As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - Drossmire

1141517192044

Posts

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Do we want to consider falling back to the belfry for a long rest? Alzav is good to continue but I dont know where everyone else stands. Also not sure if there is any chance we hit L3 before clearing the whole zone, which would favor a rest.

    I believe the rules are that we gain a level when we clear a zone. And Kirina is read to move on, she's not hurt and has most of her spells. Features are gone, but still....

    One last roll for temporary HP, if we're outside of combat I assume it'll run out soon. The temporary HP stays, though.

    Geth roll 1d6+2 for temp HP

    Everyone can replace their current temp HP with this if they'd like

    temp HP:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Gruush

    At first, you think there won’t be a response. Then, slowly, like watching an artist’s posing doll be moved over and over, the figure does two things. First, he points upwards, opens his fingers slowly, then sharply drops his arm. Second, he takes something from his near toothless mouth and tosses it over to you.

    48c7sv1ni4q2.jpeg

    An ornate key!

    We’ll flashback if need be, but you don’t have the means to do any more with this guy…



    Adventurers

    Expectant of further harm, you cross onto the elevator with weapons drawn. Solomon, Simon, Gruush and Arthur skulk down the steps to the lower level, while the rest crouch on top. Did there used to be handrails on this thing? Who makes stuff like this without handrails?

    cyzs6uckmpim.png

    The descent is long. More than one of you feels your stomach churn, unaccustomed to the very concept of such height. A lightless abyss, which grows warmer, and warmer still, with stifling dead air. You swear you feel… things… brush by your arms. Formless and weightless. Unable to grasp you, try as they might. It is almost impossible to gauge depth, the mountain is hollow out to the horizon… beneath the earth, is that even the word for it?

    crx8ed5wvo2l.png

    Finally, you have arrived. But this is all wrong.

    Oudru Catacombs, that’s what all the best maps have written on them. This isn’t a place to bury the dead. This is a city. A vast city. Made into a prison. Every door is barred, every window sealed shut. Brick by brick an entire city was barricaded, walls built to keep in rather than keep out. It has been overwhelmed by moss, fungus and rot—as if the buildings themselves have caught leprosy, or something much worse.

    Only one building, black with ash, main hall smashed in, is open to you. It is lit from within by many candles. It is only a few yards from your entry point. You see a single silhouette shuffling inside. They are lighting the candles with a long lit stick. A woman. Thin and short.

    Endless_Serpents on
    fadingathedgesmrpakukimeBursar
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Oudru Capital

    As I cannot model a city the scale of Rome, we’ll do some encounter hopping instead!

    krpe1uib2g6h.png

    A. Candlelit Shrine. Your current location. Only one lonely figure resides within this place. It once took the brunt of a massive fire, so hot it melted the stonework.
    B. Mushroom Forest. While rot is ever present, here mushrooms have grown as tall as trees. Few buildings remain standing.
    C. Fallen Tower. Once a monument to the Oudru’s craftsmanship, it has fallen across several streets.
    D. Northern Homestead. Doors and windows bricked shut, this is where the common folk lived long, long ago,
    E. Forgotten Battleground. Nothing here but tall rock formations and broken blades.
    F. Blackreach Castle. The focal point of the city, still standing defiantly. Many of the corpses you will come to see are knelt in its direction, still hoping for guidance.

    You can go about this a number of ways:
    1. A > B > F
    With this route, you approach the castle head on through treacherous terrain. It is the fastest route.

    2. A > C > F
    With this route, you approach the castle head on through an area of the city that holds much of value. It is an average route.

    3. A > B > D > E > F
    With this route, you will be using up the most time and facing the most danger, but you will approach the castle from the rear, with stealth on your side.

    Endless_Serpents on
    kimeAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular


    For now, just focus on the shrine.

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'll vote the ACF route. We could use some resources.

    As the elevator descended and the city bellow rushed up to meet them Simon thought out loud. "That was a strange deception indeed. has anyone a thought of what Watki hoped to gain? Simply a mad fool leading us to aa pointless doom?" He look on an air of false positivity at that point. "Might it be to much to hope the story she told us mere lies?" as he gazed out at the city-turned-prison he sighed "perhaps not".

    Quire.jpg
    AustinP0027kimemrpakuZomro
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav carefully steps into the shrine, glancing around for evidence of any...thing else dwelling here, before softly calling out to the lamplighter.

    "Hello?"

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    "That was a strange deception indeed. has anyone a thought of what Watki hoped to gain? Simply a mad fool leading us to a pointless doom?"

    Evil-Eyed Gruush, scratching out the matted blood from his hides with a brush he's produced from his pack, answers the question with a professional tone. "Mad, possibly...but she ent' pointless.Knew the area...knew where we were likely headed. Like, she knew I was about to eat shit from that statue..." Scratching his festering slash wound with a groaning irritation, Gruush gestures out over the towering, ruined underground city with a vague wave. "She might got caught accidental, or this could just be her regular grift, but regardless...she's well-versed in thur' area. Gave me her sword cuz' she likely has stashes an' traps throughout this bit, an it didn't matter a cinch..."

    Gruush watched the stairways and arches of the sunken architecture with quiet caution. "...I'd watch from er' backs here on in, til we pin er' down. Don't doubt she's watching even now...trying to find a way to separate us, pull us out one by one an' pillage that way!"

    Evil-Eyed Gruush's eyes flutter behind the mask, unseen. For a moment, he has to roust himself back to vigor with a few steady breaths. "Y'know, might need a bit of a breather..." He admits to the group. "Just a wee nap, mind but someone'll need to keep a watch out for Watki. After that..." Gruush gazes over the ruined cityscape, mind wandering at the possibilities which lay within. "...it seems like further up an' in would be the way, if we weren't bout to be turning around..."

    Under better circumstances Gruush would likely go A > B > D > E > F, but given his recent ass-kickings and Watki's looming threat, A > C > F seems the smarter move.

    Once Alzav determines what's going on with the strange woman here, if she ends up harmless Gruush would enjoy a Short Rest, if at all possible

    kime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    "Well, at least Watki didn't stab us in the back with a hidden dagger when our attention was diverted." Solomon looks to Gruush and nods, "At least not yet, anyways. They might show back up anytime, so it'd be wise to keep an eye out."

    Solomon follows behind Alzav, looking over the shrine and its immediate area, checking for any immediate threat. He opens his senses again to feel for the evil and unnatural. Solomon then gazes intensely at the woman in the shrine, trying to see of they are dangerous.

    I'll move near Alzav so he's not on his own if things go pear shaped. Activating Divine Sense, so any undead, fiend or celestial within 60ft that's not in total cover (so behind a wall in the building) is revealed to me. If I can get within 60ft of the woman (maybe a tad risky), I'd like to just to see if she is undead (probably, but not guaranteed). And then I'm also looking for any hidden threats and trying to gauge if the woman is potentially hostile

    Activate Divine Sense
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight

    Perception:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]
    Insight:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

    Zomro on
    mrpakukimeEndless_Serpents
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Are Geth's rolls hard to rear for everyone because the highlight is so bright? Or is that my phone?

    Insight:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]
    Perception:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers

    Alzav’s voice echoes within the broken shrine.

    The figure turns. She presses her fingertips to her face, then lets her hand linger before closing it. She tilts her head, returning to lighting little, almost finished candles she has placed all around the shrine shortly after.

    a3lhxj20w2df.jpeg

    The small woman is made entirely from glass. Her face is as still as a mask. One of her legs is so solid it cannot be moved. Her steps tink against the stone tiles of the shrine. She means you, nor anyone, harm.

    Time for a short rest!

    mrpaku
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Are Geth's rolls hard to rear for everyone because the highlight is so bright? Or is that my phone?

    They are nearly impossible to see on my phone, but clear on desktop.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Solomon

    You cannot fully describe what you sense. If the undead were a inky black pigment, this woman feels like… a dull grey held in a clear water. She has been altered by unknown magics. She’s not alive like you, but not under the wrathful curse of the undead you’ve faced so far. She is ancient. Her will is not driven by their curse.



    Alzav

    You spy a headless and armless statue at the back of the shrine. The candles are mundane, and nearly spent.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Are Geth's rolls hard to rear for everyone because the highlight is so bright? Or is that my phone?

    They are nearly impossible to see on my phone, but clear on desktop.

    If we put them in spoilers does that help?
    Geth roll 1d2 for Idea

    Idea:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    kime wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Insight
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Are Geth's rolls hard to rear for everyone because the highlight is so bright? Or is that my phone?

    They are nearly impossible to see on my phone, but clear on desktop.

    If we put them in spoilers does that help?
    Geth roll 1d2 for Idea

    Not really. It's like, the box around the roll is bright white, and on mobile the default font is white too, so it's like.... white on off-white.

    Also cool, if we're short resting I get my Channel Divinity back woot woot

    Reminder: we keep the temp HP, that only goes away on a long rest (or once you get hurt enough)

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 30
    Evil-Eyed Gruush finds a spot to relieve himself (likely, much too-close to the group). He wanders back in sight afterwards, having scrubbed much of the blood from his clothes and patching some of his smaller lacerations with needle and string (although, he still smells like spoiled milk and a ripening infection). Before anyone has asked or really noticed, the Rogue had passed out nearby the elevator mechanism; tucked into a ball, mask pulled aside their face, and gently snoring like a contented child...

    Geth roll 2d8 Healing (Gruush)

    Healing (Gruush):
    2d8 11 [2d8=4, 7]

    mrpaku on
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    A short rest at the candlelit shrine…

    You have acquired quite a haul!
    20 gold coins. Alzav! You have earned these. Add them to your character sheet.

    A ruby as big as your fist. Worth easily 200 gold, if not more. Gruush! You hang onto this.

    Solomon! You found:
    Blackreach Sentinel Helm
    ip6chkzuwi2m.jpeg

    A buckler made from solid gold! The price unimaginable! …It is purely ceremonial, and makes for a poor shield. Were you to melt it down at a later date, there’s enough to use in all manner of projects, magical or otherwise.

    You also took a full set of medium armour from the chest!
    jad1u02kw9sf.jpeg

    Feel free to swap items as you please. Be sure to say if you’re wearing anything or not.

    mrpakukimeAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur hadn't been hurt in the previous battle, so he took this time of break to pull out his book and start organizing his notes better. With a tap of his quill feather he could erase portions of a page and rewrite it, taking time to carefully put each section together. As he does, the glass woman catches his eye, and soon he finds himself writing notes about her instead. "I wonder...." he mumbles to himself, jotting down another note here and there. Finally, he closes the book, content he has captured and organized everything so far, and makes his way over to Alzav.

    "I noticed you don't carry a spellbook around. Am I right to assume you're a sorcerer?"

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    While resting, Kirina sits next to Solomon.

    "I was nearby. I heard what the undead beast said, before you felled it.

    Is that... something you wanted to talk about?"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Currently working on a reply for Kirina. Big ol' wall of exposition incoming. But gotta grab some dinner real quick

    kime
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    When Kirina approaches Solomon, he is in the process of taking inventory of and maintaining his equipment. His weapons had seen recent use both the day before and now, and Solomon is cleaning and sharpening the blades of his swords. As Kirina asks about what transpired, Solomon really doesn't want to talk about it, but Kirina's presence is calming and reassuring. Like the light she had produced earlier, Kirina had an aura that felt safe, like being comfortably at home on a peaceful night, the moonlight shining through the window. If I am serious about these people helping me, then I should be honest now. "I do not know how that creature knew me or knew why I was here. Whether it could read my mind or if the realm itself has seen into my soul, I cannot say."

    "I am..." Solomon pauses and corrects himself, "I was a knight. Not by birth, I was no noble. I was just a simple solider, conscripted from a small farming village. I was strong and could use a spear well enough, but it was my conviction and loyalty that caught the attention of the Order's commanders. For a decade, I fought alongside my fellow knights in service to our country." Solomon lays his longsword on the ground, the pommel decorated with an intricate carving of a sword. He then pulls out a broken sword of similar design, but this one with a design of a shield. "I was promoted to a commander position, along with another knight, a comrade I'd fought alongside through many a battle. I held the title of 'Sword of Retribution', she was the 'Shield of Mercy'."

    "As the 'Sword of Retribution' I helped command our Order alongside the 'Shield of Mercy'. But as 'Sword of Retribution' I had another responsibility. Our Order was a beacon of hope for our nation. No matter their circumstance or birth, one could attain honor and glory through their own righteous actions. But we, no matter how virtuous we were, were just mortals. Mortals are fallible, they can be tempted by sin and vice, tempted to break their oaths. As 'Sword of Retribution' it was my responsibility to pass judgement on Oathbreakers, those who violated our tenets. An Oathbreaker would plead their case before the 'Shield of Mercy' for leniency, but I would pass the sentence. Most violations were relatively minor and could be made up for with proper penance. More serious crimes would see a knight stripped of their title and removed from the Order. The most heinous of crimes, those that were unforgivable, could only be judged by the Gods, and it was my duty to send Oathbreakers to face them."

    Solomon continues to sharpen his greatsword, his eyes reflecting off of the worn blade. "I took no joy from what I did, but I knew it was necessary. Even though I fought alongside my fellow knights and I trusted them with my life, I knew that when I had become 'Sword of Retribution', that there would always be distance between us. We all knew that I'd pass judgement on them without bias. The only relationship that remained the same was with my fellow commander, the 'Shield of Mercy'." Solomon looks back to the broken sword. "She also knew that what we did was necessary, she understood the sacrifice we made by taking those positions."

    "And that leads to why I'm here. One day a few years ago, the 'Shield of Mercy' broke her oath and committed a most grave crime. She had betrayed our Order, she had tried to slay our King and Queen, and had slain a number of our Order during the attempt. As 'Sword of Retribution', it was my duty to pass judgement upon her and so we, who had fought alongside one another for years, did battle." Solomon's hand touches upon his left shoulder. "I shattered her sword but she still fought fiercely. If the blade hadn't been broken, it would have reached all the way to my heart and I'd have been slain instantly. Grievously wounded, I was unable to give chase as she fled. They told me that it wasn't my fault, that I'd fought bravely in the execution of my duty." Solomon sighs heavily. "But I knew the truth. I held back my blow when her sword shattered, if I'd followed through I would have slain her on the spot. Even one such as I, no better than a headsman in plate armor, was unable to strike that blow against one who I'd respected so much, one who I'd fought alongside all those years. And so, as my final act as the 'Sword of Retribution', I passed judgement on myself for my failure. I exiled myself and vowed to find her, the Oathbreaker who I had failed to stop. I followed her all over the world, leading me here. She passed through the mist and entered the Beyond, and it is my duty to find her and pass the judgement she evaded that day."

    I haven't thought of the Oathbreaker's name. But even if I had, Solomon does not speak it. He has not spoken her name in years, almost as a last ditch effort to protect himself from that betrayal. She could remain nameless, even. That could be pretty cool

    Zomro on
    mrpakuEndless_SerpentskimeAustinP0027fadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Solomon

    The glass woman was still as Solomon spoke. Once he was through, she carried on silently lighting candles, each one taking her further away from the party.

    Add the following to your longsword:
    When you roll your maximum damage with this longsword, choose an option:
    - The target is knocked prone, so long as they are medium or smaller in size.
    - You push the target away 5 feet.
    - You inspire an ally, granting them +1d4 damage to their next attack.

    There is strength in vulnerability. Virtue in coming together as comrades. Your prowess with your blade is enhanced!

    Endless_Serpents on
    Zomromrpakukimenightmarenny
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    At the candlelit shrine Simon kept his mouth shut and avoided eye-contact with Kirina and Soloman but couldn't help but overhear. A heavy burden. Once Kirina responded and the conversation came to what Simon considered a natural conclusion he attempted interject. "...has um, has anyone else considered our route going forward?"

    I had wanted to write a post that was a bit more extensive but I felt like whatever I did would step on someone's toes so I'll wait till tomorrow.
    See you then folks.

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I had wanted to write a post that was a bit more extensive but I felt like whatever I did would step on someone's toes so I'll wait till tomorrow.
    See you then folks.

    Simon being hyper focused is way more in character and fun to me.

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    "Lady Kirina, thank you for listening to an old soldier's tale." Solomon packs up his gear and stows his weaponry. "We should head out soon."

    I agreeed on a previous post, but I'll say for sure that I vote on the ACF path.

    "A direct route to the castle might be our best option. As adviseable as it might be to seek the back entrance, we do not know what threats await in this place and we should be wary of more fights like that at the elevator."

    If someone else wants to do any RP as part of the rest, that's cool. Just setting up Solomon to contiue when everyone else is good to go. No rush if you've got something cool to do.

    After Solomon packs up his gear, he approaches the glass woman. He doesn't speak to her, she'd made it clear that she had no need for conversation. Instead, Solomon bows in respect as thanks for her hospitality in this dark place.

    Zomro on
    kime
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Gruush suddenly snorts awake. Stretching out (like a cat) , the masked man has trouble remembering himself for a long while, peering up around the underground city with glazed, weary eyes. Eventually, the gaze falls over his new friends, speaking softly among the candlelight. Solomon tells Kirina a somber tale, while nearby the others listen on with a quiet interest

    Evil-Eyed Gruush finds his mask slightly askew, and pulls it back into place carefully as he slowly rises to his feet. Securing his pack, the crouched figure presses his palms firmly in and around the knife wounds from earlier. The cuts have scabbed over; the edges of the gashes tender, but already healing together. Gruush is satisfied, for the time. After all, he had always healed rather quickly from these things, even more so in this place...

    Gruush approaches Solomon as he prepares for departure, noticing the glass woman for possibly the first time. The Mask keeps a wary distance from the golem, having already been burned once by the architecture here today. Tapping his foot to let the man know he was behind him, he murmurs in quiet agreement, "If-we-had-the-time-and-tack, I'd-say-scout-round-the-back...but since we've got the Waif hanging over our heads an' limited resources, I'd say the more time dawdling, the tighter the noose."

    Gruush peers out over the sunken landscape once more, licking his lips beneath the mask as he views the sight of the ruined tower and decimated city block. "Plus, with a big bang-up like that, we're like to find weapons...tools...food, maybe drink or drug. Course, with all the dead about, could be hiding as much baddies as goodies in that's rubble. Not to mention other sort' scavengers. Be a battle between plundering the deeps an' holding the high ground, as I'd play it."

    Gruush's vote is the A-C-F path

    kimeEndless_Serpents
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Helping family with some stuff, will post soon!

    @kime FYI doing a long press on Geths highlight does a dark highlight that is helpful,
    at least on my phone.

    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gonna respond to Solomon, but busy. We can move on and I'll retro a response/conversation, if everything else is ready to go

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Alzav freezes for a moment. "Sorcerer." He says the word slowly, as if trying it out in his mouth for the first time. "Perhaps. Perhaps. In the place I came from, this is not said. But it may be that I am. Those whose blood rings with arcana, rather than studying to bend it to their will, are called nach'saer. 'Unboiled.' It is . . . not used as a term of respect, but stated as an error, to be addressed." He frowns, partly absent for a moment. "Sor. . cerer."

    "We are hunted, in that place. As apostates, by the Church, and as materia, by the Tower. Is it the same, in your home?"


    Alzav places one of the gold coins on one of the stone pedestals as he addresses the glass maiden with Thought, since she did not seem to respond to voice. "Thank you for allowing us in your sanctuary. Is there anything we can offer you, a token of gratitude in exchange for the rare moment of respite?"

    mrpakukimeZomroAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur frowns. He had asked a simple question yet it felt like Alzav had taken it as an insult. "Hunted? Absolutely not. Where I am from, Sorcerer's are treated like Kings. To be born with innate magical ability?"

    Arthur has his book out and is taking notes even as he speaks. "No, Sorcerers are rare and celebrated. Most Kings require one by their side, someone who cannot be stopped by simply taking away their focus or spellbook is an enormous advantage in court."

    "I do apologize. I had not expected that things would be different where you are from."

    ZomroEndless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Alzav

    A slurred voice, like honey. Then slowly the syllables catch up with each other.

    “You know our ways? Ah, yes, I see your blood. It has been long since I have had means to articulate my thoughts outward. This form, such as it is, dislocates me from the arcane.”

    You sense she fights to hold open this channel of communication, even as her glass face remains unmoving. Her hand lingers over a candle, the stick she uses to light them slowly burning away as you converse.

    “I will explain. It will be good if a descendant of our home remembers. The Oudru claimed a distance from the wars of the Vastness, even as our borders shrank. We were led not by kings nor priests, but a council of elected; masters of building, masters of magic, masters of mathematics.”

    You’re not used to such things being spoken of together. Each field is wholly separate in influence and social standing in the outside world. Her voice comes quicker.

    “The Pharaste, lead by their invading devil, sent a retinue of emissaries. They spoke of a peace treaty, to make Oudru allies. If not in war, at least in trade. Yet as we prepared our halls for peace, their army descended. The battle was hard fought, and we held strong… The battle was but a ruse. Our own Blackreach Sentinels had been lured by false promises, and turned upon the council, releasing a putrid horror of annihilation within the very castle they had sworn to protect.”

    The voice becomes distant.

    “Oaghavanth, Master of Memories and Ubika-Ucchal, Master of Growth saw the ravages moments before the betrayal, and set about a spell to counter it. They could not. But they spread among those taken an ever-lasting hatred born from both their hearts. The curse struck upon our people would not linger here alone. It would be willed to spread, and to take, until all is as Oudru.”

    “I am Jaabira. My long arms once held our people in warmth as the Master of Vitality. My magic was to heal, not by the will of some god, but through transformation. This form I take was the hastiest of efforts, nothing like my true self, to subdue the rot of curse within me.”

    The burning stick reaches her fingers, but she does not flinch. She puts it aside and begins to hobble away.

    “As for your offer. Live. I want you to live. Cry, for I cannot cry. Speak, for I cannot speak. Seek love, for all I love is lost.”

    I thought you’d never ask.

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpakuZomrokimefadingathedges
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fallen Tower District

    A monumental tower is cut down like a tree at the half way mark. The top half toppled down across several streets long ago. Like fresh snow, ash covers the ruined rooftops and cracked roads.

    Tower Remnants
    There is no entrance from the ground. Black moss and eerie mushrooms shaped like fingers crawl up the walls. A number of thin windows remain unbarred—or what was barring them has been ripped down. You could scale it and climb in, if you dare.

    Fallen Half
    Open to the elements at one end, it would be awkward to traverse within, the rooms turned sideways as they are. However, if there is anything to take, it’ll simply be piled up and easy to pilfer.

    Begging Dead
    A large marble dome is torn wide open. Inside some fifty bodies are knelt towards the castle. Before them is a black robe hanging on a long spear slammed deep into the stone floor. It moves as if there is a breeze.

    Silent Forge
    A huge structure of igneous stone held aloft by a single pillar; you just cross a bridge to reach it. Embers yet burn within. Surely a sign it is not abandoned…

    Arcane Conduit
    Standing stones arranged in some manner significant to those that built it. At its heart are two hand shaped indents in the ground, a touch wider apart than the average man can reach.

    Burial Homes
    You must traverse this area to move on!
    Bricked up, set with iron bars, or suffocated with fungus, large houses that might have been the home of wealthy individuals. Consider a stealthy approach.


    What do you do?

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    So one location + the Burial Homes on our way between here and the Castle?

    If that's the case, Gruush would probably go through the Fallen Half, what with the whole "treasure and goods just lying around" situation going on there

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Hello yes, Arthur wants to look at the Arcane Conduit please and thank you.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    So one location + the Burial Homes on our way between here and the Castle?

    If that's the case, Gruush would probably go through the Fallen Half, what with the whole "treasure and goods just lying around" situation going on there

    Nope! You could hit them all in order if you wished.

    Risk verses reward. Plunder verses arriving at the castle low on character resources.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Feel free to take the initiative in character, I’m sure someone will have your back.

    Oh, as an aside, I don’t believe anyone is wearing the new stuff you found. So, you’re not.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur points over to a set of standing stones. "That arrangement. It looks familiar for some reason, but I can't place why. Maybe something I've seen in my studies?" He takes a step forward, before catching himself. "I'd really like to go explore it. But I don't want to charge off away from the group."

    He anxiously taps his foot, clearly wresting with his impulsive need to study something arcane. "Any...anyone want to go?"

    mrpakuEndless_Serpents
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Clearing his throat with a sickening guttural noise, Evil-Eyed Gruush sidles up to the boy. "Ah'll come, if ye'd like." He turns back to the others, tugging his beard anxiously as he addresses the group. "Though, iffen' it were me callin' the shots, I say we all go together wherever it is we decide we're headed. Stronger as a unit, all that. Back there with the dead, if it weren't for Kirina here, and then Solomon..." The Mask scratches the back of his scalp for a while and stands in silence, letting the "compliment" fall as best the man is capable.

    "Anyway," he finally continues. "Watki sure as shit gonna be out there, watching fer' us to separate."

    kime
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Adventurers
    Arcane Conduit

    The point well made, everyone probably accompanies Arthur and Gruush to the standing stones.

    Arthur! Make an Arcana check!
    Gruush! Make a Perception check!

    Lit by dwindling torchlight, the shadows of the standing stone stretch out across the cavern. Your ears pop as you approach. The sound of your foot steps muffle. There is a pressure in the atmosphere, as if you’ve descended a great depth suddenly.

    kime
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 Perception (Gruush)

    Perception (Gruush):
    1d20-1 18 [1d20=19]

Sign In or Register to comment.