As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Scott Morrison warns overly powerful Icac could turn Australia into ‘public autocracy’

These fuckers all know their political careers are done once the lights go on. How many politicians in NSW suddenly resigned when they got asked lightweight questions about gifts and donations? If we spend the next decade fumigating Parliament house, it'll time well spent.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The term public autocracy sounds an awful lot like it just means democracy

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If the public is the autocrat in this example that sounds exactly like what we want

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'll take tyranny of the masses vs tyranny of you and your mates any day, Scomo.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Dictatorship of the proletariat, you say?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It really does come across as a "I will not be judged by my lessers!" shit.

I mean, we see it all the time in the UK (see BoJo and the parties), but I honestly thought for the most part we'd moved beyond aristocracy of position, and it was more just about direct greed.

I was clearly wrong.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Imagine being afraid of being held accountable by the people who voted for you. Oh noes!

Also in NZ news, Winston Peters did have his trespass notice revoked. So he is free to come talk to utter wankers on Parliament Grounds as much as he wants.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    MorganV wrote: »
    It really does come across as a "I will not be judged by my lessers!" shit.

I mean, we see it all the time in the UK (see BoJo and the parties), but I honestly thought for the most part we'd moved beyond aristocracy of position, and it was more just about direct greed.

I was clearly wrong.
    well the aristocracy side of things makes the greed side of things much easier.
    especially if noone can hold you to account.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The media continually trying to score cheap points for soundbites makes them look stupider than the people they're trying to frame as idiots.

Grow up kids.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I do not expect the potential PM to know all the figures off the top of his head, I do expect they know the person to get that info from at any time.

The media salivating over this is a joke

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Isn’t this one of the reasons they have a Cabinet and don’t just do everything themselves?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have to wonder what effect the SCOTUS situation is going to have on our campaigns down here.

Abortion was only legalised in Aotearoa New Zealand 2 years ago. With Chris Luxon (the current poor hating National Party leader) voting against it.

There's an idealistic part of my brain that hopes that the NZ electorate will look in horror at what is going on in the States and will run vehemently the other direction.

edited May 2022
    I have to wonder what effect the SCOTUS situation is going to have on our campaigns down here.

Abortion was only legalised in Aotearoa New Zealand 2 years ago. With Chris Luxon (the current poor hating National Party leader) voting against it.

There's an idealistic part of my brain that hopes that the NZ electorate will look in horror at what is going on in the States and will run vehemently the other direction.

Abortion in New Zealand wasn't illegal before 2 years ago, what was changed was the requirements for a woman to have two doctors sign off that the procedure was needed from a physical health or mental health point of view. It was only allowed post 20 weeks if there was a direct threat to the woman's life. This was not insurmountable in many cases, but was changed to not requiring any doctor to say you could do it before 20 weeks and only a single doctor now needs to agree that it's clinically appropriate to get it post-20 weeks. While the vote was fairly close in Parliament, it was still a good majority and there isn't the same religious impetus/strength here to change it that there is in the US. Worth noting I think it was a conscience vote and some of the no's were not inherently opposed to abortion, but just wanted the subject taken to a referendum which is in fact a bit of a deliberate delaying tactic. As of 2021, 74% of NZers think a woman has the right to choose, so it's unlikely this is going to be the same kind of situation as the US in future. Same with Gay Marriage, it was overwhelmingly voted for here in NZ and is unlikely to ever change. We also banned gay conversion therapy recently too!

Aegeri on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ok sure, fine with the actual facts and things.

can I take a moment to just throw some shade on Luxon and really really hope that he gets burned by association?

I would honestly be surprised if it even comes up here in NZ. It's pretty much widely considered a settled issue, even before the vote, so I doubt they would even bother mentioning it. Anti-abortion is not a stance National would bother running in NZ as it gets them basically nowhere, I think. I might be wrong, but we're not a particularly religious country with almost half of NZ identifying as having no religion just by itself and so I can't see this kind of sentiment gaining basically any traction here. Nobody is going to worry about a settled question unless Luxon is fucking dumb enough to somehow bring it up into the national discourse on the topic.

Now he could be that dumb....

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I would still be on guard, because all this anti-Vax bs has shown how unfortunately willing some people are to just copy-paste brain-rot in from America.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I would honestly be surprised if it even comes up here in NZ. It's pretty much widely considered a settled issue, even before the vote, so I doubt they would even bother mentioning it. Anti-abortion is not a stance National would bother running in NZ as it gets them basically nowhere, I think. I might be wrong, but we're not a particularly religious country with almost half of NZ identifying as having no religion just by itself and so I can't see this kind of sentiment gaining basically any traction here. Nobody is going to worry about a settled question unless Luxon is fucking dumb enough to somehow bring it up into the national discourse on the topic.

Now he could be that dumb....

He's actively tried to avoid letting it become a topic because he's aware that his opinion isn't going to be popular. This was from December: https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/full-interview-with-jenna-lynch-christopher-luxon-believes-abortion-is-tantamount-to-murder/ar-AARkncR
    "I'm a pro-life person, you know," Luxon said.

When asked to confirm if abortion is tantamount to murder, he said: "That's what a pro-life position is."

He doesn't want to discuss it.

"There are bigger issues for New Zealanders to get focussed on."

It is a big issue for a lot of women.

Personally I think that even though the issue of abortion may be 'settled' in NZ, it's still relevant in that it's representative of how somebody views the rights of women and the role of religion (because let's be honest, for somebody like Luxon this is a religious issue) in determining legal rights. In the same way that Bridges voting against the conversion therapy bill speaks volumes about his opinion of young and vulnerable people in the LGBTQ+ community. Yes - it's a done deal and would not have been repealed had Bridges been elected PM, but I would still be hugely concerned that somebody holding those views was in a position of power and would have the potential to push similarly archaic and indefensible views in future votes on different but related issues.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    It is worth noting that, despite them being quite a small minority of NZ, National's board, and recent changes to leadership do have quite an Evangelical slant, so it may eventually become an issue they're willing to pursue. At this point, however, it looks more like they're attempting to avoid, at all costs, taking any concrete position aside from 'Labour is doing it wrong', and 'Tax Cuts (probably not for you, though)'

n57PM0C.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's Labour's election to lose so why interrupt your opponent when they're doing badly?

Being optimistic, a Labour loss in votes might not be so bad if there's also a shift in votes from Labour to Green. Creating a Labour/Green coalition without an NZF. But given that votes are mostly going to National... Eh, we'll see.

discrider wrote: »
    I would still be on guard, because all this anti-Vax bs has shown how unfortunately willing some people are to just copy-paste brain-rot in from America.

As an Australian/New Zealander, it's your First Amendment right to say whatever you want, and your Second Amendment right to defend yourself and your position!
    Yes, that's sarcasm. Yes, I've had to argue with Australians who claimed to have these rights guaranteed by these amendments. Several times, for each.

As an Australian/New Zealander, it's your First Amendment right to say whatever you want, and your Second Amendment right to defend yourself and your position!
    Yes, that's sarcasm. Yes, I've had to argue with Australians who claimed to have these rights guaranteed by these amendments. Several times, for each.

What got to me was the anti-mandate protests picking up steam at a time when our state governments were loosening restrictions.

It was just, you won. Go home.
    Utterly incomprehensible.

What got to me was the anti-mandate protests picking up steam at a time when our state governments were loosening restrictions.

It was just, you won. Go home.
    Utterly incomprehensible.

It makes sense when you realise all they really wanted was to be tantrum spewing toddlers, the subject was not as important as the impotent rage.

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    "They've cut my benefit, how can I protest if they've cut my benefit?"

ABC Radio telling me what I want to hear and saying Zed's in trouble.
    It would be a right shame if the Minister to the Pacific couldn't campaign effectively from the Solomon Islands.
    Or the other one really.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    A first in Australian media: fellatio in print.

He's gonna lose his seat so bad. It's hilarious.

...except that if he loses and the LNP lose, Morrison will likely resign and thus, Spud Dutton will ascend unchallenged. Which.... is not great.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Do youse reckon the ALP grasp that the future of Australian democracy rests in no small part in dismantling the nasty necro fascist media stranglehold?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Frydenberg has been going as far as not even being seen with Morrison on his campaign circuit, because Kooyong electorate fucking hates the guy.

Kinda hard to unravel how close you are to him when you're his treasurer though.

-Loki- on
    Biggest shock this election has been 2GB running anti-LNP ads.

Their listener base is basically all LNP demographics.

edited May 2022
    Tef wrote: »
    Do youse reckon the ALP grasp that the future of Australian democracy rests in no small part in dismantling the nasty necro fascist media stranglehold?
    they care about democracy?

edit: I originally thought you said LNP, the ALP "should" be painfully aware of what a hostile media can do when leveraged against them.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022
    He is fucking terrified.
    He's bought every literally billboard, got two page spreads in every paper, covered abandoned buildings with his posters, and now this:

The LNP is spending big to save Josh.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    Um

There appear to be no eye holes.

That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

it's on their backs.

Ah. I should have looked at their feet.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    You’ll note it doesn’t have a single word about what party he belongs to either.

He tried out some in a colour close to the teal that independents are using and got ethered for it.

I know someone here mentioned that Frydenberg losing means Dutton becomes the heir apparent, and while that's scary as shit, not sure how big a step down that'd be.

And while after Trump, I never want to be in favor of the opponent choosing the worst choice, Dutton is about as uncharismatic as they come.

For all his many faults, Scotty (with significant favorable media coverage) can at least come across as personable most of the time. Not sure Dutton can do that. He's Abbott, without the softness.

The reef is toast. Glad I saw it, sad my kids probably never will.

steam_sig.png
    I doubt I will get to see it :(

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The consulate opened for overseas voting this morning, so I went and done a democracy. Over to you folks!

steam_sig.png