As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also Berman was a sexual harasser IIRC

I'd be shocked if almost all of the men working at ESPN in its hey day weren't. Like they all pretty much come across as pompous up their own ass dip shits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DeAndre Hopkins, noted anti-vaxxer because we just don't know what's in it, has been suspended for six games for using steroids.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    The vaccine has only been around for year and a half, steroids have been around for decades!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The NFL got mad at Detroit because the team submitted the draft card for Hutchinson within a minute after Jacksonville made their pick. Presumably because the networks didn't get nearly a full ten minutes to talk about jacksonville and then endlessly speculate on Detroit's pick.

I had tuned in around the time of NYJ's pick at four and it took the show at least a full minute from the time 'the pick was in' until they actually announced it. Making it really feel now that the timing for the pick is all about the pomp and circumcision that goes into this shit now.

Meanwhile, everybody playing Madden is jamming on that skip button to just get through it ASAP. I cannot wait until the NFL decides to have Draft Week and each round takes one day to complete.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    NFL International Schedule has dropped.

We already knew the home teams, now we know their opponents.

- NFL UK is the official twitter handle of the NFL UK marketing division (sometimes these things are self-explanatory).

Note, that the graphic makes it look like it's Saints at Vikings, but apparently it's not. Maybe the intent was to just go clockwise, but the 49ers/Cards game messes that idea up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-2022-international-games

Vikings at Saints (Tottenham UK) Oct 2
    Giants at Packers (Tottenham UK) Oct 9
    Broncos at Jaguars (Wembley UK) Oct 30
    Seahawks at Buccaneers (Allianz Arena Germany) Nov 13
    49ers at Cardinals (Estadio Azteca Mexico) Nov 21

Figure 2nd and 4th can already be pencilled in as home game victories, 3rd and 5th as away team victories.

I mean, I'm not sure if the Packers will be dominant this year, but come on, the Giants? Same with the Bucs, unless Seattle do something significant under center in the next couple months. Not sure if Wilson clicks in Denver, but it's the Jags, and like with the Texans, until I see something to prove me wrong, I figure they're a top 5 pick next year too. According to last year, November 21 would have put it in Week 11, and the latter half of the season is when the Kingsbury Cardinals melt down.

Regarding the first game, given the QB situation in New Orleans, I figure that's Minnesota's game to lose. But if the last decade have shown me anything, those are exactly the kinds of game Minnesota piss away.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Making it really feel now that the timing for the pick is all about the pomp and circumcision that goes into this shit now.
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Seemed like he was cutting down to the meat of the argument, really trimming away the excess.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ben Wallace furiously whipping up a Fore Down decision bot

Captain Inertia on
    Brady admits what we've known all along, the Tuck was a fumble.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

- NFL UK is the official twitter handle of the NFL UK marketing division (sometimes these things are self-explanatory).

Note, that the graphic makes it look like it's Saints at Vikings, but apparently it's not. Maybe the intent was to just go clockwise, but the 49ers/Cards game messes that idea up.

Figure 2nd and 4th can already be pencilled in as home game victories, 3rd and 5th as away team victories.

I mean, I'm not sure if the Packers will be dominant this year, but come on, the Giants? Same with the Bucs, unless Seattle do something significant under center in the next couple months. Not sure if Wilson clicks in Denver, but it's the Jags, and like with the Texans, until I see something to prove me wrong, I figure they're a top 5 pick next year too. According to last year, November 21 would have put it in Week 11, and the latter half of the season is when the Kingsbury Cardinals melt down.

Regarding the first game, given the QB situation in New Orleans, I figure that's Minnesota's game to lose. But if the last decade have shown me anything, those are exactly the kinds of game Minnesota piss away.

Hey now

Virtually every game is Minnesota's game to lose

It's why we've gotten so good at shitting the bed in the 4th :tongue:

MorganV wrote: »

Hey now

Virtually every game is Minnesota's game to lose

It's why we've gotten so good at shitting the bed in the 4th :tongue:

Don’t let them off easy about the end of the 2nd too

Sorce wrote: »
    Making it really feel now that the timing for the pick is all about the pomp and circumcision that goes into this shit now.
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

It's a reference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmZ6ONjuD98

Antonio Brown came out recently to dump on Kaep. Sometgingsomething Kaep turned it into a Nike ad mumblegrumble.

Shawne Merriman then piped up more-or-less in agreement. So I suppose we'll start getting more hot takes about how awful Kaep was and how he didn't have 'passion' or something amd how he doesn't deserve anything and blah blah.

Meanwhile, Geno Smith is currently QB1 for Seattle.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Antonio Brown ever recovered from the Burfict hit.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Antonio Brown came out recently to dump on Kaep. Sometgingsomething Kaep turned it into a Nike ad mumblegrumble.

Shawne Merriman then piped up more-or-less in agreement. So I suppose we'll start getting more hot takes about how awful Kaep was and how he didn't have 'passion' or something amd how he doesn't deserve anything and blah blah.

Meanwhile, Geno Smith is currently QB1 for Seattle.

Hey, if people with the moral calibre of Antonio Brown keep coming out against Kaepernick, I guess I'll...

...continue to support Colin.

I mean it takes a true jackass to complain about someone having a lack of commitment for the game from someone who literally walked out on his team in the middle of a game. And that's not even counting what he apparently did in Oakland.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Why is anyone asking Cheater Cheaterson Shawne Merriman what he thinks about anything.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Why is anyone asking Cheater Cheaterson Shawne Merriman what he thinks about anything.

I mean, clicks?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    mcp wrote: »

Don't know who Shawne Merriman is.

*googles*

Oh, fuck that guy. Just a less famous asshole.

Domestic violence and kidnapping. Alleged date rapist leading to death.

And that's before the steroids.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Fox just signed Brady to a 10 yr/$375 million broadcasting contract for when he retires. If I'm doing the math right I think that's a higher AAV then any contract he had while playing.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    All the ESPN guys who spent the last 20 years with their tongues up his ass have got to be seething right now

But it makes perfect sense, in temperament and politics he was always going to be a Fox guy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Carpy wrote: »
    Fox just signed Brady to a 10 yr/$375 million broadcasting contract for when he retires. If I'm doing the math right I think that's a higher AAV then any contract he had while playing.

As per usual with contracts in this thread, how much is guaranteed? :)

Because if he ends up being shitful.... damn, they kept Aikman around for 20 years.

I retract my hopes and dreams.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Eh, I would be surprised if ESPN cares. They've watched a lot of the talent they've shed go to FOX because the games are the staple of their business plan and I don't think they are two interested in paying Brady over $300M when they have to pay $2.4B per season for Monday Night Football.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    The ultimate payoff will be when Brady is terrible at anything that isn't talking about himself.

Tom Brady is probably the best athlete at social media and if that translates to analysis or punditry that’ll be well worth it

Tony Romo is the exception, not the rule. Just like being a good player will not make somebody a good coach, being personable doesn't necessarily make them good at sports analysis.

Is there any evidence that he can do it, let alone be worth $37 million a year?

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I mean Brady is a boring finely tuned football machine. The public generally doesn't actually know what his personality is like since he has been relatively disciplined in following his pr people's advice in not making comments on shit not related to football and games. What we have seen through the years hasn't exactly been flattering like the maga stuff but we'll see, $37m a year is a lot to throw at such an untested entity though I supposed the discipline it took to stick to a pr plan for 20+ years through hundreds of media interactions per year is something too

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I've never tuned in to listen to an announcer. Romo is awful, too. Every time he's done a game I've watched, he's either made a crass dick joke or tried to pimp out Brady's wife.

So you keep saying.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've never tuned in to listen to an announcer. Romo is awful, too. Every time he's done a game I've watched, he's either made a crass dick joke or tried to pimp out Brady's wife.

dick jokes are funny

edited May 2022
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I mean Brady is a boring finely tuned football machine. The public generally doesn't actually know what his personality is like since he has been relatively disciplined in following his pr people's advice in not making comments on shit not related to football and games. What we have seen through the years hasn't exactly been flattering like the maga stuff but we'll see, $37m a year is a lot to throw at such an untested entity though I supposed the discipline it took to stick to a pr plan for 20+ years through hundreds of media interactions per year is something too

Brady is genuinely the funniest athlete on social media and it’s not even that carefully crafted

He’s a master shit talker and also able to poke fun at himself

And the follow up

This is funny (saw while looking up his latest)

Captain Inertia on
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Brady is genuinely the funniest athlete on social media and it’s not even that carefully crafted

He’s a master shit talker and also able to poke fun at himself

And the follow up

This is funny (saw while looking up his latest)

While some of it is likely him (and the willingness to poke fun of himself is at least a decision he's made), I basically expect most celebrity twitter feeds to be at least partly curated/controlled by a publicist. And to be fair, if a publicist is NOT curating/controlling a twitter feed, they're not really doing their job.

While in the booth, Brady can definitely be helped out, there's going to be a lot of time where it'll be on him to be charming, insightful, informative. I've not seen anything to suggest either way that he can or cannot be successful there.

Romo has his missteps, but he's also the best we've seen in making that transition. Aikman is bad. Witten was terrible. Reportedly both Peyton and Brees were worse. The Mannings have managed to craft their own little thing out, but that's also a lot different to what a color commentator is doing.

I am curious if there's any ethics issues though with regards an active player having a contract with one of several media broadcasters that cover the NFL. Not saying there is, just wondering if there's something conflicty that could be problematic.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So you keep saying.

Also, too, as well as, in addition, if you don't like repetition, don't ask the question.

Atlas in Chains on
    So you keep saying.

Also, too, as well as, in addition, if you don't like repetition, don't ask the question.

Roasted.

Chicago signs Nathan PetermINT.

Kaep still not a top-64 QB

edited May 2022
    whoops wrong sport

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Chicago signs Nathan PetermINT.

Kaep still not a top-64 QB
    Like, to the practice squad, right? To give some interception return practice?

Schedules are out. That team you dislike has an easy schedule entirely predictable based on a widely know formula. And your favourite team is fucked because the league is biased.

Also, too, they're doing a Nickelodeon game on Christmas.

They really need to do more nikelodeon games

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    chargers release their schedule as an anime...i don't like the chargers but this was pretty good. also i loved andy reid haha