As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I heard Death looks like the Reaper in the game because Konami wouldn't pay likeness rights for Ian McKellen.
    Thats what Jack Slater told me, anyway.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I do look forwards to them bringing in Famine, Pestilence, and War one day.

H9f4bVe.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The first boss in Castlevania should have been the Wolfman instead of a giant bat. Ain't no giant bat Universal Monsters movie. They somewhat remedied this oversight with the wolf boss in Castlevania Bloodlines that takes place in the same spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8h0AtQVk4

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Nocturne cornered the market on using the Horsemen.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

John the Beloved cornered the market on using the Horsemen.

Fixed.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    One thing I thought was neat in Portrait of Ruin was how they brought back the old bosses for the rehash stages towards the end. The pyramid uses the Mummy, the dark academy uses the Creature, burnt paradise uses Medusa.

The one weird thing is that the 13th street uses the werewolf instead of the giant bat. Which is honestly fitting for the location (I mean, come on; it's literally a werewolf of london), but it kinda breaks from the idea of using the bosses of CV1.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I never did figure out why the Grim Reaper was in Castlevania. All of the bosses featured in movies (Clash of the Titans, Frankenstein, etc.) except Death. Would have made as much sense to have The Headless Horseman guarding Dracula's tower.
    198190bfda6e14aec77a2650567085df.jpg

Death is bound to the Crimson Stone, and whomever Controls the crimson stone controls Death. Currently the crimson stone is in the possession of one Mathias Cronqvist (aka Dracula) who used it to absorb the soul of the first known vampire, Walter Bernhard. Thus becoming a Vampire himself and the Dark Lord, Avatar of Chaos on earth. Death is not a natural force or the personification of natural death. he is a Chaos deity named Death because that's what happens whenever he is around.

Right, that's the in universe explanation, but none of that existed when they made the NES Castlevania.

This is like complaining that a tv show doesn't have fully developed characters when all you've seen is the pilot. Stuff happens all the time in entertainment that requires convoluted explanations later.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I never did figure out why the Grim Reaper was in Castlevania. All of the bosses featured in movies (Clash of the Titans, Frankenstein, etc.) except Death. Would have made as much sense to have The Headless Horseman guarding Dracula's tower.
    198190bfda6e14aec77a2650567085df.jpg

Death is bound to the Crimson Stone, and whomever Controls the crimson stone controls Death. Currently the crimson stone is in the possession of one Mathias Cronqvist (aka Dracula) who used it to absorb the soul of the first known vampire, Walter Bernhard. Thus becoming a Vampire himself and the Dark Lord, Avatar of Chaos on earth. Death is not a natural force or the personification of natural death. he is a Chaos deity named Death because that's what happens whenever he is around.

Right, that's the in universe explanation, but none of that existed when they made the NES Castlevania.

This is like complaining that a tv show doesn't have fully developed characters when all you've seen is the pilot. Stuff happens all the time in entertainment that requires convoluted explanations later.

I guess I should have been clearer. I like the in-universe explanation, I'm not complaining about it, I'm responding more to the idea that the explainer after the fact decades later explains why they put him into the game when they were first making it. The reason was almost certainly more "a personification of Death would be cool in this game", which is a just fine reason to have Death in any game, let's be honest.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Death is in Castlevania because he's a spooky robed skeleton who throws scythes at you, and that's pretty metal. All other reasoning is gilding the lily.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    There's a reason I like that a giant bat is the first boss in Castlevania. Back in the 80's, kids like me didn't know much about games. We didn't have the internet. Later there was Nintendo Power but most kids my age were going in blind. When you start Castlevania you see Simon at the gate of the castle. That's all you get before level 1 begins. You specifically aren't shown the map. You go through a few screens and then you're at the boss. An ignorant kid in the 80's might think that's Dracula. All things considered it's a pretty easy boss, but it's not a complete pushover either. A kid might beat the bat and excitedly think "I beat the game! I killed Dracula!". A lot of us back then were coming off Atari games. A lot of those games didn't have a lot of variety. It was all a high score challenge, playing the same game scenarios over and over again. A kid might assume Castlevania is a short game, or just about high scores. After all, the game takes time to calculate the score after you grab the crystal. But then the map scrolls in showing the future path through the castle. That kid who was full of assumptions would suddenly realize he didn't fight Dracula and it was only the tip of the iceberg. I really like that. I think there's less chance of that happening if the boss was a werewolf or something.

Yeah, these days new players probably know even an old game would be longer than that first level. My feelings are based on an assumption of how a new player would respond in the 80's, and it's quite possible no one had that experience. And yes, any kid who sees the attract mode should realize there's a lot more to the game than that first hallway. However, I like the idea that it could happen and I feel like the game was intentionally designed for that experience.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    One thing I thought was neat in Portrait of Ruin was how they brought back the old bosses for the rehash stages towards the end. The pyramid uses the Mummy, the dark academy uses the Creature, burnt paradise uses Medusa.

The one weird thing is that the 13th street uses the werewolf instead of the giant bat. Which is honestly fitting for the location (I mean, come on; it's literally a werewolf of london), but it kinda breaks from the idea of using the bosses of CV1.

Symphony did that too for the reverse castle I'm pretty sure. Medusa, Darkwing Bat (reminded me too much of the Disney Afternoon but), Death, The Creature, Mummies(wait was there a mummy?). The Castlevania 3 boss fight was pretty awesome too. Would be fine seeing more of those throwback fights in the games. If they made any games.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Yeah, SOTN had a mummy boss in the reverse castle, as Akmodan II.

Rondo of Blood also had a classic boss showcase. Shaft summons the giant bat, Medusa, Mummy, and Creature before fighting Richter directly.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I never played Rondo of Blood. I kept wanting to play the Dracula X one, but never got around to importing it or whatever. Is it in a collection on steam yet?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I never played Rondo of Blood. I kept wanting to play the Dracula X one, but never got around to importing it or whatever. Is it in a collection on steam yet?

Dracula X is part of the Castlevania Advance Collection on Steam, in fact!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Thank you! What an odd collection to add Dracula X to.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Rondo of Blood is definitely superior to Dracula X, but they're pretty different games in the end. They just share some of the same sprites.

Oh wait, I have it backwards right? Dracula x is the port of rondo that never came here? Is that one in a collection?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Oh wait, I have it backwards right? Dracula x is the port of rondo that never came here? Is that one in a collection?

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood was the game that originally did not come out in the west. It was released for the PC-Engine CD in 1993. Later on, it was remade as Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on PSP as a 2.5D game. This PSP game includes Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood as unlockables. The original version of Rondo of Blood was also released on Wii Virtual Console (which no longer exists, sadly). Then there's Castlevania Requiem for the PS4 which includes the original version of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, but not the Rondo of Blood 2.5D remake. Also, both versions of SotN are the retranslation which does not include the infamous "Die monster! You don't belong in this world" speech.

Castlevania: Dracula X was a Super Famicom/SNES game which used some sprites from Rondo of Blood. It came out in Japan and the US in 1995, and I believe in Europe as Vampire's Kiss a year later. This is the game available on the Castlevania Advance Collection.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    In fairness Dracula X is an alternate take on the same story of Rondo, even though the levels are quite different. They are definitely different games but share a bit more than just a few sprites.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    What's that well received indie MetroidVania that people were talking about recently? Not Infernax, but a different one.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    What's that well received indie MetroidVania that people were talking about recently? Not Infernax, but a different one.
    ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGScoeV5sqg

Notably, the Japanese names of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night start with the super title “ Akumajō Dracula X:”

That’s where the SNES game got the title Dracula X, and why the PSP collection of ROB and SOTN is called “Dracula X Chronicles”

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Salt and sacrifice, record of lodoss, blasphemous, axiom verge?

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Salt and sacrifice, record of lodoss, blasphemous, axiom verge?

Yeah, I was gonna say, there's like a half-dozen to a dozen recentish releases that fit that description, easy.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqNEPTPyqU

Not much of a teaser but... I guess we know where they're going next.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    WHEN???

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I still think a one-shot, 60-minute Simon Belmont movie is a missed opportunity to bridge the gap between Trevor and Richter. Oh well....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Looks like it's probably the same animation studio, that's good. They did an awesome job.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Looks like it's set in foggy London.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Be very curious how the feel of the show changes with a different writer. Especially since the first writer was very, very distinctive.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited June 2022
    So are they basically speedrunning past Rondo then?

No adorable kid Maria ramming a cat through a line of skeletons? :'(

main-qimg-f4f811d2b7ed583abfba6ef3e311ce62-lq

rahkeesh2000 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm convinced nobody actually gives a shit about Richter. He's just the defacto most popular Belmont solely because he was "The Belmont" in the most popular and memorable game of the entire series, where he wasn't even the main character to boot. :p

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Rondo is the first time we heard any Belmont speak.

Granted by "we" I mean Japan, but...

He also had the best intro cutscene to that point, and probably since.

What I'm saying is ya'll fucking missed out on the PCE-CD ROM ROM.

https://youtu.be/sME5_tyRbkg

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Rondo is the first time we heard any Belmont speak.

Granted by "we" I mean Japan, but...

He also had the best intro cutscene to that point, and probably since.

What I'm saying is ya'll fucking missed out on the PCE-CD ROM ROM.

https://youtu.be/sME5_tyRbkg

Why is Ryu in the Castlevania cinematic

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm convinced nobody actually gives a shit about Richter. He's just the defacto most popular Belmont solely because he was "The Belmont" in the most popular and memorable game of the entire series, where he wasn't even the main character to boot. :p

Besides character designs, none of the Belmonts have anything to distinguish from each other until dialogue becomes more frequent. Which is... specifically at Richter. So he's the first Belmont with any kind of detectable personality at all. Weird stand to take, based on the facts.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I still say they should have given us a season for Ecclesia.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

That's after the Belmonts lose the Vampire Killer, right? Gotta keep it chronological.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm just concerned about whether or not the new writer(s?) are up to par. Say what you want about Ellis, but damn he could write dialogue.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

That's after the Belmonts lose the Vampire Killer, right? Gotta keep it chronological.

Yeah, there's no Vampire Killer or Belmont around to kill the horrors of the night at that point.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm just concerned about whether or not the new writer(s?) are up to par. Say what you want about Ellis, but damn he could write dialogue.

I'm also wondering how they handle things given the ending of the previous Castlevania series.
    Death is well, dead, or out of comission. Dracula has a new lease on life, but so does his wife. If they fridge her just to go back to EvilDrac i will be beyond unamused.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891