As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Watched Wandavision in preparation for the new Dr Strange. It was pretty middling. I didn't have nostalgia for a bunch of the stuff they were spoofing, also don't like kids, and the big twist thing was kinda lame. Also felt like the ending just kind of brushed a ton of stuff off.

Also wasn't particularly into Loki, though I think it was a bit better than this. Bout to start Falcon/Winter Soldier, hopefully that's better. I like Winter Soldier as a character at least, so hopefully that'll help. Still got What If..., Hawkguy, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Shang Chi, and Eternals to watch to catch up, too. Though I have heard literally nothing good about Eternals.

Definitely better enjoyed as a weekly show as opposed to binging it.

Those first few episodes were still kind of boring until the plot fleshed out though. The D+ Marvel shows suck at pacing. I’m only a few episodes into MoonKnight and it’s no different.
    It's me. I'm the person they were laser-targeting with the first few episodes of Wandavision. I loved all of that stuff. Sorry, folks.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a
    Holy shit Outer Range on Amazon is SO BORING! I really want to know what happens, though, so I'm going to just fast forward every part where any of the sons is talking to anyone else and then watch the rest with Brolin, Poots, Patton, and Taylor.

It's definitely very slow. I don't think I'd call it boring but I could see people being bored by it.

It's a weird fucking show, though. It's like there's a mystery box show, a crime drama show, and a family drama show all going on simultaneously with different sets of characters, a couple of whom cross over between the shows.

And I don't know what the deal is supposed to be with the one kid singing all the time but it's just weird.

I was amused, though, that I have the exact same edition of Sakurai's Modern Quandum Mechanics on my "Books I spent too much fucking money on in college and grad school to just throw away" shelf as Weird Hippy Trust Fund Girl Who Knows Too Much had in her tent.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It's Bosch o'clock, motherfuckers

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    It's Bosch o'clock, motherfuckers

Its not the full season like previous Bosch releases, but you do get 4 pretty meaty episodes. Also I liked how in the recap they had the f word, to tell you "yeah this show still fucks."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    FUCKIN BILL DEVANE?! ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    FUCKIN BILL DEVANE?! ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

So.... Bosch Legacy is all about gold purchasing, to hedge against inflation?
    The oversaturation of those ads has just been burned into my skull. Same as I grew up on Selleck in Magnum PI (and loved Quigley), but I see his face, and it's only about reverse mortgages now.

Oh man bill devane is shilling gold? Darn it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I do like how much like the books, Bosch is all about showing you LA. Like for anyone who ever read the book LA the is as much of a character as any of the crimes. And you can't really just have Bosch be moving between warehouses.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Watching Gravity Falls for the 2nd time with my 9 year old son and it's been delightful.

He thinks Alex Hirsch is the best and the best voice actor ever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how much like the books, Bosch is all about showing you LA. Like for anyone who ever read the book LA the is as much of a character as any of the crimes. And you can't really just have Bosch be moving between warehouses.

As long as it's not like Ray Donovan where Ray can wake up on a weekday, have breakfast with his family who hates him, drive from Calabasas to downtown to intimidate someone who hates him, drive back to Santa Monica to have sex with one more more women that hate him, then drive to Burbank to shake down a producer who hates him, and still have time to meet his wife (who hates him) for a late lunch in Beverly Hills...

Fuck, that was like a Californians sketch joke. I apologize.

As long as it's not like Ray Donovan where Ray can wake up on a weekday, have breakfast with his family who hates him, drive from Calabasas to downtown to intimidate someone who hates him, drive back to Santa Monica to have sex with one more more women that hate him, then drive to Burbank to shake down a producer who hates him, and still have time to meet his wife (who hates him) for a late lunch in Beverly Hills...

I don't know enough about La's geography to know how unrealistic the traversal of it is in the show. In the books it was always hours of travel time, this season they even made a joke that in covid it was easier to get around than it is now.

Also the books introduced me to the concept of "highway therapy", that being they'd transfer a dude who pissed someone off in the LAPD to a station that was hours away from their house, so that the person would decide to either be a team player in the future or quit.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I don't know enough about La's geography to know how unrealistic the traversal of it is in the show. In the books it was always hours of travel time, this season they even made a joke that in covid it was easier to get around than it is now.

Also the books introduced me to the concept of "highway therapy", that being they'd transfer a dude who pissed someone off in the LAPD to a station that was hours away from their house, so that the person would decide to either be a team player in the future or quit.

Hah, that sounds entirely realistic. May have to give this here Bosch a chance. It's been a long time since I've sat in for a cop show.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

That bolded is actually a thing I heard multiple who live in LA say throughout the pandemic

edited May 2022

That bolded is actually a thing I heard multiple who live in LA say throughout the pandemic

I mean shit I said it myself up here in the Seattle area.

Also Bosch is a cop show, but mostly focussed on the mystery novel part of it. And while it does have the typical "ra ra police" moments, it also doesn't exactly show the LAPD in glowing terms either.

I also recommend the books too, they are a bit dated as the bulk are products of the 90s so unlike the show Harry is a vietnam vet instead of an iraq, afghanistan one, but I found the writing and mystery aspect great. Personal favorite is the Last Coyote.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know if I've seen an anime studio flex as hard as A-1 is doing this season on Kaguya-sama: Love is War S3.

https://files.catbox.moe/ce1pwn.mp4

Not only did they have they been killing it during every episode so far this season and they had that awesome Starship Troopers ED for the season, they also did a one-off ED for this episode since it was a rap themed episode (well, at least 2/3 of it was).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWp6SXivHBQ

Stabbity_Style.png
    I was so worried this would be weak sauce Bosch but it feels like just season 8 which I mean as a positive.

I was so worried this would be weak sauce Bosch but it feels like just season 8 which I mean as a positive.

It really does feel like a good continuation, and as a book reader has a lot of those feelings coming in.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Finished Falcon and The Winter Soldier. It was ok. Bucky's still great. The Baron dude is fun enough. Got a bit heavy handed in the last episode, but whatever, talking about how much America fucked black people is probably good, even if it was a bit hamfisted. The whole "preach to a senator in the middle of the street while surrounded by news crews after winning the big fight" thing was definitely a bit much. Overall probably a bit better than Wandavision.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mike Hagerty passed away at 67, RIP. You know him from something you saw in the late 80's/90's, for me it was Wayne's World and Seinfeld, for others it was on Friends as the building super.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGq-R_p4Uyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NK5Uo0tSBg

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

Watching Young Justice and I think Jesse McCartney is another good example of this.

It is funny watching old Daly show (the youtube only skit show with Tim Daly and his son) how many tv guys did voice acting on DC shows.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

Watching Young Justice and I think Jesse McCartney is another good example of this.

Diedrich Bader is another

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I was background watching Black Rain this weekend while tooling around on my Switch, and there's a scene in the beginning where Michael Douglas' cop character is grilled by some hard-nosed internal affairs guys, because he might be dirty (and us not knowing sets him up for the rest of the movie). One of their voices caught my ear, and I turned to look only to re-discover that the two actors were Jimmy James/Milton from Office Space and the guy from Office Space who invented the Jump To Conclusions board. It either permanently ruined the scene or elevated it to godhood. I'm still not sure.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I was background watching Black Rain this weekend while tooling around on my Switch, and there's a scene in the beginning where Michael Douglas' cop character is grilled by some hard-nosed internal affairs guys, because he might be dirty (and us not knowing sets him up for the rest of the movie). One of their voices caught my ear, and I turned to look only to re-discover that the two actors were Jimmy James/Milton from Office Space and the guy from Office Space who invented the Jump To Conclusions board. It either permanently ruined the scene or elevated it to godhood. I'm still not sure.

Yes.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Stephen Root can play quite the asshole.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Love Death + Robots volume 3 is coming on May 20. I though Vol 2 was a bit underwhelming compared to the highs of 1 but I'm still interested in seeing more.

https://youtu.be/Xj2b0swdpX8

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Love Death + Robots volume 3 is coming on May 20. I though Vol 2 was a bit underwhelming compared to the highs of 1 but I'm still interested in seeing more.

https://youtu.be/Xj2b0swdpX8

Its one of the only shows that feels like a true anthology with different voices riffing on Sci fi. Love this series.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    also, watched The Owl House because of this thread and damnit y'all why is Disney canceling it?

Wait, it’s getting cancelled? It’s so good! :cry:

The reports I read says there's a third limited episode third season, and then done.

I’m glad they will at least get a chance to close it out, even if it’s rushed. The current season has upped the suspense/mystery significantly.

Are they ever gonna put the rest of season 2 on D+?
    Last I checked they were still only up to the midseason from last year.

I suspect we will get a quarter season drop at some point and then the rest after the season has ended. I checked as I vaguely remember a date attached to them doing this. Unfortunately, D+ did not have any dates. They DID have 6 more episodes of The Owl House already up though.

Oh sure enough there are indeed new episodes up. I wonder how long they've been there, I was checking every week for a while. Pretty great of Disney+ to not put the series back into my continue watching section when they arrived.

steam_sig.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    also, watched The Owl House because of this thread and damnit y'all why is Disney canceling it?

Wait, it’s getting cancelled? It’s so good! :cry:

The reports I read says there's a third limited episode third season, and then done.

I’m glad they will at least get a chance to close it out, even if it’s rushed. The current season has upped the suspense/mystery significantly.

Are they ever gonna put the rest of season 2 on D+?
    Last I checked they were still only up to the midseason from last year.

I suspect we will get a quarter season drop at some point and then the rest after the season has ended. I checked as I vaguely remember a date attached to them doing this. Unfortunately, D+ did not have any dates. They DID have 6 more episodes of The Owl House already up though.

Oh sure enough there are indeed new episodes up. I wonder how long they've been there, I was checking every week for a while. Pretty great of Disney+ to not put the series back into my continue watching section when they arrived.

Disney+ really sucks for a lot of stuff. The continue watching section is the worst. Stuff will sometimes just refuse to clear and doesn't always give you a heads up with new episodes. April 27th or so is when the episodes hit I think.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is time for this show to come back.
    https://youtu.be/G982GjpWZDU

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Not particularly subtle with the choices of dialogue, but I don't care. Until SNW, this was my favorite Trek show in a long time.

Debating whether or not to re-binge the previous seasons.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Indeed!

(Sorry, needed an unread, recent, but slow moving thread to test a posting bug..)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited May 2022
    (Last one, promise!)

ArbitraryDescriptor on

Does Hulu have all of the episodes? I really liked the first season but then I kinda fell off and I need to catch up.

Does Hulu have all of the episodes? I really liked the first season but then I kinda fell off and I need to catch up.

It does!

Where were you 10 minutes ago?

It does!

Where were you 10 minutes ago?

Probably pooping

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    What I heard takes place in the latest Halo episode is so stupid I think it’s the kind of thing that the show will remembered for like the bad animation in the Philips CDI Zelda games.
    Master Chief sleeps with the covenant human on a halo ring or somewhere and Cortana has to watch because she’s in his head, Cucktana

TexiKen on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think the new Orville season has Norm McDonald's voice acting before he died.
    I don't know if they will write out his character or kill him off.

TexiKen wrote: »
    What I heard takes place in the latest Halo episode is so stupid I think it’s the kind of thing that the show will remembered for like the bad animation in the Philips CDI Zelda games.
    Master Chief sleeps with the covenant human on a halo ring or somewhere and Cortana has to watch because she’s in his head, Cucktana

50% right

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Good Lord that trailer for Orville looks fucking great

I am in the business of saving lives.
This discussion has been closed.