As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

1434445464749»

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    My favorite comment was the guy who said he played 5 and liked it, but didn't get a chance to play the previous games. He's been missing out.

lolwut? It guess the youTube rule applies here. "Don't read the comments!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    Wow that was the fastest purchase I've ever made.

$10 as opposed to $50 on ebay.

Heck yes.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    :^: great job Rucio

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    Good news, everyone! GoG is releasing Quest for Glory, the whole series!

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/quest_for_glory

Sorry I haven't posted a set the past 10 days or so, I've had a not-so-funny last couple weeks, and haven't been in the right mindset to make things funny.

I've been waiting for this for too long.

Since I've been lurking all up in this thread forever, good job everyone and your playthroughs. At nine, seeing how you could mix point and click standard adventure with a skill leveling system, it blew my mind. QfG1 still stands as one of my fondest gaming memories.

So, thanks for reminding me about the glory.

• Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    Aaand caught up now with a Paladin. This makes me really appreciate this LP. I wouldn't know where to start!

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Well thanks to this LP, I want to go play this series again (okay I've only actually played 1 and 2, so sue me). Actually I was thinking about this game, and made a thing, then somebody pointed me at this and now I'm wasting soooo much time reading it. Good stuff. I really missed these games.

Also here's a thing:
    tumblr_m46fw0DwlY1rq34lfo1_1280.jpg

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Jim is just about ready to be done with his six-week bender at Salim's place.

It would be tonight, but imgur is down right now, so I can't upload the screens. So...tomorrow!

Apologies for the break, but personal stuff was going on that was making me not feel very funny as a result. So now I feel refreshed, and ready to push through to the end of this series.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    S'all good, man. We all need down time.

• Options
    The journey continues anew!

Magic User 69 - The Road to Gnome Ann's Land

ifTzk.pngHoly shit. Why do I feel like I just got off a six week bender?

RXDYI.png

ifTzk.pngOh, right. Salim. I need to get out of here and clear my fucking head.

aJ6c8.png
    sCnoI.png

ifTzk.pngOkay, what was I even doing again?

To Do:
    - Figure out who assassinated the King of Silmaria, and why
    -- Check out docks for info on assassin...poisoned daggers?
    - Enter the arena to beat fighters senseless, via Dead Parrot Inn
    - Enter the Rite of Rulership for 1000 drachmas
    -- Have: 205
    -- Become King
    -- Rites won't start without 5 entrants, so I'm holding it up until I enter
    - Find magical wood....again
    - Look for scales of a dragon for fireproof potion
    - Look for Pegasus feathers for vitality potion

ifTzk.pngUgh, I haven't even finished exploring the town yet. Anything else in this town square?

RtTEi.png
    hdkyk.png

ifTzk.pngAhh, that looks like a shop I missed. They'd better have something useful there.

6d5qF.png

ifTzk.pngJust give me the abridged version. I lack patience. What do you have, and why do I need it?

jvwwi.png

ifTzk.pngKeep it simple, stupid. What are amphorae?

WcI8O.pngAn Amphora is a Grecian urn. It is used to carry liquids of all varieties.

ifTzk.pngSo it's a fancy pants waterskin. Great. Tell me you have something useful here.

QTPko.png

ifTzk.pngA map? Why didn't you just say so in the first place? And you think it's worth 50 dinars? That's cute. You can have 44 and be grateful you still have a shop.

WcI8O.pngThis is very, very good. We have made an agreement which we both agree upon.

+5 Buy Map from Wolfie (40)

ifTzk.pngI think we're all just very happy you could be of use, Wolfie. Anything else in here?

hrbKF.png

ifTzk.pngGuess not. Time to move on to the western part of town, see what I can find there.

6FWYQ.png

ifTzk.pngThis place is really hopping, eh?

Uy0yL.png

ifTzk.pngThis enormous building is the new Dead Parrot? Ferrari must be raking it in out here. What was so special about this place again?

To Do:
    - Enter the arena to beat fighters senseless, via Dead Parrot Inn

ifTzk.pngWell, I do have a pressing urge to hurt something with Flame, Force, Frost, Lightning, and BOOM. Because hey, why skimp?

5cICc.png

ifTzk.pngThis "deserted lodge" motif really doesn't do it for me. Hello? Anybody home?

LnNsb.png

ifTzk.pngAnybody home that doesn't speak moon language?

6BXOO.png

ifTzk.pngHi there...pink pirate. Explain to me your purpose, so I can weigh whether you'd be more fun as target practice how I can best hero the shit out of you.

FR9Yf.pngI be Arestes, a retired seaman, as it were.

ifTzk.pngMaybe I gave off the wrong initial impression, but I'm really not interested in your seaman, retired or not. Do you have any useful information?

FR9Yf.pngRumors is it, you want to be knowing? Well, matey, dead men tell no tales -- nor do I.

ifTzk.pngA simple "No, I am useless." would suffice in the future. I'll let you live leave you be for now, then. Anyone else here speak...my language?

uDoKY.png

ifTzk.pngNow this is more my style and language. You ladies live around here often?

9dQTt.pngIt's a pleasure to meet you. Speaking of pleasure...

ifTzk.pngYou certainly waste no time. I like that. I'm Jim Darkmagic, Hero of Spielburg, Prince of Shapeir, Doom of Tarna, Light of Mordavia, and future King of Silmaria. You could get in with me on the ground floor now, and the sky's the limit.

9dQTt.pngSo we have met before...I thought so. I'd never forget your ... face.

0axeB.pngNawar and I come from Raseir, where the desert sand is hot.

ifTzk.pngReally? I don't remember you before...I mean, it must have been someone strikingly similar to me, but slightly more sneaky. I'm here now, though, and that's all that counts.

0axeB.pngThe Dead Parrot Inn is the place to visit if you'd like a little nip now and then.

9dQTt.pngI know I like to nip every once and awhile.

0axeB.pngOh, you can gamble on combat or skill or on love, if you like.

9dQTt.pngI know which I'd like.

ifTzk.pngThat sounds exactly like what I need. I'll go check out the arena gambling.

9dQTt.pngCome back soon. I can't wait to see your ... um, smile again.

ifTzk.pngThis is officially my new favorite place.

HLdau.png

ifTzk.pngUp here for the arena gambling?

36jZH.png

ifTzk.pngAhh, this looks promising. Now to throw my hat into the...

u1tj3.png

ifTzk.pngHuh, booked solid for four days, and it costs the rest of my money to enter? Maybe I'll just watch the match tonight, just to see what kind of competition I'm up against in these Rites.

Kokeeno vs. Abduel tonight. I remember Abduel from the arena before, but I don't think I've met this Kokeeno yet. Wonder if he's worth an honest effort. To the arena!

b6to1.png

ifTzk.pngYep, I need to start making money soon.

GZoF5.png

ifTzk.pngThis looks like a good seat.

Y0hbE.pngMy greetings to all of you. Welcome to the arena and tonight's spectacle of deadly combat. I, Ferrari, am your host for these events. As you know, the combatants may choose the style of combat they prefer. They will fight in deadly earnest to bring their opponent to his knees.

ifTzk.pngReally hoping "phenomenal cosmic power" is an available choice when it's my turn.

Y0hbE.pngTonight, the champion of this contest is someone most of you know. He has served the city of Silmaria for many years as a guard. He has proven himself to be valiant and brave. Ladies and gentlemen, I call to battle Kokeeno Pookameeso.

ifTzk.pngShit, they've already got a local hero? I've got some work to do before this place glorifies me. That's hardly fair.

uVnmg.png

ifTzk.pngLooks like any other guard to me. Guess the art department couldn't afford to splurge on unique models.

Y0hbE.pngOur champion is challenged by the finest of fighting guards from the city of Raseir. I summon to battle Abduel.

uMShG.png

ifTzk.pngHit him in the balls face, Kokeeno!

Y0hbE.pngMay the contest begin!

Cl9ZV.png

ifTzk.pngA spear and a sword? I can end everyone's misery in seconds, here.

g0yq2.png

ifTzk.pngKokeeno may win. I may have underestimated him a bit. It might take a minute to beat him.

vQARf.png

ifTzk.pngAbduel may collapse from exhaustion at this rate before the fight ends.

joAlZ.png

ifTzk.pngYep.

Y0hbE.pngThe victor of arms at this contest is Kokeeno Pookameeso.

ifTzk.pngWell, the bar has been set. It's pretty low.

UHPaA.png

ifTzk.pngDark, too. Time to find this Gnome Inn, I suppose.

SGloW.png

ifTzk.pngNothing here. Perhaps further west?

9n8wl.png

ifTzk.pngThat's not it either. Running out of town here...

REuXc.png

ifTzk.pngThis looks...gnomey.

5PzIL.png

ifTzk.pngYep, this must be it. At least they have chairs my size. She thought of everything!

iy3EU.png

ifTzk.pngThat's right, I'm way out in Gnome Ann's Land. Kill me now.

AUatR.pngKalifornia, or whatever it is they say around here.

ifTzk.pngYou mocked the language. I think I like you.

AUatR.pngWant to get to know me a little better? I'd sure like to get to know you.

ifTzk.pngI'm sorry, I'm already spoken for...I'm sure. I'm Jim Darkmagic, world renowned Hero. I believe I have a reservation.

AUatR.pngOh, so you're the guy the chatting rat made arrangements for? Cheesed to meet you. As my first, and only customer, I'll let you have the best room in the joint.

ifTzk.pngThat sounds...ominous. Maybe I'll just sit down a bit to relax.

82JKC.png

ifTzk.pngBut what if I'd actually like to eat?

AUatR.pngHey, you better watch your weight. You eat too much. You should be going on a diet.

ifTzk.pngI'd better just go to my room now, before this place mysteriously burns itself down.

AUatR.pngIf you want to get into your room or the Inn late at night, you'll need a key. Here you are.

ifTzk.pngHey, now I don't have to put up with your shit at all anymore. Thanks!

Wj0Bb.png

ifTzk.pngFinally, a nice, soft bed to sleep in...

EKAG5.png

ifTzk.pngA gnome sized bed. That's it, time to "train" up some Flame Darts...

fMLUX.png

ifTzk.pngThis room is surprisingly non-flammable.

You are so exhausted that everything you do hurts. You must get some rest soon or your own effort will kill you.

ifTzk.pngCan't go getting myself killed on the first day, now, can I? Oh well, maybe if I curl up I can fit on there...

Ecp1S.png

ifTzk.png...close enough. Tomorrow, I need to learn more about the other contestants.

Points tally (starting from 35):
    +5 Buy a Map from Wolvie
    Total: 40 points out of 500

9RR7Y.png
    X1liB.png

• Options
    HammerlockHammerlock Registered User regular
    Gnomes. Why did it have to be gnomes.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yay! Thread's back!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Hahaha, gnomes.. Considering I'm playing a gnome in a Pathfinder game and the butt of many jokes in the game, I especially enjoy the gnomes. :)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    So uh... this is kind of awesome: http://mashable.com/2012/09/17/hero-u/
    by the way, any chance that this will continue? I really like this Let's Play.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I have not abandoned this one, it's just been a really crazy several months of life. Nothing bad, just...busy.

As for a Cole-based kickstarter? YES PLEASE.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I have not abandoned this one, it's just been a really crazy several months of life. Nothing bad, just...busy.

I'm actually a little unsure about it. It sounds like you won't be able to choose your character class, preventing all the cool stuff that arises from being able to solve puzzles in multiple ways.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

I'm actually a little unsure about it. It sounds like you won't be able to choose your character class, preventing all the cool stuff that arises from being able to solve puzzles in multiple ways.

Yeah that surprised me too. They also have a fixed name and backstory, so you can't write your own narrative (like in this Let's Play). But they did make it sound like you'd still have a lot of freedom of action.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Corey Cole put up the Kickstarter page this morning: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/1154477367?token=e777beb1

KS still has to approve it, but he's got a preview video and reward tiers up, and is looking for suggestions for improvement before it launches.

EDIT: Now approved and running.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    Corey and Lori Ann did a huuuuge AMA on Reddit tonight: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/12f8ip/ask_corey_and_lori_cole_anything/

And I can't believe that I never noticed the QFG world, Glorianna, was a play on Lori Ann's name.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm undecided about the kickstarter. On one hand, QfG! on the other, brawesome's other games are...not award winning

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I can't believe it had a name.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Corey and Lori Ann did a huuuuge AMA on Reddit tonight: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/12f8ip/ask_corey_and_lori_cole_anything/

And I can't believe that I never noticed the QFG world, Glorianna, was a play on Lori Ann's name.

Hmm so one of the things they say in that is that they didn't want to make a point and click style game because it would cost at least a million dollars to make. Is that really true? They said that it cost Sierra about $500,000 in the 90's to make their games, equivalent to $1 million in 2012 dollars. I would have thought that, if anything, improved technology could bring the cost down. I guess the artwork would still be a major block, but the programming would be a lot easier.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well, I mean, they are using the guys who made jolly rover, so they know how much that cost to make. Even though it was way simpler than Sierra adventure games (and kinda sucked). Also, it seems like they view VA as essential, which is a big money sink

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Well, I mean, they are using the guys who made jolly rover, so they know how much that cost to make. Even though it was way simpler than Sierra adventure games (and kinda sucked). Also, it seems like they view VA as essential, which is a big money sink

Yeah I'll take their word for it, seeing as how they've made games before and I haven't. It just seems weird to me.

Does VA have to cost a ton? I mean sure, if you get celebrities to do it that costs a lot, but surely you could find some good amateurs who would do it cheaply or even free.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah I'll take their word for it, seeing as how they've made games before and I haven't. It just seems weird to me.

Does VA have to cost a ton? I mean sure, if you get celebrities to do it that costs a lot, but surely you could find some good amateurs who would do it cheaply or even free.

Voice actors are all in a union, so there's a minimum pay for them. and you can't use amateurs for a commercial product.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind the graphics need to look better (waaaay better) than they did in the 90s. That doesn't just mean high resolution backdrops, it means character models with today's standard of animation, which is a huge amount of work regardless of whether they end up going for 2d or 3d (games like Torin's Passage and King's Quest VII were expensive). And the new technology and fidelity also bring with it much more intensive testing cycles, which costs both money and time.

• Options
    Quest-for-Glory-4-2.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Awhaaaaaaaa?

• Options
    That's one of the game over scenes from QfG 4

(It's my subtle way of asking if this really is completely dead or not)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh, I thought it was you volunteering to take up the torch, as it were.

• Options
    It has been too long.

The series must be completed.

• Options
    There is a hole in my life, that can only be filled by this being finished.

Or maybe more cowbell. I'm still undecided.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yes, this was truly one of the best Let's Play's. It must be revived.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm bumping this thread! This is really dumb of me to do, since I never actually finished this LP (my life got turned upside down and I ended up getting divorced, but am remarried and much happier now).

But I caught this video on Quest For Glory I speedruns and it made me so happy. The quest to beat the first game in under a minute put a stupid grin on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcF4n398-Bg

Sorry I abandoned this :#

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sierra adventure games seem like the most ridiculous genre to do a speedrun in, but this guy's videos are super entertaining. Loved all the silliness people did in KQ3 to manage the randomness and skip having to fight the wizard.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I ended up binging all of their stuff over the course of a day a few months back, I love how different the ways of breaking each game are once they're really cracked open.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah I laughed my ass off when runners figured out a way to skip an entire section of KQ6 by playing the special award bait song in the menu

Simultaneously kickass and funny as hell

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Wow, has it really been 10 years?

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Somehow I also went down a QFG speedrun rabbit hole recently. I got to watching lets plays of the old conquest series (Longbow and Camelot), which told YouTube's algorithm that what I must have been truly missing in my life was speedruns. They are definitely amusing. They scratch the itch a bit, but I hate how much of the game they (very necessarily) miss. Speed runners are one of those internet communities that I don't understand at all but still love that they're out there.

Still, that QFG music haunts me a bit. Those first few bars of music with that snare drum.... I'll probably let the nostalgia yearning build a little more and then do another run through, maybe as a thief.

• Options
    Heroine’s Quest is really really good, and free on Steam, if you need to scratch that itch