As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nemesis Distress, Defend the Bits TD & American Theft 80s out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited June 2022 in Social Entropy++
20220510 Salt and Sacrifice ( Action RPG)
The Unlosing Ranger is on his way to save Japan from Darkdeath Evilman when disaster strikes and he is struck by a car! With his dying breath he bequeaths his morphing belt to the true hero of the story: the most average boy in the universe. Will he rise to the challenge?
20220510 ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman (RPG JRPG Turn-Based Strategy 2D Anime )
Makai Kingdom is the story of Overlord Zetta, who accidentally destroys his own Netherworld. In order to save himself, he seals his soul inside a book. Reduced to nothing more than a tome, Zetta is forced to enlist the help of his fellow Overlords to get his netherworld (and his body) back.
20220510 Makai Kingdom: Reclaimed and Rebound (RPG Strategy JRPG Turn-Based Strategy 2D )
A turn-based strategy adventure game that fuses RPG, tactical combat and kingdom management. Raise mighty armies, wield ancient magic and conquer distant lands to build an empire that bards will sing about for centuries!
20220510 Songs of Conquest (Strategy Pixel Graphics Turn-Based Strategy 2D)
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is an action RPG set in the same world as Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Features town-upgrading mechanics, fast-paced combat. A prequel to the world of the Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.
20220510 Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (Adventure RPG Action RPG Action-Adventure )
You both awaken imprisoned inside the sinister Castle Rock - were you betrayed, or simply not that clever? Find out in the newest co-op puzzle adventure in the We Were Here Series! Do you and your partner have what it takes to face the dark forces of this realm or will you be trapped… forever?
20220510 We Were Here Forever (Exploration Puzzle Online Co-Op Escape Room)
The title granted to those who choose to bravely fight against the corroded ones were known as the scripters. As a scripter solve and use the power of words to control your monsters and defeat your enemy.
20220509 Scripted Souls (Early Access Creature Collector Word Game 2)
A dark and atmospheric third person RPG with turn-based combat, puzzles, and a focus on exploration. Acquire party members and make choices that shape the world around you. Discover secrets lurking behind every corner!
20220509 The Inn Between: Prologue (Adventure Strategy RPG Turn-Based Combat 3D)
Deadly Broadcast is a co-op horror and survival game that can be played with 1-4 people. Destroy the hearts that give life to patients turned half-human, half-devil by a scientist before they kill you. Survive and keep streaming no matter what!
20220509 Deadly Broadcast (Early Access Survival Horror Horror Surviva)
The Cleaner is a hardcore die 'n' retry inspired by John Wick, Hotline Miami and SuperHot. You control a highly-trained cleaner with a unique power. No cliché storyline, no cutscenes, start the game and play.
20220505 The Cleaner (Gore Violent FPS Action Shooter Linear)
Explore a beautiful and Enigmatic Victorian Manor with a dark secret, In this narrative horror first person exploration puzzle game filled with fine art, secret passages and mysterious mechanical puzzles playing as the executor of the last will from the enigmatic Railroad Magnate Hadley Strangre.
20220505 The Inheritance of Crimson Manor (Escape Room Puzzle Exploration First-Person)
As a vow to his dying Master, the young swordsman Hiroki is sworn to protect his town and the people he loves against all threats. Faced with tragedy and bound to duty, the lone samurai must voyage beyond life and death to confront himself and decide his path forward.

20220505 Trek to Yomi (Action Adventure Action-Adventure Cinematic )
A new type of multiplayer RTS-style game with elements from 4X, Wargame, Auto Battler, and Real-Time Tactics genres. Draw commands and execute a superior strategy to win over your opponent without the need for micro-management.
20220505 Line War (Strategy RTS Multiplayer PvP 4X Wargame )
Roleplaying in the ruins of interplanetary capitalism. Live the life of an escaped worker, washed-up on a lawless station at the edge of an interstellar society. Inspired by the flexibility and freedom of TTRPGs, explore the station, choose your friends, escape your past and change your future.
20220505 Citizen Sleeper (RPG Cyberpunk Tabletop Choices Matter 3D )
Lead humanity’s greatest weapon, the Grey Knights, in this fast-paced turn-based tactical RPG. Root out and purge a galaxy-spanning plague in a cinematic, story-driven campaign, using the tactics and talents of your own personalised squad of Daemonhunters.
20220505 Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters (Warhammer 40K Turn-Based Strategy Strategy RPG )
A roguelike adventure board game where you build a party, draw adventure cards, roll dice and fight monsters to defeat the sorcerer and his magic
20220504 Dark Quest: Board Game (Early Access Roguelike Dungeon Crawler RPG)
Become a real paleontologist, explore various environments and search for dinosaur fossils. Dig for and study the remnants of these majestic creatures to learn about their evolution. Build your own museum and experience an immersive background story.
20220504 Dinosaur Fossil Hunter (Simulation Mining Dinosaurs Building Sandbox )
Wildcat Gun Machine is a bullet hell dungeon crawler where you take on hordes of disgusting flesh beasts with a wide variety of guns, giant mech robots, and cute kittens. 20220504 Wildcat Gun Machine (Bullet Hell Action Twin Stick Shooter Difficult)
Adventure across a Wild West world in a rickety, steampunk airship! Inspired by the likes of Firefly and the classic CRPGs of old. A unique setting filled with rich lore, deep stories, and adventure! Contend with outlaws, gunslingers, and bounty hunters in an epic quest for redemption and revenge!
20220503 Age of Grit (Early Access Steampunk CRPG Story Rich 2D)
Grid Miner is a real-time strategy puzzle game where you mine asteroids to gather resources and expand your space station. Unlock new tools and utilities as you progress through levels. Maintain your quotas and learn more about your employer and coworkers at Hypergo Industries.
20220503 Grid Miner (Strategy Casual Building Puzzle Story Rich)
Get up before dawn and see what it's like to be a baker! Learn to bake several dozen types of bread. Use realistic bakery machines. Deliver orders to stores, earn, and invest. Use original recipes or experiment with ingredients.
20220503 Bakery Simulator (Simulation Time Management Indie Economy )
Oaken is a tactical turn-based roguelike set in a mythical place. Explore the Great Oak, gather allies and enhancements, learn to use the positioning for your advantage, choose how to upgrade your cards.
20220503 Oaken (Early Access Turn-Based Tactics Card Battle)
Explore procedurally generated labyrinths in a dungeon crawling action roguelike that combines tense, real-time combat with spatial block-shifting - slide blocks of ancient ruins, fight bestial abominations, loot, explore, level-up, strategize, cast powerful spells, die and wake up anew.
20220503 Loot River (Action RoguelikeIsometricDark FantasyDark)
The Rusty Sword: Vanguard Island is a short, top-down adventure game inspired by several 16-bit games.
20220502 The Rusty Sword: Vanguard Island (Action Adventure Action-Adventure Arcade)

DJ Eebs on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    But is a thread a gacha?

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    One day, someone will try to steal the OP away from Brolo and the fallout will be incredible.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'll never be free of gacha as long as I am bored at work

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    One day, someone will try to steal the OP away from Brolo and the fallout will be incredible.

Who else would want the responsibility?

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Who else would want the responsibility?

I imagine it will result from a combination of hubris and arson tendencies.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if there's one thing you should learn from your time on a forum it's that no one actually wants to start threads

liEt3nH.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Thinking about loot in games:

Often in recent games there's a loot system that amounts to just a handicap. If you don't pay attention to loot, you will eventually have a low number in your damage/health stat, and eventually you'll notice that making fights drag. They want you to be excited that you got a purple whatever, but it's just going to slightly forestall that sense of being underpowered. Or worse, it'll be fine for the duration of the game and you'll now just have a totally unnecessary system clogging things up. It's never particularly well thought-out, it never really changes what you're doing or how you do it.

In contrast I've recently played a bunch of Deep Rock Galactic. It's got a whole endgame loot system thing going on, but what saves it from feeling incredibly annoying is that it's genuinely almost always a good time to equip any of the options they give you. They range from "your gun is mildly better at everything" to "you've got a quarter of the ammo but set things on fire as long as your gun is overheating" . It's neat. Even if you don't really need them in order to succeed, it's neat to think "oh right I have this thing which means I'm going to need to restock more often but I should be able to do a lot of x" instead of just rolling again and again hoping to get +12 instead of +11.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One of the real problems with loot grinds in games like Avengers or Gotham Knights is that there's no real visual indicator that anything has changed. It's only making numbers go up, or reducing cooldowns. Is it possible to build up your stuff in a way that's fun? Possibly! Look at something like World of Warcraft, though, and think of how much more exciting loot drops could be in that game. Some of it is that you can go for specific things, and some of it is that...occasionally you find a piece of armor that looks cool. Destiny is pretty similar with their armor pieces, in that sometimes you want to find something because it looks rad. Weapons are easier loot drops in these, because they can change how you play, but Gotham Knights isn't going to let you switch Nightwing from using a staff to using a crossbow, probably, and he's probably always gonna have mostly the same flipping around kicking shit style throughout. None of the loot feels meaningful because it never changes things in a significant way, it just maybe makes the fights go at the speed they're supposed to go.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    One of the real problems with loot grinds in games like Avengers or Gotham Knights is that there's no real visual indicator that anything has changed. It's only making numbers go up, or reducing cooldowns. Is it possible to build up your stuff in a way that's fun? Possibly! Look at something like World of Warcraft, though, and think of how much more exciting loot drops could be in that game. Some of it is that you can go for specific things, and some of it is that...occasionally you find a piece of armor that looks cool. Destiny is pretty similar with their armor pieces, in that sometimes you want to find something because it looks rad. Weapons are easier loot drops in these, because they can change how you play, but Gotham Knights isn't going to let you switch Nightwing from using a staff to using a crossbow, probably, and he's probably always gonna have mostly the same flipping around kicking shit style throughout. None of the loot feels meaningful because it never changes things in a significant way, it just maybe makes the fights go at the speed they're supposed to go.

They never go at the speed they're supposed to go because when your numbers go up then you can do the fights where the enemies have higher numbers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    FF13 is simultaneously the only game after 10 that I've beaten while also being one where I didn't really love much of anything in it. I've only beaten 1, 6, 9, and 10 but even in the games I didn't beat, I liked a bunch of stuff better than 13.
    But somehow everything in 13 was just good enough to get me to the end.

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    if there's one thing you should learn from your time on a forum it's that no one actually wants to start threads

If you start threads you have to figure out how the fuck to turn off notifications for them.

Also @DJ Eebs it's interesting you cite Destiny here, because that's one of it's perennial problems - like the loot being *different* is actually really good, and systems are getting better to let you find the exact version of a gun you want, but also the Numbers Go Up is very much a thing in it. Thankfully the numbers going up is kinda plateud and not ridiculous, but it's also patently only a Numbers Go Up system that's basically meaningless - heck, the most aspirational content tends to even cap your Number Goes Up amount, or even forcibly set it to a specific number to preserve challenge.

Re: Mobile games, it's honestly a space i'd like to investigate more because i like having games on my phone, but finding good games on the andorid market is a fucking nightmare. And a lot of what would be good games are quickly burdened with Cash Extraction Mechanics. Just... just let me pay you up front for your game and that's all.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I think another problem with some of this loot is that all of it feels pretty meaningless. There are a lot of dated things in classic World of Warcraft but people who were active players can probably still name you specific gear from low to mid-level dungeons, partially because what you'd have to get them was pretty arduous, but also partially because they made rewards unique to the bosses you killed and really effective for a while. Sure, I might have had to spend forty real-time minutes trekking across the planet to get to Scarlet Monastery, but that hat I picked up there held me over for like, twelve levels.

I liked parts of the Avengers game but fuck if I could tell you the difference between some random shit I found on the ground and the gear I picked up fighting the Abomination. It'd be "resonant hawkingbird arrow." What does that mean? who fucking knows

also it was called a chapeau

liEt3nH.png

If you start threads you have to figure out how the fuck to turn off notifications for them.

Also @DJ Eebs it's interesting you cite Destiny here, because that's one of it's perennial problems - like the loot being *different* is actually really good, and systems are getting better to let you find the exact version of a gun you want, but also the Numbers Go Up is very much a thing in it. Thankfully the numbers going up is kinda plateud and not ridiculous, but it's also patently only a Numbers Go Up system that's basically meaningless - heck, the most aspirational content tends to even cap your Number Goes Up amount, or even forcibly set it to a specific number to preserve challenge.

Re: Mobile games, it's honestly a space i'd like to investigate more because i like having games on my phone, but finding good games on the andorid market is a fucking nightmare. And a lot of what would be good games are quickly burdened with Cash Extraction Mechanics. Just... just let me pay you up front for your game and that's all.

Destiny is very much a "get your number up so you can do interesting content" game, but there is at least gear you can use to help make yourself look sick, so even if you don't get the numbers you want, something has happened, and while "getting the numbers up on this gun," is important, there are other gameplay benefits to getting a cool new gun, namely that the new gun might be just straight up more fun to use beyond just, "it shoots better."

I don't want to say the way some of these games use loot is perfect, either, like...World of Warcraft has loads of problems with how it handles loot. It is meaningful, from a gameplay perspective, though.

I started playing FinFan XIV this year, starting from A Realm Reborn

Because the game's been running for ever and has had so many different "late game"s, there are SO many vestigial loot systems/currencies that I will never touch. Mostly because my first hour in any given set of patches is gonna give infinitely better equipment for dramatically less effort.

If I went big into fashion, maybe I'd bother? But I can't see what gear would look like until I've got it, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend hours grinding Primal Tokens and looking up where to turn them in just to see if that doublet looks cool or whatever

Because the game's been running for ever and has had so many different "late game"s, there are SO many vestigial loot systems/currencies that I will never touch. Mostly because my first hour in any given set of patches is gonna give infinitely better equipment for dramatically less effort.

If I went big into fashion, maybe I'd bother? But I can't see what gear would look like until I've got it, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend hours grinding Primal Tokens and looking up where to turn them in just to see if that doublet looks cool or whatever

you can right-click the doublet in the menu and click on "try on" to open up a dressing room that previews the item on you

liEt3nH.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I know people get real mad about destiny's vaulting of content every year to make easy for new stuff, but one of the reasons I like it is exactly that. Cleans out all the accreted dross and currencies that just aren't needed anymore. Which makes things way more pleasant!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Should the mood ever strike you, you can go to https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ , navigate to "Gearsets", filter by your favorite class, and scroll through screenshots of basically every armor set in the game through the end of Shadowbringers and see if anything jumps out at you.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    People still play MMOs and CCGs after they've reached max level or gotten all the cards. Is there really a game left if you reach the end of the grind in a stereotypical gacha?

you can right-click the doublet in the menu and click on "try on" to open up a dressing room that previews the item on you

That is good to know if I ever fall down a fashion hole, thanks!

I don't typically tend to (colorblindness knocks a decent amount of the appeal out, I reckon), but hey, stranger things have happened

Most MMOs at this point have some sort of "try on clothes" option, it's generally something like "ctrl + click" the item. I feel like WoW had that at launch...close to twenty years ago

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Coinage wrote: »
    People still play MMOs and CCGs after they've reached max level or gotten all the cards. Is there really a game left if you reach the end of the grind in a stereotypical gacha?

there's competitive stuff

like the Marvel gacha I play has a competitive mode where three times a week you and your "alliance" (guild) have a 24-hour base battle against another group. you populate rooms in your base with teams made up of your various guys, and you attack the enemy's rooms and try to blow more of them up than they can of yours.

there was a brief period where I was on top of the grind and was at max level and had all but one character unlocked but that war mode kept me coming back because I wanted to help my group climb the league rankings

rRwz9.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Do I need

really need

Wakka on my team

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Do I need

really need

Wakka on my team

But then who will you have to be a huge racist?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Honestly, if the upgrades you picked up in The Avengers changed the way the characters looked or changed the animations or even weapons, it would have made the game an easy 7.5/10.

With everything being NGU only it turns what should be a slam dunk into a 3d brawler ala Streets of Rage with like, six big levels.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

there's competitive stuff

like the Marvel gacha I play has a competitive mode where three times a week you and your "alliance" (guild) have a 24-hour base battle against another group. you populate rooms in your base with teams made up of your various guys, and you attack the enemy's rooms and try to blow more of them up than they can of yours.

there was a brief period where I was on top of the grind and was at max level and had all but one character unlocked but that war mode kept me coming back because I wanted to help my group climb the league rankings

Gacha with PvP is something I try to avoid like the plague because their monetization tends to be a LOT more predatory than single player games

Do I need

really need

Wakka on my team

tag him in for fliers when they show up and otherwise leave his ass in the GRASS

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Gacha games tend to continually add new content in some form or another, and almost universally "getting all the stuff" is not a reasonable or expected goal.

Like for example one game I'm playing, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, some sort of new set of missions culminating with a boss fight drops roughly twice a week. I pretty much do whatever new content day of, and then don't really put a ton of time in on the days in-between, but that's largely because I'm at the "end game"

Another game I play, Honkai Impact, there's weekly/semi-weekly leaderboards for different modes that give you various rewards, so I hop in at least to clear those out because I enjoy the game modes they're tied to.

Etc etc

Maddoc on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I can’t believe this is a real quote https://t.co/whSMTA1hhA

I wonder if they can get a new license and game out in time to capitalize on fans looking for FIFA 2024

I guess FIFA international could partner up with Konami on rebranding eFootball as a FIFA title, those two companies seem like they would work great together

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The avengers game is a shame because at max level the characters play in a way that really captures them, and the single player story is a fun tale but the way that having to level forces you to play terrible underpowered versions of each character feels awful. In some universe there’s a version where they just let you have all the fun stuff right away and expanded the story a little and it’s a solid 8/10 action game.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Avengers always felt to me like it fell on the bad side of control responsiveness vs animation priority and just felt like absolute dog shit to play

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestion of A Short Hike in the last thread. It was indeed short, I played it all between two meetings on a particular slow work day

I've got such a short fuse when it comes to tearing up, the end at the summit got me.

I probably chased down more than half the content and could have kept going, but like a few people in the last thread I'm trying to cut down on scraping all the content/achievements from games because it kind of ruins the experience after a while. There's always next time

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The boat expansion/mini game is so delightful by itself, you don't even need to play the rest of the game.

Also, Mark Sparling's music just sets the perfect mood.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    ... I did see someone who asked if I wanted to rent a boat and I never went back to figure out what that's about

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Five hours into the new Apex season and I already have the Vulture (two wins in a row) badge on Newcastle Apexlegends

Damn I might be ok at this game

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do I need

really need

Wakka on my team

What's not to love about a racist dingus whose voice actor is a white guy doing a Jamaican accent

Who wouldn't want that in their squad

This discussion has been closed.