As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dog-Eared

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Dog-Eared!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dog-Eared

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    What, not "Dogchatman"?

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Let me guess: All the dogs talk about are the misfortunes of capes.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    A specific dog, or every dog?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The twist is that Dogear has green eyes, so he can't see dogs; he just hears people talking to seemingly no one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    A specific dog, or every dog?
    All dogs. This is the newspost commentary from which Dogear originates.
    fhlf9d4ab3hk.png

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm more confused by the power... is he hearing all these dog-whispers being said at once? Is it like unfiltered telepathy, only worse? Does the dog have to understand the language being spoken to it?

So many questions...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Does it have to be said to the dog, or does the dog just need to hear it?

• Options
    SirBillSirBill Denver, CORegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I feel like Dogear has a major hidden boost that everyone is overlooking - he would also hear *every* "good dog" said which would provide a massive positivity boost. This dude would have calm and goodwill flowing from him like a river. That and all of the secrets as was mentioned in the prior discussion.

Now what I wonder is, does he have a natural enemy in "Cathole", the man (or woman) that can hear everything said to all cats?

Also since this derives from discussion attached to a previous comic, would this comic count as continuity?

SirBill on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    SirBill wrote: »
    I feel like Dogear has a major hidden boost that everyone is overlooking - he would also hear *every* "good dog" said which would provide a massive positivity boost. This dude would have calm and goodwill flowing from him like a river.

You forgot the "bad dog!" factor.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    If he actually develops the skill to filter through the noise, he's basically got an amped up version of Batman's sonar device from TDK. Morgan Freeman does not approve of this superhero.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I feel like the "good dog!" outweighs the bad significantly enough that it can be disregarded.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Imagine he spends like 3 days straight monitoring what the mad scientist villain is doing so he can stop his doomsday device, but it's just nothing but "oh my goodness, who's a fluffy boy? Whos a fluffy fluffy boy?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't think the Canid Crusader would have the same relationship with Cat Woman.

[Turns out he was biting her

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The "Feeling Nostalgic?" sidebar feature turned up this classic today, which seems particularly appropriate.

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    That would be a incredibly great comic and I want to read it.
    I'm more confused by the power... is he hearing all these dog-whispers being said at once? Is it like unfiltered telepathy, only worse? Does the dog have to understand the language being spoken to it?

So many questions...

It says he "can" ear everything said to dog, so i suppose he willingly choose when he wants to ear what.
    Though I can imagine a origin episode where he just awakened to his powers, having yet to learn to control them, and is overwhelmed by the many voices of people speaking to their dogs.
    I'm really curious about the language thing though.
    For the language thing, from how I understand it, he ear what's directly said to the dog, not the dog's understanding of it. So I guess it doesn't matter if the dog understand, but he himself would have to be able to understand the language (So he wouldn't understand what that yakuza boss is saying to his trusted Akita dog if he doesn't learn Japanese first).