As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I’m assuming just based on the thumbnail and bahamut’s reaction that the video is a troll.

It has some questionable scale mistakes yeah

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah I watched that a couple days ago. It is pretty, uh, questionable on a lot of the measurements. Especially at the lower end. Escaflowne and Gurren Lagan being 8m is just wrong.

Also Mechwarrior mechs have never had an official height so even including one is a huge oversight.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    The thumbnail is a troll but the video itself is accurate to the stated measurements.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Lease if this embeds right...

Because damn, do I want this kitbash... Or the skill to make it myself.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdgfXNtb/

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I’m assuming just based on the thumbnail and bahamut’s reaction that the video is a troll.

no, although there are some parts I question the accuracy of, I just happened to go on a little tirade about that specific video in the youtube thread a few days ago.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah I watched that a couple days ago. It is pretty, uh, questionable on a lot of the measurements. Especially at the lower end. Escaflowne and Gurren Lagan being 8m is just wrong.

Also Mechwarrior mechs have never had an official height so even including one is a huge oversight.

Nah Escaflowne’s around 8 Meters:
    Escaflowne is a mainly white Guymelef, measuring at 8.2 costa (8.09 meters) and weighing 7.5 peizo (7.6 metric tons). In dragon mode, it is 13.5 costa (13.32 meters) in length.

Remember that like, the lower portion of a Guymelef’s head is where the pilot’s head goes to look out, sort of like what they regularly do in Patlabor, unless shit’s really flying, when you operate an Ingram [which is similarly sized]

Those things really don’t have a lot of room in them, and lean into the armor aspect more than the mech aspect in that way

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

IIRC there was a Clan mech recognization chart which did give exact heights for the original 16 omnimechs, and the height they used for the video matches it.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    The thumbnail is a troll but the video itself is accurate to the stated measurements.

Yeah, the video is much better but that thumbnail I was losing it at the notion a pacific rim jaeger was taller than Gunbuster.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Finally got some time with the in-laws keeping the kid overnight. Not shabby for the thing sitting in my basement for over twenty years.
    524bz1hp4x0e.jpg
    6t7mu4bvoxw1.jpg

The cloak is... not in great shape. Been siting in the box too long I think, it barely held together so away it went. Still, that was fun!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Coming soon to P-Bandai…the Neo Zeong. :o

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

They're also doing a free shipping promo coupon.
    https://p-bandai.com/us/cont/springdeals2022?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=pb_owned_nl&utm_campaign=20220508

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lacus took about 3-ish hours:
    bh2ubbbir4wn.png
    Welcome to the idol squad!
    oyu4x6b7bfph.png

(Sorry Astray, off to the back with you.)
    tkwxlehbjds1.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    Lacus is definitely one of Bandai's better attempts at doing human characters, though Koto is still ahead of them. I got her with the idea of arming her with a bunch of Gundam weapons, but she doesn't come with any holding hands so that plan didn't work out. It also feels kind of cheap on Bandai's part to only include one printed face and waterslides for the rest when the 30MS kits come with printing for all three face parts.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    MelonTron wrote: »
    Lacus is definitely one of Bandai's better attempts at doing human characters, though Koto is still ahead of them. I got her with the idea of arming her with a bunch of Gundam weapons, but she doesn't come with any holding hands so that plan didn't work out. It also feels kind of cheap on Bandai's part to only include one printed face and waterslides for the rest when the 30MS kits come with printing for all three face parts.

I think the intention here is that folks who want to paint their own faces will have an option to do so. But it could also be cheapness.

Also, your Strike Rouge pose is just giving me huge "dad cutting the turkey" energy.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Most things I've seen regarding the Figure-Rise Standard girls indicate they're lacking in fine engineering and options, especially the girl from that Borderline show.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Store got in an MG Crossbone Full Cloth.

I saw a post saying it's built on the F91 frame? And it doesn't look like the core fighter comes out in any way... Hmm.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    The MG Crossbone Full Cloth came out in January 2007 and the F91 was May 2018, so I doubt it. It's based on the 2006 Ver Ka (which is a great kit), so the core fighter is removable.

• Options
    Oh cool. Found a review, seemed fairly cool. Probably not cool enough to add to my backlog though. =/

• Options
    /
    ArcSyn wrote: »

They're also doing a free shipping promo coupon.
    https://p-bandai.com/us/cont/springdeals2022?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=pb_owned_nl&utm_campaign=20220508

OH GODDAMMIT.

Bastards couldn't have done this while I was employed huh?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Heffling wrote: »
    The MG Crossbone Full Cloth came out in January 2007 and the F91 was May 2018, so I doubt it. It's based on the 2006 Ver Ka (which is a great kit), so the core fighter is removable.

Don’t forget, that F91 from 2018 was a 2.0 kit; I had to check since I got the first iteration years after it came out but the F91 1.0 according to Dalong came out in 2006.

It’s not a bad kit but I always feel the arms are way finicky for an MG and I kind of worry they’ll break at teh elbows or something. Not sure how much different the Crossbone is if they’re using the same base frame though

EDIT: checking Dalong for the base Crossbone Ver. Ka, the legs, arms and hip seem like they might be teh same, but the torso is a new assembly with no inner frame thanks to needing to incorporate how the core fighter works

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nice catch! I didn't know they parts in common. The MG Crossbone Ver Ka is in my top ten list, albeit towards the lower part, out of over 100 master grades built.

*edit* I counted 109 total built, with 7 of those being non-Bandai kits.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Can I ask what your top 10 MGs are?

• Options
    What do you guys use/recommend for a small tool case. I should probably think about upgrading from the cardboard box I currently keep things in before throwing a godhand in there when I eventually pull the trigger on one. I thought this looked decent, but concerned about stuff rattling around and rubbing together which seems like a bad idea for sanding stones and sticks.

EASTHILL Big Capacity Pencil Pen Case Office College School Large Storage High Capacity Bag Pouch Holder Box Organizer Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6G9XX5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_E6HWYMZVJWJRCWNCJ603

Stuff I'm looking to store:
    4 markers
    Knife
    3 tweezers
    4 sanding stone sticks
    2 sanding sticks
    Polishing foam block
    Glass file (has a plastic case)
    Nippers

I've got duplicates of a bunch but obviously don't need to keep it all together.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Do you plan on traveling much? For home use, I use something like this:

813tFHooODL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Honestly the few times I went somewhere to build Gunpla, I always just grabbed the whole organizer and the kit I wanted to build.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Gunpla bath salts that come with a tiny kit you can assemble in them.

There’s also a couple of variants of the entry grade strike gundam that come with them I wouldn’t mind having.

• Options
    Do you plan on traveling much?

Honestly the few times I went somewhere to build Gunpla, I always just grabbed the whole organizer and the kit I wanted to build.

I have no work space, just the dining room table, so need to be able to clean it up and pack it away without them spilling all over.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

Gunpla bath salts that come with a tiny kit you can assemble in them.

There’s also a couple of variants of the entry grade strike gundam that come with them I wouldn’t mind having.

But does it come with waterslides?

• Options

I have no work space, just the dining room table, so need to be able to clean it up and pack it away without them spilling all over.

Yeah I take my organizer off of the shelf, use it, then put it back after a build session. I build on our elevating coffee table, which is where we also eat while watching TV. So I have to be able to put it away. The organizer is convenient because unlike a box, I don't have to open it (except for the drawer). I'll try to remember to grab a photo tomorrow.

• Options

My life for organization...

I've tried a lot of different things over the years. With my going to build nights, and also having an apartment where for the longest time I built on my kitchen counter, I valued compact setups.

First and foremost, look into the really cheap organizer bins you can get from big box stores. They're like $6 for 6 of them. Simple snap-on lids. You don't need anything fancy, and this will easily hold any gunpla supplies.

The best all-around, all purpose organizer has to be the Art Bin Sidekick, and its related products. A small bin up top, a pull-out bin in the middle, and a deep well in the bottom. Very secure latch. The only negative I've run into is that my brushes get "Smushed" up at the top if I'm not careful, due to how the case shifts when moving.

KonESoll.jpg

qd5l6eal.jpg

This, combined with some desk supplies, kept me going for a long time. But when I finally got a station I liked, I needed some extra space. So I got a crafting cart from Hobby Lobby. These are relatively inexpensive... but they have wheels. Which means they are easy to stow. I recently upgraded mine with a trio of upgrades: An organizer tote that fits it (which I have put my paints in), a clip on paper towel rack so I have that handy, and a flat top board that turns it into a work space.

HMSWVLpl.jpg

QZwiYuPl.jpg

Most recently, I picked up a couple items on the same day... almost by accident. I was feeling that the Sidekick was more than I wanted to bring to build nights, as it tended to not fit in my bag and required an extra hand. So I went hunting around, and found some 6" square crafting boxes. I bought one to try out, and I think it's about perfect for holding gunpla tools. I can even fit my light in there!

sxHZDKvl.jpg?1

Then there's the import option. This is literally a portable gunpla construction desk. It is designed to collect flash and nubs, store your tools, provide a place to rest your instructions, and hold your nippers (though that part sucks and I don't use it - especially as I'm left handed). There is a mini cutting board included as well. The upgrade pick includes a magnifying glass and a light, but that seemed overkill when I was talking to the local shop owner about it.

vi97VyOl.jpg

zIvNvC7l.jpg

• Options
    In other news...

Shit. That free shipping / Spring Sale?

They are gonna do a PG Perfectibility again, and include an add-on kit for the boosters and all the other accessories....

Damnit I don't NEED a 4th PG Unicorn... and yet, I'm sitting here thinking about it... maybe painting this one up, doing something special with it as a capstone.

Ugggghhh.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whats else is in the sale, I could never track down a list

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    At the moment the list is:
    MG 1/100 Maneuver Striker for Eclipse Gundam

PG 1/60 Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility

PG 1/60 Divine Expansion for Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility

RE100 1/100 Gundam Lindwurm

HGUC 1/144 ZOGOK (Operation Capture of Jaburo ver.)

HG 1/144 TEKKADAN COMPLETE SET

HG 1/144 Io Frame Shiden Custom

HGUC 1/144 NEO ZEONG

HGUC 1/144 Expansion Effect Unit for Neo Zeong

Hopefully they add a few more, I'd love another shot at the MG Hazel Owlsa and the GM Dominance FA

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RG Hi-Nu in stock at Newtype, if anyone wants one.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I've got a long while until I need to actually do this, but I noticed at points in the PGU Gramps build it mentions applying stickers "as you like." Clearly these are meant to be optional, but I noticed that one set of stickers is the eyes. I assume you'd leave these off if you're doing the LED lights?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yes. Light no go through sticker.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RG Hi-Nu in stock at Newtype, if anyone wants one.

Oh cruel world! On my wife's birthday?! That would feel so selfish.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yes. Light no go through sticker.

Don't they have eye stickers with clear sections, so you can have the black outside but the green foil is instead clear?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/vyf9mG8hyZg

I will never get tired of these ridiculous trailers

• Options
    Bandai Hobby twitter's got a bunch of stuff from the Shizuoka Hobby Show, including the above MGEX Strike Freedom.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.