As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I did it! All 200 albums down. Phew. It's hard to sort these out and I admit, I threw a lot of albums into a random part of the list. Top 20 should be good though.
    Steel Bearing Hand
    Hooded Menace
    Nekromantheon
    Tribulation
    Lucifer
    Suffering Hour
    Pharaoh
    Spectral Wound
    Bunker 66
    Nordjevel
    Cerebral Rot
    Stormkeep
    Yoth Iria
    Pestilence
    Warmoon Lord
    Necromantia
    Thron
    Seth
    Ninkharsag
    Craven Idol

Part of me wonders if I picked Steal Bearing Hand as my #1 just so I don't pick Hooded Menace and copy Auto but I stand by my choice. That album was rifftastic and its the type of album that makes me want to steal a guitar and start shredding. Amazing

That being said, I think my favorite part of 2021 was the amount of newish bands that brought back the classic black metal sounds (and not being derivative). I admit that I might have put Stormkeep and Ninkharsag on my list cause they scratched my Emperor and Dissection itch that I didn't know I had. There was also a good 20-30 more albums that I would have been happy with putting on my top 20, this stuff is hard!

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta sleep for 6 months

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    An awesome list! I think I own every one of those CDs except Ninkharsag, which I'll have to correct at some point. Steel Bearing Hand is a worthy choice for sure.

The packaging on the Stormkeep album is phenomenal, perhaps the best of the year; the only reason that one didn't crack my top 21 is because it didn't hold up for me for too many plays, whereas Warmoon Lord, also packing that 90s sound, really did. And Necromantia and Yoth Iria too in that scene's sound.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Yea, I can definitely see Stormkeep and Ninharsag sliding down over time, most of these were based on a single listen and those two albums brought me back to when I was a pimply teenager discovering black metal for the first time.

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    I believe the Warmoon Lord may have the best production of any black metal album I've ever heard. So glorious.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Carpenter Brut
    High on Fire
    Ulver
    . . .And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
    King Woman
    Primitive Man
    Soft Kill
    Blood Incantation
    Mizmor
    Wiegedood
    I death
    Year of No Light
    Frozen Soul
    Lord Buffalo

Are all the bands I would try to see on that bill

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Is this the first time Ulver has played in the US? Admittedly I haven't followed them closely over the last two decades or so, but I think I would have noticed if they had done a US tour during that time.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Carpenter Brut
    High on Fire
    Ulver
    . . .And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
    King Woman
    Primitive Man
    Soft Kill
    Blood Incantation
    Mizmor
    Wiegedood
    I death
    Year of No Light
    Frozen Soul
    Lord Buffalo

Are all the bands I would try to see on that bill

Sheeeit.

Monolord
    Satyricon
    Mgla

That's a solid metal line up.

And the pre-show with Midnight & Eyehategod.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So my girlfriend is a trained vocalist and her birthday is coming up mid-may. And somehow I managed to book her a private voice lesson with Einar Solberg. Pretty excited about it :)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    So my girlfriend is a trained vocalist and her birthday is coming up mid-may. And somehow I managed to book her a private voice lesson with Einar Solberg. Pretty excited about it :)

I jelly as hell.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    A there's a new Algorithm album coming.

https://thealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/data-renaissance

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    U4ZGiZ7.jpg

Sleep, Deafheaven, and GY!BE in a real grab-bag of a weekend festival.

• Options
    Anyone else read that as 'despacito all weekend long' and feel their mind recoil in horror?

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Is this the first time Ulver has played in the US? Admittedly I haven't followed them closely over the last two decades or so, but I think I would have noticed if they had done a US tour during that time.

They played one or two shows a few years ago, I think in SF or NY, can't remember now. They had several shows scheduled on the West Coast, including one in Seattle which I had tickets to, but they cancelled due to poor ticket sales as it wouldn't have been worth it for them financially. Was extremely disappointing but understandable.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'd love to see the setlist of what Ulver is going to perform. Their various stylistic phases have been so wide that I can't imagine they'd all jive together. I figure they'd probably go heavy on the synth pop stuff from the last two albums but I have no idea.

There are at least 40 bands on that fest that I'd love to see. I've seen the three headliners before but would love to see Mercyful Fate and Emperor again. But honestly I find festivals kind of exhausting, I always feel like I'm racing and pushing my way around and don't get the most enjoyment out of it like I do for normal, smaller shows. Whoever booked this one did an epic job though, no doubt.

autothrall on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'd love to see the setlist of what Ulver is going to perform. I figure they'd probably go heavy on the synth pop stuff from the last two albums but I have no idea.

Basically this yes. Check out their live album Hexahedron. I imagine it would be similar to that.

• Options
    Hmm, the new Mournful Congregation definitely lives up to their name.

https://youtu.be/zmlg_vpr7Y0

• Options
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cradle of Filth have parted ways with guitarist Richard Shaw and keyboardist/vocalist Anabelle Iratni. Their places are being taken by Donny Burbage and Zoe Marie Federoff. It sounds amicable.

https://metalinjection.net/news/breakups/cradle-of-filth-parts-ways-with-guitarist-keyboardist

I know "Cradle has line-up change" is about as unusual as "the sun came up this morning", but I'd loved the way Richard and Ashok had brought the twin-lead sound back to Cradle so well over the last few albums. Hopefully it'll still work just as well with Donny.

• Options
    New Haunt song. Haunt continues to sound like Haunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbK0Du2QTU4

• Options
    Also, it's bandcamp Friday.

I bought both versions of Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun on there so far.

• Options
    Another new Kreator track.

https://youtu.be/5REwYjaYKLk

• Options
    Man, those Kreator riffs are so lightning fast I was disoriented at first, also the use of her vocals is real interesting and doesn't get in the way like a lot of these beauty/beast matchups. Something quite unique for Kreator.

• Options
    Bought the new Hath album as well as something by a Zelda-influenced prog metal band called Master Sword as part of bandcamp Friday.

Also stumbled across the soundtrack to the Netflix show Clark, which is notable because Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth composed it. And a good amount of it sounds like something that would fit on a modern Opeth album, although it definitely goes a little further beyond what they would play. Some of later songs actually have him singing on it too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38EQvsJzZWU

• Options
    We need to start giving out Razzie-type awards for cover art. Because. I mean really.

45999-1.jpg

• Options
    We need to start giving out Razzie-type awards for cover art. Because. I mean really.

45999-1.jpg

Therion's got some pretty good bad cover art in their history. These two albums came out back to back:
    bgokrq06g88n.png

tkuj2a2w28n5.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    New Stray from the Path. That guitar tone is fucking tasty, how does he get a Strat to sound like that?

https://youtu.be/4bamaq5D3_Y

They continue to not like cops

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Therion's album covers really fell off after the first 3-4. I mean this one in particular rules (coincidentally it's also one of their best albums all around).

qr1qdlqqxvj8.jpg

autothrall on
  • Options
    Was just about to post that artwork. I'm not sure how you get from that to where we are now.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Was just about to post that artwork. I'm not sure how you get from that to where we are now.

It's like the reverse artwork evolution from Trivium

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I found the new Meshuggah LP in my local shop and the artwork is so 2003 nu-metal that I just couldn't pull the trigger.

On a different note, someone uploaded this 2013 documentary about the touring life of 3 Inches of Blood to Youtube:
    https://youtu.be/zP373Etm6zE

Kind of a blast from the past but I thought someone might find it interesting.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    We saw Borknagar and Rotting Christ in Baltimore last night. There were opening bands, but we missed most of them. Arrived at the end of Ghost Bath's set, but didn't really pay attention. Abigail Williams didn't interest me at all.

It was my first time seeing Borknagar in 22 years, which was cool. Sadly, the sound wasn't very good. The sound guy kept coming out of the booth to stand around where we were, with his hands on his hips. He did this at least once during every song. It never seemed to get to where it needed to be.

Rotting Christ fared better, but I'm not a super huge fan of them. My wife's a lot more into them.

Overall, a good time. Hopefully I didn't catch covid. I wore two masks and was definitely in the minority.

I might be going up there again this week for Amorphis, but we'll see.

• Options
    Couple of new stoner metal releases of interest.

A new album from Italian psychedelic stoner doom masters Ufomammut.

https://youtu.be/PyaRrk0wD8g

Wo Fat is back with more of their trippy stoner metal/blues mix. More riffs than you can shake a bong at.

https://youtu.be/aO8Vg-SbPbQ

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Oooo, I thought Ufomammut were still on hiatus. Excellent!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Man, I'm really enjoying all the new symphonic black metal bands that are popping up. Absolutely loving this

https://youtu.be/O_Ok-q4gppI

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    Got tickets to Maryland Deathfest! Coincidentally, they also published the set times:
    jqc0zy6xjn6t.png

We've got the 3-day pass to the Edison Lot only, which is fine. Not much I want to see at the other venues aside from Sacramentum. Day 1 I definitely want to catch Bloodbath, Suffocation, Obituary, and Carcass. Day 2? Novembers Doom, Coroner, and Dismember. Can't miss Hypocrisy on day 3; will probably also catch Demilich and see whatever else catches my interest. I only acquired Legion by Deicide, so I'll probably stick around for them too.

• Options
    Bloodbath just announced they're cancelling that set and the whole NA tour, unfortunately. They couldn't get their visas in time. :(

• Options
    This one's hitting nearby in June, I think I might go the Friday night for Riot City and Glacier. I can't do both unfortunately.

5994lot2m5t5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.