As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

No, that's his main focus now and he's really good at it. He's also the exception that proves the rule. Freddie can't pull an audience anymore, if he ever really could, but he fits in seamlessly with his voice work. He's found the best use of his talent and he's crushing his roles.

She's All That coupled with Wing Commander show that his talent and potential to fill seats is evergreen.

All of Freddie's big hits were carried by women. He was always adequately present.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

No, that's his main focus now and he's really good at it. He's also the exception that proves the rule. Freddie can't pull an audience anymore, if he ever really could, but he fits in seamlessly with his voice work. He's found the best use of his talent and he's crushing his roles.

She's All That coupled with Wing Commander show that his talent and potential to fill seats is evergreen.

I don't know if I should applaud this burn or shove a nav computer somewhere. How did Wing Commander wind up so bad? Matthew Lillard sucking on ice, the ships looking like shit, Highlander in Space (French guy with heavy accent playing a Scot), the Pilgrim crap...

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I don't know if I should applaud this burn or shove a nav computer somewhere. How did Wing Commander wind up so bad? Matthew Lillard sucking on ice, the ships looking like shit, Highlander in Space (French guy with heavy accent playing a Scot), the Pilgrim crap...

Mathew Lillard was real inspired casting. But hell the movie was up against Luke Skywalker, Biff Tannen, Professor Arturo, Captain Knewt, and Malcolm "I couldn't decide what role to reference" McDowell.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Mathew Lillard was real inspired casting. But hell the movie was up against Luke Skywalker, Biff Tannen, Professor Arturo, Captain Knewt, and Malcolm "I couldn't decide what role to reference" McDowell.

Don't forget the first ever Vivid girl and AVN hall of fame alum Ginger Lynn as the tech chief in Heart of the Tiger and Mark "John Wick Fanboy" Dacascos as Catscratch in IV.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Don't forget the first ever Vivid girl and AVN hall of fame alum Ginger Lynn as the tech chief in Heart of the Tiger and Mark "John Wick Fanboy" Dacascos as Catscratch in IV.

Oh shit and Jules Pierre Mao was Vagabond.

Goddamn what a cast.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

My guess would be the way virtually every film based upon a video game IP with an incredibly niche audience does: Inevitably :tongue:

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Public Service Announcement: the latest Halo episode is all kwan... hard pass.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    McRhyno wrote: »

Butts. As the previous episode was no Kwan I was hoping they'd somehow forgotten about her.

I'm annoyed that plot thread sucks so bad, because it would be nice to get a civilian view of things, especially from someone the Spartans were previously used as enforcers against. But basically nothing of hers after the second episode has been worthwhile.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Something I've noticed from watching a metric fuck ton of Netflix's euro mystery and thriller shows: there's been a strong class of cinematographers brewing in European film schools. These productions are basically DTV but they look so much more professional and better than they used to be.

It really hammers the point that cinematography pays a massive return compared to money on special effects or 5 mins of a "star". Do you really need the money, Ben Kingsley? (Yeesh on finding out why Bruce Willis took so many crappy jobs)

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I have to wonder who is the one in the writing room or development who championed Kwan. "The kids'll love her, she'll be as popular as Cortana! We'll even give her a solo episode, yes that X-Men episode of Stranger Things was actually the best, what, no I don't smell burnt toast, why do you ask?"

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm watching season 2 of Barry and I just finished the episode "ronny/lily"

That may be one of the funniest episodes of any show I've ever seen.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

It is such a weird mix of dark humor and slapstick, and I was totally there for it. Like, that specific episode made me go "What is even happening?" so many times.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Wrapped up Severance, it stuck the landing and lived up to the hype. Great world-building and just a great example of a low-budget sci-fi premise done right. Sci-fi doesn't have to be a giant waste of money and VFX resources if you just write it intelligently. In that sense I do think it's of a piece with shows like Devs, Homecoming, maybe Maniac, but better than all of those. Very excited to see where this goes next.

Russian Doll season 2, not bad, but definitely diminishing returns from the first one. Season 1 gave the impression that the death loop had rules, even if we didn't fully understand them. By the end of season 2, I had resigned myself to the fact that the time train shenanigans have no rules whatsoever, that magical and mysterious things were just going to keep happening to move the story along. Natasha Lyonne is obviously still great.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

It is such a weird mix of dark humor and slapstick, and I was totally there for it. Like, that specific episode made me go "What is even happening?" so many times.

When Ronny throws that first kick I was like "What in the everloving duck is going on?" It is so visceral. Like the kick from The Winter Soldier.

Then it turns into a horror movie.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

When Ronny throws that first kick I was like "What in the everloving duck is going on?" It is so visceral. Like the kick from The Winter Soldier.

Then it turns into a horror movie.
    And they spend a lot of time setting the table before it happens, too, which makes it so much funnier.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I finally watched Chernobyl.

Episode 4 is a tough watch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I finally watched Chernobyl.

Episode 4 is a tough watch.

Ep 1 was pretty difficult for me personally.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    also, watched The Owl House because of this thread and damnit y'all why is Disney canceling it?

also, watched The Owl House because of this thread and damnit y'all why is Disney canceling it?

It's too good for this world.

steam_sig.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Main character is LGBTQ with a girlfriend and while that might fly in the US, in the rest of the world, it does not.

Not officially of course, but there have been a bunch of dubbing and subs choices worldwide that erase the entire Queer romance angle. Like Sailor Moon "Cousins" level of rewriting.

Except the "cousins" where side characters and Luz/Amity is the core relationship in the show. Disney probably got a bunch of complaints about it domestically and oversea it probably even worse.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Main character is LGBTQ with a girlfriend and while that might fly in the US, in the rest of the world, it does not.

Not officially of course, but there have been a bunch of dubbing and subs choices worldwide that erase the entire Queer romance angle. Like Sailor Moon "Cousins" level of rewriting.

Except the "cousins" where side characters and Luz/Amity is the core relationship in the show. Disney probably got a bunch of complaints about it domestically and oversea it probably even worse.

Disney just cares about making money by being broadly appealing. That's why their inclusiveness looks the way it does. (ie - often anemic) And why so many of their LGBT+ stuff or similar is conveniently cutable for the international market.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

The creator has a different take and I am inclined to believe her when it is all said and done. She was pretty vocal recently calling out Disney over the whole don't say gay bill. She was left with the impression that it was too weird and too serialized to keep going. Not official by any means though so the exact reason remains unstated.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Wrapped up Severance, it stuck the landing and lived up to the hype. Great world-building and just a great example of a low-budget sci-fi premise done right. Sci-fi doesn't have to be a giant waste of money and VFX resources if you just write it intelligently. In that sense I do think it's of a piece with shows like Devs, Homecoming, maybe Maniac, but better than all of those. Very excited to see where this goes next.

One of my favorite shows in quite awhile. I kept wondering how badly it would have ended up if it had been under a netflix budget. It's a great example of how solid writing and good camera work will transcend, regardless of the budget. Also Tramell Tillman was an inspired choice for Mr. Milchick and he killed it.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watched Wandavision in preparation for the new Dr Strange. It was pretty middling. I didn't have nostalgia for a bunch of the stuff they were spoofing, also don't like kids, and the big twist thing was kinda lame. Also felt like the ending just kind of brushed a ton of stuff off.

Also wasn't particularly into Loki, though I think it was a bit better than this. Bout to start Falcon/Winter Soldier, hopefully that's better. I like Winter Soldier as a character at least, so hopefully that'll help. Still got What If..., Hawkguy, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Shang Chi, and Eternals to watch to catch up, too. Though I have heard literally nothing good about Eternals.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Wait, it’s getting cancelled? It’s so good! :cry:

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Watched Wandavision in preparation for the new Dr Strange. It was pretty middling. I didn't have nostalgia for a bunch of the stuff they were spoofing, also don't like kids, and the big twist thing was kinda lame. Also felt like the ending just kind of brushed a ton of stuff off.

Also wasn't particularly into Loki, though I think it was a bit better than this. Bout to start Falcon/Winter Soldier, hopefully that's better. I like Winter Soldier as a character at least, so hopefully that'll help. Still got What If..., Hawkguy, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Shang Chi, and Eternals to watch to catch up, too. Though I have heard literally nothing good about Eternals.

I liked Eternals! I just watched it for the first time a couple days ago.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The Pentaverate (Netflix) is very Mike Meyers, very Canadian, and very short.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Watched the first 4 episodes of the new Bosch show, its really solid. Doesn't just feel like the Bosch show, but still has that multiple storyline angle that Bosch did so well. Commercials were pretty minimal on freevee

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    LostNinja wrote: »

The reports I read says there's a third limited episode third season, and then done.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

We bounced off Wandavision as well. My SO hates laugh tracks and no nostalgia, made the first half pretty unbearable. Winter Soldier and What If were ok. I liked the individual stories, but the "main" story of What If felt really weak. We really liked Hawkeye and Loki though.

For movies, I've not seen Black Widow (which didn't impact my enjoyment of Hawkeye). Shang Chi is great, and Eternals has a decent concept but poor execution. I'd imagine Shang Chi might be the only one with a connection to the new movie, but who knows.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45

The reports I read says there's a third limited episode third season, and then done.

I’m glad they will at least get a chance to close it out, even if it’s rushed. The current season has upped the suspense/mystery significantly.

I’m glad they will at least get a chance to close it out, even if it’s rushed. The current season has upped the suspense/mystery significantly.

Are they ever gonna put the rest of season 2 on D+?
    Last I checked they were still only up to the midseason from last year.

steam_sig.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Are they ever gonna put the rest of season 2 on D+?
    Last I checked they were still only up to the midseason from last year.

I suspect we will get a quarter season drop at some point and then the rest after the season has ended. I checked as I vaguely remember a date attached to them doing this. Unfortunately, D+ did not have any dates. They DID have 6 more episodes of The Owl House already up though.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, D+ is up to episode 16 of Owl House and episode 14 or so of Amphibia season 3.

The Owl House/Amphibia relation makes for an interesting comparison. Similar main characters, almost identical premises, but Amphibia is aimed at a very slightly younger audience. As a result, it has far less interest in romance, and while it has LGBTQ characters, they are more in the background.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Holy shit Outer Range on Amazon is SO BORING! I really want to know what happens, though, so I'm going to just fast forward every part where any of the sons is talking to anyone else and then watch the rest with Brolin, Poots, Patton, and Taylor.

Straygatsby on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Definitely better enjoyed as a weekly show as opposed to binging it.

steam_sig.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The ending of Ozark was pretty weak. In fact I think the entire last season felt like a misfire. Too bad too as I think it's a good show with a bunch of great characters.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I will say I'll be surprised if in Bosch Legacy spoilers for speculation

I can't imagine Maddie staying as LAPD, she seems to not enjoy the regular day to day, and she can't let cases go like her father. I imagine by season 2 she'll just be working with Harry as a PI. I do continue to enjoy their father daughter dynamic, Welliver and Lintz are believeable in that probably because they've been working together for 7 years.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Definitely better enjoyed as a weekly show as opposed to binging it.

Those first few episodes were still kind of boring until the plot fleshed out though. The D+ Marvel shows suck at pacing. I’m only a few episodes into MoonKnight and it’s no different.

This discussion has been closed.