As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warframe] WHEEE x69

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I don't know why people are saying the quest is bad. It's exactly the type of quest I would expect to accompany an update like this. Introduces the individual members of the new faction and the new mission types, but doesn't actually explain how to play them because it's Warframe at the end of the day.

There's a bit of characterization that will probably pay off in the future:
    The Holdfast make the player character consider that trying to go to Tau again might be a good idea. Things only went bad last time because the Orokin botched the execution as much as anyone could.

Also, a detail I like (New War Spoilers):
    The Operator and the Drifter still have different dialog. The Drifter is more jokey and fun, while the Operator is more bitter and grouchy.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The most irritating thing for me is that now the MR28 test is stupid as hell. Throwing thermia canisters has always been incredibly janky to aim, and when you take away my energy, mobility, and ability to kill Eximus enemies...I legitimately have no idea how I'm supposed to do this.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The most irritating thing for me is that now the MR28 test is stupid as hell. Throwing thermia canisters has always been incredibly janky to aim, and when you take away my energy, mobility, and ability to kill Eximus enemies...I legitimately have no idea how I'm supposed to do this.

Ha. Never mind. I had to practice three or four times but I threw a Tonkor on Wukong and that was enough.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    kralizecc wrote: »
    Been reading the official forums trying to get a feel for why this update felt like a personal attack on all I love. I had no idea so many people valued void dash in the same way. I'd say it gives me a little hope, but the changes made really sends a message that they changed things to remove the specific speed and utility that folks value.

I doubt it's just an "oops, we didn't realize what folks really enjoyed" and more of a "we don't want you playing the way you were, get used to it with maybe some minor changes that won't return the basic utility"

I mean that's coptering all over, too. Seeing people talk about "I can't fly infinitely anymore by combining X Y Z" makes me feel like yeah, they turned the knob on purpose.

And I'm pretty sensitive to the argument that they don't want spoilermode to be just an accessory/transport mode/buffbot for your frame, too, so I'll see where it goes. (I mean, not like my spoiler's very pimped out or anything.)

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I forgot, what was the timeline between coptering getting axed (or at least dial zorened) and bullet humping becoming a thing l?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure it was a direct replacement, no? Same patch. Everyone bemoaned the lack of mobility with new parkour, but like... It's fine turns out? (Okay, wall-run is now janky and I hate the hop, but whatever.)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's a bit of characterization that will probably pay off in the future:
    The Holdfast make the player character consider that trying to go to Tau again might be a good idea. Things only went bad last time because the Orokin botched the execution as much as anyone could.
    I have to wonder if Ballas himself sabotaged the ship because he didn't get to be on it and didn't want anyone else to get to go to Tau before him. It would have been perfectly in character for him.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Been reading the official forums trying to get a feel for why this update felt like a personal attack on all I love. I had no idea so many people valued void dash in the same way. I'd say it gives me a little hope, but the changes made really sends a message that they changed things to remove the specific speed and utility that folks value.

I doubt it's just an "oops, we didn't realize what folks really enjoyed" and more of a "we don't want you playing the way you were, get used to it with maybe some minor changes that won't return the basic utility"

I mean that's coptering all over, too. Seeing people talk about "I can't fly infinitely anymore by combining X Y Z" makes me feel like yeah, they turned the knob on purpose.

And I'm pretty sensitive to the argument that they don't want spoilermode to be just an accessory/transport mode/buffbot for your frame, too, so I'll see where it goes. (I mean, not like my spoiler's very pimped out or anything.)

Some aspects are very similar but the important parts don't line up. This took quite a bit of work to enable was not infinite and without developing a specific skill set was dysfunctional as a mode of travel.

I'm on board with spoiler mode not simply being a mode of transport, but you don't fix that by making that mode of transport the worst option. Leaving it as is would surely encourage more use and not detract from other things that prove useful. I get the feeling that this was simply too effective of a way to bypass grind related gameplay. Long hallways, difficult terrain, the exposed hull on corpus ships especially. It feels like they want to force people to interface with those things in a more grindy way as it's the main functional difference in the nerf aside from simple joy in the act of dashing.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    I will admit that the focus changes have me technically using spoiler mode more often.

Before, I would go into spoiler mode and dash whenever I ran out of energy to get 150 energy.

Now I go into spoiler mode and sling twice every half-minute to get +40% ability strength and +50% casting speed.

Once I max out Molt Vigor, I may even start using my spoiler mode's 2!

• Options

Some aspects are very similar but the important parts don't line up. This took quite a bit of work to enable was not infinite and without developing a specific skill set was dysfunctional as a mode of travel.

I'm on board with spoiler mode not simply being a mode of transport, but you don't fix that by making that mode of transport the worst option. Leaving it as is would surely encourage more use and not detract from other things that prove useful. I get the feeling that this was simply too effective of a way to bypass grind related gameplay. Long hallways, difficult terrain, the exposed hull on corpus ships especially. It feels like they want to force people to interface with those things in a more grindy way as it's the main functional difference in the nerf aside from simple joy in the act of dashing.

Mm... I see what you're saying, but I feel like you actually kind of do? Leaving aside the other stuff they added (which I've not checked out yet tbf) like buffs/etc, if spoiler is supposed to be a highly distinct mode of gameplay/set of options for you the player when taken into account as an overall arsenal component, I think it makes sense. You still want spoiler to be able to do the void jumpy thing, but not necessarily be better at movement than the warframe which can like, turn into a pixie and run up a wall and so on.

As was, it was pretty doable to make the spoiler effectively more mobile than the frame, yeah? And invisible/invulnerable besides? I can see wanting to step on that, but still leave something for things like the first section of New War where you're doing the thing with the guards and the stuff. (Where what I want is a void "voop" over to that cover there, aimed, maybe vertical, etc.)

• Options
    There's a part in the new boss fight where the boss becomes invincible and you need to precision-sling your spoiler mode through floating orbs that are rotating around the boss to make it vulnerable again.

I think that's the real reason they changed dashing into slinging. Dashing was too fast for unpracticed players to aim well, which would have made that boss fight a pain in the ass. So they changed dashing into a slower, more precise mechanic so that any novice would be able to beat that boss.

• Options
    I will admit that the focus changes have me technically using spoiler mode more often.

Before, I would go into spoiler mode and dash whenever I ran out of energy to get 150 energy.

Now I go into spoiler mode and sling twice every half-minute to get +40% ability strength and +50% casting speed.

Once I max out Molt Vigor, I may even start using my spoiler mode's 2!

I like many of the changes, and I think those things are what make spoiler mode more of its own thing and not simply a tool a warframe has.

Mm... I see what you're saying, but I feel like you actually kind of do? Leaving aside the other stuff they added (which I've not checked out yet tbf) like buffs/etc, if spoiler is supposed to be a highly distinct mode of gameplay/set of options for you the player when taken into account as an overall arsenal component, I think it makes sense. You still want spoiler to be able to do the void jumpy thing, but not necessarily be better at movement than the warframe which can like, turn into a pixie and run up a wall and so on.

As was, it was pretty doable to make the spoiler effectively more mobile than the frame, yeah? And invisible/invulnerable besides? I can see wanting to step on that, but still leave something for things like the first section of New War where you're doing the thing with the guards and the stuff. (Where what I want is a void "voop" over to that cover there, aimed, maybe vertical, etc.)

I think you're making two different arguments here, one for spoiler to be its own thing with reason to use outside of being a mode of transport. and one for not infringing on the supremacy of warframe movement. You only add to spoiler mode being a thing in its own right by making it more useful, you make it less of one by removing functions. Void dash nerfs remove reasons to use it. If what you want is a very specific balance of toolsets this is definitely a way to get a very specific balance but it seems arbitrary to favor warframe movement other than to force interaction with content.

It took quite a few million focus to get void dash functionally faster than a frame, but I wouldn't say it was more mobile exactly it kindof depends on where you want to go or do in particular. There are a few exceptions, but most of the other changes do solidify spoiler mode as a legit game mode, but void dash just seems like a painful nerf with no benefit, no bullet jumping or added mobility. Just a no, don't do that. I think your first argument is wrong, but it for sure makes it a useless mode of transport as you can do it better in most frames.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm coming at it from the POV, I think, of "it's (void dash) not actually supposed to be a mode of transport in the first place". I've always felt it was more of a combat reposition or quick sneak around, etc, as opposed to the way you'd move through an entire area that's otherwise available to your frame.

To me, spoiler is slower, less mobile, more fragile--even if tanky it's no Inaros Prime--but in exchange can do some fun sneaky shit with magic void powers. Void Dash had all those powers available to like, drop mines, suck mobs in, do all sorts of clear "in combat" or semi-utility effects on dash (Zenurik bubble) so it always felt funny to me that it was seeing use for long-distance movement.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    There's a part in the new boss fight where the boss becomes invincible and you need to precision-sling your spoiler mode through floating orbs that are rotating around the boss to make it vulnerable again.

I think that's the real reason they changed dashing into slinging. Dashing was too fast for unpracticed players to aim well, which would have made that boss fight a pain in the ass. So they changed dashing into a slower, more precise mechanic so that any novice would be able to beat that boss.

I suspect you have cause and effect backwards there, they probably designed the boss mechanic around the reworked spoiler dash

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I never actually liked void dash.

In theory I would really dig it, but for whatever reason Warframe really doesn't like to accept the input for it reliably, so being able to just keep hitting space after the first one is actually kinda nice even if the movement may not be as good.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I never actually liked void dash.

In theory I would really dig it, but for whatever reason Warframe really doesn't like to accept the input for it reliably, so being able to just keep hitting space after the first one is actually kinda nice even if the movement may not be as good.

It was hot garbage in anything but solo, or if you were hosting. Any latency at all hurt swapping to spoiler mode and would ruin timing and aim so badly it was comical.
    Yeah, I'm coming at it from the POV, I think, of "it's (void dash) not actually supposed to be a mode of transport in the first place". I've always felt it was more of a combat reposition or quick sneak around, etc, as opposed to the way you'd move through an entire area that's otherwise available to your frame.

To me, spoiler is slower, less mobile, more fragile--even if tanky it's no Inaros Prime--but in exchange can do some fun sneaky shit with magic void powers. Void Dash had all those powers available to like, drop mines, suck mobs in, do all sorts of clear "in combat" or semi-utility effects on dash (Zenurik bubble) so it always felt funny to me that it was seeing use for long-distance movement.

I think most players will have a similar perspective. Even though I was very surprised at the number of people who play the same way I do, I still think most people don't really know the reality of void dash. It took a lot of work to access and It's one thing to read about it or see it, but using it was pure joy and freedom if you like warframe mobility.

• Options

I think most players will have a similar perspective. Even though I was very surprised at the number of people who play the same way I do, I still think most people don't really know the reality of void dash. It took a lot of work to access and It's one thing to read about it or see it, but using it was pure joy and freedom if you like warframe mobility.

You're PC, yeah? Maybe that's a thing too, since it always felt... Iffy on a controller/Xbox. Like it worked, but eeeeeeeh. You know?

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Sheeet, I sometimes forget that I have a spoiler mode. Not intentionally mind you. I would often find myself doing some mission on Jupiter and after the third or so fall off the map remember that I could void dash over there. D'OH.

And let's be real here. This was partially to stop people from speed running missions ... or at least to slow them down. Watching videos of people spamming void dash in bounties always made me chuckle. Well, we saw what they did to blink so we should have seen this one coming next. I don't mind the changes but then again I've never really use my spoiler mode much in the first place even though I am/was trying to unlock all the waybounds. I can however see why people don't like the change though.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options

You're PC, yeah? Maybe that's a thing too, since it always felt... Iffy on a controller/Xbox. Like it worked, but eeeeeeeh. You know?

For sure, the only other version I've played was switch, I can image there being a lot of control and timing related differences. I think if they gave an option to remove the charge mechanic from it, just set it to max or even a slider so it worked instantly at a given distance a lot of people would struggle through the differences and eventually come to accept the abuse.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Sooo. After the patch the infinite elevator bug has dropped from affecting 50% of bounty missions to just 20% of bounty missions.

Pinions is definitely going to be annoying though. Since you need 15 for both the primary and the melee incarnon weapons you need 30 Angel kills to get all incarnon weapons (31 if you were foolish enough to spend the pinion you got from the quest). The bounty weapons are no less grindy, as all of their components have the 10% drop rates (on Rotation C).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh yeah I can't imagine using old void dash to move efficiently with controller, I managed bullet jumping pretty well but void dashing gives you a lot less momentum and hang time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Frankly even after maxing out my void dash there are very few situations where I used it

Open world maps when fighting bosses and a few corpus maps I guess?

It felt like most of the tilesets were actively hostile towards it which, eh, not getting around fast enough was a problem in very few situations.

And thinking about it I tried not to use it a ton anyways because spoilers.

• Options
    U9CcrbM.jpg

Took a few practice runs to get the right weapon combo.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    So I heard the quest etc was buggy as shit: yes/no? I wanna play it before shit gets spoiled for me, but not if it's going to piss me off.

Edit: I mean bad bugs, not the usual "Dammit DE that is not how gravity works" hilarity.

dporowski on
  • Options
    So I heard the quest etc was buggy as shit: yes/no? I wanna play it before shit gets spoiled for me, but not if it's going to piss me off.

Edit: I mean bad bugs, not the usual "Dammit DE that is not how gravity works" hilarity.

The quest was bug free for me. And there are no extremely bad bugs in the update (nothing like sentient boss bug), only a bunch of annoying ones like the mobile defence "console is gone" bug and the "Infinite elevator" bug which can force you to abort the mission (ie, time/progress waster bugs). Those have been greatly lessened by the hotfixes.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    First impressions: "Here, solo a sortie-3 endless with endless magnetic procs. GLHF!"

Not starting off on a high note, I'll tell you what.

Edit: ...Well that was abrupt.

dporowski on
  • Options
    So it seems like, generally speaking, Molt Efficiency will not be as good for your energy economy as Arcane Energize, right?

I did some quick math, and what I found was that even under optimal conditions, you'd need to be getting energy orbs at a slower rate than one per minute for Molt Efficiency to be saving you more energy than Arcane Energize gives you. If you're getting energy orbs that infrequently, then you probably aren't killing things fast enough, in which case you probably have bigger problems than your energy running out.

But my sloppy math is usually wrong, so I thought I'd ask what you guys think.

• Options
    So it seems like, generally speaking, Molt Efficiency will not be as good for your energy economy as Arcane Energize, right?

I did some quick math, and what I found was that even under optimal conditions, you'd need to be getting energy orbs at a slower rate than one per minute for Molt Efficiency to be saving you more energy than Arcane Energize gives you. If you're getting energy orbs that infrequently, then you probably aren't killing things fast enough, in which case you probably have bigger problems than your energy running out.

Energy economy, no probably not. But sometimes you just want moar duration ya know (and it's the third most efficient way of doing that. Second if you don't want to use Narrow minded).

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    well i slacked long enough for them to basically send me a set of voidrig blueprints and it seems like the mats were also reduced because I only needed to mine a couple things that took 5 minutes and bought 1 part of a player for 10p. So I have all 4 component pieces cooking now. Will I need to extensively grind my necramech before I'll be able to do the new war quest stuff that requires it?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    well i slacked long enough for them to basically send me a set of voidrig blueprints and it seems like the mats were also reduced because I only needed to mine a couple things that took 5 minutes and bought 1 part of a player for 10p. So I have all 4 component pieces cooking now. Will I need to extensively grind my necramech before I'll be able to do the new war quest stuff that requires it?

Eh. Probably not. Stuff a basic survival mod or something in and have an archgun that can kill something, probably fine. It's really not the focal point.

dporowski on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Story quests will probably always have minimal requirements if there is no specific floor to accept it.

• Options

Energy economy, no probably not. But sometimes you just want moar duration ya know (and it's the third most efficient way of doing that. Second if you don't want to use Narrow minded).

Yeah, it definitely has certain use cases. Lavos, who already gains no benefit from Arcane Energize to begin with. Stealth missions, where you need to keep your invisibility effects up without killing things. Builds that use a lot of augments that benefit from duration, so they're not competing for the same slot.

It's fun to imagine some kind of wacky caster build where you try to raise all your stats as high as possible while also keeping them as even as possible. First you would need to put on all corrupted warframe mods except Blind Rage and Transient Fortitude, which would put your stats at:
    • -60% Strength
    • +39% Duration
    • +60% Efficiency
    • +30% Range
    Now use your remaining mod slots for Growing Power, Cunning Drift, Stretch, Augur Reach, Primed Continuity, Constitution, and Augur Message, which puts you at:
    • -35% Strength
    • +146% Duration
    • +60% Efficiency
    • +120% Range
    Next you add in the non-mod ways of increasing your stats, most of which benefit strength. These include the warframe arcanes Molt Efficiency and Molt Vigor, the Helminth ability Empower, the parazon mod Power Drain, the Madurai focus node Sling Strength, and the kitgun arcane Pax Bolt. Under ideal conditions (which, admittedly, would never happen), your stats would be:
    • +180% Strength
    • +182% Duration
    • +75% Efficiency (hard cap)
    • +120% Range
    Probably not viable due to how defensively vulnerable it would leave you and the unreliability of having all your strength buffs up at the same time, but might be fun to play at lower levels.

But in terms of pure energy economy, Arcane Energize will indeed usually be better.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I haven't done the (forced) respec on my spoiler yet. Worried I'll mess it up somehow. Any suggestions?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I haven't done the (forced) respec on my spoiler yet. Worried I'll mess it up somehow. Any suggestions?

Just make sure to do the waybounds first, though if you had them before you probably have enough to grab them again anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I would ever use something as valuable as an arcane slot for +36% duration even if it was static, buuuut I guess it might have some niche uses somewhere.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options

It's not a big deal. Focus is school bound, so you're stuck with the stuff you had, and like was said just get the waybounds first. I am now stuffing Unairu lenses on half my stuff so I can get those waybounds and MAYBE DIE A LITTLE LESS HUH MAYBE.

• Options

If you don't want to read through all the individual nodes in-game, there are patch notes with all the numbers here.

In terms of identity, the schools are even more well defined than they were before. The magic school doesn't have a weird, random melee passive anymore, for example. So I'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you.

• Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

i leveled my stupid corpse-bot thing to level 11? i think. just enough to get the full ability set and was fine for new war.
    i think you could probably take a rank zero into new war and be fine. there's no reason for the requirement. i think they just really liked the idea of the splashy entrance it makes.

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Voidshell texture choices are all I really wanted in warframe, my life is now complete. Shiny metallic silver for every choice is pure bliss.

Playing the new quest, I really like the
    little orb things you interact with to summon ghosts that take you to secrets.
    It feels like a great way to direct exploration for those who never saw it as an obvious activity.

kralizecc on
  • Options
    Voidshell texture choices are all I really wanted in warframe, my life is now complete. Shiny metallic silver for every choice is pure bliss.

Playing the new quest, I really like the
    little orb things you interact with to summon ghosts that take you to secrets.
    It feels like a great way to direct exploration for those who never saw it as an obvious activity.
    1638824949.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.