As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Not having even a single chaos dwarf taskmaster type in the Hashut squad is pretty weird, but I guess the Dawi-Zharr don't want to hang with the riff-raff.

Took my DoK our for a spin for what I'm guessing is probably gonna be their last game under the 2.0 book. I know Morathi and the Snakes is the name of the game right now for the most part, but there's still gas in the melee buff pain train that's so much fun to pull off.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So the Gossamid Archers Warscroll leaked.

Very fragile but very hard for melee armies to handle due to a 2+ ability retreat after being charged, 2” coherency, d3 mortal wounds on a 6 to hit but a similar profile to crossboos. 12” range, 3+, 3+, no rend and 1 damage.

It’s interesting but at 215 points I don’t know if I would ever take these - a 5+ save is just very low for that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    There also seems to have possibly been a leak of the contents of the next battle box (Sylvaneth vs Skaven):
    The Lady of Vines
    The Spirit of Durthu (Treelord/Treelord Ancient)
    Kurnoth Hunters (3)
    Gossamid Archers (5)

Deathmaster
    Screaming Bell (Plague Furnace/Grey Seer/Plague Priest)
    Stormvermin (10)
    Clanrats (20)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So two things about that Mortal Realms lore thing from yesterday. Firstly, while Warhammer Fantasy certainly didn't shy away from the skull motifs and that kind of thing, I feel like it wasn't as much of a thing for the Empire as it was for the Imperium? I might be misremembering, but I thought it was much more subdued, and the way they've presented icons and symbols makes me think they want to like 40kify the culture of the Cities of Sigmar, if that makes sense. The second thing is sort of contradictory because of the name, but I wish there was slightly less focus on Sigmar. Or at least, the focus on Sigmar makes me worried it's just going to be the Empire 2.0 basically. I like the Empire and I certainly don't want them to not make an updated Empire style faction, but I feel like it would be interesting if they maybe tried to go for more diversity? Like, have Bretonnian type stuff and Tilean and Estalian type stuff etc. etc. One of the big groups that apparently survived to colonize the Mortal Realms after the End Times were all those people the Lady of the Lake shepherded in that Pocket Dimension right? I can't remember if she ended up dying from that or not (but I mean she's a god she could come back) but like, the Bretonnians and Lake Guard (or w/e they were called and Prophetesses) etc. would theoretically have made a big impact on the development of human culture in the places they settled in right?

I also am kind of hoping, probably in vain, they use this opportunity to pay off some of the hinting and wink wink nudge nudging they did in Lore and start bringing back the old Warhammer gods. I want Ulric and Myrmidia and Shallya etc. back. I like that humans had all these different interesting gods in lore. So far it very much feels that every faction is basically monaltristic or henotheistic, it feels like most groups have their one god they worship and that's it. I want them to bring back real fantasy polytheism to Age of Sigmar godsdamnit!

I especially want Myrmidia back *grumble grumble*

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The fate of the elves and bretonnians in that pocket dimension is still unknown and I would love to have them return as their own faction. Something like an army based on the Green Knight concept.

For cities of Sigmar it would be really great if there were mixed units with elves and dwarves and humans in them or maybe at least some non-human units but with a common design language. But it's probably going to focus on human Empire 2.0 - the grimdarkening, just judging from the over the top artworks we got for those Sigmarite crusades at the start of the edition.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The crusades are definitely grimdark. They send a legion of flagellants ahead of them at all times to pre-consecrate the ground with their blood IIRC.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I think AoS overcorrected quite a bit after some of the criticism at the start that it was too high fantasy and bright with the stormcasts looking like actual good guys and such. Now everyone on the order side is some kind of fascist/murderer/slaver/genocider etc.

• Options
    If Gossamids can be reinforced to battleline levels, albeit it would be 600ish points, they are going to be a *nightmare* for melee armies.

mes73cw70lct.png

12 damage into a 2+ save and then if you try to charge them, they have a decent chance of dealing another 11 wounds then escaping on a 2+ to annoy the devil out of you again. With Alarielle's very powerful tablewide healing of Sylvaneth units and the new dragonfly cavalry - which apparently has a variant that can heal - this could be really really ugly for a melee army without a good way of shooting them down.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I think AoS overcorrected quite a bit after some of the criticism at the start that it was too high fantasy and bright with the stormcasts looking like actual good guys and such. Now everyone on the order side is some kind of fascist/murderer/slaver/genocider etc.

It feels like they’re now trying to match the grim of 40K but it feels forced; I quite liked things being a bit more optimistic in AoS.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    When AoS launched I hoped they'd try to get some more cross-faction balance and not have the Protagonist Faction that gets All The Cool Stuff like marines in 40k, but here we are again.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    If Gossamids can be reinforced to battleline levels, albeit it would be 600ish points, they are going to be a *nightmare* for melee armies.

Closer to 650 points for 15, and that's assuming they can get battleline status, which is no guarantee. They look potent, but with short range and very low defences they'd have to be potent to be worthwhile, if high power shooting is going to continue being a part of the game I'd rather see more units like this than the truly safe long range shooters we have currently.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    When AoS launched I hoped they'd try to get some more cross-faction balance and not have the Protagonist Faction that gets All The Cool Stuff like marines in 40k, but here we are again.

To be fair stormcast aren't as bad as space marines. They only get stuff at the launch of an edition.

In 8th space marines were getting new major launches damn near ever year including the launch of 9th.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    6zfc9g6ipf5n.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Though this thread lasted far less than the warhammer thread will it get recycled in time?

The gossmids or whatever they are called are high on my brother's list as he said the sylvaneth are starting to look like the wood elves of old in a way [the tres chic way of old taking glade guard and dryads with glade runners and a distracting large or big unit}
    Still I know one of the box breakers I deal with does break the AoS boxes and the hype ones a lot well past when you think they are out of print {I have no idea how he still has units from Shadow N pain week after week} So I will try to get a chunk of that rumored box since the Kurnoth are high on his list as well but as he said keep on the look out for them if you can get them cheap

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    With all the leaks floating around was there anything about a new chaos warrior warscroll?
    Will Chaos Warriors be good, finally? :(

I'm mildly apprehensive about a rebooted Cities of Sigmar because I hope they don't get rid of all the "generic" elves and dwarfs. Floaty dwarfs and shark elves and such are all well and good but sometimes you just need a regular dwarf with a big shield and a grumpy old dark elf riding a velociraptor

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm hoping we see more regular human models. In a setting filled with 8 foot tall golden armored immortal supersoldiers, steampunk blimp dwarves, soulless elves that live under the sea, space lizards who ride dinosaurs, ghosts, tree people, rat people, bone people, orks, trolls, goblins, vampires, demons, schizophrenic ghouls, dragons, snake women, cow elves, and literal giants it would be cool to see a bigger focus on regular human beings. In a universe filled with such extravagant creatures, I think it would be nice to see humanity holding its own.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a path to glory name generator I can use for my Skaven force?

I'm having trouble thinking up a name.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there a path to glory name generator I can use for my Skaven force?

I'm having trouble thinking up a name.

https://www.realmofplastic.com/hobby-blog/army-clan-name-generator-skaven

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    ooh apparently there's also a stronghold name generator too, if you're doing path to glory
    https://www.realmofplastic.com/warhammer/age-of-sigmar-3rd-edition-stronghold-name-generator

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Id love for Cities to stay this like motley group of random races all with their own heraldry and motif. Just a big collection of "sure we'll go fight"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    New Kurnothi Hunters leaked. For 255 points they do really unimpressive damage and have another FAQ worthy ability. Basically transmit AoA or AoD to another unit within 6” on 4+. It might trigger for each unit of Kurnothi - hard to say.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Id love for Cities to stay this like motley group of random races all with their own heraldry and motif. Just a big collection of "sure we'll go fight"

I’d honestly prefer if they came up with some unified heraldry that looked like it could be elven,depwarfish, or human. This isn’t the old world where most human cities haven’t been around long enough for an elf or dwarf to even consider them properly established, or that the same elves and dwarves have a strong living culture to “go back home” to - these peoples have been living/working together for many thousands of years, defending shared land from the monsters at the gates with no way “home” or even any idea if such a thing exists anymore. There should have been some cultural assimilation.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Most realistically, I think my main hope is that there remain a large enough variety of warscrolls to (continue to) do counts-as.
    Like, if i can have heavily armoured infantry, pokey spear infantry, a few flavours of shooty infantry, a few choices of cav and monsters and heroes i can probably make do with that.
    Sounds like it's a long way off regardless.

I also think that the new Cities book will have a whole new range, and most of the current Cities range will be repackaged into whatever The Old World turns out to be. Like, Dwarves and Dark Elves kits are all still really good and pretty comprehensive.
    Similarly, I bet most Firstborn Marine stuff will end up living as HH minis and 40k codex will increasingly go Primaris only.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    My hope for CoS was that we'd keep most of the same kits (wouldn't object to any being redone, but preferably in the same general style) but get "Realm upgrade kits", similar to the way 40k has the Space Marine Chapter upgrade kits.

So if you were from a City in Ghyran you could grab a couple Realm of Ghyran upgrade kits and use the bits present to unify the look of your Dispossessed, Freeguild, etc. (And no doubt these kits would also be popular with other armies too.)

• Options
    Packs of shields and banners would go a long way for unifying the look of CoS armies. I don't expect GW to release any upgrade packs that would need any cutting up of models which really restricts the possibilities as the different model lines are not designed to be interchangeable.

• Options
    So finally the Dok and Nighthaunt tomes are up for pre order this next week
    They finally have more Vanguard forces as well the Idoenth and Fireslayers
    6lov1aiy65bu.png
    v2qe8ego7ep8.png

I am still upset there is a new DoK army book just after a year with some minor? changes

• Options
    The complete lack of leaks or previews of it has me very worried it’s essentially a $90 tome celestial. Reviews will be next weekend!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I still can’t tell the difference between fyreslayer units in that picture in general.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I still can’t tell the difference between fyreslayer units in that picture in general.

some of them have TWO axes

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    ooh apparently there's also a stronghold name generator too, if you're doing path to glory
    https://www.realmofplastic.com/warhammer/age-of-sigmar-3rd-edition-stronghold-name-generator

Thank you for the links, both are definitely going to help with naming stuff.

Now I just need to get to painting my start Skaven army.

Running a group of 40 clanrats with spears, a group of 20 clanrats with swords, a grey seer, and 5 skryre acolytes. The grey seer and acolytes are already painted so I gotta paint the 60 clan rats.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

some of them have TWO axes

Gee Bill

• Options
  • Options
    As anyone could have predicted, only one new Skaven model in the entire box. Puts me off it entirely tbh.

I will definitely wait for a box breaker to get a Lady of Vines from it.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    As anyone could have predicted, only one new Skaven model in the entire box. Puts me off it entirely tbh.

I will definitely wait for a box breaker to get a Lady of Vines from it.

It is a debate for me as I am leaning to the box breaker to get the sylvaneth side + another set of the Gossamid Archers
    Or I could just get the box?

• Options
    The Skaven side isn't horrible for anyone wanting to kick off a Skaven collection, but not much value for folks who already have an army, though I suppose that's not unusual for the dual boxes, I can't say I've ever been all that impressed with that particular sales strategy.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I can't find a single person where I am who wants the Skaven from that box. Most of the Skaven players I know around here are either quitting the game, giving up on the army entirely or they don't want it as it's not worth it for one new miniature.

Nice job GW.

Hopefully I can get the Sylvaneth half off ebay or something. Otherwise with luck they'll release the Lady of Vines and Gossamids separately sooner than later.

Edit: No matter my personal opinion on the models, the rules for the bell are legitimate. Free Verminlord? Can be bodyguarded by stormvermin? Yes please.

Aegeri on
  • Options
  • Options
    Pretty juicy update for a unit literally made from spare parts from the Cauldron sprue. I was already finding the Avatar a surprisingly solid piece in the 2.0 book with the +1 to chanting rolls, so sure, I'll take more of the same with a 5++ baked in, sounds good to me. Might have to look around for any fun 3rd party replacement sculpts though, he does look pretty silly T-posing on his tiny 40mm base.

• Options
    T-POSE FOR VICTORY.

• Options
    Got the Skaven half of the nethermaze box through ebay but they didn't send the build instructions.

Hopefully I can find them pretty easy through Google.

This discussion has been closed.