As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    You don't have to defend the bedsheet deformation engine, y'all! You don't! You can just acknowledge it's absurd!

sav4LjT.png

It's all very silly.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    And for that matter, CIG has solved nothing. Outside of alpha testing some concepts that don't really seem to work, CIG has yet to actually create something revolutionary. There's talk about it, sure. And, as said above, there's a lot of "IF, IF, IF" in every statement.

They've stated that they have made supplementary income from licensing some of the tech they have created, but cannot reveal any details. Even if that is complete bullshit I can't think of any other games where I can have a firefight in a massive underground cave, climb back up to the surface, get in a spaceship, fly up through the atmosphere until I am in low orbit, then quantum jump to another planet on the other side of the system millions of km away, get interdicted by pirates partway through, have a space dogfight, quantum jump to a nearby space station to repair the damage I took, buy a coffee and a new holo sight for my rifle while I'm there, get back in my ship, quantum travel to my original destination, fly down from orbit directly to the surface, land, open my rear cargo door, get in my space truck, drive it from the landing site to a nearby bunker, enter the bunker and take an elevator down a few floors, kill a bunch of people inside, loot their corpses, and go back up the elevator, back into the space truck, drive back to my ship and park it inside, then flying back up into orbit all without seeing a single loading screen whatsoever.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Bedsheet deformation is very dumb.

Anyway, on not SQ42 news, Fleet week is coming up, letting people play for free and fly around with a bunch of ships, so if anyone's curious about seeing where the hell SC is at right now, that's a good opportunity.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I want to repeat that quote again, and really emphasize a couple of elements.
    We knew early on that, to hit the fidelity we expect for Sq42, we would need to do some R&D on bedsheet deformation. This work is currently underway and, if successful, will allow the AI to deform their sheets when entering, exiting, or sleeping inside them. This is a challenging assignment and expands the complexity of the feature. For example, what happens to the sheets if the AI needs to exit the bed in an emergency?

So, in order of the bolded there.

One, why? What about realistically modeling fabric physics for a specific use case jumped out as something that would be required early on? What was so critical to this that prevented somebody from proposing a lore reason that sheets just aren’t an issue? Like, off the cuff, beds have sheets built into them, essentially a sleeping bag mattress, just a pocket you slide into.

Two, for as insane as this all is, they’re still hedging that it may or may not be successful, whatever that would mean in this crazy hypothetical where bed sheets are critical to the experience of space travel. I genuinely appreciate the humbleness, but why was this an experiment worth conducting in the first place if there’s no clear gameplay (or even aesthetic) goal and no expectation that the tech will even work?

Three, I don’t know what happens, because that’s a gameplay decision. Are they suggesting that it might be interesting if a certain AI crew member gets caught in their sheets and can’t get to their station? If a loose sheet started working it’s way through the ship, causing extra chaos in a chaotic situation? Because, sure, those are fun stories, but neither of those actually requires complex bedsheet physics, or bedsheets at all, from a gameplay perspective. The AI could trip, or panic and go to the wrong post. Simple boxes and debris could float around in zero-g, obstructing your view or activating random controls.

It’s not a prioritization issue that makes this sound insane to me, it’s that you don’t even arrive at this point unless the decision making process has become completely unhinged from how a human brain operates with any constraints or direction. For the jaw-dropping amount of money that went into this, I honestly wonder how much runway they actually have left to deliver a product. Companies like Valve can spend years twiddling with random tech to see what’s fun because they have a steady income stream outside of those experiments.

I swear, I’m really not trying to pour salt on the fun that anybody is having with this experience right now. But the implications of that update are just absolutely baffling to me.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I would bet money that the UE5 fabric simulation is already ahead of what lumberyard has.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just start again in UE5 to be honest. You can't run development 10+ years on a game, the general industry tech moves too fast for that.

Basically all these 'features' feel like stalling as they can't figure out server meshing and the game is basically dead without that.

They're definitely missing out on the pretty amazing proprietary rendering advances Epic has made, but they probably aren't going to see their core needs (bulk content authoring / networked systems) addressed by a stock engine anytime soon.

Re: Stalling - At one point, probably, but S42 doesn't need server meshing, and they seem to have been be moving on that pretty steadily now. The storyboarding ('Designing, implementing, and iterating on' chapters 1-27) is allegedly scheduled for completion next quarter, but according to the tracker, that's all only been in work for a little more than a year.

Prior to that? Probably a mixed bag of procrastination-via-feature-creep, routine delays from things being harder than anticipated, and almost definitely several years of prioritizing SC over S42 for various funding/interest/personal* reasons.

*Personal, as in, Chris Roberts has spent the last 20 years being famously unsatisfied with making another linear, SP, Wing Commander game; and probably resented the idea of making S42 before proving out SC.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would bet money that the UE5 fabric simulation is already ahead of what lumberyard has.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just start again in UE5 to be honest. You can't run development 10+ years on a game, the general industry tech moves too fast for that.

Basically all these 'features' feel like stalling as they can't figure out server meshing and the game is basically dead without that.

They're definitely missing out on the pretty amazing proprietary rendering advances Epic has made, but they probably aren't going to see their core needs (bulk content authoring / networked systems) addressed by a stock engine anytime soon.

Re: Stalling - At one point, probably, but S42 doesn't need server meshing, and they seem to have been be moving on that pretty steadily now. The storyboarding ('Designing, implementing, and iterating on' chapters 1-27) is allegedly scheduled for completion next quarter, but according to the tracker, that's all only been in work for a little more than a year.

Prior to that? Probably a mixed bag of procrastination-via-feature-creep, routine delays from things being harder than anticipated, and almost definitely several years of prioritizing SC over S42 for various funding/interest/personal* reasons.

*Personal, as in, Chris Roberts has spent the last 20 years being famously unsatisfied with making another linear, SP, Wing Commander game; and probably resented the idea of making S42 before proving out SC.

The current engine doesn't do any of that well, at least to a degree that makes online playable. It's impossible to say what they are doing, just when I see stuff like fabric physics being thrown in, it does not paint a pretty picture.

At least with UE they have some games - although a lot more basic - to connect 100+ players together.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    my favorite star citizen engine thing is/was space being underwater and everything being extremely tiny in-engine to get around cryengines map limitations

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    And for that matter, CIG has solved nothing. Outside of alpha testing some concepts that don't really seem to work, CIG has yet to actually create something revolutionary. There's talk about it, sure. And, as said above, there's a lot of "IF, IF, IF" in every statement.

They've stated that they have made supplementary income from licensing some of the tech they have created, but cannot reveal any details. Even if that is complete bullshit I can't think of any other games where I can have a firefight in a massive underground cave, climb back up to the surface, get in a spaceship, fly up through the atmosphere until I am in low orbit, then quantum jump to another planet on the other side of the system millions of km away, get interdicted by pirates partway through, have a space dogfight, quantum jump to a nearby space station to repair the damage I took, buy a coffee and a new holo sight for my rifle while I'm there, get back in my ship, quantum travel to my original destination, fly down from orbit directly to the surface, land, open my rear cargo door, get in my space truck, drive it from the landing site to a nearby bunker, enter the bunker and take an elevator down a few floors, kill a bunch of people inside, loot their corpses, and go back up the elevator, back into the space truck, drive back to my ship and park it inside, then flying back up into orbit all without seeing a single loading screen whatsoever.

You can do 90% of that in No Man's Sky.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I mean the logic after sheets is 'oh but they'll be not dressed, we have to design AI tech for them to get dressed and dynamically pull clothing items from nearby inventories' and it's like no, no you don't. In a situation where there's an emergency in the story just have all that shit in a pre-rendered chaotic scene and have the player fade into control in the dorms with everyone already having done that and then they leave.

Even if you didn't want to do that, no one is going to ride you for having NPCs sleeping on top of their cots in flightsuits. Come on.

• Options
    edited May 2022

The current engine doesn't do any of that well, at least to a degree that makes online playable. It's impossible to say what they are doing, just when I see stuff like fabric physics being thrown in, it does not paint a pretty picture.

At least with UE they have some games - although a lot more basic - to connect 100+ players together.

I can guarantee part of it is/was still fighting with fucking Lumberyard.

Circa ~2012ish, Cryengine 3 struck me as a throwback in terms of user friendliness next to UE4, but I believe it was free(?) at the time. I suspect they would be much further along if they had just coughed up the 5% royalty to Epic. (Which still seems like a steal at, what, like 20-25 million now?)

The bedsheet cloth physics sounds/is absurd, but it's probably not a huge lift, resource wise. There's already a system (either stock or plugin), they're using for other stuff, and decided to explore applying it to bedsheets people are sitting on because they're giant nerds and they've definitely got time. I just hope they release some early video of everyone's beds exploding when they wake up, showering passers by in sheets.

The stuff that makes me scratch my head is the inventory system lag. I get that they are validating item transactions, and that this is necessary to avoid duping, and a thing they need to test; but it really drags down gameplay for the deeply unimportant area of making sure two people can't pick up copies the same item; which is all that seems likely to happens if you let the client drive that interaction.

And if they haven't spent hours breaking rocks in Klescher, and a third as many picking those rocks back up, well, it must be nice. Jerks.

(I can see how a desync picking up a rock can cause snowballing effects that would be impossible to unwind in a way that wasn't even more frustrating, but I maintain that the frequency:magnitude ratio tilts in favor of the thing that I want.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Maybe don't be a criminal if you don't want to be stuck mining rocks.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

I was about to say the same thing, except that No Man's Sky also has a ton more content on top of that. The only different is you don't fight humanoids in NMS, only robots and monstrous aliens.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Dac wrote: »
    I mean the logic after sheets is 'oh but they'll be not dressed, we have to design AI tech for them to get dressed and dynamically pull clothing items from nearby inventories' and it's like no, no you don't. In a situation where there's an emergency in the story just have all that shit in a pre-rendered chaotic scene and have the player fade into control in the dorms with everyone already having done that and then they leave.

Even if you didn't want to do that, no one is going to ride you for having NPCs sleeping on top of their cots in flightsuits. Come on.
    Ffs: Just put the monkey paw down.
    s5naltzi9lqa.jpg
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Maybe don't be a criminal if you don't want to be stuck mining rocks.

Who are you? My father? He broke rocks for Shubin until the day he died.

That ain't freedom, man.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    *meant to edit*

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

Can I do it with 49 other people?

• Options

32 total in an instance.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I don't think you can do that with 49 people in SC without the games performance and server stability folding itself into a pretzel

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

32 total in an instance.

Interesting. It sounds like a fully featured, complete game that would scratch someone's star pilot itch. I wonder why a group of people who like space sims would waste their time shitposting in a Star Citizen thread when they could just go play No Man's Sky instead?

• Options

32 total in an instance.

Interesting. It sounds like a fully featured, complete game that would scratch someone's star pilot itch. I wonder why a group of people who like space sims would waste their time shitposting in a Star Citizen thread when they could just go play No Man's Sky instead?

Because Star Citizen is a hilarious mess and this is the thread for laughing at it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

32 total in an instance.

Now, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've found that NMS's space combat to be incredibly weak, shallow, and overall a missed opportunity. On the other hand, I don't play NMS to feel like totally-not-Boba-Fett, but rather to run around on planets and make a new addition to one of my dozen or so outposts.

Basically:

No Man's Sky: Minecraft in space
    Star Citizen: ARMA in space (edit, or maybe DCS in space)

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Also see: A lot of people (like me) already played a ton of NMS and am ready for the next disaster of a game to redeem itself.

• Options

32 total in an instance.

That's the beauty of crowd-sourcing a game. Most of us have dropped hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. We've earned the right to discuss and/or criticize any and all aspects of Star Citizen.

I've found the discussion both enjoyable and enlightening, and will continue to partake.

Pointing out the absurdity that is Star Citizen is not equal to shitposting. Looking over the last few pages, tons of criticism and discussion. Very little shitposting.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, kick @SmokeStacks

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A duck!. @SmokeStacks banned from this thread.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There, now you have time to try it out, too!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    With a topical hat too!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    all those "game industry insider" tirades about how everything in SC development is super smart and make perfect sense fall apart when you remember games get made and released all the time!
    sure, none of them are so ambitious and detailed... maybe that's why they actually get made and released.

I'd support a ban on all bedsheets in games forever if it got me to play "modern good looking Wing Commander".

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh man...I've always wished that I could put a Nova tank in my Valkyrie.

But now, I desperately want a Nova and an M2 Hercules (I know it's a C2 in the video...but an M2 fits my personality a little better).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHR0oPXDn0

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    all those "game industry insider" tirades about how everything in SC development is super smart and make perfect sense fall apart when you remember games get made and released all the time!
    sure, none of them are so ambitious and detailed... maybe that's why they actually get made and released.

I'd support a ban on all bedsheets in games forever if it got me to play "modern good looking Wing Commander".

Will you consider lifting the ban on Blanketfort Tech if they promise to meet you half way and deliver on allowing NPCs to play a new Wing Commander?
    Work on the arcade machine feature was finalized last month, which included polishing the machine’s male and female animations. The team also utilized the new ‘geometry slaving’ feature from AI Tech: instead of playing a joystick animation, the joystick is attached to the NPC’s hand and moves when it does.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I want to repeat that quote again, and really emphasize a couple of elements.
    We knew early on that, to hit the fidelity we expect for Sq42, we would need to do some R&D on bedsheet deformation. This work is currently underway and, if successful, will allow the AI to deform their sheets when entering, exiting, or sleeping inside them. This is a challenging assignment and expands the complexity of the feature. For example, what happens to the sheets if the AI needs to exit the bed in an emergency?

So, in order of the bolded there.

One, why? What about realistically modeling fabric physics for a specific use case jumped out as something that would be required early on? What was so critical to this that prevented somebody from proposing a lore reason that sheets just aren’t an issue? Like, off the cuff, beds have sheets built into them, essentially a sleeping bag mattress, just a pocket you slide into.

Two, for as insane as this all is, they’re still hedging that it may or may not be successful, whatever that would mean in this crazy hypothetical where bed sheets are critical to the experience of space travel. I genuinely appreciate the humbleness, but why was this an experiment worth conducting in the first place if there’s no clear gameplay (or even aesthetic) goal and no expectation that the tech will even work?

Three, I don’t know what happens, because that’s a gameplay decision. Are they suggesting that it might be interesting if a certain AI crew member gets caught in their sheets and can’t get to their station? If a loose sheet started working it’s way through the ship, causing extra chaos in a chaotic situation? Because, sure, those are fun stories, but neither of those actually requires complex bedsheet physics, or bedsheets at all, from a gameplay perspective. The AI could trip, or panic and go to the wrong post. Simple boxes and debris could float around in zero-g, obstructing your view or activating random controls.

It’s not a prioritization issue that makes this sound insane to me, it’s that you don’t even arrive at this point unless the decision making process has become completely unhinged from how a human brain operates with any constraints or direction. For the jaw-dropping amount of money that went into this, I honestly wonder how much runway they actually have left to deliver a product. Companies like Valve can spend years twiddling with random tech to see what’s fun because they have a steady income stream outside of those experiments.

I swear, I’m really not trying to pour salt on the fun that anybody is having with this experience right now. But the implications of that update are just absolutely baffling to me.

obviously for those times where the ai wakes up at night and has to pee so bad

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Meh, no reason to be catty.

dporowski on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

32 total in an instance.

Now, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've found that NMS's space combat to be incredibly weak, shallow, and overall a missed opportunity. On the other hand, I don't play NMS to feel like totally-not-Boba-Fett, but rather to run around on planets and make a new addition to one of my dozen or so outposts.

Basically:

No Man's Sky: Minecraft in space
    Star Citizen: ARMA in space (edit, or maybe DCS in space)

Yeah the games have a very different feel, and I did enjoy what I played of NMS but the space combat was non-existent when I played. I think the last update - Outlaws - improved on it. I should give it another shot since there has been many updates since I last tried it.

Still, I want what SC is trying to offer. I just don't think it's going to get across the finish line.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Things I will argue against: Star Citizen is a scam
    Things I won't argue against: Chris Roberts is an idiot

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So I finally finished watching that Jackfrags video I linked above. I gotta say, it's rad af that you can be piloting a Hercules transport, open your cargo bay doors and have a tank driver inside your hold shoot at other ships flying around your ship.

Also, 'catching' said tank after the enthusiastic driver accidentally drives it out of the Hercules and is tumbling around in space is hella impressive. Kinda reminds me of a DCS video of an F-18 doing a mid-air refuel from the aerial tanker that got shot down and is in the process of crashing to the ground.

• Options
    So that video finally convinced me to redownload Star Citizen to see this for myself.

I'll reserve judgement, but nothing in that video game me even the slightest hint of an industry-changing-next-generation-highest-fidelity game of all time. If that video had just been sent to me randomly, my guess would've been a new Early Access Steam game, than Star Citizen.

But for the sake of thread decorum, I'll spend a few hours tooting around SC before I comment further.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Star Citizen is missing a lot of features still, missing permanent persistence (it has temporary persistence that can be wiped at any time), and still missing the major piece of core tech -- server meshing.

But the alpha game that exists and is playable right now is really good and fun for approximately 30-60 hours before it gets stale. I know that's a fairly big range, but not everyone has an interest in trying every profession in the game. So if you don't care about cargo hauling or mining, it will decrease your time.

The game is fun though. Especially multi-crew. If you can get on a Hammerhead with like 3 other people and just fly around blasting missions, the game is loads of fun. Bunker missions and cave missions are also a lot of fun.

SC has an incredibly bad stigma attached to it, but the product that exists and is playable right now is a very enjoyable experience, even if it's not feature-complete.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Yeah, like most sandboxes Star Citizen is definitely more fun when you're playing with other people, ESPECIALLY when you start doing things like trying to shove your ship into the cargo bay of another ship and jump out of yours before everything goes terribly terribly wrong

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The tractor beam makes me wonder if there's going to be goofy things like people, instead of loading bombs (I'm sure they'll want players doing that themselves somehow *eyeroll*), people will just hold them in tractor beams and drop them out of the cargo doors of whatever ship can fit them in their internal geometry.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    The tractor beam makes me wonder if there's going to be goofy things like people, instead of loading bombs (I'm sure they'll want players doing that themselves somehow *eyeroll*), people will just hold them in tractor beams and drop them out of the cargo doors of whatever ship can fit them in their internal geometry.

Watching them tow that crate is soooo close to my dream of being able to sky surf from the back of a Nomad. I think they only plan to let you use them to grapple in space, but I'm hoping the prospect of giving marines the ability to skyhook back into a hovering Valkyrie will sufficiently tempt them to implement it in atmosphere.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I could go for some in-atmosphere skyhook action just because I've stupidly "lost" my ship by leaving it hovering above a wreck or something, and then not being able to re-board later. Some of those wreck exploration missions are a bit jumping puzzley, and I've done crazy things with parking my ship to try to shortcut the jumping puzzle, and it almost always ends with me not being able to get back onto my ship.

This discussion has been closed.