As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's beer on the sun ....

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hoooooly crap, that’s a lot of value.

Hopefully paid members will get to watch ad free, but not having to purchase episodes a la carte is a massive deal

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The trailer rocks, BTW.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    They sent out an email update today, encouraging everyone to support the Rifftrax kickstarter that has about two days left. They've met their goal already, but they're pushing for stretch goals now. Pledging just $1 gets you 10 Rifftrax shorts, but will also get you five shorts through the Gizmoplex featuring Mike -

A Day At The Fair
    Is This Love?
    Progress Island USA
    Speech: Platform Posture and Appearance
    Money Talks!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Is This Love? is easily the best short

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    The rough cut of epsiode 2, Robot Wars, is/was tonight! I missed the live show, but am about to watch it from start.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    All told, I actually liked this one a lot! The quips seemed to flow overall better, with a lot of actual laugh out loud moments for me, and the movie was a perfect level of cheese.
    And I appreciate how much the cast hated our sexual harassing, asshole "hero."

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    This one fell a little flat for me. Too many of the riffs seemed to be just "pop culture reference!" "another pop culture reference!"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    This one fell a little flat for me. Too many of the riffs seemed to be just "pop culture reference!" "another pop culture reference!"

mccloud

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty good but still not quite peak MST3k yet. Better than the first episode though. I've been really enjoying the little Q&A behind the scenes stuff afterwards too.

Side note, maybe I missed this on the first episode with all the technical difficulty stuff (speaking of which, White Dot April fools best joke) but they renamed Gypsy to GPC? (or at least specifically call her that instead of Gypsy now) Literally why? Was Gypsy considered offensive somehow? I dunno, I noticed that in the intro song this time and it's weird. I don't like it as much :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty good but still not quite peak MST3k yet. Better than the first episode though. I've been really enjoying the little Q&A behind the scenes stuff afterwards too.

Side note, maybe I missed this on the first episode with all the technical difficulty stuff (speaking of which, White Dot April fools best joke) but they renamed Gypsy to GPC? (or at least specifically call her that instead of Gypsy now) Literally why? Was Gypsy considered offensive somehow? I dunno, I noticed that in the intro song this time and it's weird. I don't like it as much :(

Gypsy is considered a slur in certain cultural circles, maybe that's why?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Gypsy is considered a slur in certain cultural circles, maybe that's why?

Yeah, that's my assumption. Though it always felt like one of those things that no one is actually offended by despite that (but that's just my gut feeling, maybe it actually is offensive to people) *shrug*

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yes. The term gypsy is a racial slur against travelers/Romani. Joel specifically changed it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    They also consider travelers and Romani a slur. But it was a non-controversy that was easily avoided by changing the name. The only thing that bothers me is the change of the character personality from a seemingly Richard Basehart obsessed quaaludes-overdosed 50's housewife to whatever it is now.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It was a fine change. My nostalgia for a name shouldn’t outweigh someone’s right to not have to deal with slurs.

• Options
    It was a fine change. My nostalgia for a name shouldn’t outweigh someone’s right to not have to deal with slurs.

TBH I wish they'd picked a different one though. GPC is just awkward to say.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    They also consider travelers and Romani a slur.

What's the non-slur, preferred term? That's all three of the ones I knew...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

TBH I wish they'd picked a different one though. GPC is just awkward to say.

I think it's a play on pronunciation, "GYP-C".

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    They also consider travelers and Romani a slur.

What's the non-slur, preferred term? That's all three of the ones I knew...

There isn't really one that's acceptable across the board. Different groups find different terms offensive. Some embrace gypsy, some consider it the worst of the three. Go to North Augusta, South Carolina and ask if someone's a traveler and be sure to bring a bag to collect your teeth. For some groups "Romani" carries similar connotations to calling someone "Oriental", it's a descriptor of language and culture but not of people. "Roma" is about as close as you'll get, although it's a term of ethnicity and not all groups are descendant from it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Epsiode 3 premiere night! Beyond Atlantis is the movie. I knew they were using Emily instead of Jonas for this episode, but I didn't realize the boys would also be using different voice actors. Do you know why that is? And whose doing them?

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I am very confused by this Crow’s decision to go with “little boy in a cartoon” for his voice.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Pretty certain it has to do with their solution to pandemic interrupting the production. Broke things into different "teams" and split the episodes up between them.

Loved the opening tonight. Seems like it was cleaned up well.

So how far were you into the movie when you realized it was a "Shadows over Insmouth" adaption?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I get changing a fictional characters name but what do people named that do. I went to highschool with more than one Gypsy(not slurring their ethnicity like that's their legal first name).

Also changing hosts is fine with me but my brain recoils at changed bot voices. Then again... i guess Crow does say 'I'M DIFFERENT!'. Still, brain go :open_mouth:

• Options
    Beyond Atlantis

jesus christ, that ending (the movie, not the closing skit)

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    It turned into a sitcom in those last 30 seconds, I'm having trouble thinking of a weirder ending to an MST3K movie.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Epsiode 3 premiere night! Beyond Atlantis is the movie. I knew they were using Emily instead of Jonas for this episode, but I didn't realize the boys would also be using different voice actors. Do you know why that is? And whose doing them?

this is the cheesy movie circus time bubble tour cast (emily, conor and kelsey), they're doing half(?) of the episodes this season. someone else did crow on the other tour, i think

Naphtali on
  • Options
    My biggest problem with these early access videos is no stinger at the end of the episode

That’s my favorite part!

• Options
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    my nuts
    BANG!

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

The Crow and Servo with Emily are the same actors who performed with her on the live shows. Jonah has the Netflix actors for his Crow and Servo.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Which begs the question: who are Joel’s Crow and Servo going to be?

• Options
    I really liked that one. The Crow was the same Crow I got for the Time Bubble Tour show so I recognized the voice. To be honest I have really complicated opinions on that voice because I kind of hate it, but the woman doing the voice is actually super talented and I tend to forget I dislike it partway through because she otherwise does an awesome job. I sort of wish they'd just given her a unique bot instead (also because I like her normal voice a lot better than her "Crow voice") just to remove that dissidence of Crow sounding "wrong" :P Maybe after hearing it enough I'll just get used to it :P

What a weird ass movie though, wtf. That ending was so bizarre. "Let's blow up the temple as a distraction but then totally not use that distraction and get into a big fight." And then the guy totally just robs the pearls off that girl's dead body in front of everyone and her dad doesn't even seem to really care. "You killed my daughter and I am sad but even though I killed that one dude at the start of the movie just for trespassing you people who have been stealing our pearls and murdered my daughter are totally free to go"

• Options
    Yeah I think there was a missed opportunity to just make some new bots. Having different voices when actors come and go makes sense to my brain, but when there’s multiple Crows and Servos and they all have different voices and personalities it just kinda screws with me a bit.

Also Joel is on staff, and he’s a master tinkerer! Just have him build more creations.

That said, the riffing is great, so the most important part is there.

• Options
    I've been falling behind on the live releases of the new episodes, so I missed the live version of episode 4: Munchie. But the standard length version of the episode is out now too.

It sure is ... a movie. Basically your standard ET ripoff with a heavy does of, oh, let's say Alf. I actually didn't mind the first half hour or so of the movie. But then the nightmare factory that is Munchie made his debut and I pretty much reacted the way the entire crew did. Even once you start to become enured to his presence, his whole role in the film seems confusing. Are we supposed to like him or be annoyed at him? Are the things he does supposed to be GOOD things? Who knows, by that point, every character is reduced to a caricature, and bad comedy is one of the hardest things to sit through. But at least it's not bad by MST3K standards, mostly because the bar is set at Mac & Me and the non-horror half of Pod People.

Also, I can't believe I have to put up a CW for a MST3K episode, but this is the world we live in.
    At one point, the child main character imagines his own funeral. It's a silly bit, not a problem in itself, but well ... this is not a great week to experience it, you know?

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Pretty cool how Gizmoplex support doesn’t respond to any emails ever.

Pretty cool.

• Options
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Pretty cool how Gizmoplex support doesn’t respond to any emails ever.

Pretty cool.

You try their forums? They're making such a big deal about them during live stream stuff, might be worth a shot.

• Options
    Yo Munchie is a ridiculously bad movie but very good MST3K episode.

Also I think I like Tom’s voice on Emily’s SOL more than Jonah’s.

• Options
    I totally forgot to watch this all weekend T_T I'll have to try to remember tonight.

• Options
    I backed it and haven't watched a single episode because gizmoplex won't open on my TV for lovin' or money

• Options
    Which begs the question: who are Joel’s Crow and Servo going to be?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was either Jonah's (Hampton Yount and Baron Vaughn) or Emily's (Kelsey Ann Brady and Conor McGiffin). I'd guess probably Emily's group if I had to pick.

My dark horse pick would be the old school (Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett), but I'm not aware of them doing anything on camera for season 13 so probably very unlikely.