As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Soldat - Free 2D Shooter - Who wants to play Rambo mode?

LemmingLemming Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
server ip: 68.198.91.151:23073
password: wang
Image4.jpg

This guy is fucked.
Image7.jpg
Image6.jpg

Ok, so soldat is free and totally kicks ass. We've had this thread a few times, and it's always fun.

Soldat is a 2d game where you can jump around, jetpack around, and shoot people. It's sort of like worms, except real time, and there are modes like deathmatch, ctf, etc. The best is Rambo mode, though, but nobody believes me. I think it was made by one guy, which is pretty impressive. It's free to play, but you can pay for it to support him, and get stuff like changing the color of your jetpack. I dunno. I'm cheap so I haven't paid.

Download Here!

Homepage Here!

I'm going to set it for normal deathmatch for now, once we get more people on at once I can change it to CTF and such. IP and password is at the top of this post.

[tiny](the ruger is the best gun you can suck my balls)

(how i shot law)[/tiny]

Edit: If you have trouble joining, try forwarding ports 23073 and 23083 to your computer.

Lemming on

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shit yes

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am so up for this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I managed to connect to the game but no one was there and then I lost connection

How odd

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I dunno what happened, but it's back up now. You tards should get on!

Lemming on
    edited February 2008
    If anybody wants to play, I'll be on for a while. Fear my ruger!

Lemming on
    edited February 2008
    We have some people on right now! We're playing! Join!

Lemming on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm up for this.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I used to have a dedicated soldat server. That shit was the only reason my PC was turned on for a long time.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Well, if you like it so much, why don't you get on? :O

Lemming on
    edited February 2008
    So, I can't connect. It stops at requesting server.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy shit this looks awesome. Downloading now!

IvanIssacs on
    edited February 2008
    Capuano wrote: »
    So, I can't connect. It stops at requesting server.

Do you have the right IP and port? Did you put in the password (wang)? Did you forward the right ports to your computer?

Try those things. I have an admin program and I haven't seen any requests in a while.

Lemming on
    edited February 2008
    We have like 3 people we need more for ctf join join join!

Lemming on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That was pretty epic imo.

IvanIssacs on
    edited February 2008
    Indeed. That was pretty much awesome. I love the grenade launcher or the spas-12 with the rocket launcher as a side weapon. Good times.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited February 2008
    I'm around if anyone wants to play.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I used to play soldat all the time back on my old computer, so I just downloaded it, only to find that it apparently doesn't work on Vista; any time I try to start the game, it immediately gives me a "soldat has stopped working" error message

does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it

Randall_Flagg on
    edited February 2008
    Works on Vista for me. Try their forums?

Lemming on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm bumping this. I'd love to play tomorrow if anyone's interested. THAT IS, if you're not too busy creating crazy creatures with the spore creature creator....

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    Dang, this is old

You want me to start the server back up?

Lemming on
    edited June 2008
    That's not a bad idea. I just want to get my Soldat on!

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    Alright, it's back up. You should be able to join. Anybody wanna play?

Lemming on
    edited June 2008
    I'm up for it. Gimme ten minutes, and I'll be on :D

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in ze server

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2008
    I'm trying to get on the server, but no luck yet...

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    Hmm... no luck :( What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I got it working, I just removed the digits after the colon.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lemming probably took the server down, the topic is 4 months old.

MechMantis on
    edited June 2008
    Nah, its up.

What error messages are you getting?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2008
    I dunno dude, it was up and three different people were able to join

Do you have the right ports forwarded?

Lemming on
    edited June 2008
    Ohay there were posts on the previous page.

I is dumb.

MechMantis on
    edited June 2008
    That was fun. Holy crap cmdprompt, you're really good at this game :)

By the way, my guy was named Hop-down. I'll change it next time we play.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    The one hand rule shall be enforced until further notice

My finger is hovering over the ban twice button

Lemming on
    edited June 2008
    Awwww snap. I'ma hafta get me some Soldat lovin sometime this week.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited June 2008
    I should play this.

But goddamnit just spent hours re-downloading Dystopia.

:|

MechMantis on
    edited June 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

I don't understand the rule. does that mean I'm only allowed to walk in one direction and not aim, Or does that mean I can aim but not walk around?

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, I used to be awesome at this game. (I was a shit head and would peg people in mid air with that funny grenade launcher thing.)

Then I stopped playing for six months and sucked again. It's like tribes two without the tribes or the two and everyone should play it because jet boots and explosions are cool.

And your avatar can look like Mister T, complete with gold chains. Who doesn't want to be Mister T with jet boots and a gun? Bad people, that's who.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

I don't understand the rule. does that mean I'm only allowed to walk in one direction and not aim, Or does that mean I can aim but not walk around?

Oh no, it's just for CmdPrompt. Please continue as normal.

Lemming on
    edited June 2008
    I think he just meant for me :P

And yeah, I've played this game for a long time. Let me know if I'm ruining anyones enjoyment by killing them too often. ok that sounded really egotistical but seriously i don't want to ruin it for anyone

Here are some quick tips:
    Momentum and movement are really, really important.
    o When running, hold the direction you're going and hit up every once in a while. Eventually you learn the rhythm and go much faster.
    o Back-flipping is awesome. Hold back (away from the direction you're facing), jump, and hit the jets.
    o Learn to superman- prone and hold down your jets in air. Make sure you have momentum though.

And a long-ass thing from one of the best rugerers in Soldat:
    ..: The Rules of Aiming :..
    .Tutorial and tips recognized and inducted by Mancer.

Rule I : Adjustments
    ~

As the first rule, you must adjust your mouse speed in Soldat > Options to match certain variables you play with. These variables are:

- Whether or not you have an optical/laser mouse or a ball mouse

- If you play halfscreen or fullscreen

- How much desk space you have for your mouse

As comparison, I will give you my variables for soldat. I use soldat on halfscreen, with an optical mouse, and my mouse speed is on 30%

Q: 30%? Why so slow?

A: This is an estimate, but the lower the mouse percentage the less 'jittering' the crosshair gives you, so you can effectivley aim a lot better. This varies for some people. Though most of you know me as a ruger user, this tutorial is for ALL weapons, so I am confident when I tell you that the lower the better. I wouldnt go under 30%, though.

As a tip to get used to your newley lowered sensitivity, I would suggest going to about 65% first, and then work your way down, 60%, 55%, 50% until you get to a sensitivity thats confortable for you. At first, it will feel like a really fat guy is holding onto your crosshair, but you'll get used to it, trust me.

Rule II : Crosshair Position
    ~

The second rule is the most important rule of all, and the hardest to learn.

When aiming at your enemy, you know how you tend to look (with your eyes) at the enemy soldat, instead of your crosshair? You mentally adjust your crosshair based on where your enemy is. What you forget is that your CROSSHAIR decides where the bullets go, not your enemy! So why look at your enemy? look at your crosshair based on where your enemy is, not the other way around.

When you position your crosshair by staring at it, instead of staring at the enemy, you'll realize, "Holy shit, I've been putting my crosshair in the WRONG POSITION the entire time!" This takes a while to get used to, and even I am guilty of forgetting to do this sometimes.

Rule III : Overshooting and Undershooting
    ~

The term Overshooting means to position your crosshair very far behind the enemy, almost to the edge of your screen. The opposite of this is Undershooting, which means to put your crosshair too close to YOU.

Your crosshair wants to be within a 1 inch radius of your enemy. Sometimes close enough so that your crosshair turns red when you scroll on top of your enemy. Overshooting and Undershooting makes it so you shoot with an 'invisible sniper line' that you imagine in your head, effectivley worsening your aim. So, don't do it! Move your crosshair closer to your enemy.

Rule IV : Bink and Movement Acc
    ~

Unfortunatly, Bink effects all guns. And so does movement acc (when you move, you bink). To counter bink and to help stop it, you can ease the pain by not running when you fire. What I mean is, when you fire, do not hold down the key that makes your soldat run to the left or to the right. You can be MOVING but not running. This is an optional rule seeing how its pretty tough to remember but if you do remember to do it you should experience less bink and more shots landing.

Rule V : Take Your Time
    ~

Some tend to think you should rush on any given chance you get. This is not the case. Take your time. Fire slowly, make sure each bullet has a good chance of landing before you are going to fire. Do not fire at enemies where you have very low chance of killing them, and unless you like spraying, don't spray because if you reload in the middle of a firefight you will be the one to die.

A good way of remembering to go slowly is to listen to your shots (if you have sound on). If your gun sounds monotonous and repititious, you are doing it wrong. Your shots should be random and jagged, so you can confirm that you are slowly aiming. Though in desperate situations this method is not reccomended (such as low Health)

Another good way of remembering is to consider each bullet to be worth 600$. You don't want to go wasting 600 dollar bullets, now do you? If you miss, thats 600 bucks down the drain. So take - your - time.

Rule VI : Virtical = Bad
    ~

For this rule, think of 1,2, and 3 being measurements of difficulty. The hardest being 3 and easiest being 1:

3. Shooting Someone Virtically
    2. Shooting Someone Horizontally
    1. Shooting Someone Diagnoly

So what does that little chart tell you? That when you shoot at someone virtically, you are more likeley to miss than shooting at them horizontally or diagnoly. If you are in a situation where someone is above or below you, you have 3 options to pick from.

3. Wing it and try to kill them anyway.
    2: Don't fire at all. Just wait until you get diagnoly to the person or horizontally to them.
    1: Throw nades. If you have nades when you are above/below someone, USE THEM!

Now, which one is the easiest? Thats right. Throw nades when someone is above or below you. Don't have nades? Don't fire at all. You will probably miss and get caught in a reload. Diagnoly is the easiest place to kill someone because you are usually above them and can get headshots better than horizontally or virtically.

Rule VII : Optional Tactics
    ~

~ Wait

This rule is optional, but it can increase your chances of a kill if you chose to do it. A good tactic for killing someone is to wait until about 50% of their clip is emptied before you start attacking at all. When doing this, they will be caught in a reload faster and you have a better chance of killing them when they empty their clip. WARNING, almost 90% of the time, when someone has no clip, they begin to spam nades. So be prepared for nades if you decide to do this tactic.

~ Don't Start Firing Until...

Don't start firing until the enemy has been a good 2 second on screen. Why? This allows you to have time to aim and position your crosshair, giving a better chance of a hit.

~ Enemy is Speeding

If your enemy is moving very fast past you, wait until they slow down before you start unloading your clip. The faster they move, the more of a chance you will miss.

Rule VIII : Chill Out, Shit Happens
    ~

Getting angry only makes your game worse. You wont be flawless with these rules, so don't think you are going to be. Have fun, enjoy the game, and don't get angry. Once you get angry, shit gets broken. And when shit gets broken, you get even angrier.

Closing
    ~
    Thank you for reading. 90% of the people who I've taught these rules to have since improved their game of Soldat. If for any reason you disagree with any of the previous, simply ignore it and do it your own way. This is how I aim, and if you want to aim like me, follow my rules. Practice makes perfect, so the more you do them the more fluent you will become at them.
    ~

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for posting those tips Cmd. they were incredibly helpful. Next time we play, can we do some rambo match?

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited June 2008
    Awesome game bill cosby! We tied that last one :D

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.