As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The service that’s not allowed on the iOS store brings back the game not allowed on the iOS store to iPhone/iPad users.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Damn that's kind of nuts.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think (?) we knew that was the plan, but it’d be nuts if it was announced this year that you could buy and play Xbox games without an Xbox or game pass.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I think (?) we knew that was the plan, but it’d be nuts if it was announced this year that you could buy and play Xbox games without an Xbox or game pass.

Or PC.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ugh I go to buy tiny Tina’s wonderlands and on the storefront it says “see Xbox x/s version” as one option, with buy as another. But when you click the see x s version button it takes you to an edition that says “not sold separately”, which is so fucking confusing because if it’s not sold separately just don’t have a seperate storefront page for the x/s version. Like I’m sitting here going, if I buy this version will it have the upgrade? And it’s just Jesus Christ, I’m pretty sure you get the upgrade just by buying any edition, but thanks to this superfluous store front page for the x/s version I’m not 100%

Prohass on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I just saw someone seriously try to explain why fallout isn’t anti capitalist or anti war and is politically neutral…it fucking amazes me that people can play through a 100 hour game and miss literally the entire point…

EspantaPajaro on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ok I think the X/S version of tiny Tina is called next level edition and it’s more expensive, bastards. Just do smart delivery you jerks

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I just saw someone seriously try to explain why fallout isn’t anti capitalist or anti war and is politically neutral…it fucking amazes me that people can play through a 100 hour game and miss literally the entire point…

Many people have a blond spot to satire.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Since we're talking about Fallout...for reasons, I would say that the franchise (at least since 3, since I really didn't have the patience to stick with 1 or 2 personally) has tried to implement satire about corporatism and very obviously that slice of postwar Americana.

I'm not sure if it's succeeded, but it's certainly tried.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    FO3 and beyond kind of gave up on the subtlety of the satire. But that's also when Bethesda took over.

It's been a long tome since I played FO1 but I recall many of its satirical bits were pretty broad and included a lot of callouts to the post-apocalyse genre in general.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    New Vegas was made by the 1/2 people and went right back into it and this is the game that was being discussed. It was never 100% of what the game was about but it was very clear what it’s themes were.

EspantaPajaro on
    It's possible that FO1 and FO2 were brilliant satires about right-wing fearmongering about a World War between American and China, that final nuclear showdown between Americana and scary Asian Communism.

But I really doubt it, seeing how everything I've read about the greater Fallout lore--which can be quite clever in some ways, in its deconstruction of Americana, as far as I can tell--suggests the original writers used a one page encyclopedia article as a primer to 20th century China, versus their own intimate first-hand experience of Cold War Americana. Granted, the nuclear war is just the window dressing, probably, so it's understandable they didn't really do the unnecessary research.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Which of PS1's "contemporaries" were better at drawing polygons? Infamously not the Saturn. The 3DO? The Jaguar? Maybe the Nuon? Yes you had some weird texture warping, but nothing in the home console space was able to push more polys till the N64 three years later, which learned the hard way how dead cartridge media was. Sony is primarily responsible for making 3D console gaming a success and facilitating the transition with easier development tools at a time when studios were struggling to abandon 2D art, and the original PS1 was the excellent hardware that made that possible.

Actually, yes, I was immediately thinking of the Nintendo 64, which had such obvious advantages in this area (and serious disadvantages in audio, texture, and other asset storage, since they couldn't leverage the CD-ROM). You can actually see this in comparatively early 3D games on Nintendo 64 games able to render larger 3D worlds--without the Playstation's trademark massive texture warping and shimmering.

It was a year and a half later, by the way, not three: the Nintendo 64 launched in June 1996, the Playstation in December 1994. If that's not "contemporary", then the Playstation 3 isn't with the Xbox 360 either.

(There's also the contemporary generation of 3D accelerator hardware, but given the costs involved, I'm reluctant to compare them. Still, as bleem! more than adequately demonstrated--a mid-range PC with a first-generation consumer 3D accelerator could effectively imitate a PS1; a higher-range PC could do the same, at quadruple the resolution, while the Playstation 1 was still being manufactured. But a mid-range PC was, what, twice the cost of a Playstation console or more?)

Year and a half is pretty huge in terms of graphics. In 1994 3dfx wasnt a thing, in 1996 3dfx revolutionized the market with voodoo. But yeah, the textures and polygons were cleaner, but that's with an additional year and a half graphics tech behind it.

What do you mean by larger worlds? This is the time Nintendo lost Final Fantasy forever onward exactly because their cartridge format couldnt fit the large worlds of FF yet to come.

Lilnoobs on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Some people are just less capable of making connecting that are obvious to the rest of us. My brother was a racist piece of shit in high school, but his favorite comic was X-Men, and he never seemed to understand that people like him were often the villain of those stories.

edited May 2022
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Which of PS1's "contemporaries" were better at drawing polygons? Infamously not the Saturn. The 3DO? The Jaguar? Maybe the Nuon? Yes you had some weird texture warping, but nothing in the home console space was able to push more polys till the N64 three years later, which learned the hard way how dead cartridge media was. Sony is primarily responsible for making 3D console gaming a success and facilitating the transition with easier development tools at a time when studios were struggling to abandon 2D art, and the original PS1 was the excellent hardware that made that possible.

Actually, yes, I was immediately thinking of the Nintendo 64, which had such obvious advantages in this area (and serious disadvantages in audio, texture, and other asset storage, since they couldn't leverage the CD-ROM). You can actually see this in comparatively early 3D games on Nintendo 64 games able to render larger 3D worlds--without the Playstation's trademark massive texture warping and shimmering.

It was a year and a half later, by the way, not three: the Nintendo 64 launched in June 1996, the Playstation in December 1994. If that's not "contemporary", then the Playstation 3 isn't with the Xbox 360 either.

(There's also the contemporary generation of 3D accelerator hardware, but given the costs involved, I'm reluctant to compare them. Still, as bleem! more than adequately demonstrated--a mid-range PC with a first-generation consumer 3D accelerator could effectively imitate a PS1; a higher-range PC could do the same, at quadruple the resolution, while the Playstation 1 was still being manufactured. But a mid-range PC was, what, twice the cost of a Playstation console or more?)

Year and a half is pretty huge in terms of graphics. In 1994 3dfx wasnt a thing, in 1996 3dfx revolutionized the market with voodoo. But yeah, the textures and polygons were cleaner, but that's with an additional year and a half graphics tech behind it.

What do you mean by larger worlds? This is the time Nintendo lost Final Fantasy forever onward exactly because their cartridge format couldnt fit the large worlds of FF yet to come.

So yes, Sony was behind (though as I noted, not by their own fault). And as in...larger in-game environments between loading screens, in other words, things you actually need to generate in 3D, unlike 2D Final Fantasy backdrops (that lead into much smaller battle arenas that are actually in 3D). Shadows of the Empire comes to mind: I can't think of a single Playstation game from 1996 that had a single in-game "instance", without loading screens, as large as the bigger levels in that game. They had better sound and textures, almost certainly, but a much smaller game world (that might be modeled in 2.5D rather than 3D).

It could certainly exist, I just don't remember it. Even Metal Gear Solid, coming out two years later, had smaller overall worlds between loading screens (that at least managed to be more complex and detailed).

Synthesis on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The PS1 limitations really show when you see what can be done with the games running on modern hardware. Clean lines, smooth textures, they actually look like I remember them looking not how they really were.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I guess "behind" is a strange term for me when you release first. SNES brought better colors, sound, controller, and mode 7 tricks versus the Genesis, but it did so 3 years later, after Sega had gone from nothing to a huge market share. So there can be a big price when you come late to the table with superior tech. I would rather say something like "below" because yeah, N64 definitely had superior 3D capabilities to the PS4 PS1, thanks to their partnership with Silicon Graphics, but it wasn't there at the start of 3D games going mainstream, when the Playstation blew the doors off everyone else.

CDs did make it tougher to have a seamless world with a variety of textures, but Soul Reaver did eventually pull it off by pioneering pre-loading the next area as you walked through corridors, a technique that's followed us through the last gen. Cart's instant loading would probably have been more of an advantage if it wasn't so expensive to make the decently sized ones, not just the storage but the RoI on dirt-cheap CDs was so much greater, which led many publishers to ignore the N64 until Nintendo offered them better deals. Lack of storage was also a huge challenge for ports and ambitious RPGs, which is speculated to have particularly hurt N64 in the Japanese market.

rahkeesh2000 on
    edited May 2022
    I guess "behind" is a strange term for me when you release first. SNES brought better colors, sound, controller, and mode 7 tricks versus the Genesis, but it did so 3 years later, after Sega had gone from nothing to a huge market share. So there can be a big price when you come late to the table with superior tech. I would rather say something like "below" because yeah, N64 definitely had superior 3D capabilities to the PS4, thanks to their partnership with Silicon Graphics, but it wasn't there at the start of 3D games going mainstream, when the Playstation blew the doors off everyone else.

It was addressing how Sony had to make due with potentially weaker tools, or weaker hardware, and what that meant for them (but still managed to forge a commanding lead). Also aside from the Nintendo 64 not being three years newer, I wasn't claiming it was ahead of the PS4 either. :lol:

Synthesis on
    Briefly putting aside the Nintendo 64 being more or less modern than a PS4, there's going to be an potentially convenient addition to the Xbox on PC UI.

xbox-controller-bar-preview-image-02.jpg

Basically, outside of a game, the guide button (or Win + G on your keyboard) will bring up this quickbar. Inside of a game, it'll bring up the usual Xbox UI (framerate and resource meters, friend list, achievement list, etc.). I can imagine this not working very well if it doesn't detect the game properly (or if it's running Windowed or something), but I can see this feature being popular otherwise.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Looks like services are down? Yup status screen finally changed looks like some cloud stuff is down and cant launch digital stuff.

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2022
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Looks like services are down? Yup status screen finally changed looks like some cloud stuff is down and cant launch digital stuff.

Looks like Cloud Gaming functionality is still down. Shame, I was going to try and get some Mass Effect Trilogy at work.

EDIT: Except I'm able to do so now, so...maybe restored?

Synthesis on
    The system was trying to protect you. Let it!

Honestly, the ME Trilogy has done great work reminding me why I did, however briefly, fall in love with the franchise. And complete quite a few things I missed in ME1 out of desperation to finish it (even back then it was a..rough game).

ME3 is still a mess in a few very specific ways, but I never finished the remaster playthrough, because I ended up going back to 2 just to finish the things to get the best possible ending. My current playthrough, that I'm wrapping up (I just finished the Reaper IFF recovery, that leaves Legion's existential sob story, the Collector Base, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Arrival), I finally managed to have Kelly Chambers over for dinner (even now I'm not sure what I did, but it was damn hard as a female Shepard to trigger it), so she'll appear in ME3. ME2 is my favorite title in the trilogy for pure writing chops, but having gone through it 3 times already in the remaster, I'm looking forward to ME3, finally seeing certain things I missed (Kirahae, Chambers, etc.), as well as DLC like Leviathan and Citadel that I never played in the original release.

If it wasn't already on Game Pass, I'd say I was getting a lot of game for my $40. :lol:

I need my elden ring! I went and mowed the lawn! I deserve it!

You trigger Chambers in your chambers by not being with anybody else and not telling Kelly you think she's gross or whatever.

If you want the best possible ending, do not do more than one mission after Reaper IFF. And save before going after the Base so you can be sure you select the right team leaders.

You trigger Chambers in your chambers by not being with anybody else and not telling Kelly you think she's gross or whatever.

If you want the best possible ending, do not do more than one mission after Reaper IFF. And save before going after the Base so you can be sure you select the right team leaders.

I've played ME2 coming on four times in this version alone, after all--I know how to save everybody. But I did multiple playthroughs were I as complimentary to Kelly, never romanced anyone else, and she still never invited herself in for dinner. It had to do with frequency and doing it before a certain point, apparently. *sigh*

I don't know. When I first played ME2 knowing that 'cheating' was possible I avoided everybody else and boom! There's Kelly and her awkward dancing.

I don't know. When I first played ME2 knowing that 'cheating' was possible I avoided everybody else and boom! There's Kelly and her awkward dancing.

I'm convinced it's harder for female Shepard, if only because people describe just stumbling into the dinner date with Kelly. Who knows.

I'm convinced it's harder for female Shepard, if only because people describe just stumbling into the dinner date with Kelly. Who knows.

I was femShep.

I was femShep.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong all those other times.

There were all kinds of signs in ME2 foreshadowing the misery in 3.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I was femShep.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong all those other times.

Besides a couple of missable conversations if you don't do them at very specific times with specific choices, what's most likely to unintentionally mess it up is starting a romance with anyone else. Even if you haven't locked in your partner choice. And you may not immediately realize a conversation option was the start of a character's romance path.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Long morning of yard work finally have some time to sit down and try to beat the next boss in Tunic
    2cuy5o76u8w3.png

Balls.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I've been playing a bunch of different games lately.

First off was Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion which was amusing until the port completely breaks at the end of the game. I'll come back for achievement completion when they put it back together, but I can't say it didn't ruin the experience because it really did. I highly recommend skipping this one until they succeed in fixing it, to have the best chance of enjoying it.

Next was Spiritfarer. They're going for kind of a farm game feel to this, in that you literally raise crops and livestock on the boat, with the gifts = building relationship thing as well, the main difference is that you're basically running a daycare/cruise ship/elderly care facility on the sea. The shallowness of the relationships with each character then build to a weirdly UBER personal finale for each character, I think it's a tad off in the way they've written it. The animation is VERY appealing and well done, but that also causes gameplay problems. They're SO proud of all the cute animations they've done, it becomes a waiting game. You can't cancel out of anything and various mechanics are much slower and unwieldier than they needed to be to facilitate the look. The fact that the start of every day when you sleep in your bunk is a fade in, a sloooow zoom in, followed by a yawn your character does before you are allowed to move, that all becomes annoying, fast. It is a super furry friendly game, which is sort of nice to see from an inclusion standpoint (that stuff isn't my bag, but it doesn't harm the game at all to me). I'm not sure if I'll try to finish this one or not, because the focus on bar filling + laid back pacing means it's a surprisingly long game to get through, but after playing it for a whole weekend, I didn't feel super accomplished for having done so.

The announcement that Remnant: From the Ashes is being removed from Gamepass on May 15 FINALLY convinced my group to try it (I'd been suggesting it since February...). I have mixed feelings. The aiming, movement, and gun feel is all pretty good. The menus are done better than a lot of more expensive games I've played (I am giving you the stinkeye Avengers and Outriders). However, the Souls influence has caused some very annoying stuff (which is the point I understand, but still). Every boss is loaded to the brim with never-ending adds. They don't trigger at certain health levels of the boss or as a result of certain conditions happening during the fight, they just show up all the time. Meaning every boss (at least so far) is a DPS race. Getting hit one time can often trigger a Three Stooges routine that results in a guaranteed kill you can't play your way out of. For example, maybe your guy gets staggered or thrown to the ground, so the boss tees off on your head before you regain character control. Or maybe the boss slaps you across the room directly into an exploding nuisance enemy that just spawned from offscreen, and that combination instantly kills you. Maybe you get a status effect triggered on you, which means you can't escape as well or take another hit while your character sluggishly applies a curative item. We haven't been able to play it with 3 people, for those familiar, does the balance dramatically shift with each player added, or will it be just much easier with 3 party members? I feel like we're enjoying it enough that we might end up buying it when it leaves Gamepass, but we're also one rage quit on a bad boss away from changing our minds on that. We're always on the lookout for fun online co-op games, so losing one of the more prominent ones without a good replacement is a PITA.

Last of the new stuff is Tunic. I was a bit worried about the Souls influence on this one as well (when a Souls fan says "not every game is for everyone, maybe you just don't like Souls games, you should play something else!" they neglect to consider that many of these tropes that I find mega annoying are spreading like rot through every game out there), but so far it's not been too bad. Unsurprisingly, it's VERY reminiscent of Death's Door, but with more of a focus on exploration and mysteries versus the more straightforward combat and puzzles in DD. As someone who tried Fez back in the day and bounced off completely after about 25 minutes of not being able to make any kind of progression in any sense of the word on any screen, this is MUCH more approachable than that. Yes, there's tons of signs you can't read and mystery equipment, but the function of a sword is pretty clear and signs right from the start point you in the correct direction to go and fetch one.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't know why you need to be constantly checked on Gamepass to see if you're online for offline games, shouldn't it be a 24 hour check or 12 hour at most? I'm trying to play Yakuza 5 it's not online GFY. Even turning the system to offline and it's all "whoa buddy, you got a license for that?"

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    When I lost internet connection I was still able to play the Yakuza games on Game Pass just fine, though I had taken my account back from being shared and my unit was my home unit again. If that’s not the case, you’ll definitely need to be online. If you haven’t played the game in a bit that could do it as well.

edited May 2022
    Its all of MS services. Cant open up store purchases either. Its been off and on since yesterday. Probably a part of the worldwide increase in DDOS etc.

Jubal77 on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Its all of MS services. Cant open up store purchases either. Its been off and on since yesterday. Probably a part of the worldwide increase in DDOS etc.

Yeah, I just got a “the person who purchased this game must be signed in” notification. I purchased it and was signed in.

Somehow I managed to open Edge by trying to manually end Zoo Tycoon and just now I could open the fuide panel. I'm done for the night anyway.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This has been two days now, at this point a minimum 5 buck microsoft credit would be the right thing. Game servers have issues all the time, that I can't even play the games I bought right now that aren't on gamepass is what's really pissing me off.