As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    3.17 is live, with loot selling, mining gadgets, fuel price fluctuations, the hospital on Lorville, and the only river in the universe.

I was on the fence, but I just saw that the mobiglass rework is nearing completion and decided that my first corpse run will be far more tolerable once I never have to use that system map again.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    3.17 is live, with loot selling, mining gadgets, fuel price fluctuations, the hospital on Lorville, and the only river in the universe.

I was on the fence, but I just saw that the mobiglass rework is nearing completion and decided that my first corpse run will be far more tolerable once I never have to use that system map again.

The starmap became barely tolerable once they changed it so it always opened at 0,0 coordinates max distance and you could actually, y'know, see the system. But I won't miss it when it's gone.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Since making that post, we've had someone essentially say no sandbox games can be pay to win (wow I really disagree with that!) and SmokeStacks threw out basically "I really like the grind, so it can't be pay to win!". Which, like, come on!

Where exactly did I say this? You're either misrepresenting what I've said, or misinterpreting what I've said.

The starmap became barely tolerable once they changed it so it always opened at 0,0 coordinates max distance and you could actually, y'know, see the system. But I won't miss it when it's gone.

The current starmap is awful full stop. Its useable in that more often than not you can chart a course to get where you want to go, but its such a finicky pain in the ass to use. If memory serves the excuse for why it has existed for so long even though most people hate it is because its rework was waiting on some other technology to be implemented first, and they didn't want to waste time reworking something early only to rework it again later (which makes sense), but the sooner it gets replaced with something more fleshed out the better. I honestly think its the biggest impediment to player enjoyment of the game, especially for new players who will struggle to figure out its quirks.

Also, 3.17 finally hitting live is great. I have (if I had to make a conservative estimate) three hundred million SMGs and P4-ARs that I've horded from doing bunker missions. I'm hoping I'll be able to flip them and make enough money to buy a Greycat PTV in-game.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I have no clue if I've had any playtime in since the last reset, so I suspect I've got only my starting stuff, not that I've ever sat and done anything long enough to own any ships besides my pledges.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Oh nice. I'll patch it up and log in once or twice in full tourist mode to check out vendoring, and then go back to just watching the news cycle and playing the waiting game.

The new store interface is nicer tham before. Selling stuff is clunky as hell (its done item by item and takes a few seconds per item), but its definitely a step in the right direction. Planetary ports and orbital stations having independent inventory is gonna be a pain in the ass since it means I'll have to fly all of my ships from New Babbage to Port Tressler manually. I think they're trying to encourage players to utilize the planetary cities more, since most people seem to avoid them and you can't test something if no one is utilizing it.

I did a bunker run and normally its a shooting gallery filled with braindead AI where half of the pirates get killed by security before you evem land, bit this time it was a genuine firefight. One security guard was blindfiring from behind cover to suppress a couple of pirates while another one ran around to flank them. They popped up to shoot the flanking guard and I headshot them. I don't know if there was a genuine AI upgrade, whether it was just a fresh server, or whether it was old AI behavior that just happened in such a way to look like they were behaving more intelligently, bit it was a really cool moment.

Then I raided the place and found a railgun, which I will put to use in the mext mission. I am become Death, destroyer of mechanized sentry turrets.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Did you just forget to mention the most important feature, the coffee shop vendor??
    I did a bunker run and normally its a shooting gallery filled with braindead AI where half of the pirates get killed by security before you evem land, bit this time it was a genuine firefight. One security guard was blindfiring from behind cover to suppress a couple of pirates while another one ran around to flank them. They popped up to shoot the flanking guard and I headshot them. I don't know if there was a genuine AI upgrade, whether it was just a fresh server, or whether it was old AI behavior that just happened in such a way to look like they were behaving more intelligently, bit it was a really cool moment.

Then I raided the place and found a railgun, which I will put to use in the mext mission. I am become Death, destroyer of mechanized sentry turrets.

It sounds like the bunker missions are where the money's at, given that's where all of the loot boxes spawn. Some people have been reporting finding multiple boxes full of hadanite worth tens of thousands in some bunkers.

Also of note, I don't believe that you can actually buy those railguns on the market anymore, so that's extra valuble now. With 3.17 they've reportedly taken heavy weapons like LMGs, grenade launchers and rocket launchers out of the gun shop's inventories and relegated them to loot boxes only. Which has made a bunch of people mad because now they can't cheese bunkers by going in with an LMG and a grenade launcher.

Yeah I found a bunch of Hadanite and Dolovine rocks in that bunker, I took them back to MT Planetary Division and sold them for just shy of 50k extra. All told, it was a very lucrative mission.

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote:
    Hello! This is the poster calling the game pay to win. Could you refute that in a way aside from insisting that it's nonfactual over and over again? Typically if it's not factual you can use words and sentences to describe why that is. Just saying it's non factual over and over is a little meaningless you know?

<snip>

<snip>

TLDR;

Star Citizen probably is "Pay to Win" by some definition of the term, but not in any way that really matters. The whales flying around in their space yachts doesn't stop me from doing the things that I want to do.

I'm largely with you on this one. I think the massive price tags on these ships is enough to tip it towards pay to win enough for me to describe it as that, but ultimately we're allowed to disagree on the severity. It's a sliding scale at the end of the day, and you get put at at least the start of the scale when you charge $300 for a ship that would otherwise require in game currency to buy. I'll admit I'm more on the purist end of that debate. Pay as much as you want for a skin, that's not pay to win. Once you start letting people pay $$ for things that otherwise would need to be earned in game with time or in game currency, you've crossed the pay to win threshold.

Star Citizen is low on the actual "time saved" rating of the pay to win scale (20 or whatever let's say 10 hours to make everyone happy is a decent chunk but not hundreds like other pay to win games can be), but incredibly high on the amount paid in real $ for the advantages. It's certainly not a bargain pay to win game!

The double post is accidental, whoops messed up a quote.

We are pretty deep into theoretical debates about what makes P2W now which doesn't really have much to do with SC anymore. Do you differentiate between P2W and Pay to skip grind at all?
    And if one uses a definition of P2W as purist as yours does a game being P2W by those strict criterea even say anything negative about it anymore? I mean Path of Exile is P2W by your definition (Stash Tabs) and you seem to have enjoyed it. What makes differentiates a "bad" P2W game from one you are willing to enjoy?

I'm not trying to be tricky at all -- this thread is so defensive that people will read every ill intention into anything you say that may possibly be an attack on Star Citizen. I never said anything even adjacent to all of you being horrible for enjoying a game that has Pay to Win elements -- the Pay to Win in this game is absolutely not for me, but whatever man you're allowed to enjoy any game you want.

Thanks, I was honestly interested in your opinion. As I said it get's hard to keep the different posters apart and your position that you dislike the specific way SC uses monetization is a very different position than the one some others have given that 'SC is P2W and that makes it a scam'.

Just to reiterate my own position on why I'm okay with the model in SC in some more detail:
    I like that the monetization model gives little incentive to buy ships by making even cheap early ships plenty capable to compete in most situations including PvP.
    I like that the monetization model disencitivises buying ships with real money by making it extremely, laughably, stupidly expensive to actually buy someting beyond your starter ship.
    I like that SC uses cheap ship renting and not very expensive ingame ship prices to allow quick access to everything without paying real money (For the record your "10 hours to make everyone happy" is still far too long).
    I like that SC disincentives buying stuff by making player skill so much more important than equipment.

As I said, SC plays in such a way that I never feel like I have to grind to be able to play. There is no "real" gameplay that you have to unlock via grinding. You just jump in your starter ship and instantly start doing the good stuff, no requirement to reach level X or unlock equipment Y first. It's just playing all the way down.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The way ship-buying already seems structured to me is just the way I'd want: expensive enough that you're going to feel like you've earned a ship you wanted, cheap enough that you can get said ship by just enjoying the game, and in the meantime you can rent to make sure you actually want that ship. Plus, the rentals mean not getting locked out of adventures just because you've got the wrong ship type; if you find a chance for a big score and need a hauler instead of a fighter, you can rent something.

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular

You forgot the most important feature of all!
    Bindable "Request Landing" hotkey under Flight - Movement in the Advanced Keybindings menu.

causality.png
    Won't get a chance to try out 3.17 until a bit later today, but the new bunker mission loot seems waaaaay overtuned. CIG has never officially admitted do doing as much, but it seems as though whenever a new feature comes out (in this case, randomized loot in bunkers) they make the payout ridiculously good to encourage people to use and therefore test it out for them. Here, a guy makes half a million aUEC from a single bunker, which is enough to buy a literal tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpaWIyEkRxY

I guess it doesn't help that loot boxes seem to sometimes be "double spawning", i.e, yo dawg I heard you like loot boxes, so I put a loot box in your loot box. A lot of people are reporting that the selling interface is a pain in the arse, with no way to bulk sell inventory items, unless its a "commodity" item, i.e, a mineral, in which case you can just leave it in your ship and sell it from there as normal. So with that in mind, its not really worth going through and stripping enemies of all their sidearms and armor and selling every last scrap since armor is big and a pain to haul around, and sidearms are worth bugger all and can't be sold in bulk. So when looting, generally what you're looking for are:
    1. Commodity items, i.e, Hadanite, Dolivine that can be sold in bulk
    2. High-value weapons that can't be bought in the shops anymore, i.e, LMGs, railguns, grenade launchers, rocket launchers
    3. Other high-value weapons, i.e, sniper rifles

Followed by other primary weapons if you can be bothered, and ignore multitools, armor and other crap completely.

Basically this:
    x6dg2mzwwdy6.png

I probably won't go so far as to blow up my own ship like Berks does just to get a 1SCU container out of it, but apparently you can buy 1/8 SKU crates from any station with a cargo deck now, so I'll probably be using a couple of those for my looting needs. Now they just really need to give us more convenient ways to buy and sell things in bulk.

Man, Star Citizen has the best bugs. New to 3.17; you can load Railgun ammo into the Karna shotgun, and it'll fire regular shotgun pellets that explode like railgun ammo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTE7SF4Y5Y

Interestingly in this one he claims its only a visual effect and not actually firing railgun rounds, but in the example below they're clearly able to explode a spaceship with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/uhhvlb/shotrailgun_makes_good_boomstick/

That reminds me of the time in the first Destiny when Bungie decided they were going to adjust weapon power on a regular basis to "balance" weapon types, and since literally no one used shotguns they were going to increase the offensive power of shotguns (to stop everyone from using the same small collection of autorifles, basically). I don't know if it was just an innocent overcorrection, or whether some intern put a decimal point in the wrong place, but for a week or two shotguns were the most insanely OP weapon in pretty much any game ever made. Completely busted.

The fellas and I did a hard mode Vault of Glass (a raid) run, and everyone brought shotguns instead of me, because I did not have a shotgun (I brought No Land Beyond instead, which is basically a very powerful but very difficult to use future space Mosin Nagant). We chewed through the (traditionally wave-based) midboss in just a few seconds, and completely cakewalked our way through the finale. Fun times.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Mechwarrior Online once put a 1000% cooldown reduction for missile launchers on a Quickdraw chassis to get people to play on the public test server.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mechwarrior Online once put a 1000% cooldown reduction for missile launchers on a Quickdraw chassis to get people to play on the public test server.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mNWybex0u4

Dang, MWO, I haven't thought about it in ages. I put way more time and money into that game than it deserved.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Man, Star Citizen has the best bugs. New to 3.17; you can load Railgun ammo into the Karna shotgun, and it'll fire regular shotgun pellets that explode like railgun ammo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTE7SF4Y5Y

Interestingly in this one he claims its only a visual effect and not actually firing railgun rounds, but in the example below they're clearly able to explode a spaceship with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/uhhvlb/shotrailgun_makes_good_boomstick/

I'm guessing everything except the particle effect are in keeping with normal shotgun projectiles, so...

Can someone please test if shotgun pellets harmlessly rain back down on you if fired straight up, if they make a sound, and what that sound is?

In any other game I would assume: No, no, and none; but my SC hypothesis is: Yes, yes, high velocity impact/ricochet

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Played a little bit today, ran two bunkers, died once in each, necessitating some corpserunning. Came out the other side with more money, something like 5 different flavors of sniper rifle, a railgun, a missile launcher, a laser LMG, and some rocks I've realized I forgot to sell for even more money. Not doing any sort of pro looting strats, just going in with a backpack and then hauling out guns three at a time (two strapped to backpack, one in hands) to stash in my 300i's inventory.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Fancier guns like sniper rifles can sell for around 2k each, even a basic bitch P4-AR can sell for around 700. I have been thinking of doing the 200iq pro gamer move where you blow your ship up with a backpack in it to force it to spawn a large box, which you can then drag into bunkers to grab everything, but while I certainly think the new selling feature is a step in the right direction the tier 1 implementation is so slow and clunky that its more of a pain in the ass to grab anything that isn't a high end rifle or space rocks.

Yeah, I could stuff a box full of $50k worth of nick nacks and spend 20 minutes selling them, or I could spend 20 minutes doing another bunker pickup and delivery mission that pays $45k (plus a few grand more for Call to Arms, and not even counting the chance of walking out with a new gun or a backpack full of hadanite).

I will say that you definitely need to be on your toes in bunkers now, I used to never die in them, but now it happens way more often unless I treat it like Space Rainbow Six and move slowly and purposefully.

Fancier guns like sniper rifles can sell for around 2k each, even a basic bitch P4-AR can sell for around 700. I have been thinking of doing the 200iq pro gamer move where you blow your ship up with a backpack in it to force it to spawn a large box, which you can then drag into bunkers to grab everything, but while I certainly think the new selling feature is a step in the right direction the tier 1 implementation is so slow and clunky that its more of a pain in the ass to grab anything that isn't a high end rifle or space rocks.

Sooooo so clunky. We are in desperate need of some kind of CTRL+A "select all" functionality and a "loot all" button. Not to mention "sell all".

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I wanted to log in and check something in the hangar module, but that is still disabled for bug fixing. Alternatively, I logged into the PU, and selected Crusader since I think that is where invictus is being held next. The mass transit isn't functional, and you can't walk to the space port. Le sigh.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    If memory serves the excuse for why it has existed for so long even though most people hate it is because its rework was waiting on some other technology to be implemented first, and they didn't want to waste time reworking something early only to rework it again later (which makes sense),

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING MAP

WHAT NEW FUCKING TECHNOLOGY DO THEY HAVE TO IMPLEMENT TO MAKE THE MAP NOT SHIT

STOP BELIEVING THIS OBVIOUS BULLSHIT

uH3IcEi.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    If memory serves the excuse for why it has existed for so long even though most people hate it is because its rework was waiting on some other technology to be implemented first, and they didn't want to waste time reworking something early only to rework it again later (which makes sense),

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING MAP

I'm sure it's dependent on "core technologies" like realistic wrinkles for bedsheets.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-is-doing-bedsheet-deformation-physics-now-because-of-course-it-is/

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Monwyn wrote: »

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING MAP

I've been goofing around with UE5 lately, and the one thing that stood out first and foremost is how insanely complicated it is to do anything with regards to videogame development. Nothing is simple, at all. Even things that seem like they would be a piece of cake (switching camera views, object collision, making an options menu) are a colossal pain in the ass, and these are things that are industry standard features using tools that have been improved and streamlined since 1998. Doing something like a map that has to be scalable from a system wide view all the way down to the interiors of surface level buildings (which is the intention) using tools that had to be designed from the ground up while playing nice with every other feature its linked to (the starmap, technically called "Skyline", but everyone just calls it the starmap, is linked with the new building blocks system they've been working on for the mobiglas that will add functionality for other programs to run on it outside of the current mission log, journal, currency handling, etc) isn't that easy. Basically, while on the surface it would appear to be a simple request, the starmap is interlinked with multiple game systems, and is considerably more complicated than just "a map".

Yes, the current map suuuuuuuucks, and we've been saddled with it for too long, and (like I said earlier) it is probably the biggest impediment to player enjoyment (especially for new players), but there have been enough complaints about it that if replacing it was really as simple as you seem to think it was than it would have been done by now, right?

Also, you should probably think about switching to decaf.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yes that's why no game was released in the last 11 years

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    they gotta nail down 'talking to a shopkeeper npc, before they can get to that. this is uncharted videogame territory it's gonna take a bit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    So I wanted to log in and check something in the hangar module, but that is still disabled for bug fixing. Alternatively, I logged into the PU, and selected Crusader since I think that is where invictus is being held next. The mass transit isn't functional, and you can't walk to the space port. Le sigh.
    They were functioning fine when I went there for ship parts, it was getting there that was the issue, there's an annoyingly common bug where you don't get your landing pad hud marker, and Orison is not structured in a way that makes it obvious which of the floating things is where you're supposed to land. Ended up having to google for a picture of it.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    They were functioning fine when I went there for ship parts, it was getting there that was the issue, there's an annoyingly common bug where you don't get your landing pad hud marker, and Orison is not structured in a way that makes it obvious which of the floating things is where you're supposed to land. Ended up having to google for a picture of it.

I'm assuming bri means the old hangar module, the place where you used to be able to spawn your ships and walk around/get inside of/look at your ships before they were flyable. I think they nuked that because all of the ships that were hangar ready became flight ready, so you can just check them out in Arena Commander or the PU. The hangar module is supposed to return in the form of persistent player hangars, which will be nice to see (having something to use as a "home base" that isn't some random static hab unit will be cool). Being able to bring other players into your hangar will be nice for social stuff, or just goofing off. If anything it'll be nice for people who still have a bunch of old hangar decorations in their accounts.

Orison is enough of a pain in the ass to land at when you don't hit the marker bug, I can only imagine trying to figure it out blind. I can say that pinging the structures with tab is a good way to see where everything is (and get a rough idea of their distances to you) when you're descending though. It also makes it easier to tell where stuff is when its dark. In space stations or at New Babbage my plan when I hit that bug is just land at the first open hangar/pad I see, and if its not mine I run down to the terminal and store my ship. If you store it before the countdown ends it won't get impounded and you won't have to wait or pay the 5k fee.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

TBF I don't think I've seen a game with what I'd call a "good map" in the last 11 years...

Orison is enough of a pain in the ass to land at when you don't hit the marker bug, I can only imagine trying to figure it out blind.

Did you know that some of the non-spaceport structures in Orison have landing pads, complete with the large door and elevator door that you see on functional pads, but they aren't actually part of the player-navigable city so you land and get out and go up to the door and the elevator has no call button.

Orison is enough of a pain in the ass to land at when you don't hit the marker bug, I can only imagine trying to figure it out blind.

Did you know that some of the non-spaceport structures in Orison have landing pads, complete with the large door and elevator door that you see on functional pads, but they aren't actually part of the player-navigable city so you land and get out and go up to the door and the elevator has no call button.

Yeah, the dirty rumor is that those are going to essentially be 'instanced' player hangars (if you have a hangar on Crusader you'll request a landing, one of them will open up, and when you pull inside it'll be your player owned hangar). Orison actually has a lot of cool platforms you can fly around and even land on, there are what look like habs and office type buildings with nice grass courtyards, giant shipping platforms covered in cargo containers, and superstructure that looks like it houses the machinery that keeps the platforms floating. People actually do vehicle races on some of the platforms, and ship races around and through them (now that the vehicle position updates are much faster/smoother close formation flying is a lot safer, but people still tend to smash into each other or the platforms on a regular basis). The leaked Invictus event this year actually has players doing a multi-stage FPS mission going from platform to platform to take out some Ninetails lieutenants before going up against a high ranking pirate leader. I think it'll either be super fun or a complete clusterfuck.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

TBF I don't think I've seen a game with what I'd call a "good map" in the last 11 years...

Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 8, PUBG, Red Dead Redemption 2, Breath of the Wild, Elden Ring, Hollow Knight, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, Fortnite, Super Animal Royale, Call of Duty Warzone, Battlefield 2042, Forza Horizon (series), Apex Legends, Assassin's Creed Origins, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Hitman, Hitman 2, Hitman 3, Return of the Obra Dinn, etc.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2022
    To further clarify when I picked crusader I appeared in the starting habitation building and from the mass transit station outside I could do nothing because no mass transit seemed to be active in the instance I was in. From there I just logged out since I couldn't get to the spaceport.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I patched up to see how my ship is doing, and uh...is there a way to disable the camera bobbing when you're just standing still?

(servers kinda stopped responding, I'll try again another day)

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Although it is pretty ridiculous how long many systems in Star Citizen are taking to implement, are there any games with a map system that can dynamically scale all the way from solar system scale down to individual ship interiors and planet surfaces? One that can tie into ship navigation and sync up between the in ship HUD and Mobiglass app at that.

edited May 2022
    The star map really is atrocious, the good news is the "new technology" they're waiting for is called "Building Blocks" and its already done; its what the new elevator panels, about half of the Mobiglass apps and the new cockpit UI are made of. There's no tech blocker here other than the time its taking to go through and rebuild literally all of their existing UI to use building blocks, which at this point is supposedly almost done. Turns out when you're rendering most of your UI as actual in-game objects rather than as decals stuck to the player's camera, you need to come up with an efficient system for rendering it all without killing all FPS.

This is what's stopping me from playing 3.17 much right now; apparently the bug is not getting the icon pointing you to the landing bay, not that ATAC won't let you land; if you're lucky enough to see the hangar open when you make the request you can still land as normal, otherwise its a guessing game of which landing pad is actually yours.

Janky or not, 3.17 seems to be pretty popular at the moment, since I've seen a bunch of videos of gameplay footage suddenly popping up on my various feeds, and I actually had to wait in a queue to login briefly for the first time I can recall since Xenothreat was new.

Mr Ray on
    I patched up to see how my ship is doing, and uh...is there a way to disable the camera bobbing when you're just standing still?

I haven't experienced that. Try "hud_bobHud 0" in the console though (the default is 2.5). I don't know if that command still works or not, but its worth a shot.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    they gotta nail down 'talking to a shopkeeper npc, before they can get to that. this is uncharted videogame territory it's gonna take a bit

The NPC will have to be able to pass the Turing test so it might be a while.

steam_sig.png
    I have been having garbage luck on bunkers, I am suspecting that the ones that had good loot were the ones that gave me 30k errors partway through. Or that one bunker that I had to log out in to save my stuff because I got shot and was bleeding out, but wasn't able to medipen myself because my gun kept popping back into my hands. Plus all the corpse runs because whoops that guy managed to tag a lucky head shot. At least I can definitely confirm that being able to actually aim your guns at things with gimbals definitely makes up for the DPS loss of having to use smaller guns. Fairly nail biting to go after a ship-based bounty, discover that his location happens to be overlapping with a randomly wandering bad guy and his wingmen as well, and somehow managing to live long enough to take out your mark, then aim for the sky and punch the throttle. Still surprised that I made it out alive, because boy my ship was not handling good by the end.

I got to play flight instructor yesterday! Been doing a bit of discord streaming on and off, and a friend that had bought into it back in the day decided to actually get it to downloaded. After a lot of waiting for loading screens because he made the rookie mistake of installing it on a mechanical drive at the time, I gave him a quick tour of new babbage, stood in the back of his 300i and stepped him through flying us to a bunker, we shot some mans, he flew us back, and then he fell through a train and died trying to get to the medical center to fix his wounded arm.

Luckily we went in separate ships for the second contract, because he ended up pancaking cuz he didn't realize how fast he was going until it was too late to stop.

This discussion has been closed.