As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Calling support may be a good idea. I do know that it hasn’t affected everyone the last two days (or even one) since I played purchased games last night and earlier today. It does suck for whoever is affected by this though. I’ve hit this before and it was related to a server and sharing issue. But it isn’t hitting today. I kept getting odd update requests for the store repeatedly last night though. Would say the store host needed to update but it never would update. Purchase went through And I could play the game fine (sniper elite V2 remastered). And checking my Game Pass games they are working too.

Usually MS support is pretty good (if you get the right person). Try contacting them and see what can be done.

Edit: looking at Facebook a bit ago and it looks like many got hit by this. Not sure at all why I wasn’t. Kinda odd.

Nitsua on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This has been two days now, at this point a minimum 5 buck microsoft credit would be the right thing. Game servers have issues all the time, that I can't even play the games I bought right now that aren't on gamepass is what's really pissing me off.

Starting to remember why I was hesitant to go all digital again.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    This has been two days now, at this point a minimum 5 buck microsoft credit would be the right thing. Game servers have issues all the time, that I can't even play the games I bought right now that aren't on gamepass is what's really pissing me off.

Where "all digital" here includes many installs from xbox discs. Like it or not you're basically all-in for always-online with Xbox at this point.

Where "all digital" here includes many installs from xbox discs. Like it or not you're basically all-in for always-online with Xbox at this point.

Games on disc are still working right now I believe. I was able to play Overwatch, one of the few games I have on disc for X1, earlier after COD was giving me the error message.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

I just played Cyberpunk 2077 off my disc without issue. Updates are dependent on online service, but that's no different from the overwhelming majority of Playstation games given the consistent need for day-one patches.

On the other hand, I also played an hour of ME Trilogy streaming at around noon, but I assume that was before the outage? Afterwards I could only play it off an installation, and not from Cloud Streaming. :neutral:

Synthesis on
    I think certain area servers were hit and not others. None of my friends here in VA are mentioning losing Live or Xbox access, but the Xbox channel I’m part of on Facebook has been talking about it all day. Usually I’m losing access just like everyone else (it harder since I shared out my live account to share games) but it’s been fine the entire time.

Here’s hoping Eurogamer or Ars Technica puts out something on the outage. I’d like to know what’s behind this.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It's debatable how many Playstation games you want to play without a day-one patch, but generally you can at least do it. Almost like Sony requires things to at least launch out-of-the-box.

Granted you're going to have to patch your system firmware nowish to fix the CMOS battery issues, but at least you will be able to throw a brand new disc in a patched system two or three decades from now. Wheras you can't install your xbox discs without their servers still being up.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Microsoft sucks, mirite?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Is it still down?

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Oh I don't know I can take not playing games for a day and half or so. Its not like they had one of the biggest private data breaches ever....

urahonky wrote: »
    Is it still down?

I haven’t tried yet, but according to XBOX Support Twitter it’s fixed.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Is it still down?

I haven’t tried yet, but according to XBOX Support Twitter it’s fixed.

I played late last night for awhile before i went to bed. This morning im still at the computer but yeah all green still.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’ve been playing FF X before it leaves game pass (ps: FF X is leaving game pass), and I don’t have much to say about the game itself yet and I haven’t played the PS2 original but this is a low effort remaster. You need to be squared up dead-on with any object to activate it, which makes the game feel clumsy to play throughout, and outright frustrating during a section where I was trying to get some underwater chests.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Oh I don't know I can take not playing games for a day and half or so. Its not like they had one of the biggest private data breaches ever....

we'll see.

Is it still down?

I was streaming from XCloud, so not for me?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Outages are to be expected, but they need a better failstate than what we have now. I haven’t had issues this weekend, but it’s not that great that my most reliable and quickest fix during previous outages was to unplug the Ethernet cable. Xbox behaves much better while actually offline than it does when it’s online while services are having issues.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It drives me up the wall that when I switch to my 360 to check something it takes a while to fail to log in to XBL because of my shitty connection than it does if I don't need to log in at all and thus don't connect the ethernet cable.

We’ll likely hear something from Microsoft on this Monday. Just spent a few moments on Twitter and people are really up in arms over the outage this weekend - in a way that I didn’t see during the previous ones. Microsoft clearing the air and letting us in on the cause of the outage and how they will mitigate it in the future would at least be a start in mending things.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I'm having a weird issue with my new LG c2 and the series x. Sometimes when I turn on the Xbox, instead of the full screen I'd expect, I get a weird squished image. At the same point I also don't have sound at all. Usually restarting fixes the issue, but not always. And the last time I messed with the sound input to get the sound back. I have it plugged into HDMI 3 which isn't the eARC one. I had no issues with my C9 so this is just odd. Any ideas?

Nitsua wrote: »
    We’ll likely hear something from Microsoft on this Monday. Just spent a few moments on Twitter and people are really up in arms over the outage this weekend - in a way that I didn’t see during the previous ones. Microsoft clearing the air and letting us in on the cause of the outage and how they will mitigate it in the future would at least be a start in mending things.

I think it’s being made worse by the purchasing issue. I’m seeing people saying They were charged twice/being told it didn’t go through when it went through on their card.

Has anybody experienced Edge just opening up on its own?

And possibly related, anybody had their controller inputs either not register or register continuously? As in trying to push a button and it won't do anything or say using the d-pad in a menu and then suddenly it scrolls automatically? (This is not stick drift and the controller has been recently charged.) It's acting like a wireless keyboard that is blocked from the reciever.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Last of the new stuff is Tunic. I was a bit worried about the Souls influence on this one as well (when a Souls fan says "not every game is for everyone, maybe you just don't like Souls games, you should play something else!" they neglect to consider that many of these tropes that I find mega annoying are spreading like rot through every game out there)…

As a real big Souls fan, like, both elden ring and dark souls 2 are top 5 games for me…. I agree. I wouldn’t call it rot, definitely a trend, likely a fad. Everyone who tries to invoke those games just can’t pull it off anyways. I do appreciate that it did inspire some games to work on getting melee combat feeling better; AssCreed: Origins is a prime example of that.

You even cite Deaths Door in comparison to Tunic; I really didn’t like that game because it tried to crib both Souls and Zelda and it came out to a spaghettified overworld that I was constantly lost in with combat that was punishing just ‘cuz Souls was hard; at least the boss fights were rad.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

And possibly related, anybody had their controller inputs either not register or register continuously? As in trying to push a button and it won't do anything or say using the d-pad in a menu and then suddenly it scrolls automatically? (This is not stick drift and the controller has been recently charged.) It's acting like a wireless keyboard that is blocked from the reciever.

Some games can tell Edge to load a page or if a page refreshes in the background it can steal focus back when it finishes.

This is something I've observed if I accidentally launch a webpage for a game and then immediately switch back to the game but Edge will open again once it finishes loading the page.

What page is it opening to?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

I’ve had the controller inputs occur after being in YouTube for awhile. Doesn’t happen all the time or even often, maybe every 5 or 6 months, but when it does I start going Two in any direction I press and after a bit of that, any direction I hit goes up instead and then it goes on it’s own into the upper left of the program. When it starts, if I go into the Xbox menu or the Home Screen it still occurs. If I kill the controller and then reconnect it’s fine. Generally this is happening with the D-pad and the jumping up to the upper left Happened when I tried using the analog stick to navigate instead. Just happened to me again yesterday. Closest I’ve come to what you’re talking about though.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm deeper into Tunic and one thing that the instruction book mechanic does that's very nice is that when you finish something and go "Now... what?", you can browse the booklet and give each page another think with your more recent experiences. A weird thing about all the pseudo-Souls games I've been playing is how wildly inconsistent difficulty balancing gets. A lot of them start extremely hard, become merely pretty difficult as you start to get worthwhile equipment/skills/etc, and then strangely become a pushover as you keep adding more and more gear to your kit. In Tunic, I now have a MASSIVE life bar, 5 potions, a very strong attack, several magic moves, various bombs that I never bother to use, etc. Unlike Death's Door, which asked for pattern recognition above all else in the boss fights (and each boss has a glaring weakness you can exploit at certain moments that can make them MUCH easier), Tunic's bosses work much better with unhinged aggression. After a run or two to learn what the boss can do to you, just getting in close and relentlessly slashing the boss has worked by far the best on pretty much every one of them. I'm also starting to outpace the general playerbase on this, since beating the most recent boss was a rare achievement...

Remnant bosses have turned out to be similar. Being fancy gets us exploded or stomped by obnoxious mob spawns, standing in the least complicated part of the arena and firing volleys as quickly as possible tears the bosses to shreds. I honestly think these "hard bosses that you don't really have to LEARN" kind of suck though.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I beat Tunic and the cheevo for seeing the credits was at 4% for other players obtaining it. Tunic must be one of those games where lots of people try it but few finish.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I beat Tunic and the cheevo for seeing the credits was at 4% for other players obtaining it. Tunic must be one of those games where lots of people try it but few finish.

That's most games.

Check out your other games, and look for the game competition achievement- I'd be surprised if its more than 10%, even for short games.

Some games can tell Edge to load a page or if a page refreshes in the background it can steal focus back when it finishes.

This is something I've observed if I accidentally launch a webpage for a game and then immediately switch back to the game but Edge will open again once it finishes loading the page.

What page is it opening to?

I don't remember. The thing is until a couple days ago I'd never opened Edge for any reason.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

The last part is especially hard too. Plus there weren't very many guides out there the first few weeks it came out.

urahonky on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I wanted to like Tunic, but I found the game tedious and abandoned it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Looks like I chose a good weekend to be distracted by other things and not turn on my Xbox.

Curses! Foiled, again!

Unlocked a Zoo Tycoon achievement yesterday for completing all Original campaigns. Literally did it on the last second of the timed scenario.

Arteen wrote: »
    I wanted to like Tunic, but I found the game tedious and abandoned it.

Same in my case. On top of that, I don't really have a childhood history with Zelda, which obviously isn't a prerequisite but I feel like you're missing something in Tunic otherwise.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Tunic, but the combat is a lot harder than I had expected. I've got similar gear to @shoeboxjeddy but an just getting owned by
    the red jewel guardian, I think it's called siege engine
    I was getting so close then the outage killed my momentum.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    I'm enjoying Tunic, but the combat is a lot harder than I had expected. I've got similar gear to shoeboxjeddy but an just getting owned by

Tips for you:
    - First, have you bought all the upgrades you've collected mats for? HP, attack, defense, and even MP will all help here. Go grind them out first if need be.
    - Start the fight by rushing in and comboing off his face for as long as he'll let you, there's a ton of free hits to be had here.
    - Your instinct might be to hang back and dash in for good opportunities, this is actually a bad idea. Get in his personal space and attack as much as possible. Only get out when you need to heal quickly.
    - Move responses, spoilered for space reasons
    - Leg takes a swipe at you => Dodge towards his body, time the dodge as LATE as possible, the first part of it is your I-frames.
    - He does a big spin => There's a bit of a build up to this one, if you actually see it coming, drop lock on, turn completely away from him, roll and sprint away.
    - He spawns shitty little baby robots => one shot them with your wand, quickly, then get back to work.
    - He shoots little machine gun beams at you => The best response is hiding behind an environmental obstacle. If that's not possible, dodge and then block after the dodge. Repeat that and you shouldn't really take any major hits.
    - He shoots a BIG laser at you in a spinning circle => kind of hard to dodge unless you happen to be near a big pillar already. The idea is to dodge directly THROUGH it, but it's very tricky to manage. Just be ready to heal after.
    - He raises up tall => this is a BIG damage opportunity. Ideally, target switch to his underneath weak point and huck a dynamite. If you can't manage to get one there directly, at least wing him with your wand.

The key to this one for me was just using his size against him, constantly being annoyingly too close for him to manhandle me properly and not letting the fight go long enough for my resources to run out.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

most games that are on gamepass tend to have very low percentages because you can just try and drop. this is especially the case if the game isn't very easy to complete.

Santa... that's really strange. if you don't remember ever opening Edge either from a game or something, I'm not sure why it's doing that. Edge is able to do stuff in the background while you play games from it forcing focus back if I don't outright quit it instead of just tabbing back. Have you tried to quit the app and then see what happens?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Santa... that's really strange. if you don't remember ever opening Edge either from a game or something, I'm not sure why it's doing that. Edge is able to do stuff in the background while you play games from it forcing focus back if I don't outright quit it instead of just tabbing back. Have you tried to quit the app and then see what happens?

It did it a couple of times when I was trying to quit quit ZT Saturday. It would just pop open when I'd press the former Start button. But it was Saturday and I couldn't get the guide tab to open and chalked it up to network issues.

When it happened last night I'm just confused. I think it was trying to open a web page describing an achievement I had highlighted but was able to quit out and it didn't happen again. The only other thing that seems too odd to be why but still...is that Zoo Tycoon is an MS published game and maybe something somehow got crossed. I played some XCOM EU and it didn't happrn then.

Since my PC is on a different TV input, I simply don't need to browse anything via console. So I never used it. Plus, I don't use any app that isn't the store.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Tunic, but the combat is a lot harder than I had expected. I've got similar gear to shoeboxjeddy but an just getting owned by

Tips for you:
    - First, have you bought all the upgrades you've collected mats for? HP, attack, defense, and even MP will all help here. Go grind them out first if need be.
    - Start the fight by rushing in and comboing off his face for as long as he'll let you, there's a ton of free hits to be had here.
    - Your instinct might be to hang back and dash in for good opportunities, this is actually a bad idea. Get in his personal space and attack as much as possible. Only get out when you need to heal quickly.
    - Move responses, spoilered for space reasons
    - Leg takes a swipe at you => Dodge towards his body, time the dodge as LATE as possible, the first part of it is your I-frames.
    - He does a big spin => There's a bit of a build up to this one, if you actually see it coming, drop lock on, turn completely away from him, roll and sprint away.
    - He spawns shitty little baby robots => one shot them with your wand, quickly, then get back to work.
    - He shoots little machine gun beams at you => The best response is hiding behind an environmental obstacle. If that's not possible, dodge and then block after the dodge. Repeat that and you shouldn't really take any major hits.
    - He shoots a BIG laser at you in a spinning circle => kind of hard to dodge unless you happen to be near a big pillar already. The idea is to dodge directly THROUGH it, but it's very tricky to manage. Just be ready to heal after.
    - He raises up tall => this is a BIG damage opportunity. Ideally, target switch to his underneath weak point and huck a dynamite. If you can't manage to get one there directly, at least wing him with your wand.

The key to this one for me was just using his size against him, constantly being annoyingly too close for him to manhandle me properly and not letting the fight go long enough for my resources to run out.

See that's a part I'm in sure of. I'm still not 100% clear on items and upgrades so I'm not sure how is even grind those. But I'm ok with that, I'm going through the game without any guides intentionally.

I've got a pretty good read in his patterns and how best to fight him but I still haven't cleared him. I'm fairly sure I would have if there wasn't the outage over the weekend. I have got him down less that 5% a couple times, but have gotten taken out by a few quick blows that I didn't have time to heal from. Nothing like dying with 4 health hard unused.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Tunic Spoiler for something it sounds like you know already.
    Items that appear on the bottom right of the LB screen are upgrades, which you use at save points by pressing LB.