As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    From the wiki it seems that the Rotten Winged Sword Insignia is better than Millicent's Prosthesis since the attack power multipliers are higher. Is that correct?

yes, one is harder to get than the other, and you can't get both in one playthrough. they do stack with each other however

I haden't noticed that you could get one earlier than the other. That makes sense. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    And that's a wrap! Only thing left for me is 100% achievements. The final fights were really cool! I'm surprised I only missed 3 secret bosses, but then again, I spent 90 hours (!) on my first playthrough and indulged a lot in explorations, the leven designs were just wayyy too cool for just rushing through. Sadly missed one weapon and locked myself out of an ending, so I'll have to speedrun one more playthrough for all achievements, but I'm more than happy to go with a cheesy meta build to get that done quickly.

Why the rush?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    90 hours is super fast

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    And that's a wrap! Only thing left for me is 100% achievements. The final fights were really cool! I'm surprised I only missed 3 secret bosses, but then again, I spent 90 hours (!) on my first playthrough and indulged a lot in explorations, the leven designs were just wayyy too cool for just rushing through. Sadly missed one weapon and locked myself out of an ending, so I'll have to speedrun one more playthrough for all achievements, but I'm more than happy to go with a cheesy meta build to get that done quickly.

Why the rush?

Just trying to get as far and fast away from Malenia as quickly as possible after that section, y'know?

But yeah, I was waiting for this comment seeing that the usual finish time seems to be 110h+ :D

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    50ish hours.

So many things unkilled.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    142 hours thus far, only up to that giant area, almost done with Castle of Sol which if I'm understanding correctly will open a whole other area. And I have probably half a dozen field bosses to mop up in all the other areas that I've otherwise cleared out.

I'm around level 142, as well. Although 142 is my Steam time and 110ish is I think the last time I saw on the actual game because it took about 30 minutes to create a character, which is on the longer side for me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    i'm four builds in and i don't have another one i really wanna make atm

could do a proper faith build i guess

i actually wouldn't mind doing a 2.0 dex/int that's more in line with how i respecced

Elendil on
    edited May 2022
    65 Hours in and I have defeated NG+ Godfrey (4 attempts) and now the Elden Beast awaits. Now level 151.

Also me, cannot make any progress in Castle Sol as those teleporting twin sword wielding Banished Knights are absolute grade A fuckers. they only have 1 move, but is eems to be "Annihilate Alistair".

Considering respeccing into some kind of @surrealitycheck build with the Biggest hammers imaginable just to beat face. I hate them so much.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think I just ran past them last time

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022

I am a champion of running past things in Souls Games. There is not an enemy type in the game that hasn't gone "What was that?" to its mate as I leg it into the distance.

These fuckers stick to me like glue and eviscerate me in half a second.

Alistair Hutton on

Elendil wrote: »
    i'm four builds in and i don't have another one i really wanna make atm

could do a proper faith build i guess

i actually wouldn't mind doing a 2.0 dex/int that's more in line with how i respecced
    that might be the plan

respec my OG build (again) to dex quality, burn my last somber on bloodhound fang, upgrade a nagakiba and i got my samurai weapon build that i functionally used, just minus the magic

then make a fresh spellsword mage knight

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Faith builds are really good. Were I to bother with doing an NG++ run it'd be with my faith build for sure.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I am a champion of running past things in Souls Games. There is not an enemy type in the game that hasn't gone "What was that?" to its mate as I leg it into the distance.

These fuckers stick to me like glue and eviscerate me in half a second.

They're a nightmare. I used invisibility and the talisman that makes you make no sound and just snuck around the fuckers.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    They're not too bad to just roll and punish with backstabs if you can figure out avoiding the first stab, but if you get clipped it's over.

You can also stagger them with anything sizeable, though you need to be careful to not give an opening and get stabbed into combo.

I farmed one for the unaltered chest because I found it less annoying than dealing with the dogs that're with the halberd one with the unaltered chest.

Was disappointed to find that the chest cloth is dark blue/black and doesn't match the unaltered helm's red cloth.

Kamar on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm sure there's a million people doing it, but I just want to make the absolute twinkiest character I can at level ~30ish, park them in front of Margit or Godrick and just help people beat the crap out of them over and over.

It'd probably necessitate someone dropping me one of the later game weapons or duping some nasty ash of war.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Hm, I'm thinking my RL1 character would be best off using, like, frost and/or bleed broadsword(s), but I just did a broadsword run so for now I'm messing with a grave scythe. Took out Margit quick and easy.

Gonna have to be status weapons, since that's the only non-scaling source of damage this time around.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So after clearing Ranella I've just been doing some area cleanup and ventured south of Limgrave because I got that "new area!" thing way earlier and was like oh man, idk if I'm supposed to be here so I put it off.

Well, womp fucking womp the Weeping Pennisula is 100% intended to be done right out the gate and has *TWO* Sacred Tears in it and a stone farm. I felt like a total dork for not doing this area way earlier so it was one hit kill city and the Castle boss went down in seconds.

I didn't feel too bad for too long though because Starscourge Radahn's second phase vibe checked my ass pretty hard.

Got him tho. Onwards to more of the Ranni questline!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Yup, still playing. I tried to pick up on my writing by taking a few days off, then I hit creative block, then well ... *gestures wildly at the world in general and my county in particular. In other words, my last few sessions were a bit shorter and more angry on my part. But (some) progress was made, so Update 13!
    I got to the Carin Manor easily enough, but I was not expecting what I found there. Oh, good, giant hands with several times as many fingers as they should have. What am I playing, Elden Ring or Smash Brothers? Badum-tish.
    I made relatively short work, Dark-Souls relative, of them and the ghost knights or whatever on the upper floors. I met Ranni again at night and met her friends. Well, I already knew Blaidd, and he's cool, and Iji's fine. But if you don't have a Velocithor and a tragic ending that makes me cry, you're still a pretender to the name. That wizard guy seems like a douche, though, and Nephili's one of my favorite NPCs so far, so I'm guessing I'm not helping this guy for long.
    After that, I did some side stuff and finally officially enter Caelid. I went down the main way long enough to get the map. The regular enemies aren't so bad, but some bosses made short work of me. Oh, a rot-breathing dragon, how nice. And a tree avatar that splashes more rot with its stomp attack, lovely. I managed to get both to below half health but not much progress has been made beyond that, so I might take a few levels off before another try. I finished off that Catacombs with the two cat statues at once and called it a night. Heh, cat statues in the catacombs. That's cute, From.

Update 14! Three down...
    I have to admit, I started feeling a little burned out when I first got into Caelid. Part of it was the difficulty spike, part was how it was such a bleak, depressing wasteland compared to the rest of the world, and part of it was, well, feeling bummed out enough about OUR world that spending my fantasy world time in an even bigger pit was less appealing.

What changed? Time, at least a bit, and more importantly a huge weapon upgrade. My strength build seemed perfect for the Magma Wyrm Greatsword, so I burned through some of our Somber Smithing Stones to make it outperform my old, classic Knight Greatsword. The sudden power boost, not to mention its really cool special move, helped me take down the Scarlet Rot dragon and corresponding tree elder. I also took down Commander O'Neill, the swamp dude. It took a few tries, but I was able to figure it out eventually. The good news is it gave me some new insight and skill into horseback boss fighting. the bad news is I was getting a little nauseous circle-strafing him in irregular patterns.

I haven't entire figured out all of Caelid and explored it fully yet. I bet the guards in the upper ledges of the Divine Tower were wondering why I was there. Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunate guards. I also haven't been able to beat the Jar Duelists yet, but that was pre-weapon upgrade. More importantly, it's party time! When I got to Redmane Castle, apparently taking the Endless Up Magma tunnel to the Plateau was enough to advance the plot, and for once, nearly everyone didn't want there didn't want to kill me. No, they wanted to kill Radahn, the boss, and wanted my help. It took a few tries, sure, but it was a pretty fun boss, what with spending nearly the entire fight on horse and summoning possibly dozens of other heroes to help! Well, except for Patches, who hilarious bailed as soon as I summoned him.

Boss down, but I still have a lot of Caelid to explore before I'm done, and it sounds like I have more underground that I can explore now and can advance the Ranni quest. Oh, and I also good D killed at some point by Fia. Whoops?

Out of curiosity, did anyone else get occasional game burnout? Like, it's a fun, massive, wonderful game, but it's humongous, and nearly every boss in the game is hard enough to require at least a few tries.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    I call it Elden Ring

pz0agbs8l4fb.png

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    done! finished the game at 162.
    I still have some side bosses to clear but I got my "legit" Malenia kill (no summons, no river of blood shennanigans, melee yolo).
    The last boss was pretty to look at but the constant teleporting was incredibly frustrating, I couldn't be bothered doing that one properly so used the black blade tiche to help out. That lady is dynamite!

I'm kinda new to souls games, is there a viable build that doesnt involve spells? the buff durations are so low, I can never reapply all of them in combat, I just wanna cast 1 buff max and then start slapping things.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Arcane build with occult weapons, Commander's Standard for the 30 sec buff (if you feel like it), you could absolutely get away without needing faith buffs or weapon grease.

Standard blasphemous blade build will delete bosses as well, and you'll rarely need to worry about reapplying buffs because shit just dies in the opening few attacks.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Arcane build with occult weapons, Commander's Standard for the 30 sec buff (if you feel like it), you could absolutely get away without needing faith buffs or weapon grease.

Standard blasphemous blade build will delete bosses as well, and you'll rarely need to worry about reapplying buffs because shit just dies in the opening few attacks.

huh, running 2x bandit curved swords with occult and seppuku on them atm!
    is arcane+occult really that powerful? can straight str or dex builds not compete?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Its because you are doing the art in those builds and it scales off the arcane or faith. Ive seen roar builds work for strength. There was one that used that big red hammer. Prelates i think. I think they should change art scaling to scale in a more varied way. Even bleed buildup is off of arc and not including dex from what I ... think... works...?

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2022
    i respecced my original character to 80 dex and took it out into the haligtree and it feels... bad? no wonder i was struggling in the area on my first run.

i tried out dual katanas, the naginata two-handed, and bloodhound fang. the katanas and naginata do shit all for poise damage and stance break, and the damage output was surprisingly low. i think i had fewer problems clearing it even running the carian knight straight sword.

Elendil on
    I started the same way Elendil, straight Dex, it felt underwhelming. I later respecc'd STR heavy and once again, didn't feel it. I'm fully willing to admit it could have been my build/ash/weapon/talisman choices holding me back on STR and DEX, but faith felt amazing and my intelligence play through atm feels great as well.

edited May 2022
    I think the main problem is the good attack talismans are pretty late game. Alexanders, Millicent quest, Dragon Quest greatshield etc.

I did hybrid build with the bloodhound sword. It worked great as I could tank it up. Even there though I relied alot on the L2 but I did block attack alot too. It is just easier to rely on L2 then it is power stancing or buffing/roaring to get into the 2k dmg you can get with str/dex primary.

Jubal77 on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @EmperorSeth the great jar duelists are broken as fuck if you are playing online. It uses actual user builds so everyone is running minmaxed combos. It's a nightmare.

Turn off multiplayer and you get to fight the developer designed ones which are way more manageable

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited May 2022
    Klatu wrote: »
    I started the same way Elendil, straight Dex, it felt underwhelming. I later respecc'd STR heavy and once again, didn't feel it. I'm fully willing to admit it could have been my build/ash/weapon/talisman choices holding me back on STR and DEX, but faith felt amazing and my intelligence play through atm feels great as well.
    i'm working on a strength colossal sword build and that one feels great to me

tbf the big greatshield knights are kind of a worst case scenario, tanky, poised up relatively fast guys that can block. there are lots of parts on my first run where the build paid off a lot more. but i kind of took it for granted that katanas were OP and plugged along with them and it's like, man they have some real weaknesses if you're not juicing them up with unique weapon arts, buffs, or bleed shit

Elendil on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    i respecced my original character to 80 dex and took it out into the haligtree and it feels... bad? no wonder i was struggling in the area on my first run.

i tried out dual katanas, the naginata two-handed, and bloodhound fang. the katanas and naginata do shit all for poise damage and stance break, and the damage output was surprisingly low. i think i had fewer problems clearing it even running the carian knight straight sword.

You have discovered the fundamental rule of the universe: Katanas are for weebs.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

You have discovered the fundamental rule of the universe: Katanas are for weebs.
    Look at his av. That's never stopped him and it never will.

heavy thrusting swords still winning

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

heavy thrusting swords still winning

if you're heavy thrusting you're winning.

DanHibiki on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The game is crashing on me like crazy.

I've gone from having never had any crashes to about 8 different freezes / CTDs / and/or breaking graphical glitches in the past two days.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    The game is crashing on me like crazy.

I've gone from having never had any crashes to about 8 different freezes / CTDs / and/or breaking graphical glitches in the past two days.

Be warned, if you are online the game might think you are trying to cheat (this happened to me)

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was plowing through this game with my shiny new wretch->str/int build and I took a break from Raya Lucaria to go check out Carian Manor. Figured out would have some cool magic loot.

Immediately got literally spanked by an armada of giant hands.

Nice reality check there.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited May 2022
    My default for building at the moment is strength or dex to 80+ (usually strength), faith at 25+ so I can cast Golden Vow (spell version is stronger than weapon skill and lasts 80 seconds instead of 45), then buff with whatever long-lasting weapon buff; grease, electrify armament, etc. Use Seppuku (on a cane sword or whatever) to proc Lord of blood's Exultation (and mask, maybe) if I need the extra oomph on my opening (or on bosses where you can rebuff reliably AND need a ton of damage, hello Malenia). I guess you could go really dumb and also use rot exultation if you had something to poison with.

Can use somber weapons with appropriate stats too, though a lot of the best ones want sorta wonky stats that don't play nice with other approaches.

Working with weapons that have inherent scaling that favors strength or dex lets you change affinity to Blood and/or Cold when you need to. If you have a somber primary weapon you can probably easily find a weapon with compatible stats for your backup bleed weapon, since you'll be built more quality for most of those.

Can also run sorta quality+arc builds for Blood affinity for certain weapons that don't lose much damage with that affinity (mostly seems to be dex weapons? thrusting swords, katanas, scythes, curved swords, etc) if you don't mind being a little less potent than you could be on bleed-immune bosses. Or occult on something with innate bleed, though I'd always check that before committing since results can vary on that one.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. Weapon-specific builds like a Godslayer GS build that just builds for its weird stat preferences (Dex>>Faith>str) and nukes anything obnoxious with the ridiculous damage output of its WA. Pure caster builds using weapons like flame art erdsteel dagger or coded sword as a backup but mostly just nuking.

Kamar on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was plowing through this game with my shiny new wretch->str/int build and I took a break from Raya Lucaria to go check out Carian Manor. Figured out would have some cool magic loot.

They really

REALLY

hate fire. Like, a unique freak out animation and everything. Firebombs, fire spells, fire ashes of war, any of it, will give you quite a window on the big hands.

Honestly at this stage, I build thinking "how will I fight Malenia and the final boss with this" as a starting point.

Which sorta means
    bleed and bleedless compatibility, not reliant on Holy damage (RIP ordovis GS, golden halberd)

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »

They really

REALLY

hate fire. Like, a unique freak out animation and everything. Firebombs, fire spells, fire ashes of war, any of it, will give you quite a window on the big hands.

Hmmmmmmm.

Need to get me some fire spells. 🔥 🔥 🔥

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited May 2022
    Is Malenia bleed immune? She didnt seem like it. By the time I got to her myself and my mimic just ate her in like 4 seconds because I was so overleveled and rivers of blood.

Jubal77 on
This discussion has been closed.