As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Books And Their Covers

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Books And Their Covers!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Books And Their Covers

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    ioresultioresult Registered User new member
    I love Alastair Reynolds. Not for the covers though.
    BTW, Terminal World was published in 2010. It's not a new book. I just finished Inhibitor Phase and it's excellent.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    ioresult wrote: »
    I love Alastair Reynolds. Not for the covers though.

Yeah, but they're commenting on RL Mike's often discussed habit of literally judging a book by its cover. He's a man with specific needs.

Reynolds is great. Only ever disliked on book book of his (Blue Remembered Earth, which made my not read the rest of the trilogy). He's similar to Banks, but with a different flavor.
    BTW, Terminal World was published in 2010. It's not a new book. I just finished Inhibitor Phase and it's excellent.

I was confused about this as well. Inhibitor Phase was good, but it really did remind me of just how much I've forgotten about the Revelation Space series.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    I always preferred fantasy myself, but at least Gabe is geeking out over a sci-fi series that isn't Star Wars for once.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Fun fact: I avoided reading any Alastair Reynolds for close to ten years because the only thing I knew was it was Mike's 2nd choice when he ran out of Star Wars books. I'm not denigrating Star War's novels, just not my thing. Eventually I got actual recommendations and started reading his stuff. I like it quite a bit.

Specifically it started with this newspost of Gabe's:
    I can blame Tycho but it’s honestly my fault. I have a very strict set of rules when it comes to choosing books and I didn’t follow them here. The first rule is to only read Star Wars books. Now if that’s not possible because a new one is not available I have a second set of rules that kicks in. The book must have a picture of an alien planet, a space station or a space ship on the cover. This means that I end up reading a lot of Alastair Reynolds. Sometimes that son of a bitch will have a cover with a space station orbiting an alien planet while launching a space ship! The holy trinity!

It's related to this classic comic:
    wka10ab77hr9.png

• Options
    OlafmetalOlafmetal Registered User new member
    Cover art can vary a bit wildly depending on the country its published in. The US covers for the Expanse series are pretty bla but the Polish ones make me want to read that shit.C5WsQ9PMpwCFdf2F1gptijC7RxgCxndPilvT5pzOFlo.jpg?auto=webp&s=3ebaa26249fcc5ec7a69127d0e0a05968819bea4

• Options
    edited May 2022
    For whatever reason, Poland often has better art than the US and other releases of various things. Here's a board game with the US art vs the art in the Polish version:
    nsjto8w0vvab.png
    Photo Credit

(Though some people prefer the US art because it's easier to read at a glance and across a table.)

You might say it just looks more... polished.

dennis on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Olafmetal wrote: »
    Cover art can vary a bit wildly depending on the country its published in. The US covers for the Expanse series are pretty bla but the Polish ones make me want to read that shit.
    C5WsQ9PMpwCFdf2F1gptijC7RxgCxndPilvT5pzOFlo.jpg?auto=webp&s=3ebaa26249fcc5ec7a69127d0e0a05968819bea4

Those are quite rad. Fun fact: authors often haven't seen all the covers for foreign editions of their work.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Cover art can vary a bit wildly depending on the country its published in. The US covers for the Expanse series are pretty bla but the Polish ones make me want to read that shit.C5WsQ9PMpwCFdf2F1gptijC7RxgCxndPilvT5pzOFlo.jpg?auto=webp&s=3ebaa26249fcc5ec7a69127d0e0a05968819bea4

Counting from left to right, #5 looks like it'd fit right in with the 'urban fantasy books' Gabe's talking about in today's comic.

The others are pretty great though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I just realized something. He's holding up Terminal World, with this cover:
    o1w3yo9uy2w3.png

It does not feature a spaceship, as the action is contained entirely on the planet. They don't seem to even have any spaceships (anymore). I don't get that cover. I don't know if it's supposed to be taken from the moon of the planet involved, from the planet involved, from a totally different planet in the solar system, or what. I don't think planets ever really came into it, other than it being set on one.

It's a weird book, quite unlike most of his other work. I really liked it but it took some work to wrap my brain around. This cover is not only more accurate, but also arguably much more rad:
    u2a6qf2p2od5.png

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    #5 could be a sci-fi Chuck Tingle cover.

• Options
    Sven VikingSven Viking Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hard Magic actually turned out to be a surprisingly good book.
    Cover art can vary a bit wildly depending on the country its published in. The US covers for the Expanse series are pretty bla but the Polish ones make me want to read that shit.
    Often similar for video game covers in different regions, e.g. Mega Man or Dark/Demon’s Souls box art.

Sven Viking on
  • Options
    oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular
    From the blog post, I think Jerry might have forgotten that he’s read Alistair Reynolds before. I read Chasm City because he talked about it in this very blog.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    I've tried a few Alistair Reynolds books, but I generally prefer Peter F Hamilton for that very specific type of sci fi feel.

• Options
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    I've tried a few Alistair Reynolds books, but I generally prefer Peter F Hamilton for that very specific type of sci fi feel.

I like Reynolds a whole lot more because the plot moves along. I can take Hamilton in standalone books, but series are torture.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Hard Magic actually turned out to be a surprisingly good book.
    Often similar for video game covers in different regions, e.g. Mega Man or Dark/Demon’s Souls box art.

I couldn't pick up Hard Magic because "The Grimnoir Chronicles" evokes too many thoughts and emotions, most of them negative

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Sven VikingSven Viking Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I couldn't pick up Hard Magic because "The Grimnoir Chronicles" evokes too many thoughts and emotions, most of them negative
    Yeah I had low expectations for largely the same reason.

• Options
    HighPriestofZuulHighPriestofZuul Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Yeah I had low expectations for largely the same reason.
    Actually, this is also one of the reasons I haven't tried Reynolds yet. Every time I think about buying an Alastair Reynolds book, I am confronted with the fact that he has written a book called "Revenger", and I physically recoil, as if I've accidentally touched a hot stove.

I know that a name doesn't necessarily sink a book, much less an author's entire body of work. Maybe it's great! But I don't think I'll ever get past the initial hurdle, considering how many other books I could buy that are not titled "Revenger". It could be the best book ever written, and I'll never know.

• Options
    oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular

[/quote]
    Actually, this is also one of the reasons I haven't tried Reynolds yet. Every time I think about buying an Alastair Reynolds book, I am confronted with the fact that he has written a book called "Revenger", and I physically recoil, as if I've accidentally touched a hot stove.

I know that a name doesn't necessarily sink a book, much less an author's entire body of work. Maybe it's great! But I don't think I'll ever get past the initial hurdle, considering how many other books I could buy that are not titled "Revenger". It could be the best book ever written, and I'll never know.[/quote]

“Revenger is very different from his other stuff and within the story, “Revenger” is the name of a ship. Reynolds doesn’t actually think it’s a word.

• Options
    Revenger is part of his space pirates trilogy. It's a little bit intentionally cheesy, but not so much that it makes the story bad.

• Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    Is now when I admit that I assumed "The Witcher" was part of the The Song Of The Sorcelator for multiple years?

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • Options
    doompooky wrote: »
    Is now when I admit that I assumed "The Witcher" was part of the The Song Of The Sorcelator for multiple years?

You're not alone in questioning its validity.

snipmek5i40h.png

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've heard from someone who likes book-binding that Ushinawareru monogatari hardcover-edition has a good cover. Not paperback edition, though.

• Options
    CrimeRobotCrimeRobot Registered User regular
    All this "Revenger" talk just reminds me of The Brak Show's take on Hamlet, in which Brak's dead Dad's ghost declares "I want revengeance, boy!", and how happy I was when they made a Metal Gear spin-off called "Metal Gear: Revengeance".

"We programmed him to think only of crime!" - Enrico Matassa