As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't understand why they decided to leave those smilies in, they're so completely out of place. :P
    I agree with you on the lacking customisation for werebeasts, but from the lay-out it seems pretty easy for them to add in more features later on. Maybe they just haven't thought of a way to properly customize them? Wishful thinking probably.

Aldo on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I managed to get the game installed and I've experimented with it a little. Not really put in enough time yet to make a judgement.

It is just a bit laggy for me though...ping is around 350-ish.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll get started as soon as I can read some of the guides on how to do stuff (CRIPES the site is slow), and the ping is unusually high - I'm running on a super-fast connection and it's 350 for me also.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wierd, I don't have any problems running it.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have around 300 ping, but I don't notice it much. Sure, harvesting is a pain, but whatever, it's free.

So I dinged level 7 on my warrior, who I might add rapes face. So far the game seems fun and pretty polished, engrish excluded. If they just fix text wrap, my biggest gripe would be gone.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They would really need to make the controls tighter, and fix the spell casting issue for me to enjoy it further. There is potential for a game there, I just can't get past the controls.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I suppose after playing some other free MMOs has dulled my senses when it comes to sloppy controls. >_< It's one of these things no one seems to get right.

No idea why.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Whoop, dinged 10. Going to bed.

Also, where the fuck can I find those Shallow Turtlens or whatevers? I looked around the area I got the quest, "Village of the Hidden Hero", but I couldn't find anything. Anyone found em?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a thread in the PW forums detailing the locations of all the monsters in the game.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If my computer can handle it, this seems interesting enough. Otherwise, I'll have to rely on the old standby of PSO to fail myself out of college.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jester, if you haven't found them yet; they're in the lake. If you jump in the water from the bridge on the north side of Nethersword and then head north for a while you'll run into them.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So you have enough slots to make one of every character type... handy.

Uhh, are you limited to only one crafting profession per character or can you take up/do multiple?

Digito on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Digito wrote: »

Uhh, are you limited to only one crafting profession per character or can you take up/do multiple?
    For as far as I am aware you can only pick one profession.

Aldo on
  • Options
    VolentiVolenti Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They would really need to make the controls tighter, and fix the spell casting issue for me to enjoy it further. There is potential for a game there, I just can't get past the controls.

I'm using a werefox and I found that if you select an enemy and simply hold the spell hot key down it worked pretty well, how it'll play out once you have multiple spells available to use could be an an issue though , also having a pet to tank for my glass cannon so early on is kickin rad.

Volenti on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Despite the atrocious grammar, I'm enjoying the game a fair bit. Seems like they took the enchanted, bloom-filled aesthetic of Guild Wars, the interface of a game like EverQuest, and the gameplay of WoW(which I guess is like any other MMO) and tied it all together with some awesome music and design. The controls are a bit wonky, though, and everything can be confusing at first, but I grasp the basic ideas behind the game. Gonna keep going with this when I wake up after a long overdue nap.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If anyone is in the ballpark and wants to get some questing done later today, look me up on the GnT ventrilo or MSN: shu_rakh at hotmail dot com. I'll most likely be watching a movie or something, but I'd like to see how this thing works for partying.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I haven't done any quests that needed a party, I figure they're not worth the trouble. I have been in parties twice now, it seems to work nearly similar to normal items WoW; gold gets divided, items get distributed in turns. Special equipment didn't get special treatment, though.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it possible for Europeans to play with Americans? I'd hate to pick this up and not be able to play with PA'ers :P

e: I'm going to take a guess and say that Europeans and Americans can play together since there's a fellow paddy in this thread (And Aldo, I'm fairly certain that he's Dutch so that makes me fairly certain....)

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Is it possible for Europeans to play with Americans? I'd hate to pick this up and not be able to play with PA'ers :P
    You can play with the rest of us. There's two servers for the whole world at the moment. We're on Delphi.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, that's sold it for me. Downloading it now, should be able to play by tonight.

Tav on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    downloading also, looks like CABAL but not so shitty? would that be a fair comparison?

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nalouto wrote: »
    downloading also, looks like CABAL but not so shitty? would that be a fair comparison?
    CABAL is pretty shallow compared to this. Back when I played CABAL all I did was grind mob after mob, in this game you'll be doing a bit more than that.

I dunno, I didn't particularly like CABAL, maybe I didn't "get it", but to me it seemed like all there was to it was letting your generic toon rip through generic mobs.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow...

I clocked something like an hour and a half on character creation.

And pet scorpion is awesome.

---

I wasn't expecting gold from the English in the game, but I was at least hoping it'd beat out, say, Maple Story. Not even close...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I made a werebeast named Typhun on Delphi if anyone is around, only around level 4 or 5.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    so which class is the most fun (read OP) so far?

preferences?

my warrior is a little bland so far, should I stick it out?

Nalouto on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I kinda like my warrior for the simple fact that most of his skills seem to consist of: inflict pain, inflict more pain, inflict massive pain and inflict massive pain over time. :P If you're looking for something more complicated/new and exciting: the werefox (furry girl) has some interesting mechanics going on.

Frosteey: Yeah, it's all Babelfish. On the bright side: you don't actually have to read it to understand what you gotta do. Check your questlog for more elaborate info or if you're really lost: www.1perfectworld.com has summaries of all quests.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Frosteey: Yeah, it's all Babelfish. On the bright side: you don't actually have to read it to understand what you gotta do. Check your questlog for more elaborate info or if you're really lost: www.1perfectworld.com has summaries of all quests.

Yeah, the core requests are generally comprehensible, and the quest log/tracking pretty much takes care of just skipping the dialogue.

But I just can't help but feel some amount of contempt for people who would butcher my language to this degree without clear comedic intent.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In a perfect world, all those damn foreigners would speak good english, right?

rv on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    somes of its reads like swissgar wrote them questions.

Nalouto on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Yeah, the core requests are generally comprehensible, and the quest log/tracking pretty much takes care of just skipping the dialogue.

But I just can't help but feel some amount of contempt for people who would butcher my language to this degree without clear comedic intent.
    Try imagining your character is in a foreign country and everyone kinda knows a few words in his language, but not all that much. :P

I know, it's horrible, but I fear the first free MMO with good English will be Mythos.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Digito wrote: »

For as far as I am aware you can only pick one profession.

I did all four quests and got all four basic crafting skills. It might be impractical to level them all up but I'd be surprised if you couldn't do it.

(Haven't played in a while, though. Connection too iffy recently.)

Mith on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh! Ok. I should probably do that, then. Kinda useful to be able to destruct everything you don't need, those diamonds you get out of are worth more than the sellback value sometimes.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just had to share this

pinkflyingfox.jpg

What ... the ... fuck?

Aldo on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this must be what azeroth looks like on speed

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    this must be what azeroth looks like on speed
    I was thinking LSD.

Aldo on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    fel weed

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    fel weed
    Truly the answer to everything.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    fel condoms for her pleasure

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This reminded me why I started to dislike MMO's. This game, while very pretty, is horribly grindy.

The English translation is horrible, too.

--

ElementClient2008-02-1023-19-12-49.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But... but... but... ok.

I'll at least try it out :)

Also, to add some substance to the thread. While I won't be using it, this little gem is fairly interesting.
    (from wikipedia)

Phone Lock

As a prevention system against account hackers, Perfect World has a Phone Lock feature[2] for those who wish to use it. The Phone Lock, when activated, will freeze an account until the player of that account dials in using the registered phone number. Once the number is recognised, the account is temporarily activated for login. The player must login within 10 minutes of activation before the account login is frozen again. The player may continue to play despite the freeze. If the player logs out after the 10 minutes is up, that player must dial in again to temporarily deactivate the Phone Lock again.

I have a feeling nobody will use it, as people are generally too lazy to go through stuff like this to protect their stuff, but it's an interesting take on account protection.

Threelemmings on