As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Being AMAB does not imbue anyone with any inherent biological advantage over someone AFAB.

The recent uptick in transphobia, as ever, intersects with misogynoir as numerous African female athletes have been told that they cannot compete in various competitions without taking hormone suppressants because they "naturally produce too much testosterone"

Hold up, the best part of that is Semenya is only banned from certain distances- I think she’s banned from 400m up but fine for the sprint distances

She herself has pointed out the absurdity of the supposed justifications in the face of not being banned from all competition, just some events, but hypocrisy is no obstacle to those who lack a conscience.

Yeah reactionary thought is ultimately just reacting, taking a strong stance and then gussying it up with whatever thin rationalization makes sense to them in the moment. They are not computers which can recognize logical flaws.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Ehh point of order: It was neither feet or body shape that made Phelps who he is. Neither trait is unique to him. The swimmer with the feet was Ian Thorpe. A quick comparison to him and Phelps (Athens, men's 200 free final for a direct comparison) makes that very clear. The short legs/long torso is not an uncommon body type either, especially among swimmers. I personally have the same bodytype and overly flexible ankles and yet only achieved times that Michael Phelps would refer to as "warmup".

Phelps genetic advantages are twofold: His cardiovascular system, reported to pump 20% more blood than even the "olympic average", and a close to wolverine-esque ability to recover from workouts (the NBAC program under Bob Bowman was notorious for athlete burnout due to workout volume/intensity). Its not hard to beat the rest of the world when you can train at 150% of your closest competitors' level in both intensity and volume. Or when you supply 20% more oxygen to your muscles.

Point still stands about the "biological advantage" in general though: its gooseshit.

Additionally: the ahtlete who kicked off the latest transpanic in sports by winning the NCAA women's 500 free (in a non-record time to boot) went on to not win the 200 free and finished 8th in the 100 free (aka DFL, or Dead Fucking Last, in swimmer's terms). Thus putting yet few more nails in the "biological advantage" argument.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It all just makes me sad.

Just monsters in charge of state legislatures.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3460403-missouri-lawmakers-consider-extending-proposed-ban-on-gender-affirming-care-to-adults/

Things are accelerating so so quickly. Feels more and more like I am either going to need to learn how to make my own DIY estradiol, begin stockpiling more than I already have by ordering from overseas, or just leave the country after the midterms.

Compare / contrast:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1518268282238685184
    Gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe this isn’t about protecting children

Tweeter works for media matters but what you want are the pictures. Which is this same state refusing to ban child marriage.

Blue states will be fine post midterms legally speaking. Red states are going to see exactly how dickish the courts will let them be for votes.

So, 2004 midterms: Take 2.

And the usual shit heads are trying to encourage stocsstic terrorism because of course they are:

https://mobile.twitter.com/reclaimingtrans/status/1517638587713564672
    This is very, very bad. A bunch of right-wing people fired up by the grooming panic & conspiracy theories about gender ideology just discovered the existence of a map of clinics & doctors that help trans youth. I'm worried about where this could go.

Ky is a rando again important thing in the screenshot. Right wing dipshits have again found a list of informed consent clinics.

The last attempt to whip up a frenzy over this just got them banned and didn't accomplish much, so this time they're lying about what the clinics are, claiming every single one is a pediatric clinic.

1. No they aren't. Informed consent clinics don't cater to minors

2. Trans healthcare is not bad and is required starting at puberty get stuffed you assholes.

Not wanting to derail into broader politics, so I won’t be discussing anything not directly related after this post. That said, I don’t personally think the “Blue states will be fine” thing is likely to last past the end of 2024. Things are massively worse now from a basic small-d democracy stand point than they were in 2004, that makes it highly likely the federal government will be illegitimately taken over by the same kind yahoos passing all of these bills in red states. As far as red states between now and then, we can’t expect decent rulings from SCOTUS, and those states have already shown that they’ll just keep on violating judicial rulings they don’t like unless those are actually enforced (which the Biden administration’s pusillanimity prevents them from doing).

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I don't care what state is considered safe currently, this erosion of rights is going to reach every single one regardless of whether they're red or blue.

First as stochastic terrorism, then as state action.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This Twitter thread explains why the "biological advantage" argument is a load of gooseshit:

Short version: Many of the most successful athletes in the world are such because they have a biological trait that makes them much more adapted to the demands of the sport.

I will quibble only in that people have been joking that Phelps is a genetic freak grown in a US government lab for the purpose of winning swimming medals for years and years now. But you don't see people banning him from sports despite that obviously being true.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in unsurprising news, the New York Times posts a flattering portrait of a bigoted monster while claiming that they are "revealing" him:

This affectless article elevates and validates a sick, racist, homophobic son of a bitch without answering the only questions worth asking, chief among them what made him that way.

The author is a reporter, the linked article is an anodyne profile of bigot and right wing messaging architect Chris Rufo, who has been behind the "grooming" push.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    And in unsurprising news, the New York Times posts a flattering portrait of a bigoted monster while claiming that they are "revealing" him:

This affectless article elevates and validates a sick, racist, homophobic son of a bitch without answering the only questions worth asking, chief among them what made him that way.

The author is a reporter, the linked article is an anodyne profile of bigot and right wing messaging architect Chris Rufo, who has been behind the "grooming" push.

And is the architect of the CRT bullshit.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And to be clear, is on record specifically stating it was bullshit, but that it would be successful. Right from the start is was essentially "I made this shit up, but it'll be a winner for conservatives, so let's ride!".

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

And to be clear, is on record specifically stating it was bullshit, but that it would be successful. Right from the start is was essentially "I made this shit up, but it'll be a winner for conservatives, so let's ride!".

It was focus tested

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

This dude has probably read more CRT specific texts than people taking CRT focused classes in college. But he didn't read them to learn anything, and clearly didn't. He did it to carve out this sick little niche of racism in conservative circles and it totally paid off. And now he does interviews and tries to pretend he's very smart with phony big words and a knowing, smug look on his face and it drives me up the god damn wall.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

This dude has probably read more CRT specific texts than people taking CRT focused classes in college. But he didn't read them to learn anything, and clearly didn't. He did it to carve out this sick little niche of racism in conservative circles and it totally paid off. And now he does interviews and tries to pretend he's very smart with phony big words and a knowing, smug look on his face and it drives me up the god damn wall.

I guarantee you he didn't read any of the texts.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

I remember reading an early expose on him and it sure seemed like he did. But he probably duped me into believing that too.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    No when he’s had the chance to be an expert panelist with actual experts of CRT he has proven its all marketing

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

He probably did, so he could find things that would infuriate conservatives if taken out of context. (or even in context)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/29/politics/doj-challenge-alabama-law-transgender-health-care-minors/index.html

for youuuuu Alabama.
    The Justice Department on Friday challenged an Alabama law that makes it a felony for a doctor to administer gender-affirming health care to minors.
    "This lawsuit challenges a state statute that denies necessary medical care to children based solely on who they are," the department said in its complaint.

fuck youuuuu CNN for printing shit like this without qualifier
    Gina Maiola, communications director for Ivey, previously told CNN that the governor's office is "prepared to defend our values and this legislation" and Ivey has touted the law as a campaign accomplishment.
    In a tweet on Friday, Ivey said, "Some things are just facts: summer is hot, the ocean is big and gender is a question of biology, not identity."

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/29/politics/doj-challenge-alabama-law-transgender-health-care-minors/index.html

for youuuuu Alabama.
    The Justice Department on Friday challenged an Alabama law that makes it a felony for a doctor to administer gender-affirming health care to minors.
    "This lawsuit challenges a state statute that denies necessary medical care to children based solely on who they are," the department said in its complaint.

Gina Maiola, communications director for Ivey, previously told CNN that the governor's office is "prepared to defend our values and this legislation" and Ivey has touted the law as a campaign accomplishment.
    In a tweet on Friday, Ivey said, "Some things are just facts: summer is hot, the ocean is big and gender is a question of biology, not identity."

I rather hope their argument is that "gender is a biological question" because it basically concedes the lawsuit entirely.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

for youuuuu Alabama.

"Some things are just facts: summer is hot, the ocean is big and gender is a question of biology, not identity."

Only one of those things is true (the ocean is big). I think most of us here agree he's wrong on the gender thing, and I've had more than one summer of 10 C (50 F) weather.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

for youuuuu Alabama.

I rather hope their argument is that "gender is a biological question" because it basically concedes the lawsuit entirely.

Like they need a legal argument given the state of the courts.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

for youuuuu Alabama.

"Some things are just facts: summer is hot, the ocean is big and gender is a question of biology, not identity."

Only one of those things is true (the ocean is big). I think most of us here agree he's wrong on the gender thing, and I've had more than one summer of 10 C (50 F) weather.

Shit, the ocean being big is also an opinion given the emphasis on it's size changes depending on what you compare it to. Sure it's big to a human, but compared to the Sun? Tiny.

• Options

for youuuuu Alabama.

Shit, the ocean being big is also an opinion given the emphasis on it's size changes depending on what you compare it to. Sure it's big to a human, but compared to the Sun? Tiny.

It's size also fluctuates depending on atmospheric carbon. We're about to make it two ~polar ice caps larger

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

for youuuuu Alabama.

You may think it's a long way to the chemist down the road, but that's just peanuts to space.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    There are three facts we can all agree on: beer is awesome, folk music sucks, and no one knows what the fuck the word “fact” means.

• Options
    https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-texas-california-foster-care-scott-wiener-b17a53196d54c7929d3c340b1bf3410c

19 states are proposing laws preventing anti LGBT laws in other states from hurting kids in theirs. If a bigot parent moves to Texas and gets a court order granting custody for "child abuse" these states would ignore it.

Remains to be seen how many of these will pass but it's a good idea with broader support than I expected.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-texas-california-foster-care-scott-wiener-b17a53196d54c7929d3c340b1bf3410c

19 states are proposing laws preventing anti LGBT laws in other states from hurting kids in theirs. If a bigot parent moves to Texas and gets a court order granting custody for "child abuse" these states would ignore it.

Remains to be seen how many of these will pass but it's a good idea with broader support than I expected.

so much for full faith and credit....

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

So I'm not the only one who gets the feeling we're speed running the years before the civil war?

Wonder when we get our Dread Scott decision.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

So I'm not the only one who gets the feeling we're speed running the years before the civil war?

I have bad news for you...

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options

That is arguably be more comparable to Plessy than to Dredd Scott. Whether or not women are viewed as people with equal rights will be determined by which State you're in, rather than placing women wholly outside the bonds of protection of the Constitution nationally. If a national abortion ban is subsequently passed and upheld, then that case will be the modern Dredd Scott.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

That is arguably be more comparable to Plessy than to Dredd Scott. Whether or not women are viewed as people with equal rights will be determined by which State you're in, rather than placing women wholly outside the bonds of protection of the Constitution nationally. If a national abortion ban is subsequently passed and upheld, then that case will be the modern Dredd Scott.

And you don't think with a conservative majority supreme court and - potential - control of both houses of congress they aren't going to immediately seek exactly that?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

And you don't think with a conservative majority supreme court and - potential - control of both houses of congress they aren't going to immediately seek exactly that?

Of course they are. Which is why I said what I did in my post that you quoted.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

And considering Alito already gave the game away, I have a feeling things are going to get a lot worse before they get better

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

And considering Alito already gave the game away, I have a feeling things are going to get a lot worse before they get better

That's an optimistic take: you think things will eventually get better

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

History didn't end in the 90s with a win and it doesn't end here win or lose.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

History didn't end in the 90s with a win and it doesn't end here win or lose.

I mean, sure. Eventually we hit the heat death of the universe.

I'm not going to speak for Expletive, but there's a very good chance, if not a certainty, that some young girls (perhaps some who haven't even been born yet) who will have their entirety of their child-bearing years governed by this ruling, if not the generation following. For those girls become women, it really won't get better.

Doesn't mean it's not a reason to fight. Need to fight, so that those who come after, don't have to deal with this shit, much as the women who did so prior to Roe did.

But there's no hiding the fact that it's going to be a long fight, measured in decades at least. The Republicans have put their foot on the throat of democracy itself, and they're going to keep pressing down.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    This shit is so toxic, even Trump judges are like... yo, pump the brakes, you lunatics.
    (Slate)

A Trump judge just BLOCKED most of Alabama’s new law criminalizing gender-affirming health care for minors, holding that the ban on puberty blockers and hormone therapy likely violates the constitutional rights of both parents and children.

The court rejects Alabama’s assertion that gender-affirming care for minors is experimental and dangerous, instead deeming them “well-established, evidence-based treatments” whose prohibition violates parents’ constitutional right to direct their children’s medical care.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    This shit is so toxic, even Trump judges are like... yo, pump the brakes, you lunatics.
    (Slate)

A Trump judge just BLOCKED most of Alabama’s new law criminalizing gender-affirming health care for minors, holding that the ban on puberty blockers and hormone therapy likely violates the constitutional rights of both parents and children.

The court rejects Alabama’s assertion that gender-affirming care for minors is experimental and dangerous, instead deeming them “well-established, evidence-based treatments” whose prohibition violates parents’ constitutional right to direct their children’s medical care.

Oh this is actually a super interesting development from my perspective. This appears to be putting the concept that parents get complete authority over everything that happens to their children against transphobic bigotry. Two shitty conservative ideals having to battle it out in the court of law. I don't know which one will win.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    (Slate)

Oh this is actually a super interesting development from my perspective. This appears to be putting the concept that parents get complete authority over everything that happens to their children against transphobic bigotry. Two shitty conservative ideals having to battle it out in the court of law. I don't know which one will win.
    Probably the former. Conservatives deep down don’t want anyone to tell them how to raise their kids. And are kind of assholes about it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    (Slate)

Probably the former. Conservatives deep down don’t want anyone to tell them how to raise their kids. And are kind of assholes about it.

Also, if the state can tell them how to treat their children, they probably can also dictate, say, education.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Fortunately conservatives have the power of massive hypocrisy. So they can simultaneously hold the principle “no-one should be able to tell parents what medical decisions they should make for their kids” and “parents should not be allowed to permit their kids to have gender-affirming healthcare.”

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Fortunately conservatives have the power of massive hypocrisy. So they can simultaneously hold the principle “no-one should be able to tell parents what medical decisions they should make for their kids” and “parents should not be allowed to permit their kids to have gender-affirming healthcare.”

no one should tell us how to raise our children.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.