As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Waterfowl dance is super frustrating because there is not really another attack in the game that requires the weird-ass dodge pattern to avoid

I love the fact that From put running away from people and jumping over AOE's as super effective defenses nobody ever uses.
    jumping over AoE's works like 30% of the time

It works for any AOE that doesn't raise up from the ground after the initial shockwave. The only things it can hit are your feet and arms.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Credits rolling... Man those last two bosses... I had to Respec to throwing sword str/arc to beat it. Also was nice cause I took breaks and beat most the other legends I could find. But even then needed favorable patterns and summons. No shame in summons though.

Did the Stars ending first dunno what to do next heh.

Best game I have played since RDR1 which is one of my top 3 all time.

Jubal77 on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    final boss
    I was really curious what this would look like from the way people were talking about it. I think this design's great. The cutscene, arena, and animations all really do a great job as selling it as this bizarre, alien thing. Like, it sings, and stars come out and the room unfolds into a space lake.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    At last, my arm is complete again:
    lbfzbsfjlsw2.jpg

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Santee claus?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Waterfowl dance is super frustrating because there is not really another attack in the game that requires the weird-ass dodge pattern to avoid

I love the fact that From put running away from people and jumping over AOE's as super effective defenses nobody ever uses.

It works for any AOE that doesn't raise up from the ground after the initial shockwave. The only things it can hit are your feet and arms.
    this is a lot of em

it feels very loosy goosy as a mechanic; it's hard to gauge where the vertical hitbox is gonna be on any given attack, then you gotta judge when your lower body is gonna be the right height, at the right time (which depends on your weapon stance btw), then the recovery is longer and fuck it i'll just gamble on the roll timing

there's probably a lot more i can jump but the game keeps punishing me for trying so i'll just keep not doing it

this is a lot of em

it feels very loosy goosy as a mechanic; it's hard to gauge where the vertical hitbox is gonna be on any given attack, then you gotta judge when your lower body is gonna be the right height, at the right time (which depends on your weapon stance btw), then the recovery is longer and fuck it i'll just gamble on the roll timing

there's probably a lot more i can jump but the game keeps punishing me for trying so i'll just keep not doing it

Not being able to judge is fair, as it was basically me trying to do them until I died or got it.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Christ though this game was exhausting to finish.
    thmuxzz0v72r.png
    Granted, it seems like I took longer than most so some of that may be on me.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm pretty sure I've got all of the Lucaria area done and am ready to to even moar north but decided to take the Greatsword show on the road again. Poor Renalla lasted like thirty seconds and half of it was just me enjoying the cutscene.

I found the Lion's Claw Ash of War after all that and this is my new favorite "go fuck yourself" button. Can't be stopped and hits like a truck. You just walk over and start smashing things to death like you've got a Mario Bros super hammer until you either run out of FP or they run out of health while not giving a single solitary fuck about having to learn anything about what you're fighting. I've been vaporizing the incidental bosses with this and it's just gross. I'm highly tempted to start burning upgrades on this thing unless someone cautions otherwise >_>

Also gave the first Bestial incantations a try and...eh? I'd much much rather just spend my FP screaming UNGA BUNGA and getting the job done much faster and with better attribute point focus.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't know if it's the recent buffs or what but colossal swords are nutso

nobody should be complaining about strength builds in pve

• KamarKamar Registered User regular

Strength/Faith is the strongest build for almost any weapon class, even most of the ones you might think of as being dex weapons. There are few exceptions.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So I found out that the Glintblade Phalanx Ash of War has a follow-up heavy attack like the Glintstone Pebble AoW. I slapped it on a greatsword and with one cast and a heavy follow up I stance broke the dragon in Mountaintops. Pretty pumped to see what that looks like when I upgrade the weapon to +24/25.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    NG+ Fire Giant down first try. I'm, like level 130 in NG+ and bosses are now completely piss easy.

I died a 4 times to Rykard because the fight was completely new to me and it took me that long to understand the spear.

It is going to be interesting when I get to Maliketh again.

*Glances at my level at 140, and just barely being in the Giants area*

Well that's good to know!

Zullie did a video on how the jump works, and how long you're invulnerable, and the invulnerability is much longer than a roll but it only seems to effect the torso and leg hitboxes, which are turned off when you jump until you land. If your arms are below the torso hitbox, they'll get clipped, which makes the jump less useful. There's weapons you can carry (I think the ones that rest on the shoulder when carried?) that raise the arms up slightly so the invulnerability covers slightly more of your character for longer.

Basically, it's finicky as hell, and would need some (constant) observation to figure out when to jump for avoiding things.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    There's weapons you can carry (I think the ones that rest on the shoulder when carried?) that raise the arms up slightly so the invulnerability covers slightly more of your character for longer.

This would explain why I've been getting away with some extremely stupid shit while abusing jumping attacks with my Greatsword.

I've been an Ultra Greatsword fan since Demon's Souls and the Elden Ring colossal swords are definitely the easiest I've had it and that's including me killing the final boss of DS3 in about fifteen seconds.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

It would be really creative if it worked consistently. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos now of other people here to understand where I went wrong, and the only way people dodged that attack consistently is by standing below her, unlocking the camera, and using that to dodge the first flurry by dodging around her => dodging at a 90° angle, then dodgign away from her during the second flurry, then again dodging towards her so so she zips past you and kind of just zaps around in weird directions afterwards during the third flurry.

And then everyone is using the jump attack to hit her when there's a window for it. Which just emphasizes the problem with bosses recovering too fast / being too fast in general and normal attacks being mostly infireor to jumping attacks in general.

Anyways, fight could easily be fixed by reducing the first attack flury duration. Takes a bit of effort since you have to tweak the animation etc. etc., but I think it's worth it since everyone just cheeses it anyways.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    NG+ Fire Giant down first try. I'm, like level 130 in NG+ and bosses are now completely piss easy.

I died a 4 times to Rykard because the fight was completely new to me and it took me that long to understand the spear.

It is going to be interesting when I get to Maliketh again.

*Glances at my level at 140, and just barely being in the Giants area*

Well that's good to know!

It 100% helps that I have a +10 Rivers of Blood, a weapon you only get just before you fight the Fire Giant.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Maybe I should go back and get a second Rivers of Blood?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

this is a lot of em

I know I kept trying to jump over Radagon's aoe front shockwave that looks extremely jumpable, and getting clipped for 60% of my HP, and eventually gave up and just started running.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited May 2022
    Pre-Maliketh NG+ Draconic Tree Sentinel
    1) Still a bag of dicks
    2) Dead in two goes.

That felt good.

EDIT: Maliketh is still a full bag of dicks. Including a death to the cleric phase (!) where I got trapped between the Cleric and a pillar and the camera went mental.

Alistair Hutton on

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I feel like you’re better off with an off hand that can buff your damage in some fashion.

I feel like you’re better off with an off hand that can buff your damage in some fashion.

Objectively you are correct. Or the axe that gives you FP back as you bascially only ever want to be using your special.

But.......

Two Rivers of Blood!!!!

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    This would explain why I've been getting away with some extremely stupid shit while abusing jumping attacks with my Greatsword.

I was wondering about that, because I started to notice the same thing in my current run.

Objectively you are correct. Or the axe that gives you FP back as you bascially only ever want to be using your special.

But.......

Two Rivers of Blood!!!!

That’s definitely a flex.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

But.......

Two Rivers of Blood!!!!

@bsjezz Hooked me up with a second Axe of Godfrey so I've been power stancing those and it's so much fun.

Still have to save the shield Crash for difficult fights, though.

I am in the business of saving lives.

But.......

Two Rivers of Blood!!!!

I tried it out. I got excited when I saw it turned the first L2 of Rivers of blood into a double slash but then the follow ups are all as standard and apit of despair opened in my soul.

In NG+ Maliketh news I summoned two dudes and we beat him up. Don't even feel a little bit bad. That's my first summons of this run. Every other boss else has been trivially easy. Banished Knights on the other hand are still poison to me - especially those wankers in Castle Sol.

I'm surprised you're at such low levels going through NG+, I was 150 exactly (convenient, since it's my build target) before the final boss without grinding or making use of gold feet or anything.

But.......

Two Rivers of Blood!!!!

I tried it out. I got excited when I saw it turned the first L2 of Rivers of blood into a double slash but then the follow ups are all as standard and apit of despair opened in my soul.

The ash defaults to your right hand weapon so dual wielding them isn’t going to change how that works.

edited May 2022
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'm surprised you're at such low levels going through NG+, I was 150 exactly (convenient, since it's my build target) before the final boss without grinding or making use of gold feet or anything.

Apparently completing the Souls game wildly under-levelled is my "thing". Did the same with DS1 and 2.

I'm not trying to do it. It's just I get very goal focused in the back third or so of the games. I'm looking to hit the finish line and I'm surely missing HUUUUUUUGE amounts of content to do so. I play sort-of-blind so I don't know what juicy weapons are out there so I've never had a goal of a build I'm aiming for when I play.

In NG I did Ranni's questline/ending, in NG+ I've done Volcano Manor but I mostly have stuck to the 'main' path. I'm not a careful player, I'm not turning over every stone on my way and I have left so many runes out there after deaths. I have ran past many more dragons than I have slain.

Alistair Hutton on

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I mostly just tend to spend my souls on titanite for upgrading a pile of weapons (most of which I don't actually end up using) just to try them out, in Souls games, so I tend to end up a bit underleveled, too. I think my first go at DS1 I ended at like level 70?

I actually ended up weirdly high leveled in Elden Ring, finishing at like 145, purely because I just never actually changed weapons in the entire game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    So yeah, take all my original complaints about boss difficulty in my original run with a pinch of salt because I was probably 20 or so levels below par for them all.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So yeah, take all my original complaints about boss difficulty in my original run with a pinch of salt because I was probably 20 or so levels below par for them all.

Well that’s fine because I always forget to have a great rune active so it’s like I’m down 40 levels

I forget Great Runes exist 99% of the time, which is basically the same as my first runs through other Souls games.

I'm sure eventually I'll get confident enough to just keep one permanently popped, like humanity/ember/etc.

Great Runes are frustrating because unless you're doing a lot of coop or winning pvp a lot because rune arc are... not rare exactly, but not easy to find around either.

It'd be nice if a boss kill activated your active rune.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Great Runes are frustrating because unless you're doing a lot of coop or winning pvp a lot because rune arc are... not rare exactly, but not easy to find around either.

It'd be nice if a boss kill activated your active rune.

I play offline, so I don't have the coop/pvp source but I've not had any trouble keeping great runes active. Rats are an infinitely respawning resource...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Isn't the drop rate from rats super low? I've killed hundreds of rats and I can count the number of rune arcs I've found on one finger.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I haven't used a great rune yet. I'm enough of a min-maxer to want to take the rune into account when allocating stats, but then my build won't work if I don't have it activated. Basically, I'm an idiot.

steam_sig.png
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    From the wiki it seems that the Rotten Winged Sword Insignia is better than Millicent's Prosthesis since the attack power multipliers are higher. Is that correct?

steam_sig.png
  • DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    From the wiki it seems that the Rotten Winged Sword Insignia is better than Millicent's Prosthesis since the attack power multipliers are higher. Is that correct?

I mean, probably.
    The Rotten Wnged sword is the quest reward for completing her long quest that ends with
    1. Killing an ulcerated rotten tree spirit in a pool of scarlet rot surrounded by a chasm
    2. Killing Malenia, the blade of Miquella
    While the other one you get for just straight up murdering the probably coolest npc to get her shinies?

Dibbit on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    And that's a wrap! Only thing left for me is 100% achievements. The final fights were really cool! I'm surprised I only missed 3 secret bosses, but then again, I spent 90 hours (!) on my first playthrough and indulged a lot in explorations, the leven designs were just wayyy too cool for just rushing through. Sadly missed one weapon and locked myself out of an ending, so I'll have to speedrun one more playthrough for all achievements, but I'm more than happy to go with a cheesy meta build to get that done quickly.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »

yes, one is harder to get than the other, and you can't get both in one playthrough. they do stack with each other however

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.