As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games (MGS3 Remake Delta announced)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Venom is great. I just wish MGSV spoils
    they would've used Hayter or Doyle for the real Big Boss's voice. Sutherland still did an amazing job distinguishing the two though - Real Boss on the tapes very much sounds like a different person.

Also, what a colossal dick move it was to use Kaz's capture as the training wheels mission for Venom. For fuck's sake, Boss. No. Save your friend.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    See I get the the opposite reaction with V.
    Big Boss used and abandoned V. It's hinted in game that Big Boss *views* him as an inheritor of his legacy... And yet he rips his identify from him and uses him as a decoy along with Miller. He's an expendable pawn who succeeds against the odds, just like Solid Snake did in Outer Heaven. He becomes almost as bad as the people he fights.

It's all well and good, agree to disagree. But I find that Big Boss never "breaks out" of the role of anti-hero. The bravest thing I think he does is take responsibility at the end of his life and stops making excuses for how he handled The Boss' death. No one made him build Outer Heaven, he did that himself.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    See I get the the opposite reaction with V.
    Big Boss used and abandoned V. It's hinted in game that Big Boss *views* him as an inheritor of his legacy... And yet he rips his identify from him and uses him as a decoy along with Miller. He's an expendable pawn who succeeds against the odds, just like Solid Snake did in Outer Heaven. He becomes almost as bad as the people he fights.

It's all well and good, agree to disagree. But I find that Big Boss never "breaks out" of the role of anti-hero. The bravest thing I think he does is take responsibility at the end of his life and stops making excuses for how he handled The Boss' death. No one made him build Outer Heaven, he did that himself.

But that's wrong.
    V does not succeed. He dies. Solid Snake kills him. He completely fails.

That tension of knowing he is ultimately doomed is what makes him so much more interesting.

The same is true of Big Boss, only he fucks up on an even bigger scale. He screws up the Bosses legacy. He screws up on his dream, three times (mgsv (loss of original motherbase, then what he does to V), mg1 (he didn't expect Solid to win), mg2). He ultimately realises he has completely failed at what he wanted to do, and not just that, that his entire dream is, ultimately, foolish and a misstep. He does, as you say, take responsibility for it. That's interesting. Most anti-heroes still win like regular heroes, they're just asshole about it. Neither of these characters win. They both lose.

The best choice Kojima made was choosing to focus on more interesting characters after MGS1. Raiden, Big Boss, V, and so on. All these characters keep on losing. Hell Raiden's entire schtick in MGS2 is that he made peace with losing on his own terms. That is straight up not how normal protagonists work. They normally win by the end.

(Revengeance was more of a return to regular protagonist time, turning Raiden into a traditional anti-hero who actually does win.)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Big Boss and the other Snakes may be more interesting than Solid, but Solid is a way more likeable character, and likeability goes a long way in making me, well, like a character. Naked Snake is Big Boss at his most likeable, and he really feels like Solid in the 60s (I suppose to emphasize how similar they would've been had the loss of The Boss not sent him down a darker path).

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I like Solid the most too.

Not really talking about that.

edit: Well actually if Im being honest I like Raiden the most then Solid.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    they would've used Hayter or Doyle for the real Big Boss's voice. Sutherland still did an amazing job distinguishing the two though - Real Boss on the tapes very much sounds like a different person.

Also, what a colossal dick move it was to use Kaz's capture as the training wheels mission for Venom. For fuck's sake, Boss. No. Save your friend.

I believe there's a mod which allows for full use of...
    Your custom character face during regular gameplay.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Pretty sure this is a big reason why
    Kaz tells BB to go DIAF.

Peace Walker is super unappreciated, and a must-play for Kaz's backstory.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Probably the best side content in the franchise is Paz narrating a recount of an extremely homoerotic naked fist fight between Kaz and Big Boss from the showers of Mother Base, after Kaz was apparently being outed as two-timing womanizer and Snake was trying to discipline him - and the fact that she's completely shook by how she would never be able to break the bond between them lol

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Everything said in the past few pages about Hideo Kojima and the Metal Gear series, is why I play them.

Find me somebody, anybody, who can get a batshit crazy as that.

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »
    Everything said in the past few pages about Hideo Kojima and the Metal Gear series, is why I play them.

Find me somebody, anybody, who can get a batshit crazy as that.

Do you remember the flaming psychic whale? Cause I do.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    To this day I can't see a long ladder without hearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4

Same here.

I also have a crippling fear of streams, as in my first playthrough didn't know that the walk to the ghost dude was longer if you had killed more people. And I killed a lot of people on the way.

Long. Fucking. Walk.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You can bail on the ghost river early by intentionally drowning yourself, but it's worth it to get to the end for the Sorrow's camo.

Also if you kill a guy, then later on kill a vulture in the area the guy will show up in the stream and yell at you for eating him.

• Options

Same here.

I also have a crippling fear of streams, as in my first playthrough didn't know that the walk to the ghost dude was longer if you had killed more people. And I killed a lot of people on the way.

Long. Fucking. Walk.

You may not know its possible to commit cannibalism by proxy in the game.

If you shoot a Soviet soldier, allow a buzzard to start eating him. And then shoot and eat the vulture, you'll get unique dialogue during the Sorrow river, complete with, "You ATE me!"

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Does anyone play Metal Gear Survive? I got it a few days ago and I actually enjoy the weird stakes that are set up and I wish there had been more opportunities to iterate on the gameplay in the Fox engine. It's pretty impressive what they've managed to do with MGSV assets and updated UI to make a pretty distinct feeling game.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Does anyone play Metal Gear Survive? I got it a few days ago and I actually enjoy the weird stakes that are set up and I wish there had been more opportunities to iterate on the gameplay in the Fox engine. It's pretty impressive what they've managed to do with MGSV assets and updated UI to make a pretty distinct feeling game.

It's that flawed kind of game that I managed to enjoy in spite of that.

I can see why people might dislike it though.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’d be interested in a quick review from either of you, because I heard it was trash and assumed it was dead now.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    When I got MGS3 Subsistence, I was particularly terrible at that kind of game.
    and I still made sure to get every boss cammo.
    it was a very long playthrough

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    When I got MGS3 Subsistence, I was particularly terrible at that kind of game.
    and I still made sure to get every boss cammo.
    it was a very long playthrough

It's not a short game to begin with. But that turns it into an epic!

Jazz on
  • Options
    Finally got around to picking up Snake Eater 3D, which I'm largely playing for the novelty factor. Was this entirely rebuilt in the Peace Walker engine? And am I correct in assuming the overhead camera option isn't available in this version?

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I’d be interested in a quick review from either of you, because I heard it was trash and assumed it was dead now.

@Endless_Serpents I seriously doubt there's any kind of player base, but the single player campaign has been entertaining for about 30 hours so far (maybe another 10-15 hours and I suspect that's the end). The gameplay loop is sort of like Monster Hunter: go out, get supplies, return to base and craft weapons, armor, and defenses. I've not played Peace Walker, but I have seen it through Let's Play, and the style is closer to that than MGSV, I guess.

It's got a neat horror sci fi angle that I think is really cool. The game can feel kind of grindy at times, but doing the tower defense co-op missions successfully (even if you get a D or C rank, which is the best I've gotten with 2 out of 3 waves of enemies) gives you a LOT of resources. And the tower defense is actually really fun because it's got MGSV gameplay attached, so yeah. I would give it a recommendation on sale, especially if you can find someone to play online with you.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Finally got around to picking up Snake Eater 3D, which I'm largely playing for the novelty factor. Was this entirely rebuilt in the Peace Walker engine? And am I correct in assuming the overhead camera option isn't available in this version?

I've never played 3D, but the overhead camera option was available in Subsistence on the PS2 (hitting select I think to switch back and forth). There were a few areas where I thought the overhead camera was more useful (mainly inside of buildings).

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

I've never played 3D, but the overhead camera option was available in Subsistence on the PS2 (hitting select I think to switch back and forth). There were a few areas where I thought the overhead camera was more useful (mainly inside of buildings).

Yeah, I would swap between the 2 modes when I played on PS2/PS3. It was a great way to reorient yourself in the jungle. Start and Select just do the same thing on the 3DS version.

But like I said, I'm playing this for the novelty of it. I still have the PS3 and Vita versions.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply @Kristmas Kthulhu

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Snake Eater 3D only has the one camera option. It has two different control schemes, if you have a New 3DS it controls more like the PS2 version, but I prefer the base controls and could not get back into my european extreme run when I upgraded.
    Crouch walking is overpowered but I miss it when I play another version.

It can also turn your 3DS photos into camo, took a picture of Donkey Kong and had this distorted big eye picture of DK staring at me from Snake's back.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    It is now my unfortunate duty to inform the forum that a mandatory replay of the Twin Snakes is warranted as texture upgrade packs are now available.

Demo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDWETxK_XrQ

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owZdwjvCe4

I'm torn because this is in all likelihood going to be a disaster... and yet? Maybe eventually we'd see remakes/remasters of the whole main series?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they have the Fox Engine? It's pretty, but it sure wouldn't sell me on a PS5.
    (Now a spinoff where you play as Para Medic, maybe...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    That is such a boring reveal. Think of Kojima what you want, but this lacks *all* the cinematic language and flagrance MGS is so known for.

Mildly optimistic about the classic bundle thing, maybe I'll get to play the original games with JP voiceover, finally

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    If it would free MGS4 from the PS3, it might be worth it.

• Options
    If it would free MGS4 from the PS3, it might be worth it.

I wonder if that is even possible without remaking it. I suspect it has not been ported because the whole PS3/Cell development seems to have been a nightmare impossible to divorce from the hardware

who knows. I'd like to see it for sure

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Rumors suggest that Volume 2 of the re-releases will NOT have MGS4. However, if 3 Delta makes money, who knows what Konami will do at this point.

• Options
    Rumors also say that Delta is *years* away, which...why even reveal it. I guess it's been leaked to hell and back, but still

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The original Uncharted trilogy and The Last of Us were built for PS3 as well, and that didn't stop them from being ported to PS4.

• Options
    Yeah but Kojima was a nutter for more than just story. He pushed stuff real far.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The thing about this news is I'm not too worried about a remake cause with remakes when push comes to shove you can always just rely on what's already there.

The issue happens when you're talking about making something new from scratch that's when things get hairy.

And I know people will say well this isn't new it's a remake and sure but it's either MGS stuck in remake hell or they do eventually make a new one and well...are the people who do it even gonna understand the spirit of the games.

That uninteresting announcement trailer doesn't fill one with hope either way.

• Options
    I swipe right on all MGS news that isn't just ports.

No Kojima, don't care.

• Options
    I'm reserving judgement. Although it might spur me to replay MGS3 again.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I wonder if they have the Fox Engine? It's pretty, but it sure wouldn't sell me on a PS5.
    (Now a spinoff where you play as Para Medic, maybe...)

Xbox Series and PC as well.

Para-Medic spinoff, hell yeah. That I'd wanna see.

• Options
    Two days until Master Collection Vol. 1 and, always a bit concerningly, reviews are embargoed until then. But a Reddit person claims to have snagged a PS5 copy early and gives some good details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/17c93t0/metal_gear_solid_master_collection_impressions/?rdt=45722
    Got my hands on the PS5 version of the game early and wanted to note a few things that people might have been wondering about like I was.

All of the games and most of the bonus material is on disc(on ps5 anyway) without the need to download an update. The only parts that require download are the 4 graphic novels and the Japanese language packs. Each game can also be installed individually from the disc if you only want to play one.

The versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 on here are distinct from the versions on the HD collection and Subsistence as they have new text prompts depending on your platform

-The NES games seem to be emulated very well without any noticeable input lag. Of course your own results may vary depending on your monitor and sensitivity to lag.

-All games take heavy advantage of the ps5s haptics to a surprising degree. It does very well to make the game more immersive particularly in snake eater.

-MGS 2 and 3 have significantly faster loading times on ps5 compared to original/HD while MGS1 feels slightly slower than the original. Strange.

-The master books and screenplays are incredibly comprehensive and probably one of the best bonus features on a collection I’ve ever seen. Worth the price of admission on its own imo if you are a Metal Gear fan even if you already own the ps3 legacy collection.

-MGS1 and its “Integral” version are presented as separate games.

-The soundtrack feature is disappointingly non comprehensive. Only a few tracks are available for each game. Though how randomly the songs seem to have been selected makes me think the rest may come in an update when the game actually releases.

A reply also comprehensively adds this run down of the games, options, changes, and bonus content:
    Here are all the games, options, changes, bonus content etc. that are included:

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
    - Achievements added
    - Seperated from MGS3 and turned into its own launcher
    - Option to move the screen from the center to left or right
    - Option to choose black borders or multiple game related wallpapers
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_msx/pc/en/page14.html
    - Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_msx/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg2/pc/en/index.html
    - Screenplay and Master Books
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_msx/pc/en/page13.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg2/pc/en/page15.html

Metal Gear NES/FC and Snakes Revenge
    - Pause menu added that can be opened by pressing LB+RB that let`s you customize controller button assignments
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_nes/pc/en/page12.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/snakes_revenge/pc/en/page13.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_nes/pc/en/page14.html
    - Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_nes/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/snakes_revenge/pc/en/index.html

Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid Integral (NTSC-J)
    - Up-converted 1080p at 30fps
    - Achievements added
    - Japanese language pack can be downloaded and toogled on
    - French, German, Italian and Spanish dubs are included in the eu version
    - Added MGS1 disc swap animation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZVqW9gg0g
    - Pause menu added that can be opened by pressing LB+RB that let`s you customize controller button assignments and also includes the option to virtually swap controller ports from Player 1 to Player 2 for the Psycho Mantis fight
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1/pc/en/page20.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_integral/pc/en/page21.html
    - Option to create virtual save data for past titles like Azure Dreams, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Contra Legacy of War, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Vandal Hearts etc. so that Psycho Mantis can read your "memory card" and talk about these games like he did in the original
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1/pc/en/page21.html
    - Option to create additional virtual save data for past titles in Integral like Dance Dance Revolution, Gradius Gaiden, Policenauts and Snatcher
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_integral/pc/en/page22.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1/pc/en/page23.html
    - Digital 3D replica of the game's original retail packaging

- Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_integral/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1/pc/en/page22.html

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (NTSC) and Metal Gear Solid Special Missions (PAL)
    - Pause menu added that can be opened by pressing LB+RB that let`s you customize controller button assignments
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_vr_missions/pc/en/page13.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_special_missions/pc/en/page13.html
    - Option to choose black borders or multiple game related borders
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_vr_missions/pc/en/page16.html
    - Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_vr_missions/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs1_special_missions/pc/en/index.html

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Edition
    - Up-converted 1080p at 60 fps
    - Faster load times
    - Logo in the opening is now similiar in size to how it was in the original PS2 release and not as small as it was in the HD Collection

- In-game credits like in the opening cutscene now have the same color like in the original PS2 release and aren`t green like in the HD collection
    - Pause/delay before codec calls that has been introduced in the hd collection has been fixed

- Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs2/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs2/pc/en/page27.html

Metal Gear Solid 3 HD Edition
    - Up-converted 1080p at 60fps
    - Faster load times
    - Snake Eater song in the beginning now works as intended and isn`t out of sync like in the HD Collection
    - Pause/delay for changing camouflage and opening the cure menu that have been introduced in the HD Collection have been fixed
    - Digital game manual
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs3/pc/en/index.html
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mgs3/pc/en/page26.html

Digital Graphic Novels
    - Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (english dub)
    - Metal Gear Solid: Bande Dessinée (japanese dub)
    - Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Grapic Novel (english dub)
    - Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée (japanese dub)

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack
    - Sound player with 20 songs
    https://metalgear.konami.net/manual/mc1/mg1_nes/pc/en/page13.html

Other info:
    - The Master Books are digital books that gives you more insight into the Metal Gear series. It contains full character lists and story descriptions, along with guides, ghost photos for mgs1, dog tags for mgs2 and kerotans for mgs3 etc.
    - The Screenplay Books are digital books that contains all the in-game story scenes and codec conversations. It also contains some work-in-progress story elements.
    - Screenplay Books offer the localised versions of the japanese only scenario books and offer thousands of pages
    - The Screenplay and Master Books let you place/remove book marks
    - The Screenplay and Master Books let you choose from a table of contents so you can jump to the content you want to read
    - The Screenplay Books and Master Books offer a music list so you can choose which song you want to hear while you read the books
    - 6 clips of historical footage were replaced with new historical footage since the companies that own these licences are gone

• Options
    Reminds me of the MGS4 in-game lore guide, which took me literal hours to go through.

wVEsyIc.png