As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Too punishing. I kind of 100% now use the optional rule to unjam them, given that RACs don't suffer from jamming by default.

I also kind of hate that like, a long time ago, they changed it from rolling to hit with both shot to rolling to hit then rolling on the submunitions chart. That took potency away from improved-skill Gunnery MechWarriors.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm with Nips on both points.

IMHO jamming is a good mechanic, but without the optional rule it makes Ultras a little too risky.

Rolling each shot for RACs might be a bit much, and for HAGs it would be ridiculous (on the other hand I feel like as-is HAGs don't offer much vs LRMs, despite how conceptually cool they may be), but I don't think rolling the two shots for an Ultra is some terrible burden that needed to be turned into a cluster hits roll.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I assume ultras are that way because, conceptually, as a rapid fire weapon your pilot can only actually aim the first shot. And even if it lands, the second shot may not hit due to recoil throwing things off. So a single to-hit roll plus a cluster roll is a more "realistic" fit for the in-universe weapon mechanics than treating it as two separate aimed shots.

Though from a house rules standpoint I could see something like your cluster roll gets a +1 for pilots with gunnery at X or better due to them having not just better aim but better recoil control.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I mean, I get why it was changed; all multiple submunitions weapons now use the same rubric and table. The Ultras were, before the change, kind of an outlier in that regard. That's just sound game design to bring them under the same rules.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Was it changed? I don't have a copy of TRO 2750 handy but I've never heard of rolling separate UAC hits as anything except a house rule.

• Options
    Huh. So I went back and checked my old rulebooks, and you're right: As of its introduction in TRO:2750, the Ultra autocannon (UAC/5, only one of the time) has always rolled on the "Missile" chart for two submunitions. Wild!

I'm going to chalk that misconception up to being not quite a teenager at the time I was taught the rules (fucking thirty years ago, fucking hell), and being taught by someone using a house rule while learning at a convention. Ah, the innocence of youth, to believe wholeheartedly that your teachers are infallible.

Therefore I'll admit the error of my young ways on this point. I still think it's worth using the optional rules (that I frustratingly cannot find right this second) for unjamming Ultras though.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I...also don't think that's a real rule. Megamek has it as an option, as with rolling shots independently, but it's an unofficial rule.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    If there's not a printed rule for unjamming Ultras, I'm just going to hop in my coffin right now, as I'm clearly too old to remember what are real rules and what aren't anymore.

I swear I've read that text in a printed book somewhere, with my own eyeballs, within the last decade!

Nips on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Nips wrote: »
    If there's not a printed rule for unjamming Ultras, I'm just going to hop in my coffin right now, as I'm clearly too old to remember what are real rules and what aren't anymore.

I swear I've read that text in a printed book somewhere, with my own eyeballs, within the last decade!

you're not crazy because i swear those were the rules too along with optional unjamming. Went back through my old rules compendium, Maximum tech and the battletech master rules. They all say the same thing. missile cluster chart and cant find anything about unjamming.

maybe once the RAC unjamming rules came in we just kinda mashed em together. but i swear it was roll 2 attack for each shot

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Everything I have ever known is a lie.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Everything I have ever known is a lie.

It was Berenstein Bears, dammit!

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    oTFsChD.jpg

Just about done!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Important enough for a double post:

Catalyst store has Battlemats in stock... including an Aerospace pack (planetary invasion + deep space), hexless Alpha Strike pack (Alpine + Lunar) and mega-size Grasslands and Desert Airbase pack (holy shit it's expensive).

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm no Denada but I know a clever thread title opportunity when I see one

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Man, I really wish CGL had an option for just a flat featureless grass map with one side bank and one side hex. I love my massive mat, but something smaller to fit on 99% of the tables out there would be nice.

I haven't brought myself to cut my giant one in half yet

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Gagw1n4.jpg
    Starting left and going clockwise; Hunchback HBK-4G, Victor VTR-9B, Blackjack BJ-1, Jenner JR7-D

The Hunting Club

Originally formed to deal with hostile megafauna found on the snowy Periphery world of Patterson, the Hunting Club is also the de facto planetary militia. Lacking anything approaching army or even militia structure, the Hunting Club operates as an entirely ad-hoc unit with hunters coming together to deal with whatever problems that require their skills. Be it unusually aggressive megafauna or the occasional pirate raid, Hunting Club members are known for their rapid response.

Often employing large traps when hunting megafauna the Hunting Club uses these same tactics against pirates. In the case of would-be raiders the Hunting Club prefers these tactics as capturing an intact ‘Mech or other piece of equipment is considered quite the trophy to say nothing of the material value of such a prize.

The only commonality to Hunting Club members is the State mandated “Hunter’s Orange” paint scheme. The bright orange camo helps identify State Licensed Hunters. The camo is also used for safety reasons. Hunting Club members often operate alone and the bright orange color helps to prevent friendly fire or to make it easier to locate a missing hunter in Patterson’s perpetually snowy forests.

edit- More nerdry follows
    zzICmQt.jpg
    Flag of the Patterson State Compact

Patterson is a small independent Periphery world Spiwnard of the Federated Suns.

Mostly covered in taigas save for the more temperate equator, Patterson is a cold and typically snow covered world with a few, if frozen, inland seas.

Home to occasionally dangerous megafauna the inhabitants of Patterson make their homes in one of several semi-independent fortified city-states. The city-states are governed by the Patterson State Compact. A loosely organized confederation, the Compact’s primary purpose is to maintain trade and communications both on and off world for all city-states. The Compact also manages hunting licenses and membership for the Hunting Club, Patterson’s quasi-militia. Though the Compact provides no material support or funding, merely logistics.

The world boasts a modest population and a comparatively modest tech base. The primary industry of Patterson is mining and forestry. Cheap ores and lumber are regularly shipped off world to the Inner Sphere states. IndustrialMechs are a not uncommon sight while BattleMechs are few and almost exclusively owned by the small ruling class of Patterson. These ruling elite often spend their free time hunting the world’s most dangerous megafauna, animals quite capable of tearing apart most ‘Mechs if enraged, as such all are members of the Hunting Club. Poaching is a crime on Patterson that is severely punished.

Axen on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Well the Viper F is a HOOT. What a fun, dumb variant. Will run again.

• Options
    A game idea I've had, for an upcoming casual gathering: Battletech X Rocket League

So Team vs. Team, using Light and Medium class 'Mechs, trying to kick/push a "ball" into an opposing goal using Pilot Checks to navigate the "ball".

I'm going to allow for punching out early and respawns, so players don't get stuck in a gimped ride for more than a turn. I'm also probably going to stick to 3025 tech, just because the players are mostly casuals that have only played with me and my buddy once or twice before.

So hey, braintrust, what other ideas do you have to spice this sort of game up? Has anyone picked up PsuedoTech yet, and does it have anything worthwhile to steal for this game idea?

• Options
    You should absolutely bring in boost mechanics like Rocket League. Have hexes that give you boost charge, and let players burn it to move at 1.5x MP (optional sprint rule speed) for a turn.

Maybe have a rule that lets players use mechs with jump jets do sick aerial maneuvers.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Will there be shooting or no? If not, you might want to consider that designs that don't push the practical speed limits for their tonnage will be handicapped. Like, going up in tonnage gives more mass for physical attacks & more armor, so a 5/8 55-ton design has a reason to exist versus, say a Jenner, but a lot of 45 and 50 ton designs are 4/6, quite a few without jump jets even.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Yes, there'll be shooting. And as I'll be curating the available 'Mechs, I/we can fine tune the setup a bit.

• Options
    Good call on the curation!

• Options
    Maybe not a terrible idea to take a look at Blood Bowl.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The .de article confirmed the Big Scale game was just for funsies.

Sorry for dreams, happy for your bank account.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

its all for the best really

I know I have talked about it in yonder gunpla thread as I know there are people that would pay good hard earned money for gunpla quality battletech models
    I know gundam is not everyone's thing and I know a lot of the garage kits are dated or look lacking for the ones you can get of battletech
    The problems are that the license is shared between various companies, What mechs would they do for a first run? I feel the popular ones? and finally the scale as the mechs are not that big? so 1/35? As in that scale you open it up to dioramas

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Maybe not a terrible idea to take a look at Blood Bowl.

Does Blood Bowl have powerups? Despite it seeming silly, it's never struck me as "that" kind of game.

Some quick sketches for temporary powerups:
    Movement Buff (gives additional Walk MP)
    Targeting Buff (gives +1 to all weapon attack rolls)
    Power Kick (adds +X hexes to Kick The Ball, or bonus damage on a kick attack)

Here's some powerups from Rocket League, that I'm wondering if I can steal and rework to make sense:
    Disruptor (Forces your opponent to drive with constant boost)
    Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
    Grappling Hook (Pulls you toward the ball)
    Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
    Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
    Swapper (Changes positions on the field with your opponent)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    BB has, like, pre-match boosters that you can buy with cash given to even out team values and also long-term team buffs. Things like rerolls on movement, rerolls on injury rolls, things to make the crowd like you more, etc. then there are the player abilities, like being safer when tackling or throwing the ball, which might make decent pick-up powers.

• Options
    Alright, brain trust, I'm looking for some input/opinions.

I'm working on some arms for a Stormcrow Z, which contains an iATM-9 and an Improved Heavy Medium Laser. And a Lower Arm Actuator, which makes things fractionally more difficult. I'm trying to get a sense of what arrangement of objects looks good.

Here's a rough draft. iHML on top of the ATM box. The iHML is centered on the axis of the arm, and the ATM box is canted off-center to allow clearance for the leg beneath/beside it (hopefully!). What do y'all think?

oIlnhF4.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Looks pretty solid.

Is there a reason you don't want the missile box off to the side, like e.g. a Commando?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Looks pretty solid.

Is there a reason you don't want the missile box off to the side, like e.g. a Commando?

Mostly preference, I think. I like big launchers underslung more than having them on the outside surfaces, at least with a square launcher like this.

• Options
    Another option is you could make the launcher more rectangular (taller but narrower) move it up from where it is to fully replace the forearm and move the laser to mount on the side of the launcher. This might look more balanced with the current art stylistically with its lasers mounted on the side of the forearm.

• Options
    Another option is you could make the launcher more rectangular (taller but narrower) move it up from where it is to fully replace the forearm and move the laser to mount on the side of the launcher. This might look more balanced with the current art stylistically with its lasers mounted on the side of the forearm.

The mental hurdle I have with the idea of narrowing the ATM is that it's the 9-tube, and in every representation I can find it's square as you can get. Also, being it has the same weight and tonnage as a Clan LRM-20, I've used the box ears from the Timber Wolf to size it correctly. Which is also a square box. There's merit to the arrangement you bring up, though, so I'll keep noodling on it for now.

Meanwhile the techs managed to get another 'Mech ready to the field. Why stop with just a HAG-20, when you you can have a HAG-30?

Fap6VHCl.jpeg
    pVAC6gJl.jpeg

In other OTHER news, my Murder of Stormcrows continues to find ways to multiply....even if they're working from the barest of scraps.

2lAiBWWl.jpeg

Yes, that's the front half of a 'Crow torso. A tough challenge, to be sure.

uNDSWLNl.jpeg

It turns out, though, with enough techs, endo-steel, and booze, even the impossible can be made real.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Nips, depending on how rough of a draft that is, have you though about extending the laser about 50% or at least haveing it overhang the ATM by a bit on the front. Just so you don't have a plane where both weapons stop.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Nought wrote: »
    Nips, depending on how rough of a draft that is, have you though about extending the laser about 50% or at least haveing it overhang the ATM by a bit on the front. Just so you don't have a plane where both weapons stop.

Very rough draft!

I kinda don't like it when barrels extend out past coaxial launchers, so likely I'd shorten the laser barrel a smidge instead. Again, I'll noodle.

• Options
    Okay, Version B. Forearm ATM with side-mounted laser.

Sgi5cFUl.png

Opinions? Still a little worried about the ATM box impinging on the leg below the arm, but I probably won't be able to tell definitively until I dry-fit a printed part.

Version C. I realized that the ATM/iATM has integrated targeting electronics, which can be visible as a blister. So I thought I'd see how it looks side by side with the Heavy Laser.

9Sv5LKxl.png

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Okay, Version B. Forearm ATM with side-mounted laser.

Sgi5cFUl.png

Opinions? Still a little worried about the ATM box impinging on the leg below the arm, but I probably won't be able to tell definitively until I dry-fit a printed part.

Version C. I realized that the ATM/iATM has integrated targeting electronics, which can be visible as a blister. So I thought I'd see how it looks side by side with the Heavy Laser.

9Sv5LKxl.png

I like version c the most so far, but yes the box needs to be clear of the leg enough not to obstruct it, so you might want to think of a way to at least sanity-check it before actually printing up a piece.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Of the 3, I like the look of your C version best.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Would it look goofy turning the launcher a bit. Just 5-15 degrees could help with clearence.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Nought wrote: »
    Would it look goofy turning the launcher a bit. Just 5-15 degrees could help with clearence.

When I have clearance problems (like on all of those Stormcrows), I can usually cant the whole arm a few degrees outward to address the problem. I imagine I'll be doing that here as well.

• Options
    You can fit a LOT of light mech bullshit in 5k BV.

Flea with Stealth Armor? Check.
    Locust with AMS? Check.
    Razorback that runs at 7/11 with a Heavy PPC and four ER SLasers? Check.
    When the least interesting mech in the lance is the Hollander with the LB-10X, you know it's gonna be a lively game!

• Options
    That reminds me: I somehow still don't own a Hollander sculpt; it's been on my 2nd tier list for a while now, and I can't believe I haven't gotten one.

What do you guys think are the odds it'll be a part of one of the upcoming new Force Packs, or the Kickstarter in the fall?