As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A GST thread to the Danger Zone [Aerial Combat]

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure, an exception or two aside, none of us will ever get our own plane. Much less a badass demilitarized fighter.

I knew I a guy who owned a demilitarized Su-17 Fritter and it was certainly one of those 'best day is the one you buy it and one you sell it' things.

But from the Ukraine thread, you can now own a part of a front line Russian fighter-bomber. Care of Ukranian fund raisers.
    https://www.dronesforukraine.fund/

Legit or not, that is some master-class trolling right there.

6267d4797488f515864d1f3d_keychain2-p-800.png

When life gives you Sukhois, make keychains

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Probably about as a legit as that shard of the True Cross on the Moskava, but still funny.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I hope any money from that is legit going to Ukraine.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Does it make sense to buy Chinooks as heavy transport helicopters? Isn't that general design at least 60 years old, even if it got upgraded?

Asking because my government just decided to buy 60 of them.

honovere wrote: »
    Does it make sense to buy Chinooks as heavy transport helicopters? Isn't that general design at least 60 years old, even if it got upgraded?

Yes, it's a good choice if you need reliable heavy transport helicopters. It's that, Sea Stallion, or if you belong to the Soviet ecosystem the Halo. France has the Super Frelon but I dunno much about it.

The age is kinda irrelevant as they have been upgraded and redesigned enough it's a Ship of Theseus situation where everything is either dead simple and proven reliable with no reason to change it, or as good as anything you would get in a less tested / proven clean sheet design.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

A Chinook is basically just a semi with a cockpit and a couple of rotors, it's a perfectly serviceable airframe for the job. There aren't a lot of newer designs for heavy-lift helicopters because there just isn't a need for anything better.

Like as a comparison the US is still flying a *lot* of C-130s and those went operational in 1956.

uH3IcEi.png
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Unlike a lot of "old" airframes, the Chinook is still being both actively updated as well as actively produced, which also means repair parts are being actively produced. I'd really only be concerned if your country bought a ton of REALLY old used ones.

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    OK guys, who is excited for TOP GUN to finally come out?

DANGER ZONE

• PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    The Chinook is also ridiculously fast for what it is, although it burns about 8000L of fuel an hour when loaded.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

DANGER ZONE

86 years later.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

DANGER ZONE

Just based on the trailers, I am expecting the sequel plot to be meat pilots must prove that drones have not made them obsolete. Given that the original movie influenced Macross Plus, the circle will be complete.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

DANGER ZONE

Just based on the trailers, I am expecting the sequel plot to be meat pilots must prove that drones have not made them obsolete. Given that the original movie influenced Macross Plus, the circle will be complete.

We already had that movie, sort of. It was called Stealth and it was.... not great.

From the trailers I'm guessing he is going up against a bunch of rogue Russians who killed / captured someone to prevent WW3 or some superweapon.

Although I wonder how much the past couple months hurt the premise of competent Russian forces challenging Maverick in combat.

Funny if they do rogue / splinter Russian bad guys when the real bad guys are mainstream Russia.

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing that the new Top Gun is decent but doesn't deliver the same level of quotable/mockable lines and the music is perhaps not as danger zoney.

edited May 2022
    Sitting in my list of jet fighter films:

Top Gun: F-14
    Black Eagle / R2B: F-15
    Iron Eagle I and II: F-16 (Guest starring F-4s as allied MiGs)
    Flight of the Intruder: A-6
    Firefox: "Super-scary-thought-controlled" MiG-31
    Executive Decision: F-117 (mocked up as a stealth transport)

Top Gun 2 seems F-18 centered.

Air Force One has some dogfighting in it, but it's not what I would call a fighter pilot film.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Executive Decision is another wrinkle in my brain when I consider that Leguizamo has been in SO MUCH STUFF

We don't talk about Bruno? Yeah, that's him as the Ding Chavez expy. And Mario, and Chef, and --

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

Air Force One has some dogfighting in it, but it's not what I would call a fighter pilot film.

I see a distinct lack of Stealth, a documentary about fighters from 2005.

Or Carrier Ops: The Film (subtitled The Final Countdown)

Orca on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Apparently people have gathered from the trailer and some on set photos:
    That the F14 will be in the movie, and dogfight an Su-57.

Exactly the kind of stupid I go to the movies for.

JusticeforPluto on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Funny if they do rogue / splinter Russian bad guys when the real bad guys are mainstream Russia.

I’m sure it was too late, but add in a couple short scenes and rogue Russian bad guys could become “rogue” Russian bad guys.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Sky Fighters features the Mirage 2000.

5gsowHm.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    no love for true lies and the vtol action

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Also A-6s, while awesome, are not fighters.

I like stealth as a guilty pleasure, but I left it off due to the planes being fictional.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I like stealth as a guilty pleasure, but I left it off due to the planes being fictional.

I feel so guilty liking that terrible terrible movie

but the planes are so pretty

And maximum buttrock.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Independence day has a bunch of f18 action.

And for neat fictional planes, there's Firefox.

Oh, and top gun but with helicopters and nic cage, also known as fire birds

honovere on
    The book plane Firefox is based on, was ironically based on the specs of the MiG-31 as a Russian wonder weapon it was rumored to be. But as many things Russian, it was mostly hype.

The mindlink plane idea shows up also in Macross.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I feel so guilty liking that terrible terrible movie

but the planes are so pretty
    I give Stealth credit for actually surprising me. You watch the trailer and it seems pretty obvious what the movies going to be. And it totally was not that.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Top Gun was great. I was looking for fast planes doing crazy shit and it payed off in spades, lol.

No f23 no sale

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    No f23 no sale

You mean 22? The YF-23 never made it past the prototype stage and the YF-22 was chosen.

And it would be kind of hard, given that Topgun is about US Navy pilots and the F22 is an Airforce plane. Can't even land on carriers.

Does the air force have an equivalent to fighter weapons school? I don't know if red flag does the same thing. Though you'd think that there'd be a dedicated aggressor force that all services could fly against. Made up of pilots from all services.

I know the USAF has dedicated agressor aircraft. IFA Kfir's (Which is apparently the F-21?), old trainers, F-5s, F-16's and even actual Soviet aircraft are used (first captured by the Israeli's, then ones supplied by Germany or other NATO allies post Cold War)

Looking it up the USAF has Red Flag, which is a long multi day exercise carried out multiple times a year. So, not a school but they do train.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The school is "USAF Weapons School" it's like a 5 month version of top gun, with classes and actual combat training stuff.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Aggressor squadrons get all the cool paint schemes too:

aggressor-f-15-eagles-and-f-16-fighting-falcons-fly-in-formation-the-jets-are-assigned-to-the-64th-and-65th-aggressor-squadrons-at-nellis-air-force-base-2008.jpg

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Does the air force have an equivalent to fighter weapons school? I don't know if red flag does the same thing. Though you'd think that there'd be a dedicated aggressor force that all services could fly against. Made up of pilots from all services.
    Air Force has USAF Weapons School. It’s a bit different though because Airforce mission is different.

I saw an IMAX documentary on it Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag. And it is an order is of magnitude larger than other weapons training. And sometimes has full nations worth of air power in the sky at once. The 21-1 red flag had 2400 participants.

zepherin on
    edited June 2022
    No f23 no sale

You mean 22? The YF-23 never made it past the prototype stage and the YF-22 was chosen.

And it would be kind of hard, given that Topgun is about US Navy pilots and the F22 is an Airforce plane. Can't even land on carriers.

Yes
    Movie spoiler
    hang man should've done his full heel turn and shown up in an f-22 to save Mavericks ass at the end
    Also is there any reason why that mission couldn't be flown with drones? Like can your typical Sam reach whatever a drones loiter altitude is

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Can we please mark spoilers for movies that just came out?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    No f23 no sale

Yes
    Movie spoiler
    hang man should've done his full heel turn and shown up in an f-22 to save Mavericks ass at the end
    Also is there any reason why that mission couldn't be flown with drones? Like can your typical Sam reach whatever a drones loiter altitude is
    There is a good reason
    <movie spoilers>
    Size of the ordinance. The Super Hornet can deploy a laser guided bomb or air to ground missile 4 times the size of a Reaper Drone.

zepherin on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SePDgxNtLw

I must say, this makes me happy. The F-15 has always been my favorite of its era. My grandfather used to work for Lockheed, and always had copies of Air Force magazine laying around. So I'd be reading about it all of the time, lol.