As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    honovere wrote: »
    Sludge is basically Turnip28 without the turnip theme, right?

Sort of. It's also "post-Napoc", napoleanic post-apocalypse. Infantry as a group on 40-50mm bases counting as a single model, 3-6 of those stands in a unit. Then some skirmishers that are typical single-model bases. But same general "shitty 1700s" style.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I finished painting my Bolt Action starter army! Feels great to get an entire force painted up inside a month.
    m87i2oyszee6.jpg
    ybc9afwpibx1.jpg
    9v1fi4edhwnq.jpg
    ea7k46xakm67.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    damn you Mcgibs, thats nice man!

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Holy crap, that amount? In that quality? In a month? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
    That's amazing. Also is that a display board or a gaming board, because it's also great.

Also also I've made a huge mistake and bought a 3d printer. Gotta say the quality is better than I expected.
    c7Sp8QK.jpg

Mayday on
    Woah, that's a clean print. Is it some sort of striking scorpion marine?
    Holy crap, that amount? In that quality? In a month? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
    That's amazing. Also is that a display board or a gaming board, because it's also great.

These guys were a nice exercise in speedpainting and assembly lining, as they're pretty much just drybrushing and washes, with a tiny bit of shadow-lining to make some of the gear pop. I was able to crank out about 5 guys every night or two. I wouldn't want to make an Imperial Guard army, but Bolt Action is awesome in that this is pretty much all the infantry and support weapons I'll ever need for this army. I don't have to paint 80 more guardsmen and 12 more weapon teams. This is it.
    The terrain is just my marine/orgre army display board, which is a lot more scrubland than lush European greenery.

website_header.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That looks like a marine scale head - 3D printing has really been hitting the 'wow' point in the last couple of years. There were a couple of small companies that had little filament 3D printers running in their booths and seeing the quality of the pieces that were (slowly) being printed out live were amazing.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah that's about what my ~350 dollar printer can do. Its nuts what they're capable of now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That looks like a marine scale head - 3D printing has really been hitting the 'wow' point in the last couple of years. There were a couple of small companies that had little filament 3D printers running in their booths and seeing the quality of the pieces that were (slowly) being printed out live were amazing.

The small 8k resin printers are insane. Can only do like a 2x2x6 miniature, but goddamn the quality is perfect.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The small 8k resin printers are insane. Can only do like a 2x2x6 miniature, but goddamn the quality is perfect.

Might have preordered the Phrozen Mighty 8k <_<

Alright, let's put these in a bucket, squeeze a bottle of glue over it, give it a shake, and see what comes out.

o2iblcv2kjed.png

Aww yiss, first stand of line infantry for Sludge. Minus heads at the moment.

k42cb75ap8i5.png

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Wait, is the outhouse a unit in Sludge?

If so, that carries some potentially dire consequences.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It looks like... a ghost outhouse with a lock on the door? Truly, a collection of dire evils.

More sisters finished - I've got the original new imagifier, and after owning them for about twenty years, finally got the paint done on them.

6vVwGi5.gif

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I didn't know Duncan Rhodes was putting out his own paint line, I'll have to keep my eye open as I've been meaning to expand my paint range.

Speaking of, for metallics I've picked up Screaming Bell and Hashut Copper from GW which are working pretty well for me in terms of bronzy-coppery metallic, but for silvers and golds I'm still using Reaper stuff and I'm not as happy with them as I am with the other Reaper stuff I've still been using, so I've been thinking of grabbing some new silvers/gunmetals and gold colors. My brother suggested the Vallejo Metals line as they're pretty strong and have actual metal flakes in them, and my usual go-to is Citadel stuff because I hate money, but I was hoping to get some other possible opinions on a good place to go for metal colors.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I could be wrong, I no expert, but my understanding is that all (or at least most) metallic paints use metal flakes, I'm pretty sure the Citadel ones do.

In any case I can second the Vallejo metal range, I've technically been using their airbrush metallics, but they work perfectly fine with a normal brush, very impressive coverage and tone, though they will cloud over if you hit them with a matt varnish, so watch out for that. I'm not a fan of the Citadel golds for the most part, but I'll still use their range for coppers and dark silvers and stuff.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I could be totally off base, but my understanding is a lot of metallic paints use mica, rather than actual metal

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    WIP from the Battletech thread: a recent Robotech kickstarter inspired me to meme things up a bit...

2NyOYY4.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm painting as fast as a Blorc moves but the finish line is on the horizon
    tdtn4y86jmy0.jpg
    Still got to paint over the decals, do the bases and fix some little things.

I don't know how to put it in words, but that is a feast for my eyes. Not only unique but absolutely amazing, <3

Mayday wrote: »
    I don't know how to put it in words, but that is a feast for my eyes. Not only unique but absolutely amazing, <3

It's their dummy thicc backsides, isn't it?
    thank you very much!

I think it's more the everything.

Nips wrote: »

Nope, it's a silly thing we've been using as an objective in Age of Sigmar etc.

The Third Battle for the Shithouse was especially nasty.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Wasn't nearly as bad as number 2, though.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Wasn't nearly as bad shitty as number 2, though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    tdtn4y86jmy0.jpg

I was going to tackle my Kill Team Ork Kommandos as my next project. After seeing this I put them back in the box in the closet.

Thanks for saving a me a lot of time and frustration!

Friends don't let friends play Blooodbowl! Games of the foozball with single d6 resolution systems are da debil!

I finished Kyganil out of the Kyganil/Ephrael Stern pairing. I took on look at the GW paint job and said 'fuck that' to doing all the check work. I regret nothing!

Seriously, I think he looks fantastic.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daemonifuge-Ephrael-Stern-and-Kyganil-2020

I might not be 'eavy metal, but I'm loving the look, especially at a tabletop distance.

5JjNZDF.jpg

LzPtmqg.gif

Next up is Stern herself, who will be the first classic black/red/white hair scheme sister I will have ever painted.

tdtn4y86jmy0.jpg

I was going to tackle my Kill Team Ork Kommandos as my next project. After seeing this I put them back in the box in the closet.

Nooo! Don't put them away! Greenskinz are so much fun to paint. And the killteam comes with that adorable commando grot.

tdtn4y86jmy0.jpg

Nooo! Don't put them away! Greenskinz are so much fun to paint. And the killteam comes with that adorable commando grot.

...that means he has no uderpants, right?

It can be two things.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Skeletons! I'm getting pretty close to actually wrapping this army, pretty exciting! I just have a dozen zombies and a vengorian lord and I'm all done :o

ptmmix9dqcyc.jpg
    tcpmucobbwfa.jpg
    1km678b4hekk.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    That purple metal is flipping amazing looking!

website_header.jpg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how the armor turned out, and it was dead simple to do - this was 2:1 gravelord grey:blood red speedpaint over leadbelcher, but you could easy vary it up with different colours or metallic bases

After testing them for a bit in different circumstances, I think it's pretty doable to get around the reactivation of the speedpaints. Generally, as long as you aren't painting speedpaint over speedpaint, or severely mechanically agitating while wetting you're pretty fine

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    ii0dzppdvr2b.jpeg
    aklaws9doaln.jpeg
    wbq4pevznwja.jpeg
    Final pack of woofs for now. These are the dry and non-moist lot. Walking mummified dogs essentially.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    My brother has always wanted to play Warhammer 40k but hasn't had the time to paint, so I've offered to help him paint his Grey Knight army. While he wants a traditional bluish steel armor color, he wasn't quite sure how blue he wanted to go, so we looked up a few examples and tried a few test models:

dy76jkl7y1ea.jpeg
    From right to left it was Leadbelcher/Drakenhoff glaze with warm highlights, Leadbelcher/Drakenhoff glaze with cool highlights, Grey Knights Steel/Drakenhoff recess shade w/warm highlights, and the same with cool.

He debated a bit about it, and while he did so I found a video from the former Heavy Metal painter that did the studio version of the new Castellan Crowe model on how he did the armor, which used a progressive mix of leadbelcher and dark blue acrylic ink. I'd never tried this technique before and I gotta say that I love it. I tried it on a fifth model and was really happy with the results:
    im5wlxxk88fm.jpeg

Lil' bro is still deliberating on what he likes best, and since I'm moving house in about 3 weeks I haven't pressured him for his answer. But I know which is the correct answer, and that's what I'm going to do.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Oh, and I forgot to mention it but he bought these models so long ago that they still shipped with the 28mm bases. I'd like to get some nice textured bases for him that are of the same vein as the new Castellan Crowe model:
    f1b6QJaswfIXdoyb.jpg

They look like rocky bases with some chaos bits strewn about. Any suggestions on where I can find these (or good STL files for them?). Regular rocky textures could work too as I think I've got some older chaos models that I could cut up for bits...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Micro arts has several kinds of chaosy bases

That undead army looks rad.

Purple. Is. Always. The. Answer.

That undead army looks rad.

Yeah they are significantly more purple in person as you can actually pick up the purple wash from the black up close. They will get a drybrush later today with some dark grey just as some highlighting.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

Hell yeah it is

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    s0tom2jkfhwy.jpeg
    igjb46sqvlbz.jpeg
    1qg5i5eqgp85.jpeg

2K POINTS PAINTED!!!! WHOOOOOOOEEEEE!

These models still suck btw, but the second time around I was prepared and found it much easier to assemble them.

This discussion has been closed.