As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] The Crown of Charon - The Eviscerator

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sy

Sy yells out to the others, "Hey, there's a skull over here that seems to be sealed if anyone has any ideas on opening it? Also a mud portal, but...." he looks the churning mud up and down, "I'm certainly not entering it. I just bought these clothes."

Edit: Actually, even if it didn't I don't think I have the tools to deal with this, so I'll pass it off anyways with some free action speaking. @kime you're up.

Did that burn my action for this turn?

I'm assuming we're still in initiative order/combat time

AustinP0027 on
    I'm not sure tagging someone in an edit even works, so to be sure @kime

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "A burning pentagram--here, look!" What is this?

Geth roll 1d20+6 for Arcana

Arcana:
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Just what it says on the tin

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    "It seems to have five points! It's charred, it's flaming, it's in hell. I'm getting a dark feeling from it, you?"

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The coral columns are still lowering?

Are we still in initiative?

What light sources do we have out? If you don't know then I assume it doesn't matter MUAHAHA

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Yes, yes, and there's enough ambient lighting it doesn't matter currently

Hail Hydra
    Lady Lorian

She is next to the Skeleton column. If she examines it, does she also see a pentagram? If so.... she takes a step back and shoots a Firebolt at the center of the pentagram.

Steam profile
    "Sy and Dang - didn't one of you grab a pentagram earlier? Does it scale to this one, or is it reacting at all here?"

Sy

From the other side of the room Sy yells out, "That was Dang."

There is no pentagram on the Skeleton pillar.

Dang's Iron Pentagram is not reacting at all in this room.

Hail Hydra
    If that wasn't an action, use Lorian's remaining movement to going to each of the other pillars to find one? THEN FIREBOLT IT :D

Steam profile
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brygos grabs a fistful of the filthy rag the Blasphemer had been enveloped in, then crams it into the square hole atop the nearest pillar. With a touch, he sets it alight.

Everything here could benefit from a little fire, right? It's small and can be taken out if needed.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Lorian with her speed can check 2 more pillars unless you want to just spend your turn dashing like a maniac. Which pillars would you like to check?

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    Lorian with her speed can check 2 more pillars unless you want to just spend your turn dashing like a maniac. Which pillars would you like to check?

b) Succubus
    c) Erinyes

Just running up there. And Lorian would never dash like a maniac! That's not dignified at all.

Steam profile
    As Lorian reaches the Monolith of the Erinyes, she sees a black pentagram erupt over it's surface. Launching a fire bolt at the pentagram has no effect.

Hail Hydra
    Enrinyes (C) and Glabrezou (E) have pentagrams that we've seen so far. They aren't next to each other... Demon and Devil.... I dunno find meaning in this, team!

Lorian notes aloud of another pentagram here so that the team knows.

Steam profile
    Just going off what's been posted, I see a couple areas of investigation/unknown:

- Mud Portal
    - Skull on top of mud portal with glowing seal on mouth
    - pits with sharpened stakes which pulse with an energy

Still have to figure out how to get the columns to stop dropping, and what might go into the top of them.

Also, I think there's an archway to the west (not sure if it's open or not, we haven't asked).

Are the pits getting any deeper? That would tell us if we're in an elevator going up, or if the pillars are sinking down into the floor.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »
    Are the pits getting any deeper? That would tell us if we're in an elevator going up, or if the pillars are sinking down into the floor.

I feel like we'd feel it if it were an elevator

Steam profile
    Maybe the divots are buttons? Does anyone understand where they are located / how we are still seeing them if the pillars are going down?

The divots are in the tops of the pillars that are lowering into the floor, hence why you can still see them, they're currently about shoulder height. The pits are not changing position or dimensions, nor are the walls of the chamber.

Hail Hydra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Dang

Whistling for his broom, Dang flies roughly 50 feet around the room to roll a ball bearing into as many divots as he can. Round peg, square hole, an unorthodox approach that will likely have equal result to the usual turn of phrase.

"Do an order, Dang! Start with the Erinyes and finish with the succubus, in between do the - the skeleton, maybe? Just try those and see if anything happens before the other three!"

Dang goes for the skeleton first, then follows the plan.

plink! plink! plink!

The ball bearings drop into the divots. Nothing else happens.

Hail Hydra
    Anything square-shaped that the now-dead monsters had on them that is visible from where we all are?

Steam profile
    Narp

Hail Hydra
    Time permitting…

Dang pours sake from his last wineskin into the skeleton’s divot. A shape filled might count in the underworld, where all this is a metaphor or dream of the dead anyhow. He downs the rest and throws it over his shoulder.

Are there posts on the ceiling that the pillars would connect with it if they were all the way up?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Nope

Hail Hydra
    Maybe time to focus on the portal/skull... Maybe that'll give us some inspiration for the pillars.

Steam profile
    edited May 2022
    Big Final Dang

Ultimately even damnation was just a minor blip on the grand cosmic timeline. The soul continues on and on, enduring layers of hells, to be reborn again and again until enlightenment is reached. It was fine. It was fine to fly through the portal.

So he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3RD1LTdEYI

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2022
    8i73WIJ.gif

Dang flies into the portal, and immediately a mud-caked skeleton Dang's size and build is ejected from the portal.

What is the last, final word Big Fat Dang utters before darkness takes him?

Dang has perished! Serpents may roll a new character to join the party at their leisure! The party loses 50 points from their final score!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZGlaAxB7nI

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    “Om.”

OK so the lesson I'm learning here is "don't touch gross stuff" :P

And on THAT note, who wants to touch the skull?

Steam profile
    One if the smarter, doesn't have crystal eyes, folks should just look at it more. I did t investigate it just looked in the area

Lady Lorian is smart and does not have crystal eyes. We are still in initiative order yeah? Who's next?

Steam profile
    @Bursar is next

Actually, we haven't heard from @The Brayster in a couple days

Hail Hydra