As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Ainge still built a very competent core in Boston and maybe having not built the one in Utah he'll be less resistant to trades. He did execute the Kyrie trade and signing Hayward. Kyrie being a goof and Hayward having a freak injury isn't all his fault.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    He also made the Tatum for Fultz pick trade, which was pretty bold, and obvs a huge win.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    R-dem wrote: »
    I forgot about this thread!

The Jazz have been some drama this season. Everyone* had title aspirations for them, and frankly they just never lived up to the hype. There were rumors all season long that Gobert and Mitchell didn't get along. Now, after the Mavs embarrassed the crap out of them, they hustled locker room clean out and exit player interviews the same night (shafting the media out of a lot of their time), Quin Snyder bailed on interviews and reportedly hadn"t decided whether to try for an extension with the team or not, and Danny Ainge sent the poor team GM out to take the heat and do damage control.

Now this pops up:
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/rumor-rudy-gobert-to-tell-jazz-to-trade-him-or-donovan-mitchell/

TL, DR: O'C says he's got a source that Gobert will demand a "him or me" trade from the Jazz re: him and Mitchell.

It's popcorn season in Utah!

*Utah Jazz homers on local news/radio are hilarious and were heavily pushing a Finals appearance narrative this year despite no indication that the Jazz had worked out any of their issues.

The best part is Danny Ainge is the last guy you want running a team that needs to actually execute a trade and not just hype up the possibility of doin a trade

As a Mavs fan I was mystified that they didn't try to abuse our complete lack of size. Is Rudy that bad, coaching that bad, or teammates that bad?

Honestly I think it's a little of a lot of things and one big huge thing. Rudy has a unique game and a huge ego. Snyder has trouble adapting his game plans when other coaches change theirs. Mitchell goes cold when too much pressure is put on him. Finally, when Ingles tore his ACL and got traded it gutted the heart of the team. He was immensely popular in the fan base and locker room. More than anything I think that just kinda shot them down for the season. It's just not a team. It's a collection of dudes gettin' paid.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

I was really hoping he would tank the Lakers, but anything to get him off of calling games is good with me.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mama there goes that

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah giving Mark Jackson a coaching job is great for the league because it gets him off the air.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah giving Mark Jackson a coaching job is great for the league because it gets him off the air.

And its the kings like would anyone really care?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Luka playing out of his mind but hero ball won't be enough

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    The Kings can do worse than Jackson but it won't matter because they are the Cleveland Browns of the NBA. They are forever cursed by incompetent ownership.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The Kings can do worse than Jackson but it won't matter because they are the Cleveland Browns of the NBA. They are forever cursed by incompetent ownership.

Honestly, I feel like Mark Jackson deserves another chance. I believe he did have an important part in turning around the culture and play of the Warriors. Obviously, he had great personnel to help him do it, but I think he had a hand in it as well. He relies heavily on religion and motivational speeches to drive his points, but at this point, the Kings should try anything.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575

The Jazz have been some drama this season. Everyone* had title aspirations for them, and frankly they just never lived up to the hype. There were rumors all season long that Gobert and Mitchell didn't get along. Now, after the Mavs embarrassed the crap out of them, they hustled locker room clean out and exit player interviews the same night (shafting the media out of a lot of their time), Quin Snyder bailed on interviews and reportedly hadn"t decided whether to try for an extension with the team or not, and Danny Ainge sent the poor team GM out to take the heat and do damage control.

Now this pops up:
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/rumor-rudy-gobert-to-tell-jazz-to-trade-him-or-donovan-mitchell/

TL, DR: O'C says he's got a source that Gobert will demand a "him or me" trade from the Jazz re: him and Mitchell.

*Utah Jazz homers on local news/radio are hilarious and were heavily pushing a Finals appearance narrative this year despite no indication that the Jazz had worked out any of their issues.

The best part is Danny Ainge is the last guy you want running a team that needs to actually execute a trade and not just hype up the possibility of doin a trade

As a Mavs fan I was mystified that they didn't try to abuse our complete lack of size. Is Rudy that bad, coaching that bad, or teammates that bad?

Honestly I think it's a little of a lot of things and one big huge thing. Rudy has a unique game and a huge ego. Snyder has trouble adapting his game plans when other coaches change theirs. Mitchell goes cold when too much pressure is put on him. Finally, when Ingles tore his ACL and got traded it gutted the heart of the team. He was immensely popular in the fan base and locker room. More than anything I think that just kinda shot them down for the season. It's just not a team. It's a collection of dudes gettin' paid.

Well and didn't this whole rift between them (Donovan and Rudy) start with Rudy's COVID press conference where he rubbed the mic and table? Then his case of COVID ended up getting the NBA season suspended in 2020.

TelMarine wrote: »

Honestly, I feel like Mark Jackson deserves another chance. I believe he did have an important part in turning around the culture and play of the Warriors. Obviously, he had great personnel to help him do it, but I think he had a hand in it as well. He relies heavily on religion and motivational speeches to drive his points, but at this point, the Kings should try anything.

Dude still goes out on street corners yelling at people for being sinners. No thanks.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

i mean, they should try having owners who aren't absolute shit, but since that'll never happen it won't really matter what they do.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

i mean, they should try having owners who aren't absolute shit, but since that'll never happen it won't really matter what they do.

Yeah, good luck with that

Yeah, Mark Jackson is probably not more horrible than most coaches, we just get to know him as the most sanctimonious, high horse kind of annoying old man as announcer, so we will tend to not like him. Not to mention the overbearing bible thumping. It wouldn't be fair to say that any coach could have succeeded with the Warriors though.

The promotion of Draymond was obviously huge, but their style changed immensely as well. In going from Jackson to Kerr, the Warriors went from last in the league to first in the league in passes per game overnight. That's not to say that they improved that way, per se, just a pretty strong indicator of a large stylistic change.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Luka playing out of his mind but hero ball won't be enough

I don't see how the Suns lose this series. They just have too much size. Feels like its going to be a rehash of last 2 years of Clippers, where Luka is the only player that can do much of anything.

burbo wrote: »
    Yeah, Mark Jackson is probably not more horrible than most coaches, we just get to know him as the most sanctimonious, high horse kind of annoying old man as announcer, so we will tend to not like him. Not to mention the overbearing bible thumping. It wouldn't be fair to say that any coach could have succeeded with the Warriors though.

The promotion of Draymond was obviously huge, but their style changed immensely as well. In going from Jackson to Kerr, the Warriors went from last in the league to first in the league in passes per game overnight. That's not to say that they improved that way, per se, just a pretty strong indicator of a large stylistic change.

Even the Warriors best players have to be part of a system to perform to their best and Jackson isn't a system guy.

Though this was less true when they had Durant who doesn't really do systems.

Even the Warriors best players have to be part of a system to perform to their best and Jackson isn't a system guy.

Though this was less true when they had Durant who doesn't really do systems.

From a personnel perspective, the team that Jackson coached was almost entirely unchanged between his tenure and Kerr's, and Kerr took that team from a first-round playoff exit to a championship. If you consider that marginal wins are harder to get the better your team is, then the jump between Jackson and Kerr was massive. They went from 51-31 to 67-15. That's a 16-game swing at the end of the curve - the more games you win the harder those games become to win because you've already won all the games against weak/average teams. So the only games left to win are against the good teams.

If you watched the Warriors during Jackson's tenure and then compared to how they played in Kerr's first year, the contrast made it very clear that Jackson was just riding his talent to win games. To be fair, he should get credit for building a defense-oriented team culture. But even there, playing hard-nosed defense is not the same thing as implementing coherent strategies on both ends of the floor.

This also doesn't even bring into account the fact that Jackson was criminally misusing his roster in terms of starters and positions. Or that he was freezing out his own management. Or that he actively shit on his own players and created team divisions for incredibly dubious reasons (e.g., religion).

I don't think Mark Jackson is a good coach. I think at best he's an average coach. If your goal is to win NBA championships there's no point in hiring him, because he has a proven track record of not being able to make or even identify the changes needed to move from average to championship-caliber.

The only thing I can think of that might justify his hiring is if they are treating him as an interim coach to "reset team culture" until they are able to hire someone who can take them to the next level. But even there, I think they are playing with fire because there's just as good of a chance that he creates toxicity rather than a good foundation. In fact, based on past reports I think that's more likely than not, because not every team is going to have a Steph Curry at the to set the tone.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular

Now this pops up:

Well and didn't this whole rift between them (Donovan and Rudy) start with Rudy's COVID press conference where he rubbed the mic and table? Then his case of COVID ended up getting the NBA season suspended in 2020.

Rudy basically said "another day, another rumor" about the latest stuff, which is more or less how those two have handled all of it since the COVID fiasco-they obviously don't really like each other and don't have any chemistry, but they usually try not to play to the leaks/rumors.

3 min in we have Dillon Brooks ejected with a flagrant 2 and Draymond getting an elbow to the face on the subsequent play

Now who's dirty

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    The best argument for Jackson vs Kerr is that Luke Walton, of all people, went like 41-3 with Kerr's roster. Luke Walton! Hes terrible!

Dillon Brooks is dirty as fuck. That was an atrocious play, and he should.be suspended.

Ill give Tillman the benefit of the doubt tho.

Chuck and Shaq saying it wasnt a dirrt playn "its then playoff, no layups". So fucking stupid. I hate that old man toxic masculinity bullshit. The fucking guy was injured, and that was the most likely result of that play. Fuck that shit!

And worst of all, now they got me raging on behalf of the bloodsucking Warriors! Despicable!

Dray deserves an apology
    From everybody
    Someone give him a Nobel peace prize

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Tied with the Warriors shooting absolutely awful from 3

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Is Ja in the concussion protocol? Came down the floor shaking his head and saying he couldn't see, didn't look like they treated his eyes and he's still on the bench

Tied with the Warriors shooting absolutely awful from 3

Yeah, this is honestly the underrated quality to the the Kerr area Warrior teams. Of course the death lineups and the big 3rd quarter runs get all the attention, but those teams are damned resilient. At their best, they play a beautiful game, but they can win ugly toom and they are always a threat to come back. Last time played the Blazers in the playoffs, Portland was up by mid double digits in 3 games and they lost in a sweep.

And thats all the nice things i can say about the Warriors for one night.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Is Ja in the concussion protocol? Came down the floor shaking his head and saying he couldn't see, didn't look like they treated his eyes and he's still on the bench

Nevermind, they showed the eye drops coming back from break

This series feels like the 2013(?) GSW vs Spurs series. Supremely talented up and comers who need just a bit more seasoning against the resilient and savvy vets who have a run or two left in them. Probably the same result too.

They keep focusing on this blonde lady in the crowd. Ive seen this a few times, at some point, did the networks decide they need a fan protagonist for us to identify with?

I'll also say one more thing that you rarely hear, that game was well reffed. I barely thought about the refs the whole time.

This series feels like the 2013(?) GSW vs Spurs series. Supremely talented up and comers who need just a bit more seasoning against the resilient and savvy vets who have a run or two left in them. Probably the same result too.

Interesting comparison. That series, the Warriors could've gone up 2-0 on the Spurs playing on the road, but that game 1 they blew a 16 pt lead in the last 4 min.

Man, even with 18 TOs and 7/38 from 3, Warriors still had a chance. Ja goes for 47 and the Grizzlies barely won.

Gary Payton II has a fractured elbow. Big loss for the Warriors.

should suspend brooks for 4 games for that bullshit

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    They keep focusing on this blonde lady in the crowd. Ive seen this a few times, at some point, did the networks decide they need a fan protagonist for us to identify with?

I wondered the exact same thing!

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    should suspend brooks for 4 games for that bullshit

If the Dubs were still on the "OAKTOWN" side, Brooks would need a bodybag upon visiting that part of the Bay.

He needs to be gone for the series.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Dray deserves an apology
    From everybody

They're both dirty. Now we see how hitting a guy in the face can lead to injuries depending on how lucky you get. Not defending Dillon Brooks at all -- it's super dirty and he broke a guy's arm. Draymond's was super dirty and could have, but just didn't because of dice rolls.

edited May 2022
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Dray deserves an apology
    From everybody

They're both dirty. Now we see how hitting a guy in the face can lead to injuries depending on how lucky you get. Not defending Dillon Brooks at all -- it's super dirty and he broke a guy's arm. Draymond's was super dirty and could have, but just didn't because of dice rolls.

Nah dray had the wherewithal to cradle him to the ground gently preventing any injury, if anything likely healing him in the process

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!