As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't wait for the giant crab

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So takeaways here

Currently development pattern, while good for early access, made planning for 1.0 more difficult, as features that couldn't be done in time for the next update were frequently getting pushed. Aditionally, it was putting performance pressure on the team as they felt they had to focus on big impressive stuff for each update,

Going forward there will be smaller updates, and they'll likely be in experimental for longer, but they're also going to be more transparent about what's coming. Update 6 will focus on exploration

-No new production items.

-World: Spire Coast update. As mentioned, get your factories out of there. Apparently even the resource nodes are changing locations. Swamp is getting some tweaks as well. Water, rain and sky visual updates are in development as well.

-Creature Updates: Updated behavior and abiltiies, possibly new creatures, but no Giant Crab yet.

-Equipment: Weapon changes, and the long awaited equipment rebalance. Hopefully we'll finally be able to wear a hazmat suit as the same time as a jetpack/hoverpack.

In-game Map: Increased features for ease of use and planning expeditions.

Technical stuff: Various performance tweaks

-Overlocking rebalance: They're looking into getting rid of the power curve for production buildings, making them linear. (So a machine running at 2x speed will only use 2x energy) Also means underclocking will be nerfed similarly. (.5x speed means .5x energy). This isn't set in stone, it's one of the things they want player feedback on. Personally after building 30 nuclear power plants I'm not super concerned with power, but hey, more power. This seems more for earlier in the game than where I'm at.

Release Window: Aiming for June

So this is a little disappointing for me. No new build items means I have less of an excuse to go back to the game for this update, especially when there's still no word on a fix for the throughput bug.

That said I thought Update 5 was going to be underwhelming, but it turned out pretty great, so who knows.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've gotten to the point where I have multiple production facilities and they've gotten spread out. I've been told that in the long run it's advised not to just have miles-long tracks of conveyors so I'm curious what the best move is for me going forward.

Right now I have most of my facilities across from each-other with a large, flat field between them where my space elevator is set up. I they're producing iron, copper, steel, compressed coal, concrete, and a crude oil pipeline from a satellite facility allows for the production of plastic and rubber (though the rubber supply coming from there isn't very high).

My satellite facilities are:
    Iron/steel facility > plates, reinforced plates, frames, screws, pipes
    Coal power station > coal, steel beams, rotors, power
    Oil Island > crude oil and caterium (piped/conveyed to main facility for plastic/rubber), gas for generators, rubber
    *new* Quartz mine - This just got hooked up to the grid and is filling storage containers with raw quartz. Soon it'll be processing it into crystal and sillica

I just got monorail and have trucks unlocked but there are cliffs, mountains, and steep valleys between the stations so I wasn't sure what to do there that'll look good. It might be best to start at the highest point and just start with a really tall rail system to cross the terrain until I get back to the grasslands where the space elevator is. I can use vertical conveyors to bring the stuff up towers that link my facilities.

Remeber that you can build roads to make the truck paths more traversable.

Remeber that you can build roads to make the truck paths more traversable.

Yeah, I was intending to, but don't have a good vision for how to make a good-looking road system out of foundation blocks that also has to ascend/descend several stories into ravines. I am trying to integrate my facilities into the landscape in ways that look believable and not like a 11-year-old's Minecraft level. Building towers to connect monorails to different areas looks better in my head than chunky block-and-ramp roads but perhaps someone has some inspiration that will show me how it can be done more organically.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I think some people make spirals out of train tracks to allow monorails to reach various elevations.

Like in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LgAboR_as

Yeah, I was about to say you may want to look up some YouTube videos for inspiration.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    You can totally just have miles long spaghetti conveyors if you don't have a sense of shame

I do have a sense of shame so I still have the miles long spaghetti conveyors, but I feel bad about it

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    You can totally just have miles long spaghetti conveyors if you don't have a sense of shame

I do have a sense of shame so I still have the miles long spaghetti conveyors, I just feel bad about it

Conveyors have a larger performance hit thab trains and trucks, so once you start building wide enough, having lots of long belts can totally kill your framerate.

I do have a sense of shame so I still have the miles long spaghetti conveyors, I just feel bad about it

Conveyors have a larger performance hit thab trains and trucks, so once you start building wide enough, having lots of long belts can totally kill your framerate.

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to avoid.
    I have a very beefy PC so it's not bound to be a problem for a long time but I wanted to get into the mindset sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the spiral idea. I could definitely find a way to make that look nice.
    I'm also heavily considering a total dismantling of my first open-air production area (nicknamed "Spaghetti Factory") and re-making it as an indoor facility with better aesthetics. It's mostly redundancies and traffic-jams now anyway.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just put up walls around it and make it a historical monument.

wzybd4967vpr.png

Tourism is passive income, very efficient.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to avoid.
    I have a very beefy PC so it's not bound to be a problem for a long time but I wanted to get into the mindset sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the spiral idea. I could definitely find a way to make that look nice.
    I'm also heavily considering a total dismantling of my first open-air production area (nicknamed "Spaghetti Factory") and re-making it as an indoor facility with better aesthetics. It's mostly redundancies and traffic-jams now anyway.

So i run my rails along the cliffs and stuff. I usually just build stations right on the mountainside and elevator the material up and down. If i do need to change elevation then i give myself plenty of run so it looks a bit more natural.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I've gotten to the point where I have multiple production facilities and they've gotten spread out. I've been told that in the long run it's advised not to just have miles-long tracks of conveyors so I'm curious what the best move is for me going forward.

Right now I have most of my facilities across from each-other with a large, flat field between them where my space elevator is set up. I they're producing iron, copper, steel, compressed coal, concrete, and a crude oil pipeline from a satellite facility allows for the production of plastic and rubber (though the rubber supply coming from there isn't very high).

My satellite facilities are:
    Iron/steel facility > plates, reinforced plates, frames, screws, pipes
    Coal power station > coal, steel beams, rotors, power
    Oil Island > crude oil and caterium (piped/conveyed to main facility for plastic/rubber), gas for generators, rubber
    *new* Quartz mine - This just got hooked up to the grid and is filling storage containers with raw quartz. Soon it'll be processing it into crystal and sillica

I just got monorail and have trucks unlocked but there are cliffs, mountains, and steep valleys between the stations so I wasn't sure what to do there that'll look good. It might be best to start at the highest point and just start with a really tall rail system to cross the terrain until I get back to the grasslands where the space elevator is. I can use vertical conveyors to bring the stuff up towers that link my facilities.

@TankHammer If you go back a couple of pages and read through, you'll find lots of posts from me of my train systems. These can give you some inspiration on what to do!

A double-tracked train system takes some doing but it's the sort of long term investment that really, really pays off. Not only does it move stuff good, it moves power for you.

Quick recommendation: No more than 2 carts to a train. While you can do more, this slows down the train's accerlation/decceraltion a lot. This is fine on single A-B tracks with no intersections, but on multi-train tracks it has a lot of issues.

I generally build my tracks as close to the ground as possiblel just using platforms that i delete for ease of building. For handling slopes, i either build train spirals or do slopes.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I forgot the game told me that rails carry power. Thanks penguin!

Also it's good to know I wasn't missing something. Guess I'll build a rail system and a series of depot and see how it goes.

• AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    I will say that I find trains to have some of the most satisfying sound design in the game. Riding one is a joy.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I forgot the game told me that rails carry power. Thanks penguin!

Also it's good to know I wasn't missing something. Guess I'll build a rail system and a series of depot and see how it goes.

You're welcome. I'll pay some extra shots of things later when I'm home to show off how I feel with some of the stuff in the game

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    ok so do we know which parts of the world they aren't touching? I wanna get back into it but I don't wanna put a whole mess of work in just to have to do everything again

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    ok so do we know which parts of the world they aren't touching? I wanna get back into it but I don't wanna put a whole mess of work in just to have to do everything again

Here's a map from the wiki:

payaw0lviw9s.jpg

Video of the spire coast changes. I'm not familiar enough with the territory to ooh and ah over these changes, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeABKTT4t4w

The existing area is just generic brown, to memory - so this is very big. I look forward to it!

I haven't gotten into the monorail yet, but I am having way more fun than expected programming trucking routes. I love my gigantic, idiot sons.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I hope they clean up the waterfalls from nowhere. Besides that I'm looking forward to exploring the new area.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I tend to just start a new factory every time theres a major update, trying out different starting spots.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    I used to do that, but now I've got the sunk cost of a couple of storage unit full of snowballs, so now what I do is not play anymore.

I may need to rethink this strategy at some point.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tubes and belts. Abandon all other modes of transportation.

Now that I have so much unlocked, there is temptation to try and build up a central depot near the space elevator and then take a rail line out to some new area. I just unlocked the map as well, which should help.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Tubes and belts. Abandon all other modes of transportation.

Specifically, a Mk5 belt pushing you into a hypertube cannon.

Eh, i stick by a good ol' Train network. It's nowhere near as fast, sure, but it's safe, reliable, and when it comes to constructing new areas i'm going to want to build track out to them ANYWAY, and once i've built a train depo it always has a drone delivery spot too so i can start summoning any and all resources i need as long as they're supplied to the drone network.

...which everything is anyway. (I cannot overstate how decadently luxirious it feels to just hit "Send me a drone from the concrete factory" and get resources air delivered). Admittedly, the drones are a bit late game, but...

Eh, i stick by a good ol' Train network. It's nowhere near as fast, sure, but it's safe, reliable, and when it comes to constructing new areas i'm going to want to build track out to them ANYWAY, and once i've built a train depo it always has a drone delivery spot too so i can start summoning any and all resources i need as long as they're supplied to the drone network.

...which everything is anyway. (I cannot overstate how decadently luxirious it feels to just hit "Send me a drone from the concrete factory" and get resources air delivered). Admittedly, the drones are a bit late game, but...

I haven't unlocked drones yet but that sounds awesome. I'm on that stage of unlocks and am looking forward to it!

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zombie, what is your factory ultimately producing? After building a nuclear plant, I managed to slam out the last space elevator stage and I didn't really go back to the game after that. Looking for inspiration to go back.

Doc wrote: »
    Zombie, what is your factory ultimately producing? After building a nuclear plant, I managed to slam out the last space elevator stage and I didn't really go back to the game after that. Looking for inspiration to go back.

Uh... Stuff.

I've never completed the final stage of the space elevator. Keep getting distracted with tear downs and rebuilds. This is the second time I've been building a heavy modular frame factory... And if the changes to power shards go through I want to rebuild my nuke factory... My new factories are already built with overclocking in mind, i just said fuck it (and even cheated in a bunch of power shards so i could overclock everything to my hearts content)

Right now my overall goal in the game is too have factories that produce every major item i'd need/want, everything connected by one massive train network (Current network covers from the crater lakes, gold coast, the western desert, down to the grass fields, and up into the red jungle). Of item production, i've got everything that batteries (using the classic battery recipe) require done, and I'm nearing completion on the Fused Modular Frame factory.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

This is what things look like currently - i havnet actually done a lot in game for a few months other than that silly train spiral thing - i'll work on the game more when i feel like binging another series.

https://youtu.be/8BxYvOLpjGo

Things mentioned as possibly coming to this or future updates.

-More resource nodes in the Spire Coast
    -Way to manage what crash sites you've looted.
    -Changes to the big flat mesa next to the Dune Desert

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The canyon is easily my favorite build location so far, it'll be great to come back to it

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I should probably try a starting location other than the first.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    I should probably try a starting location other than the first.

I love the northern forest as a start location

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I always use the same starting location.

Familiarity with the terrain and nodes makes it easier to plan factory layout and train routes.

I hate getting like 75% done with a factory, only to realize I built the whole thing too close to a cliff or a big rock or whatever and I'm out of room without having shit start to clip through the factory floor.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    I always use the same starting location.

Familiarity with the terrain and nodes makes it easier to plan factory layout and train routes.

I hate getting like 75% done with a factory, only to realize I built the whole thing too close to a cliff or a big rock or whatever and I'm out of room without having shit start to clip through the factory floor.

In no way am I rebuilding my battery train spiral thing just because it turns out it's in the flight path of the moth.

No proof whatsoever.

On balance, I think I'd prefer it if you had to push E to enter a hypertube. Just so someone who is way less cool and competent than me wouldn't accidentally stumble back into their minute-long crossmap express tube right after stepping out of it. Just for example.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    On balance, I think I'd prefer it if you had to push E to enter a hypertube. Just so someone who is way less cool and competent than me wouldn't accidentally stumble back into their minute-long crossmap express tube right after stepping out of it. Just for example.

Not a solution to your problem, but do you know that you can change direction in the tube?

Well, dang. I did not know that, and it is a solution to my problem because I don't have to glare at my screen for two minutes undoing my stupid mistake.

Thanks!

GDdCWMm.jpg