As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Looks pretty good. Was the Thrilling 30 much better than the last release?

Edit: I got the Medic mold mate of the last release and she was neat, but man does it take a lot to keep her standing and the shell was slightly annoying.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    There's been a lot of issues with getting a good, show accurate Arcee, primarily extending from the fact that the show never had to worry about her transformation would actually work, so she basically has little to no vehicle mode kibble in her design. It has made making a G1 Arcee a fraught endevour.

While there were numerous canceled G1 prototypes, the 2014 "Thrilling 30" mold was the first time they made a strong effort at it, and for the most part it's a good figure, especially for the time. It lacks some articulation, has huge hips and like 80% of her vehicle mode sits on her back, but at the time it was the holy grail.

After a brief diversion in Titans Return for a headmaster Arcee based on the Blurr mold, the Earthrise mold was the second attempt at the concept, and there they basically decided to make 100% of the vehicle mode into backpack kibble and basically made Arcee into an action figure that wedges herself into the car shape box her backpack unfolds into. This provides for a better robot mode with a full range of articulation, but with an absolutely HUGE backpack. It's so big they added in a gimmick so you can pop off half of her car mode from her back so her backpack is smaller (the removed part becomes a terrible looking 'hover board"). So you can make her look really show accurate, at the expense of her barely being a transformer.

This '86 arcee looks to be splitting the difference, adding articulation, slimming down her hips etc., but at the cost of like 95% of her car mode being on her back (basically only her chest forms a part of the car). It's caught my eye because they've had a habit if making her look too human, giving her a not show accurate rounded belly. Even the masterpiece fell into this trap, but this new figure finally has the boxy midsection.

Fun note: you can still buy the original thrilling 30 toy from BBTS.

Edit: here's a comparison.
    https://www.allspark.com/forums/attachments/ss-er-lgs-arcee-jpg.6097/

Undead Scottsman on
    Thank you for the explanation on why a lot of people were excited and referenced the Thrilling 30 model. Yeah, I often wondered how anybody would get the Arcee toy to work right when there was no toy ever made of her (well G1 toy) other than the random prototypes that people have seen. I did not know that the Thrilling 30 toy had so much on the back, like the Earthrise one. I also forgot that I own the Titans Return version, but it was so bad that I didn't remember it being Arcee.

I also didn't like the Earthrise feet for her since they really looked bad, not to mention the folding up under the shell transformation reminded me of the old G1 Pretenders being stuffed in the shell.

I bought the MMC 3P "Arcee" toy since I always wanted a good transformer of Arcee (and actually went with the prototype version since I missed out on the normal one). I also bought the MP Arcee to support the real version, and that I really liked the way you can pose her like an action figure.

I like what you pointed out about this '86 Arcee and will take a chance and pick her up for a toy Arcee to fiddle with.

The link you gave says I have to log in, so guess it is behind their membership.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2022
    Whoops. Let me see if I can find an alternate picture.

J8ydXdf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

86, ER, Legends (Japanese repaint of thrilling 30)

Undead Scottsman on
    Wow, they are all so different. Yeah, now I'll have to keep my eyes out for this new version.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    LEGO just officially announced the Optimus Prime set, so now I guess I have to do something I don't like, which is devote effort to securing something of limited quantity.

I've never tried to get a sought-after Lego set before. What's the protocol?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    LEGO just officially announced the Optimus Prime set, so now I guess I have to do something I don't like, which is devote effort to securing something of limited quantity.

I've never tried to get a sought-after Lego set before. What's the protocol?

So for a big release like this, you have a few options:

1. Hop on the Lego website as close to Midnight EST as you can. Make sure you have an account before hand, preferably with VIP membership. I think it's still free.
    2. Get to a Lego store within the first few hours of it opening.
    3. Wait a few months. Unlike other toys, Lego are usually produced for multiple years, and there will always be multiple runs. FOMO definitely exists for Lego, but it is much rarer and usually occurs after many years of missing an opportunity.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

By my rough estimation, it comes in probably around half as tall as Voltron? Hard to extrapolate from stud size, but his legs are 5 or 6 studs wide (excluding the wheels), his arms look to be 4 studs wide.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Welp I need it

If they start with LeGundams I think I can safely burn my wallet in advance

lg4z912n51k5.png

Hmm. Somewhat more ropey from other angles, tbh. But still probably an easy purchase.

Someone saved a bunch of screenshots from the Brother's Brick review before they got taken down.

vphwh6j2che3.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It simultaneously looks better than I'd have expected, and also not really all that great. I mean, obviously they are working within considerable limitations, and made a pretty nice transforming Optimus Prime, I want to be clear that this is an impressive achievement and they deserve admiration. Just, you know, doesn't look as nice as I'd have liked...

(I'll probably still buy it just because of what it is, not because of how well it achieves the goal)

Delduwath wrote: »
    It simultaneously looks better than I'd have expected, and also not really all that great. I mean, obviously they are working within considerable limitations, and made a pretty nice transforming Optimus Prime, I want to be clear that this is an impressive achievement and they deserve admiration. Just, you know, doesn't look as nice as I'd have liked...

(I'll probably still buy it just because of what it is, not because of how well it achieves the goal)

I'd prefer the eyes to be more angled but I appreciate they did pretty much as good as they probably could have while still retaining the transformation

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Those are VERY G1 toy eyes.

Also those mitts were made for punching.

Edit: Oh man. Look at those printed bricks of the Autobot symbol. Those are going to be worth a TON on the aftermarket.

Edit2: No knee articulation. So just hips outwards, and ankle tilt. So not the most dynamic of Optimus Prime's, but probably there for stability purposes.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    Edit: Oh man. Look at those printed bricks of the Autobot symbol. Those are going to be worth a TON on the aftermarket.
    That's a good point! Although, them being on a red background limits a bit where they can be used (Ironhide, Cliffjumper, maybe Hot Rod and Perceptor, who else?)

Anyway, don't mind me, just gonna make some withdrawals from my retirement fund to finance this new retirement fund...

Wow, it's actually only a head shorter than Voltron. That's much larger than I expected. I do think it's a little weak in places (the chest windows are hampered by the minimum size of a lego block, IMO), but that's what's great about Lego - I'm sure enterprising modders will come up with improvements. I'd be willing to sacrifice ease of transformation for a sturdier robot mode.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    That's a good point! Although, them being on a red background limits a bit where they can be used (Ironhide, Cliffjumper, maybe Hot Rod and Perceptor, who else?)

Anyway, don't mind me, just gonna make some withdrawals from my retirement fund to finance this new retirement fund...

Are they printed? The eyes, at least, look very stickerish to me.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they were all stickers, just to remind me of how much I hated putting stickers on my transformers as a kid. Just could not get them to line up right...

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's bigger than MP01. And I appreciate that for the transformer fans they included a comparison to MP01 and MP10.

The eyes look like they might be printed on the side of a 2-by-X stud plate, maybe?

see317 wrote: »

Are they printed? The eyes, at least, look very stickerish to me.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they were all stickers, just to remind me of how much I hated putting stickers on my transformers as a kid. Just could not get them to line up right...

Someone said that the reviewer said they were printed.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I assumed printed, but I might be wrong. If nothing else, the plaque will be a sticker.

I just saw this news and had to share it here. Forgot who was looking for the Top Gun Transformer Maverick, but it appears that Walmart will have a reissue.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/05/13/transformers-collaborative-top-gun-maverick-re-release-set-for-july-456003
    Walmart will be exclusively re-releasing the figure for pre-order on July 21st, 2022. This is the first day of SDCC 2022, which is based in San Diego where a lot of the original and assuming new movie takes place. No word yet on price or ship dates, stay tuned for more information as it pops!

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2022
    That was me.

Also yay.

Also, also, the last two wreckers sets dropped

And a 40 minute Victory Saber protoype video. (Unpainted and not in final colors)

Undead Scottsman on
    Nice. I pre-ordered the Twin Twist since I have the original toy. Well ok, not the diaclone colors.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    My Drag-Strip arrived today, so yeah. Super random.

He is rad! I cannot wait for the rest of the Stunticons.

While I've been playing with him it made me realize how badly I want a set of Combaticons of this class / quality.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    For the Wreckers, it was pretty easy to skip Springer, Impactor, and Bulkhead since they're pretty much just basic redecos of the same characters

Leadfoot and Twin Twist were easy preorders though. I think this is the first time this version of Leadfoot has been released since the original G2? Poor guy has been overshadowed by the (imo) stupid Bayverse version. And I was never able to find the original TR Twin Twist release, only Topspin, and frankly I think the Diaclone colors look way better here

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    HexDex wrote: »
    My Drag-Strip arrived today, so yeah. Super random.

He is rad! I cannot wait for the rest of the Stunticons.

While I've been playing with him it made me realize how badly I want a set of Combaticons of this class / quality.

I have to agree with you on the Combaticons team. I do have the 3P MS Combaticons team and that was fun to play with and was my "Combaticons" team till now. Hopefully the rest of the team will be just as good as Drag Strip so I can finally have a good licensed Menasor for my shelf. Of course if they're good I might want the others to be upgraded to this newer design rather than the Combiner Wars scramble city style.
    For the Wreckers, it was pretty easy to skip Springer, Impactor, and Bulkhead since they're pretty much just basic redecos of the same characters

Leadfoot and Twin Twist were easy preorders though. I think this is the first time this version of Leadfoot has been released since the original G2? Poor guy has been overshadowed by the (imo) stupid Bayverse version. And I was never able to find the original TR Twin Twist release, only Topspin, and frankly I think the Diaclone colors look way better here

I think I bought my Twin Twist from Entertainment Earth since I never saw him in the stores (like pretty much everybody) and don't have an Ollie's near me when they showed up there. Ticked me off that they didn't reissue him and am happy for everybody to finally get a TR Twin Twist for their shelves in one fashion. I almost bought the Leadfoot since I liked the look of him, but ended up passing since I'm trying to get rid of some Transformers on my shelves that I bought because they looked cool, not adding more!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    For the Funko collecting folks the rumor going around is that a bunch of new black light pops are getting released for Funkoween next week. Universal Monsters and Nightmare before Christmas among others.

E.Coyote wrote: »
    For the Funko collecting folks the rumor going around is that a bunch of new black light pops are getting released for Funkoween next week. Universal Monsters and Nightmare before Christmas among others.

Ah good ones I don't care about, phew. I've slowed down a lot on funkos after all the nft garbage they did anyways. I haven't scooped the last marvel Blacklight set which had some cool designs but yeah, I'm actually trying to sell off some of my least favorite ones to get my collection down to ones I truly love. I have a bunch of random single pops from different series and it just seems silly.

I'll probably never stop buying Spider-Man pops though because apparently I'm a sucker. Speaking of Spider-Man it's been a few months and Entertainment Earth never responded to my request for a replacement retro Symbiote Spidey fig, not sure what to do about that

E.Coyote wrote: »

Ah good ones I don't care about, phew. I've slowed down a lot on funkos after all the nft garbage they did anyways. I haven't scooped the last marvel Blacklight set which had some cool designs but yeah, I'm actually trying to sell off some of my least favorite ones to get my collection down to ones I truly love. I have a bunch of random single pops from different series and it just seems silly.

I'll probably never stop buying Spider-Man pops though because apparently I'm a sucker. Speaking of Spider-Man it's been a few months and Entertainment Earth never responded to my request for a replacement retro Symbiote Spidey fig, not sure what to do about that
    Maybe get your CC involved? Could also hit up the BBB to see if that will get their attention (sometimes it does).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hmm that seems a bit much, I just wanted to maybe swap it to a return if they can't do a replacement. Maybe I'll email their customer support. But knowing me I'll say fuck it and open it and display him anyways...

Hmm that seems a bit much, I just wanted to maybe swap it to a return if they can't do a replacement. Maybe I'll email their customer support. But knowing me I'll say fuck it and open it and display him anyways...

Ah, I thought that you already contacted them and they were ignoring you so that is why I was suggesting the absolute last measures recommendations. Yeah I would recommend going through their CS to see what is going on. Maybe calling them instead?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2022
    Betsuni wrote: »

Ah, I thought that you already contacted them and they were ignoring you so that is why I was suggesting the absolute last measures recommendations. Yeah I would recommend going through their CS to see what is going on. Maybe calling them instead?

I didn't realize they had a contact number either lmao. I just submitted the "return or replacement request" tool on their site. Usually they respond within 2-3 weeks but it's been 2-3 months. It's not that bothersome and I could wait longer if they just said hey don't worry we're still looking at this not ignoring you lol

Local H Jay on
    Betsuni wrote: »

I didn't realize they had a contact number either lmao. I just submitted the "return or replacement request" tool on their site. Usually they respond within 2-3 weeks but it's been 2-3 months. It's not that bothersome and I could wait longer if they just said hey don't worry we're still looking at this not ignoring you lol

Haha gotcha now I understand. Sounds like something I would do to be honest (waiting forever).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Whelp!

I trusted my instincts, and swung by Target over lunch. And I found Drag Strip!

2SOrAubh.jpeg

The packaging was horribly banged up for him and Skids. Like... Got kicked around or dropped. But at least externally, everything is here. Which makes me happy. I have the other Menasor parts on online preorder.

Walmart is getting a Transformers: Legacy subline called Velocitron (a speed obsessed Cybertronian colony that's showed up a few times) and we finally got a look at Override, the female leader of Velocitron from the Cybertron cartoon. (The character was a male transformer named Nitro Convoy in Japan)

There was a lot of speculation that she'd be a heavy retool of Studio Series Hot Rod due to being a store exclusive, but she appears to be an entirely original mold!

https://youtu.be/bdhV-j86w4E

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Dammit, stop giving Walmart cool exclusives

This better not be hard to get

It was a pain in the ass to get the Clone Wars ARC Trooper (thank you so much @Betsuni for the assist)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    I'm going to apologize for those who want her, and have a connection to her. Will try to pick one up since I'm always looking out for more female Transformers that are not sexualized.

So a fellow on another forum showed off some Machine Robo (GoBots in the US) toys at his local store and offered to help anyone to buy them. I took him up on his offer to get one called Harrier Robo (you can guess what he transforms into). See, my brother had him when we were growing up and I absolutely loved transforming him and whooshing around the house imagining I was flying a Harrier Jump Jet. Since he was my brother's I no longer have access to him I jumped (no pun intended) on the chance to pick one up for myself.

This guy is really good in hand! He's just a little bit loose, but has all his stickers and looks pretty much brand new. So now I can have him on my desk to whoosh around the house.

Harrier_Robo_MR-19_01.jpg

Took a photo of him in my display in front of the newer Machine Robo toys. Please excuse the dust and the broken Lego flags.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Old Machine Robo/GoBots were pretty good.

I mean, outside of some of the weirder stuff like the walking command center and the monster trike (and then the rock lords).

I'd legitimately like to see the old ones that were around what, core sized? come back. And not at like, premium pricing.

Nobody on