    Maybe?
    Label wrote: »
    I see this as one more example of rightwing assholes and corporate billionaires taking control of public discourse, and driving out any progressives or lefty resistance. Same as vulture hedge funds buying Pulitzer prize winning papers and shutting them down, same as Facebook flooding out fascist talking points and Russian propaganda.

It will be harder for progressive opposition to talk amongst themselves and figure out how to think and communicate about what they see happening. It will be harder for people who care about injustice to find each other. And this will make it harder for righteous protests to exist. Probably not immediately, but soon.

Just as the Emperor of Mars demands

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I heavily curated my twitter so that basically the only content I got was from VTubers and some internet funny people I enjoyed and barely ventured out of my own timeline, so twitter hasn't bothered me a lot. But I understand that it's an edge case, if only because those brief bouts out of my timeline were always met with "Wow, that's fucking terrible" as an instant reaction. I ended up reporting a lot of people for blatant, obvious attacks and I think only once did I ever get an email saying "yeah, okay, they definitely broke ToS, good job", with my other reports either being "No, they didn't actually" (they did) or, more often, just not getting any sort of follow-up whatsoever. I honestly just think reports get ignored if you do them often. I also just use it to upload my screenshots/videos directly from my PS5/Switch to share them around, so that's something I kinda want to keep doing (especially since I use a lot of screenshots/videos as reference for things).

Still, this is fucking garbage and is pretty much the inspiration I need to figure out what the hell Mastodon is. If it's less bad, I'll probably migrate there entirely eventually.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can tell how addicted people are to doomposting based on them already panicking about donald trump tweeting

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'll follow the people I follow, both in the sense of subscribing to their posts and in the sense of leaving when they leave, which is also why I have an account. I don't have any special interest in like the pavement or wallpaper at twitter.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Yes
    Oh I’m not particularly panicked about it. Just don’t think it’s a factor in worrying about Elon or some board of lesser known dudes being in charge.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

Folks I opened my wallet the other day and you wouldnt believe it but its true, it was full of blood

funny story I'm seeing them live in like 30 minutes

This discussion has been closed.