As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    you'd need the tube to have a series of airlocks that only open briefly to let the falling squirrel through or you'd just recreate the pressure differences in the earth's atmosphere

Nothing is too excessive in our quest for proper squirrel defenestration

I appreciate you creating the space for me to feel confident suggesting the tube be filled with sharks

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I feel like it'd be easier to construct a 50' tube and put a blue portal at one end and an orange portal at the other end than the colossal undertaking it would be to make a single tube half the diameter of the planet.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    You're clearly not committed to us being able to accidentally nudge inconvenient squirrels out a window, ensuring that their deaths are rolled an accident, @Pinfeldorf

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I just think the effort is better spent inventing a portal gun, is all.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    vacuum sharks!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Today I learned that if you wish to murder a squirrel by defenestration your window will need to be placed at least 4,800 miles up.

This is due to the fact squirrels can survive falls at terminal velocity, but cannot, thankfully, survive starvation.

I think you can feel confident that they'll suffer fatal decompression from about 100km or so, you just need to make sure you're not also sucked out into the cold vacuum of space.

We could do that, yes.

Or we could construct a 4800 mile tube, full it with air and earth like gravity and resume defenestrating squirrels so that they stave to death just before impact

BRB, outlining plans for squirrel space elevator complex in the Australian Outback.

The problem with that is, to the best of my knowledge, Australia doesn't have squirrels.
    I'm just saying, if we're going to have to ship squirrels to Australia for a proper death by defenestration, why not just ship them ground so they starve before they get there?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Today I learned that if you wish to murder a squirrel by defenestration your window will need to be placed at least 4,800 miles up.

This is due to the fact squirrels can survive falls at terminal velocity, but cannot, thankfully, survive starvation.

I think you can feel confident that they'll suffer fatal decompression from about 100km or so, you just need to make sure you're not also sucked out into the cold vacuum of space.

We could do that, yes.

Or we could construct a 4800 mile tube, full it with air and earth like gravity and resume defenestrating squirrels so that they stave to death just before impact

BRB, outlining plans for squirrel space elevator complex in the Australian Outback.

The problem with that is, to the best of my knowledge, Australia doesn't have squirrels.
    I'm just saying, if we're going to have to ship squirrels to Australia for a proper death by defenestration, why not just ship them ground so they starve before they get there?

Too obvious that it was intentinal murder. If they just fall out a window... we cant be blamed!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

The custom was first recorded in 1800, with subsequent accounts of it being produced into the early twentieth century. According to these, the Mari Lwyd was a tradition performed at Christmas time by groups of men who would accompany the horse on its travels around the local area, and although the makeup of such groups varied, they typically included an individual to carry the horse, a leader, and individuals dressed as stock characters such as Punch and Judy. The men would carry the Mari Lwyd to local houses, where they would request entry through the medium of song. The householders would be expected to deny them entry, again through song, and the two sides would continue their responses to one another in this manner. If the householders eventually relented, then the team would be permitted entry and given food and drink.

• Options
    vacuum sharks!

nkg4kjs1auxu.jpeg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

The custom was first recorded in 1800, with subsequent accounts of it being produced into the early twentieth century. According to these, the Mari Lwyd was a tradition performed at Christmas time by groups of men who would accompany the horse on its travels around the local area, and although the makeup of such groups varied, they typically included an individual to carry the horse, a leader, and individuals dressed as stock characters such as Punch and Judy. The men would carry the Mari Lwyd to local houses, where they would request entry through the medium of song. The householders would be expected to deny them entry, again through song, and the two sides would continue their responses to one another in this manner. If the householders eventually relented, then the team would be permitted entry and given food and drink.

So, wassailing/caroling with extra steps and a horse carcass?

Sounds appropriately Welsh to me.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    q3EC1xG.jpeg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'd argue that my state's current governor has an ever more white name of Pete Ricketts.

Also Paddock was not governor of Nebraska. He was secretary of the Nebraska Territory and lost the race to be the first governor.

Okay now I'm looking at this list of state governors and there are SO many more white person names on here.

Ashton C. Shallenberger
    Ezra P. Savage
    Albinus Nance
    Silas Garber AND Silas A. Holcomb

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    OK which John St. John is that for Kansas????

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Some of those aren't even state governors, they're territory governors.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Triple H!

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Saving that for rpg character name ideas. Looking forward to playing Halfling Bard Fenimore Chatterton.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Whitemarsh Seabrook is a d&d name for sure

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Tasker L. Oddie is definitely a gnome

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    They're actually all humans

• Options
    You cannot convince me a dude with a name like Rawghile isn't some LOTR high elf motherfucker trying to pass

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's just a variant of Rawley (which is itself a variant of Raleigh)

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Chumbly Ashingtonford-Smythe of lower Florida

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    q3EC1xG.jpeg

KJJOKTS.jpg

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Okay, this is insane.

So, back in the 1930's, the dude who created cryptic crosswords and one of the most popular puzzlers in the world, wrote a murder novel. And made a puzzle out of it.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/653534/cains-jawbone-book-puzzle
    The conceit of Cain’s Jawbone is both simple and intimidating: According to an epigraph at the front of the book, the slim volume’s pages have been accidentally printed out of order, and it’s up to the reader to the find the correct pagination. There are millions upon millions of possible combinations, but only one arrangement of pages is correct. Finding it will supposedly help the would-be solver identify six murder victims and their killers—provided they can sort out the story’s seemingly endless tangle of obscure literary and historical references, each of which could either be an important clue or a red herring.

The puzzle within the book is so feindishly hard that there are only 4 known people who have solved the puzzle in the last 90 years. 3 solvers back when it was first published, and one modern crossword writer last year, who had originally dismissed it as too hard to solve -“The only way I'd even have a shot at it was if I were for some bizarre reason trapped in my own home for months on end, with nowhere to go and no-one to see”. That damned 2020 monkey's paw strikes again.

Anyway, it was republished a couple years ago and has reached some prominence on social media after someone started posting their progress and murder wall on TikTok, but the whole thing is absolutely mad.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Every once in a while I think about tracking down a copy and trying to solve Cain's Jawbone

I don't think I'd be able to, but it might be fun to try

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    And that modern crossword writer is this guy

Not me, my avatar: John Finnemore

As well as being a crossword compiler he's a wonderfully funny radio sketch show and sitcom writer and I urge you all to listen to his stuff

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The world’s largest single-celled organism is Valonia ventricosa, a sea-algae that can get to 5 centimetres in diameter.

btcvpo5gbnud.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also known as "bubble algae" or "sailor's eyeballs" according to Wikipedia

Which is unfortunately silent on the information I went looking for: can I eat it?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Which is unfortunately silent on the information I went looking for: can I eat it?

You can eat anything at least once.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

You can eat anything at least once.

As a rule, don't eat the same thing twice. It's never as good the second time, no matter what your dog thinks.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The shrimp in the tank ate it after I poked it to see what would happen while I was house-sitting. It broke open pretty easily, and more importantly, my friends I was house sitting for didn't notice.

So if you're a shrimp, yes, you can eat it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Jedoc wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Just browsing around Ebay...

Oh, right

Desert Storm Trading Cards were a real thing.

zbqx9o99x43r.png
    Keep an eye out for his rookie card, if you can find one where the corners haven't chipped off the clay tablet you can swap it at the crossroads in exchange for mastery over the blues guitar.

I found his rookie card but the corners were chipped and "someone" drew a mustache on it. I traded it to the devil for mastery over the ska guitar.

Now I have buyer's remorse.

Heffling on
  • Options

zt2wxl8w9cvu.png

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The world’s largest single-celled organism is Valonia ventricosa, a sea-algae that can get to 5 centimetres in diameter.

btcvpo5gbnud.jpg

ORB

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'll notify Brisco

John Bly will undoubtedly be about

• Options
    Love the Brisco County Jr. callback. That was a show I wish had more seasons.

• Options
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I like the one that looks like there's a woman crawling about behind the pattern

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Does the wallpaper release arsenic, or is it like lead or asbestos - only dangerous if you rub it on you or eat it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Does the wallpaper release arsenic, or is it like lead or asbestos - only dangerous if you rub it on you or eat it.

“Kedzie argued (correctly, we now know) that arsenical wallpapers shed microscopic dust particles that can be inhaled or ingested. In the preface to Shadows, he warns that arsenic can kill not only by “sudden and violent destruction of life” but by slow, chronic poisoning, a mysterious and lingering illness that might baffle sufferer and physician alike. He wrote of women taking ill and withdrawing into their wallpapered bedrooms to recover, not knowing that all the while they were inhaling “an air loaded with the breath of death.””

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL