As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah I figure what he mostly means by that is "We'll release a game that's actually finished this time" lol

Cause no shit FFX was the last mainline non-MMO FF that wasn't caught in some development hell...a game that came out almost 21 years ago.

Shutupshutupshutupshutup

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    XIV was a development hell disaster too, the surviving game is a greatly retooled reboot they then built on top of after that was a moderate success.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have to see if XV is cheap on the pc.

• Options
    huh it's actually on sale for $20 on steam right now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah square has its own golden week sale that isn't linked from the main page as far as I can see...

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i forgot in FFIX how
    the average Black Mage lives only about a year.

Very tragic.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a surprisingly good sale from square. I might combo pickup ff9 and romsaga 2.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I wonder if VIII would have been less confusing if "Junction" had been replaced with "Equip".

"Equip a Guardian Force to a character. Then, its skills will allow you to equip magic to boost that character's stats."

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    That seems a bit patronizing to people who didn't like FFVIII's character build mechanics.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I wonder if VIII would have been less confusing if "Junction" had been replaced with "Equip".

"Equip a Guardian Force to a character. Then, its skills will allow you to equip magic to boost that character's stats."

Well, FFVIII is the one FF that only had 1 equip slot (the weapon).... so i can see the equip keywords being used instead of junction. THEN AGAIN, I like junction as a keyword.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    That seems a bit patronizing to people who didn't like FFVIII's character build mechanics.

Well I mean considering they were perfect you only have yourself to blame, alas

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

A lot of those people didn't like it because they didn't realize that the best way to optimize your characters wasn't to spend hours not actually playing the game, it was to spend hours not actually playing the game in an entirely different way.

• Options
    I mean I'll be honest, my first playthrough I was young, I was bad at games, and I didn't get the Junction system at all lol

Steam profile
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I'm doubting the devs understood the ramifications of FFVIII's systems, at least in combination with each other.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Just to be clear, I'm not offended. I'm just saying it comes off poorly.

I know I didn't care for the draw/gf/junction system at the time (I preferred both VII's materia system & Tactics' job system), but I don't think I have played FFVIII since the year it came out, so I can't really hold a strong opinion on it because I've largely forgotten what all it entailed.

Edit: quick look at wikipedia says it came out in North America in September, so I might've still been playing it the following year.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I mean I'll be honest, my first playthrough I was young, I was bad at games, and I didn't get the Junction system at all lol

The only diff between me in my first playthrough attempt and me at my last one for FFVIII is that i knew to get 100 of every spell. the battle system itself is slower on the enemy side to facilitate getting draws.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm doubting the devs understood the ramifications of FFVIII's systems, at least in combination with each other.
    I seriously doubt that.
    Things have to be really obscure for me to believe that the devs didn't know about them. Being able to refine cards into items into awesome spells into massive stat boosts and so on isn't hard to figure out, especially for playtesters who'd be playing that game literally all the time.

Like, no dev anywhere would present the idea that giving the player 100 uses of total invincibility would be perfectly balanced.

They made it so the player who doesn't really know the ins and outs of the system could play through, drawing magic as they find it, levelling up with battles the whole way, and just using the auto junctioning options could beat the game without tearing their hair out. By necessity, this means that a player who does know that stuff well could snap the game in two.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Finally playing strangers of paradise.

As goofy as I could have hoped.

Gameplay is a back and forth of fun and disappointing though.

I feel like they attached too much to the break bar. Breaking stance is already a punishment. Losing MP feels so bad. Especially in a boss where there's no way to get it back unless on very specific classes. Losing all your buffs just feels insulting Especially with the prior punishment.

Especially since late game any boss can break me in 1 hit if not blocking. It feels like it just kinda keeps you from doing all the fun stuff?

And also since not enough carries over between jobs once you have some maxed jobs it feels like you arent really getting much reward for combat.

It feels so strange that all those weapon ability modifiers don't carry over. There's so many slots for them but all you will ever have is the one or two that match your weapon and current job.

Overall I say the game is still a 3/5. But my enjoyment went from a potential 4/5 down to matching the 3/5.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Losing MP feels so bad. Especially in a boss where there's no way to get it back unless on very specific classes.

You can always recover max MP, every class can Soul Shield attacks.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Losing MP feels so bad. Especially in a boss where there's no way to get it back unless on very specific classes.

Ok so this may partly be me to blame. Can any attack be soul shielded? I thought it was only like spells an enemy casts and I don't have the capability to read an attack and react with a specific button press like that so I haven't used that ability all game lol

Edit: Omg I'm an idiot.you can soul shield regular attacks. I'll have to reassess next time I play hahah. Thank you Bill!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Ok so this may partly be me to blame. Can any attack be soul shielded? I thought it was only like spells an enemy casts and I don't have the capability to read an attack and react with a specific button press like that so I haven't used that ability all game lol

Edit: Omg I'm an idiot.you can soul shield regular attacks. I'll have to reassess next time I play hahah. Thank you Bill!

Yea. That's kinda key to the game. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable now.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Yea. That's kinda key to the game. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable now.

Yea. Always nice to find out you are just wrong about something in a situation like this haha. Certainly wish I had posted earlier to learn this sooner. But hey, better late than never!

Also I feel like this means I really should switch over to a great sword instead of sword and shield. If im using the soul shield i imagine regular blocking is much less useful, yea?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I'm not that far in but I'm really, unironically enjoying Stranger of Paradise too.

It's pretty fun to play, plus the attitude, aesthetic and sense of general what-the-fuckery is really scratching that XIII itch

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Yea. Always nice to find out you are just wrong about something in a situation like this haha. Certainly wish I had posted earlier to learn this sooner. But hey, better late than never!

Also I feel like this means I really should switch over to a great sword instead of sword and shield. If im using the soul shield i imagine regular blocking is much less useful, yea?

any attack that is not accompanied with a red aura/name can be soul shielded / blocked... if it's red you have to dodge. unless you're playing on Story difficulty or something then probably.

the usage depends on the attack. blocking into soul shielding can prevent a break/consume less. soul shielding won't end all combo chains so you burn a lot of gauge depending on how many times you do it. purple attacks you can "steal" a stock of, but they're not really that useful imo. or if they are the boss will just be spamming it anyway (everyone's grudge) and it's like... yeah.

edit: should also note that the bosses kind of have that mega-man feeling to it where if you're using one class while you can still win, it will be significantly easier with another class more suited to countering whatever the boss does.

edit2: also, both your equipped classes have their own break gauges, so you can burn most of your active bar, and swap to give that break gauge a chance to recover, etc.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Since I've already played so long just using regular block and dodging red attacks I think I may actually just rebind L1 to soul shield.

Man I bet this is going to make Holy Fang feel so much better.

Oh gods and actually using light bringer especially the upgraded paladin form... since I can actually get back MP in a boss fight.

I am such a fool this is pretty funny.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Since I've already played so long just using regular block and dodging red attacks I think I may actually just rebind L1 to soul shield.

Oh gods and actually using light bringer especially the upgraded paladin form... since I can actually get back MP in a boss fight.

Regular blocking has a much smaller penalty for poor timing (since your break gauge isn't depleting as fast), and you can regular block at a lower break gauge cost (which helps if you're just holding down block), and regular blocks get the break gauge buff if you parry an enemy attack with a regular block (block with perfect timing will make the break gauge restore at super increased speed for a short time). Really you want to use both.

Tcheldor on
  • Options

Regular blocking has a much smaller penalty for poor timing (since your break gauge isn't depleting as fast), and you can regular block at a lower break gauge cost (which helps if you're just holding down block), and regular blocks get the break gauge buff if you parry an enemy attack with a regular block (block with perfect timing will make the break gauge restore at super increased speed for a short time). Really you want to use both.

I don't/ can't parry.

And for the same reason I don't parry switching back and forth between the two kinds of block is going to lead to way more failures to the point of not being worth it haha.

Thats just far too many things to consider and decide in way too short of a time for me.

As is block AND dodge is already pushing it for me. Theres a reason I dont use shields in souls games. I'm more of a panic reaction kinda person than a read attacks and make decisions kind of person lol.

• Options

I don't/ can't parry.

And for the same reason I don't parry switching back and forth between the two kinds of block is going to lead to way more failures to the point of not being worth it haha.

Thats just far too many things to consider and decide in way too short of a time for me.

As is block AND dodge is already pushing it for me. Theres a reason I dont use shields in souls games. I'm more of a panic reaction kinda person than a read attacks and make decisions kind of person lol.

the other advantage to soul shielding is that if you time it right you'll never run out of break gauge, since as long as you just tap the button and time it right, the game won't break you. That of course means you have to continuously tap it with Sekiro parrying timing to avoid being broken, but you can do it, and against barrages of projectiles or such, you can usually get a solid timing down.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I don't/ can't parry.

the other advantage to soul shielding is that if you time it right you'll never run out of break gauge, since as long as you just tap the button and time it right, the game won't break you. That of course means you have to continuously tap it with Sekiro parrying timing to avoid being broken, but you can do it, and against barrages of projectiles or such, you can usually get a solid timing down.

So uh, the thing about Sekiro parrying timing is that once you get the perfect parry against a combo of hits... the game just gives you the rest for free. As long as you're stuck in block animation it's automatically a perfect parry after that. Some enemies delay the final hit of a combo to where you need to parry a second time there, but there's no need to mash out parries if you nail the first one.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yea im the mad man who didn't even parry on sekiro im so set on not doing it haha

But it does sound like ill be able to get by replacing block with soul shield.

• Options
    Yep this is working much better now!

Still have some qualms overall but this is much more in line with how things should be.

Thanks all!

• Options
    So uhhh

Expect an FF16 release date soon I guess! Maybe as soon as this summer?? Feels pretty surreal, a mainline Final Fantasy having this kind of smooth, quick turnaround. Unless they've been secretly working on this since just after Heavensward in 2016 or so?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Expect an FF16 release date soon I guess! Maybe as soon as this summer?? Feels pretty surreal, a mainline Final Fantasy having this kind of smooth, quick turnaround. Unless they've been secretly working on this since just after Heavensward in 2016 or so?
    Even if they have, that feels like a quick turnaround for an FF title.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Apparently they started working on FF16 before FF15 was released because it was taking so long, so that's why it might feel like a short amount of time has passed.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Even if they have, that feels like a quick turnaround for an FF title.

Yeah... I'd been expecting it to be like, late next year or so. If they started in 2016 then this year is plausible, that's plenty of time if the project isnt in dev hell...

• Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Apparently they started working on FF16 before FF15 was released because it was taking so long, so that's why it might feel like a short amount of time has passed.

Ok they were just quiet about it until it was coming together, that makes more sense.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Ok they were just quiet about it until it was coming together, that makes more sense.

Either which way i much appreciate this approach.

I don't even mind if its early 2023 given how packed this fall is.

But that said I'd gladly bump literally any other game off my schedule to make room for playing this at launch haha.

• Options

Either which way i much appreciate this approach.

I don't even mind if its early 2023 given how packed this fall is.

But that said I'd gladly bump literally any other game off my schedule to make room for playing this at launch haha.

At launch is going to depend on what stupid exclusivity stuff is involved, isn't it?

• Options
    Is 16 being released on PC at launch?

Steam profile
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

So then they just need to start work on FF17 now, before FF16 releases, and keep up the good pace!

This discussion has been closed.