As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited June 2022 in Social Entropy++
Well, today I watched the big Sam Raimi movie. The one about a man of science who suffers a horrible injury, and in the pursuit of finding a cure for himself manages to end up with wild super powers. It’s Raimi blending superheroes and horror, and it’s got all his usual trademarks, including a great cameo by Bruce Campbell, and an amazing Danny Elfman score.

Anyway, Darkman still rips.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
DJ Eebs on

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Take the fucking elephant

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Doctor Strange 2 was fucking gnarly

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Doctor Strange 2 was fucking gnarly

Is this a good gnarly or...

• Options
    One quick note before I hop over to talk about it in the MCU thread: this is very much a Sam Raimi production. Like, it's got somewhat of an MCU filter on it, but I've seen what it looks like when he is fully in "making a movie for a studio" mode, like when he did the Oz movie, and this...isn't it. There are a few things that happened in this that are uh...way more intense than what I'd ever expected to see in an MCU movie.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    One quick note before I hop over to talk about it in the MCU thread: this is very much a Sam Raimi production. Like, it's got somewhat of an MCU filter on it, but I've seen what it looks like when he is fully in "making a movie for a studio" mode, like when he did the Oz movie, and this...isn't it. There are a few things that happened in this that are uh...way more intense than what I'd ever expected to see in an MCU movie.

This is easily the most exciting thing anyone could have told me about this movie

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    It's very funny because I did not like the first Doctor Strange movie, and I'm still not 100% sold on Cumberbatch in the role, but I had a hell of a time watching this anyways

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I hope Dr Strange: MoM is still in theaters when I get out of quarantine.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    'Dr Strange 2 is very Raimi' is exactly what I needed to hear.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    For the lovers of gnarly Raimi, may I recommend Drag Me to Hell

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

The first blu ray disc I ever watched. You wouldn't think that PG-13 horror would work, and yet...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

The first blu ray disc I ever watched. You wouldn't think that PG-13 horror would work, and yet...

That movie seemed to have an ethos of, "Well, the MPAA never said THIS would get you an R," and god bless it

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Drag Me To Hell has one of the hall of famer horror goats

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Super awesome when the front page of my YouTube has huge Dr. Strange spoiler videos, which has images from the movie as to what cameos and surprises show up.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The Quick and The Dead is Sam Rami's ignored masterpiece.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

extremely my shit, let me preorder tickets right now

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Oh hell yeah, that's fuckin' grody, let's goooooo

• Options
    some wild lookin gamer chairs in crimes of the future

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

If you want the mad deeps, you need the mad chair

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part of Grosse Pointe Blanke is literally no character likes being around any other character. Just a whole movie of people being uneasy around everyone all the while they are chatting up a person who would kill them if paid enough.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

eXis2enZ

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options

eXis2enZ

no one call tell either of us that we don't recycle

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I heard we were talking about The Quick and the Dead in here

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    eXistenZ is so fucking bizarre, I love that movie

I had a novelization back in the day, the kind that would have like, pictures from the movie in the middle

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

How do you spell that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Quick and the Dead is a movie that I didn't realize was Sam Raimi for awhile, and once I learned that it made perfect sense

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Quick and the Dead is a movie that I didn't realize was Sam Raimi for awhile, and once I learned that it made perfect sense

Yeah when you know its one of his its readily apparent, like the extreme zooms, the way he does like time advances, over the top villains who like to monologue all there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

How do you spell that?

.......Correctly.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

How do you spell that?

.......Correctly.

That's such an asshole thing to say, like how the fuck would that bartender know how to spell your damn name. Just made me think he left a trail of bodies across the west of illiterate people.

Man that movie has a who's who of personalities. Hackman, Lance Henricksen, Keith David, Tobin Bell is in it briefly, Kevin Conway even freaking Gary Sinese sneaks in.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I haven't seen The Quick and the Dead in forever and when I listened to the Blank Check about it whenever they were talking about Lance Henricksen I thought they meant Lance Reddick.

Lance Reddick with a wispy little stache and goatie, wearing elaborate ace-themed leather.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    randomly trawling the streaming sites, and The History of Time Travel caught my eye. It's low budget, but comfortably so; quite short (just over an hour); and it's practically everyone's first imdb credit as an actor.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 71% audience score, but I'd bump it up to a C+, maybe a B-. A fairly fun diversion.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Someone recommended it in an earlier thread and I checked it out then, it's a fun time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    i am still trying to unpack all of netflix's marmaduke, an absolutely unhinged movie that ends with pete davidson, in character as marmaduke the dog, rapping over the credits

but here is a twitter thread of my real-time reactions to give you the gist (linking it because there are videos and snapshots not...just laziness)

i am convinced someone watched that bizarre algorithm produced youtube kids' programming and genuinely thought that was what kids were into and it lead to

whatever the fuck marmaduke is

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    randomly trawling the streaming sites, and The History of Time Travel caught my eye. It's low budget, but comfortably so; quite short (just over an hour); and it's practically everyone's first imdb credit as an actor.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 71% audience score, but I'd bump it up to a C+, maybe a B-. A fairly fun diversion.

While I'm not saying it's bad, I will say, when I was looking for something random to watch on Amazon it came up and I was like "oh, this seems interesting" and then I clicked on it, and it started me in the middle of the end credits.

Because I had watched it a year or so beforehand and literally entirely forgotten it until I figured out I had already watched it and mentally discarded it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    i am still trying to unpack all of netflix's marmaduke, an absolutely unhinged movie that ends with pete davidson, in character as marmaduke the dog, rapping over the credits

but here is a twitter thread of my real-time reactions to give you the gist (linking it because there are videos and snapshots not...just laziness)

i am convinced someone watched that bizarre algorithm produced youtube kids' programming and genuinely thought that was what kids were into and it lead to

whatever the fuck marmaduke is

I looked at one of the clips and was like "oh wow Marmaduke drank a lot of water" and then it was a fart???? Like even by cartoon physics that doesn't make sense.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    How drunk should I get before watching Marmaduke? Like, hella?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think you're just gonna be bored.

The trailer practically put me to sleep.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Realized that I hadn't seen The Quick and the Dead, went ahead and corrected that

That movie's 90% a fun time, and then 5% weirdly racist "Unkillable Indian gets killed slowly for laughs" and 5% "threats of sexual violence"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I’m watching Muppet Treasure Island with my youngest, and I just heard a line I had never noticed before in the crew introduction, with the old Tom/real old Tom/dead Tom joke. During the whole ship section, gonzo keeps reacting to any “hardcore” elements by noting that it’s cool. “He has demons? Cool!”

He does it several times, and then when Arrow calls “dead Tom” and the other muppet ventriloquist’s the corpse to say Aye, gonzo just goes

“Cool”

Very quietly off to the side. Just a small beat that really tickled me this time. I fucking love this movie.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've been perusing this thread here taking notes

Kinda want to find all these director's works and watch them just to spite Orson Welles which is something I feel like Orson Welles would appreciate.

• Options
    My Lunches with Orson Welles is a great book if you just want to read a lot of Welles being a catty bitch, it's fantastic

This discussion has been closed.