As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Madican wrote: »
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    There is a pretty simple answer to all of this. STOP LEAVING THE GROUND......

Or maybe just stop building giant bridges out of a material that is synonymous with "fragile" and "easily destroyed"

Right, hence I said stay on the ground....
    exvbgcpqe1d5.png

EDIT: Wrong tags.

Hydropolo on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    We have bridges that don't do that is the thing. It's just made of metal and reinforced all over.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    We have bridges that don't do that is the thing. It's just made of metal and reinforced all over.

That bridge was made of metal and reinforced. It was a lesson in why resonance is something that you need to address in design.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    If you haven't seen that bridge in motion, it's well worth seeing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Basically, in 1940 they didn't design that bridge taking account resonance in the bridge. Now people do.

Also, now it's the worlds largest man made reef - I guess that is a gone right too?

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

That bridge was made of metal and reinforced. It was a lesson in why resonance is something that you need to address in design.

Eh, they picked an experimental design that had never been tried before because it was way cheaper than the tried and true safe way. Resonance wasn't the only issue there.

• asurasur Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It was nicknamed Galloping Gertie during construction because it moved so much. Apparently everyone though it was structurally sound, which is hard to believe, though may have been the case with vertical vibrations.

The bridge had aeroelastic flutter that was both self exciting and unbounded when winds were above 35mph. This caused torsional vibrations, the bridge twisted instead of the previously seen up and down movement. You can pretty clearly see this in the video posted above.

asur on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    asur wrote: »
    It was nicknamed Galloping Gertie during construction because it moved so much. Apparently everyone though it was structurally sound, which is hard to believe, though may have been the case with vertical vibrations.

The bridge had aeroelastic flutter that was both self exciting and unbounded when winds were above 35mph. This caused torsional vibrations, the bridge twisted instead of the previously seen up and down movement. You can pretty clearly see this in the video posted above.

Vertical movement can be fine; Tom Scott recently did a video on a bridge that moves quite a lot. Enough so that it became a local attraction and engineers were forced to incorporate the movement into repair work!

Positive feedback loops though...that's where things get bad.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Didn't someone tell them to keep their poles out of the right half plane? Positive feedback is not a good thing!

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Didn't someone tell them to keep their poles out of the right half plane? Positive feedback is not a good thing!

I said the same thing on my last flight to Warsaw.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Eh, they picked an experimental design that had never been tried before because it was way cheaper than the tried and true safe way. Resonance wasn't the only issue there.

So like, I referenced this in response to the comment:
    Or maybe just stop building giant bridges out of a material that is synonymous with "fragile" and "easily destroyed"

The original Narrows bridge was definitely made out of "non-fragile" materials. It's part of the whole semi-tongue in cheek thing about just staying on the ground. We really don't have to overanalyze it all and make it a thing.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    We really don't have to overanalyze it all and make it a thing.

Have you met this thread? It’s pun trains or overanalysis.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My analysis indicates that the comment about “fragile” was in reference to the glass bottom bridges, not the Narrows bridge

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Orca wrote: »

My signal processing professor told the same joke every year:

Why do Polish airliners not have seats on the right side of the plane?

To avoid an astable system.

Aaaaand beat’d

maraji on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

And asking Hedgie where the gone right is, let's not forget.

aTBDrQE.jpg

Oh that's fine, sorry, let me be clearer. Let's not overanalyze and make a thing about MY STATEMENTS. :)

Oh that's fine, sorry, let me be clearer. Let's not overanalyze and make a thing about MY STATEMENTS. :)

io12vaot7ohk.jpeg

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I could set the thread on fire..

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I could set the thread on fire..

I'm more of a fan of strychnine in the guacamole and taking my travel vouchers to a competing resort.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited May 2022

This tracks. I know I stick to my station

Madican on
    Time for the thread to go off the rails

I choo-choose anarchy

I choo-choose anarchy

Don't be a doubting Thomas.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I choo-choose anarchy

He's always trying to railroad his ideas, but he'll soon run out of steam.

sig.gif
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I choo-choose anarchy

https://youtu.be/yNaTZV8qS1I

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I choo-choose anarchy

https://youtu.be/yNaTZV8qS1I

I hope the player was named Jake. And that is the truth.

MichaelLC on
    ::toot-toot::

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    No, it's peep peep. Or poop poop if it's Gordon.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I choo-choose anarchy

He's always trying to railroad his ideas, but he'll soon run out of steam.

That tracks.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Stop.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Stop.

Railroad Crossing or?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Stop.

Railroad Crossing or?

Is Atlas in Chains causing confusion and delay?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sorry, once we hit the brakes it can take us up to a mile to fully stop

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Most pun trains in this thread have a reason behind them, but the motive for this one was is loco.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    SUBWAY

sig.gif
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    SUBWAY

EEF FREEF

Bursar wrote: »
    Most pun trains in this thread have a reason behind them, but the motive for this one was is loco.

We often have crazy intent.

Bursar wrote: »

Sometimes you gotta engineer your own train

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Stop.

Railroad Crossing or?

That's the beauty of my pun. I can participate and complain at the same time. Caboose.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Stop.

Railroad Crossing or?

That's the beauty of my pun. I can participate and complain at the same time. Caboose.

Oh speaking of cabooses I once jumped off of a literal caboose that was in motion and very carefully waddled my way back down the tracks for over a 100 yards to a porta potty because it was important that I find a shitter in a way that I'm not sure most people understand.

There were moments I thought I couldn't make it, and there were moments where I thought making it was impossible. Those were the only two mental states possible.

But I did it. I avoided shitting my pants. I managed to spray, and I do mean spray, shit down into the hell that is the receptacle of a porta potty. Imagine the sound of a hose cleaning out a bucket. Then imagine that for an uncomfortable length of time. Coming from a butthole.

That is a thing that happened.

I'm still not sure how the most violent shit that has ever taken place in my life happened when I was like 12 or 13, and for no discernable reason, but it absolutely did.

And the event haunts me still.

Now some may be wondering how this is applicable to the bad news gone right thread.

I refer you to the first four lines.

I did it. I managed to not shit my pants despite the attempted villainy of my bowels.

I submit that is at the very least a potentially catastrophic event going right.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Well.

That certainly derailed the conversation.

This discussion has been closed.