As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Right on the edge of that. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    It snowed this morning. A lot. Like, ground-carpeting a lot. Hopefully it's the last sortie of General Winter, and we won't get more snowfall 'til next autumn.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    getting real tired of driving to work in 30+ mph winds

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    getting real tired of driving to work in 30+ mph winds

I bet your tires are real tired of it too!

• Options
    A foreboding yet beautiful start to the morning.

gebt725hw8es.jpeg

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Sailor, take warning.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    It's quiet outside. Too quiet.
    Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some storms could be severe, with hail and damaging winds. High near 53. Breezy, with a southwest wind 18 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wtf Ohio

8pe67i82z3nh.jpeg
    pajbey6s4jvv.jpeg

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We were projected to get a little rain tonight, just a sprinkle here near LAX from the last forecast I saw, but we just had torrential rainfall. Truly, about as heavy of rainfall as I’ve ever seen for the span of a couple of minutes. The intensity has dropped off from the peak but there’s still a steady rain shower with very short bursts of heavier rain.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    We were projected to get a little rain tonight, just a sprinkle here near LAX from the last forecast I saw, but we just had torrential rainfall. Truly, about as heavy of rainfall as I’ve ever seen for the span of a couple of minutes. The intensity has dropped off from the peak but there’s still a steady rain shower with very short bursts of heavier rain.

It was dumping so hard it woke me up.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

It was dumping so hard it woke me up.

I didn’t realize Skyline had opened franchises in SoCal

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Under a tornado watch right now. It's one of those wildly unpredictable fronts where a supercell could organize upwind from your house within minutes.

I'd just like to reiterate how much I resent relying on the current storm chaser culture for most of my severe weather coverage. It's a real bummer worrying about imminent tornadoes when all the live feeds are filtered through disaster perverts who are audibly aroused at the prospect of me dying in the wreckage of my home. It would be neat to have a qualified meteorologist who said out loud that they hoped the incoming front would fizzle out and everyone could go back to watching NCIS or whatever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Under a tornado watch right now. It's one of those wildly unpredictable fronts where a supercell could organize upwind from your house within minutes.

I'd just like to reiterate how much I resent relying on the current storm chaser culture for most of my severe weather coverage. It's a real bummer worrying about imminent tornadoes when all the live feeds are filtered through disaster perverts who are audibly aroused at the prospect of me dying in the wreckage of my home. It would be neat to have a qualified meteorologist who said out loud that they hoped the incoming front would fizzle out and everyone could go back to watching NCIS or whatever.

Geez!

Hang in there!

• Options
    Ah, beans. There's the tornado warning and the sirens. Time for the fraidy hole.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tornado warning expired, no damage, boots off, going to bed now. This is Eufala's problem from here on out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Love the sun and 80 degree weather in Ohio after the 30 degree days earlier in the week

But there’s 20 degree days coming up this week

• Options
    Love the sun and 80 degree weather in Ohio after the 30 degree days earlier in the week

But there’s 20 degree days coming up this week

That can't be good for the flora...

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

I would love to see flat hail.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The iced over frisbees of heaven.

• Options

Look, Heavenly Hail Corporation, proud manufacturer of hail and hail-adjacent precipitation (serving the American Midwest since its inception!), kinda had financing trouble in the last decade and haven't been able to update their hail factories to produce Blu-Ray-sized hail. They've apologized for the inconvenience.

• Options
    Looks like the cap is holding strong. Good luck with those blue balls, weather perverts, keep tweeting about how sad you are that I still have shingles.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    The iced over frisbees of heaven.

Then gravity and wind turns them into the sawblades from hell

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    jesus chroist

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Goddamn. I am sad for those folks and their houses, but I am super jazzed for all the meteorology students right now. This is the kind of intuitive data Bill Paxton's Pepsi cooler full of sensor balls could only have dreamed about.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Jesus

Isn't 140F literally uninhabitable? Not figuratively literally, literally as in your body can no longer expel the heat and will enter eventually heat stroke and die if this temperature is maintained even with adequate hydration and assuming moderately humid air.

Orca on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Jesus

Isn't 140F literally uninhabitable? Not figuratively literally, literally as in your body can no longer expel the heat and will enter eventually heat stroke and die if this temperature is maintained even with adequate hydration and assuming moderately humid air.

It's wet-bulb temperatures around 95F that can kill you since sweating will no longer cool you. Which at 140F air temp is anything over 20% humidity. Even a desert will typically have humidity at or above that.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Surface temp isn't air temp, air temp in those 140 places would be more 120. These are temps India regularly reaches, by my understanding.

Just usually shortly before the monsoons arrive, not in April.

• Options
  • Options

This honestly just feels like the lead-up to a cheap jump scare.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I assume they're in the eye of a hurricane and don't know it yet.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

At least 13 homes have already burned down, at about 200 acres. It’s windy across all of SoCal and that’s not helping.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    there's one in New Mexico that's topped... 40k acres? something like that.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.