As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Dibby, have you ever felt a positive emotion playing Hearthstone?

This is a half sarcastic and half earnest-and-genuinely-concerned.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Okay, so I just opened up Queen Azshara, leaving only 1 legendary left for a competitive Control Warrior deck (Rokara is the legendary I need). Do you guys think CW is going to be good enough in standard (Tier 1/2) to where that's a safe craft? I only have enough dust for one legendary right now.

You get a legendary at lvl 50 along the reward track. How close are you to 50?

Azshara was my Level 50 Legendary. :)

Edit: And to clarify, I'm talking about Rokara, the Valorous and not the other legendary she's on.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

As a former Dota player, impotent rage at everything is just a unique form of fandom.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Delduwath wrote: »

Yes actually! I've had a lot of fun playing Standard in the past (until I got sick of playing the ever continuous game of catch-up) and BGs has been my primary game mode since.

Which is really fun! Which is why I'm so angry that they fucked it up this badly.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think buddies are okay; there'll always be some that need buffed/nerfed but I like how they can make lobbies feel more unique. The most obnoxious ones (alakir, akazamwhatever) are mostly only bad because of the prevalence of poison in the lategame meta.

which (and I know i'm a broken record on this topic) is really the main problem with the current meta; most of the interesting builds you can make just get choked out by poison/murlocs when they're in the lobby, and even by a combo of amalgadon and spore when they're not. If that weren't a thing they could tune the scaling of the different tribes/units more effectively.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Please just get rid of Amalgadon already

I mean Murlocs are a whole other problem in and of themselves because Wow, A Board Full Of Poison Big Boys. I guess that's like Their Thing and all but. I dunno, like, there's no real counter to that. Divine Shields and pray, I guess? Pray that the Murloc player isn't going for triple Selfless and Rivendare?

There's tech for Divine Shields with Ghoul, there's tech for Rivendare with Zapp.... Nothing to do against Poisonous. Poisonous only feels good with Spore. Period the end, it feels good to pick one up as a way to get through a gigantic fucking taunt or something, and it's limited and the stats are horrible so you legit only get one go with it

...Unless you're George, then you just get poison/divine shield murlocs for free and just sweep the whole lobby,,,,,,

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I mean they did just nerf murlocs, so it's harder than before to get full poison + big murlocs.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think the BG meta right now is pretty good. One of the better ones they have had. It's just stale because we got the last new tribe a year ago.

There were some changes in between and some even with bigger minion changes but I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that the core strategies of endgame builds haven't changed meaningfully in a year. The way how you get there has changed (and I think buddies are good and also needed to better balance heroes/give them more identity) but since the end result is the same, it all feels old.

I don't hate dong, but I do like it more as an endgame minion for menagerie builds. I would try one of two ways to get there. One I have mentioned before, it's to just remove Brann. You would need some other changes, but I'd like to play that meta. The other is to make Dong only have the two adapts anyone cares about but have it adapt once for 3 tribes and twice for 5 tribes.

Edit: my pipe dream that will never happen is to have the devs just try shit. They release broken patches anyway, just lean into it. Delete Brann for a week. Make no other changes, see what happens. Take the least played tribe and just buff all their minions by 1 health. See what happens.

Grobian on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people will say "well without poison the only strategy would be who snowballed stats first" and i say yes, that is part of the problem created by the current design of bgs

in general though it's become very clear that the patch burden has become a huge albatross around the neck of maintaining all these separate modes. you can't just do a battlegrounds patch, or a duels patch, or a mercenaries patch, because there's so much manpower and money going into the process of everything. they've pretty much said that more than one patch a month would be impossible, and even a few weeks slower than that is not much easier. if your team has a fix for the battlegrounds meta it doesn't matter, they have to wait for the standard fixes to be ready, they have to wait for the duels fixes to be ready. it's what's caused game modes like arena to perish

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The new Warcraft mobile game has been formally announced: Warcraft Arclight Rumble

It looks very very similar to Clash of Clans.
    https://youtu.be/0jPOG8Nru_E

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    It is literally just clash royale, like I'm not talking 'has similarities with' I am talking 'has ripped the game and given it a Warcraft paint job'

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    As someone who still plays Clash Royale daily, it is not remotely as close to that game as you think it is

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The game gave me insulting legendaries like Xhilag and Caria so I'm following this guy's example and making a spite deck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z934fnK_zXI

• Options
    7:55 wow a BGH

• Options
    I want to add I have played seven games with this deck and I have never managed to get Xhilag to live beyond the turn he's dropped. The opponent always has 6 damage in hand so I don't know if Xhilag upgrades his tentacles to 2/2s or if they pewpew for more damage.

• Options
    It just increases the pewpew damage by 1, doesn't change the stats. It's a weirdly bad Colossal compared to most. You have to be well ahead on board and your opponent has to have nothing for it to get any value.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The game gave me insulting legendaries like Xhilag and Caria so I'm following this guy's example and making a spite deck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z934fnK_zXI
    Looks fun, but of course it's a win compilation, which makes any deck look more enjoyable. I totally understand the viewership/video length reasons behind making your deck video a highlight of your wins, when it's popping off or your opponents are bad/drew like shit, but I like to see how and why a deck loses for others as well. It feels bad to try out a deck that was touted or you watched kick ass in a VOD, play it completely correctly, and still go like 0-4 because it turns out it loses when your opponents actually do things.

forty on
  • Options
    And another poor soul learns why you never go Full Northshire: https://hsreplay.net/replay/Zme887uJCnX4bqZg9yhszS

• Options
    Missing all sorts of useful epics from this expansion, but the rewards track is right there to give me two epics I already got two of from packs. "Yay." :(

• Options
    VS #229 is out: https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-229/

DH stonks continue to rise; play DH if you want to win, or CWar if you want to win slightly less.

• Options
    Oh, there's also a BG patch on the 10th, adding Naga and Azshara as a tribal hero: https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23784374/prepare-for-the-rise-of-the-naga
    In total, 5 minions will be removed from the minion pool with Patch 23.2, to be replaced with 16 new Naga minions, 5 other new minions, and 2 returning favorites! More Naga will be revealed over the coming days, along with Developer Insights and other tidbits.

• Options
    "We won't be adding anymore Tribes into Battlegrounds" -- Hearthstone BG devs (1999)

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Does that mean Mukla will get a lot of free synergy with Naga?

• Options
    If your hand is full, Spellcraft spells will “wait” until there is a free space in your hand, instead of getting destroyed or being delayed a turn.
    That's nice, and also cool new tech.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyS3DWVzjps

Ya boy got his wish, Buddies AND Amalgadons are GONE next patch

FUCK YES

edit: Oh, video doesn't touch on Amalgadon, but I saw Kripp post about it on twitter and people on reddit are talking about it.

dubs edit: Ah yeah confirmed, and it's being replaced with something else https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/ujt60w/new_bg_cards_from_educated_collins_and_shadybunny/

iV6IYII.jpeg

Of note, Nightmare Amalgam is back in as a Tier 3 minion

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    RIP to the shit heroes that have been propped up by strong buddies. Back in the garbage bin with ye!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Yeah buddies were wildly imbalanced (and probably impossible to balance around) so I'm very glad they are going away

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Also honestly just not a fan of a meta that gives you a free guaranteed T6 minion on whatever turn you'd triple your Buddy

Dumbbbb dumb dumb. Such a problematic system to balance around, pushes Heroes into going very specific builds. Like before, you could play e.g. Alexstrasza or Ysera or w/e and leverage their HP as an early game thing, but if Dragons aren't working out and you highroll into a build-maker for another tribe you just go with that. Buddies removed that possibility and you'd be pigeon holed into going the specific tribe it was pushing.

Also it killed off Menagerie which was like my favorite goddamn build

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Alexstrasza seems like a weird example since she was pigeon holed even before buddies. She has no early game and was mostly about rushing to 5 and hoping to discover some good highroll dragons. And if you whiffed you usually died a turn or two later anyway.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think you could absolutely fix the buddy system with some effort, they just are not willing to put anywhere near that level of resources into the mode

first thing to can would be golden buddies giving a discover though yes

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Rotate Brawl forever

• Options
    I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that buddies were more unbalanced than heroes without buddies. It's another way to balance heroes. More screws to screw lead to more balance. And it worked. I don't think we ever had this many viable heroes before.

New dong replacement is dependent on if she can roll her adapts multiple times. But I hate her anyway because there will be enough situations where her text reads "start of combat: decide if you win this combat or not".

First trolden bg video after the patch better have a compilation of Queens getting sniped by dragon whelps before they adapt.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i was digging through the thread for a link i saw a few weeks back and i found this post and i've never been more disappointed to be right
    i know that the opinion is that DH was bad against decks that were being kept down by ramp druid but off those are conspicuous non-nerfs to it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    c9sgl7h1mimw.png

This game is my perfect goodbye to Dong. He was just too beautiful for this world :'(

• Options
    Oh hey, Nightmare Amalgam is coming back to BGs.

• Options
    This meta is maximum butt.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    This meta is maximum butt.

It would seem like some kind of Silence Priest would clean up. Mech Paladin is nothing without those shields and hand buffs and what can a Quest Hunter do against a Priest's mega healing?

• Options
    Both of those decks are quite favored into Priest. Quest Hunter in particular is like 75/25. Priest also loses to DH and Naga Mage.

I guess you could get like a 55/45 into CWar though.

• Options
    Nobody is building good Priest decks, then. Toss away your 7/7 clams and fill your decks with silencing starfish and whirlpools.

• Options
    Quest Hunter doesn't care if you silence its shit.