As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Malenia isn't bleed immune. A good bleed build will wreck her.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Is Malenia bleed immune? She didnt seem like it. By the time I got to her myself and my mimic just ate her in like 4 seconds because I was so overleveled and rivers of blood.

No. Bleed is very good against her. Legit upgraded the flamberge just to have a bleed weapon for that one fight.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Ahh ok I think I just misread the message.

I had to respec for end though as loss of bleed fully into arc made it harder than id of liked. I beat it with Marias but that had its own issues heh.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was plowing through this game with my shiny new wretch->str/int build and I took a break from Raya Lucaria to go check out Carian Manor. Figured out would have some cool magic loot.

Immediately got literally spanked by an armada of giant hands.

Nice reality check there.

They really

REALLY

hate fire. Like, a unique freak out animation and everything. Firebombs, fire spells, fire ashes of war, any of it, will give you quite a window on the big hands.

Hmmmmmmm.

Need to get me some fire spells. 🔥 🔥 🔥

Flames of the redmane is absolutely awesome for that and scales off str.

Re: bleeding and bosses

Malenia is incredibly weak to bleed and frost. the last two bosses are immune to all status effects so you'll lose out if you ash your weapons with bleeding etc.
    last two bosses susceptible to the godskin spells, though.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Okay help me out here.

I *love* straight swords. I love the look of them and the move sets. I especially adore the look of the carian knight straight sword.

But they also feel really weak, especially after playing with BIG SMASHY colossal axes/clubs.

How should I make a straight sword build (preferably with the carian one) that's viable and not going to feel sucky forever?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone have opinions about flails?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I dunno if they're actually optimal, but my night's flail got me through a huge chunk of the game and always felt very good to use

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Okay help me out here.

I *love* straight swords. I love the look of them and the move sets. I especially adore the look of the carian knight straight sword.

But they also feel really weak, especially after playing with BIG SMASHY colossal axes/clubs.

How should I make a straight sword build (preferably with the carian one) that's viable and not going to feel sucky forever?

Sword of Night and Flame seems fairly promising. Scales with int and faith so opens up a lot of doors if you want to also do Incantations, especially Black Flame ones.

Ornamental Straight Sword is neat because it functions as two swords. I think you can also off hand something like Blasphemous Blade and get it's passive bonus while dual wielding the Ornamental Swords.

Rotten Crystal blade would be good for Poison synergy but it's really late game.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    @EmperorSeth the great jar duelists are broken as fuck if you are playing online. It uses actual user builds so everyone is running minmaxed combos. It's a nightmare.

Turn off multiplayer and you get to fight the developer designed ones which are way more manageable

@MegaMan001 That's not an issue; I'm playing offline. Not for any tactical reason; I'm just being cheap. The generic fighters were still able to one-shot me with a riposte or parry, though, so I'll try again in 10 levels for so.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Okay help me out here.

Sword of Night and Flame seems fairly promising. Scales with int and faith so opens up a lot of doors if you want to also do Incantations, especially Black Flame ones.

Ornamental Straight Sword is neat because it functions as two swords. I think you can also off hand something like Blasphemous Blade and get it's passive bonus while dual wielding the Ornamental Swords.

Rotten Crystal blade would be good for Poison synergy but it's really late game.

There are a couple of entries in the comments on the wiki about the Carian sword that look a bit promising. I never played with it. It seems like the cap is lowered a bit by the charge block aspect that the sword has.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Miquellan Knight's Sword is a really good faith based straight sword. Unfortunately it's super late game, but if someone can drop one or two for you, you can build around them. Unique R2 attacks as well.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Okay help me out here.

There are a couple of entries in the comments on the wiki about the Carian sword that look a bit promising. I never played with it. It seems like the cap is lowered a bit by the charge block aspect that the sword has.

i have never gotten that weapon art to hit at full power. I'd always get hit out of it or the boss moves out of the way.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    @EmperorSeth the great jar duelists are broken as fuck if you are playing online. It uses actual user builds so everyone is running minmaxed combos. It's a nightmare.

Turn off multiplayer and you get to fight the developer designed ones which are way more manageable

@MegaMan001 That's not an issue; I'm playing offline. Not for any tactical reason; I'm just being cheap. The generic fighters were still able to one-shot me with a riposte or parry, though, so I'll try again in 10 levels for so.

You can also kick / shield bash/ shield Crash them off the cliff too

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I LOVE the addition of the Night Sorceries, specifically night comet. Get invaded by AI invader, no problem just spam this little baby (NSFW mana consumption) and they just run in a straight line towards you while eating comets. Most of the enemies in the game will just walk in a straight line towards you while getting nailed by them as they're "invisible" magics.
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm working on a strength colossal sword build and that one feels great to me

tbf the big greatshield knights are kind of a worst case scenario, tanky, poised up relatively fast guys that can block. there are lots of parts on my first run where the build paid off a lot more. but i kind of took it for granted that katanas were OP and plugged along with them and it's like, man they have some real weaknesses if you're not juicing them up with unique weapon arts, buffs, or bleed shit

I gave it some thought, and I think a lot of my negative feelings around STR and DEX build I was mentioning came from bashing my head against the crucible knight in the gaol in stormwind. I got him in the end with the dex build, but then switched to STR and continued on, then I used the imbued key to go to nokron at the belfries and audibly groaned when I saw that one there, not knowing at the time he was completely optional. I beat him up eventually too (you'd think it'd be easier the 2nd time, but no) and said fuck it, then switched to faith for the rest of the game. One day I'm sure I'll try STR/DEX primary run again. But my arcane build is patiently waiting for me to start after my INT run is finished.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Okay help me out here.

I finished my first run with a strength broadsword character and felt pretty cheap through the back half.

heavy broadsword or blood broadsword depending on the fight. 40 vig, 30-35 end, 10 mind, 25 faith for Golden Vow and a bit of utility, and everything else in strength (had 91 when I was done iirc). buff with electrify armament or a grease when using heavy. You can do heavy longsword but know that it's worse as blood longsword on the same build thanks to being more of a quality weapon than broadsword (and has lower damage in general). You can also comfortably use a big fuck-off greatshield later in the game if you like, I was running fingerprint greatshield without any compromise or extra investment for the last few areas.

late game, use seppuku with Lord of Blood's Exultation and White Mask for a huge power boost. earlier game I specced enough Arc to use Swarm of Flies for bleed proccing to do the same on tougher bosses and enemies. or you can just use a blood weapon and/or grease to proc it naturally and get the bonus a bit more sporadically.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Okay help me out here.

carian knight is honestly pretty okay, i think i'll probably be using it on my next run

post-patch grandeur is very fast, charges almost as fast as a heavy weapon R2 and does big numbers

it's technically int/quality with a lean towards strength over dex, so you might want to run somewhat higher physical stats than the req to up the numbers a bit

statistically i think you can do a little better with a regular infused lordsworn/longsword/broadsword with Grandeur, but it'll change the R2, so ymmv. could also lazuli sword, which shares the moveset, but has glintsone pebble instead. statistically it'll be worse than carian, but glintstone pebble WA is very strong for damage and stance break

• Options
    Carian Knight and Crystal Sword can be competitive with appropriate builds with the damage output of a heavy broadsword, but you can't use weapon buffs, will struggle if something is magic resistant, and you're just generally less flexible than you would be with a broadsword for no benefit (they're competitive, but strength BS is still stronger after split damage tax on any reasonable RL150 build). You'll struggle to get the stats to use the good version of Golden Vow on the int/quality builds those want, which is so good I'd have trouble arguing to give it up.

• Options
    broadsword range and R2 sucks, i would use almost any other straight sword over it stats be damned

• Options
    edited May 2022
    broadsword range and R2 sucks, i would use almost any other straight sword over it stats be damned

Range is essentially identical to anything except maybe the NSS, which gives up a lot of damage.

I tested it heavily because I was convinced the range was bad and would warrant using something else and it just...isn't. I literally could not intentionally position myself such that I'd whiff with the Broadsword and hit with something else.

edit: you can also see that the BS looks stubbier than it actually is relative to the rest (it's almost indiscernable in length from the longsword), if you toggle your equip screen with R3 to make the right side disappear so you can swap swords and see the model get immediately replaced in your hand.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Kamar wrote: »

Range is essentially identical to anything except maybe the NSS, which gives up a lot of damage.

I tested it heavily because I was convinced the range was bad and would warrant using something else and it just...isn't. I literally could not intentionally position myself such that I'd whiff with the Broadsword and hit with something else.

edit: you can also see that the BS looks stubbier than it actually is relative to the rest (it's almost indiscernable longsword), if you toggle your equip screen with R3 to make the right side disappear so you can swap swords and see the model get immediately replaced in your hand.
    fair, but i'd still rather have the thrust on the R2

carian knight actually does have a little bit of a range advantage over the broadsword, but the horizontal R2 probably minimizes the profit you get out of it (the block frame gimmick is neat tho, if not particularly practical)

Elendil on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2022
    I read Berserk, watched both animes... I love me some Berserk.

So, of course, the greatsword with the running light attack where it scrapes the ground while you wind it up spoke to my soul.

Clearly every smithing stone, Heavy Ashes of War, and all my strength leveling. Forever and always.

If only I could don his armor.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I read Berserk, watched both animes... I love me some Berserk.

So, of course, the greatsword with the running light attack where it scrapes the ground while you wind it up spoke to my soul.

Clearly every smithing stone, Heavy Ashes of War, and all my strength leveling. Forever and always.

If only I could don his armor.

Blaidd's set is probably as close as you'll get without modding.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So I was merrily doing Ranni's quest chain when the city sent me in a coffinvator to another area. I had no idea what this area is for and long story short

Basilisks can still eat my ass

Apparently I just did a shortcut on an NPC's quest chain

And oh shit I just backdoored my way to the end of the game apparently??? I snuck around, found a grace point, and Melina was just like "thanks for the piggy back ride, byeeeeeee."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So I was merrily doing Ranni's qiest chain when the city sent me in a coffinvator to another area. I had no idea what this area is for and long story short

Basilicks can still eat my ass

Apparently I just did a shortcut on an NPC's quest chain

And oh shit I just backdoored my way to the end of the game apparently??? I snuck around, found a grace point, and Melina was just like "thanks for the piggy back ride, byeeeeeee."

You've still got plenty left, no worries

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Oh definitely. I ported the hell out of there once I found the grace point to go back to my regularly scheduled adventures. I have a looong way to go before I'll touch end game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I was plowing through this game with my shiny new wretch->str/int build and I took a break from Raya Lucaria to go check out Carian Manor. Figured out would have some cool magic loot.

Immediately got literally spanked by an armada of giant hands.

Nice reality check there.

They really

REALLY

hate fire. Like, a unique freak out animation and everything. Firebombs, fire spells, fire ashes of war, any of it, will give you quite a window on the big hands.

Hmmmmmmm.

Need to get me some fire spells. 🔥 🔥 🔥

Firebombs scale with STR, are mega easy to make, and you can always make up to your limit when out of combat.

They are a lovely ranged option for my character that has to put mind on the back burner for like, the next forty levels or so.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Speaking of funny things that scale with STR, did y'all know Godefrey is WILDLY vulnerable to kukri spam? It's hilarious how fast they burn his ass down while keeping you perfectly safe. Dude gets chunked by the proc in a huge way.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    The game is crashing on me like crazy.

I've gone from having never had any crashes to about 8 different freezes / CTDs / and/or breaking graphical glitches in the past two days.

If you're using steam, you can go to the games properties and try "verify game file integrity" it actually solved crashing bugs for me twice. (This will take a while, and it'll be like "checked 60gb, redownloaded 2 files"

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    RDT_20220510_102248359141103132011441.jpg

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I've been playing since release day but am still working through my first playthrough. I'm up to Radagan, but am first going around and cleaning up a number of other bosses that I left for later.

Last night, I beat Placidusax and Malenia in the space of 45 glorious and exultant minutes, after a least a dozen failed attempts on the dragon and probably double that many deaths against Miquella's blade. My heart nearly stopped when I had Malenia down to about 15% health on her final form: my Black Knife Tiche summon hit her with that Red Flame effect and I was rolling like a crazy person just hoping that she wouldn't manage to get a hit in on me and heal before the flame damage took her down.

WOOT.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I've been playing since release day but am still working through my first playthrough. I'm up to Radagan, but am first going around and cleaning up a number of other bosses that I left for later.

Last night, I beat Placidusax and Malenia in the space of 45 glorious and exultant minutes, after a least a dozen failed attempts on the dragon and probably double that many deaths against Miquella's blade. My heart nearly stopped when I had Malenia down to about 15% health on her final form: my Black Knife Tiche summon hit her with that Red Flame effect and I was rolling like a crazy person just hoping that she wouldn't manage to get a hit in on me and heal before the flame damage took her down.

WOOT.

pff, used a summon, doesnt count ;p

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

WOOT.

pff, used a summon, doesnt count ;p

Happy to admit I'm playing easy mode for losers. A summon and a bleed build on top of that!

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Nah, fuck that silly shit. It's a video game, and you played it fair and square.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I’ve seen a lot of love for tiche but I haven’t found her yet. Right now it’s just me, an imitation of me, and these 5 skelly wild bois with nothing but greatshield smashes

• Options
    I’ve seen a lot of love for tiche but I haven’t found her yet. Right now it’s just me, an imitation of me, and these 5 skelly wild bois with nothing but greatshield smashes

Tiche has a special death-element projectile move that applies a damage-over-time effect that really does a number on a bunch of bosses. It tore 2000 hp or so off Malenia each time it hit.

• Options
    Grislo wrote: »
    Nah, fuck that silly shit. It's a video game, and you played it fair and square.

Sorry, the sarcasm in my comment wasn't super clear from context. :)

• Options
    edited May 2022

Tiche has a special death-element projectile move that applies a damage-over-time effect that really does a number on a bunch of bosses. It tore 2000 hp or so off Malenia each time it hit.

It is the same that you can use in the Black Knife. There is also the Sacred Blade too that does more dot dmg (holy too of course) i think but doesnt do the max hp loss.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    The fight to get Tiche is also incredibly difficult.
    It's basically malenia lite without the 2nd phase.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

The shield guys are like... AAA tier. I love those little dudes.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    The fight to get Tiche is also incredibly difficult.
    It's basically malenia lite without the 2nd phase.

I had more problems with Tiche than Malenia. Tiche cannot be staggered by bleeds and Malenia can.

This discussion has been closed.