As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Is 16 being released on PC at launch?

Who knows!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

I have money on a year long PS exclusive followed by possibly a 6 to 12 month EGS exclusive. Maybe I'll get to play the game in 2024.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Apparently they started working on FF16 before FF15 was released because it was taking so long, so that's why it might feel like a short amount of time has passed.

Ok they were just quiet about it until it was coming together, that makes more sense.

Either which way i much appreciate this approach.

I don't even mind if its early 2023 given how packed this fall is.

But that said I'd gladly bump literally any other game off my schedule to make room for playing this at launch haha.

At launch is going to depend on what stupid exclusivity stuff is involved, isn't it?

Its a PS exclusive and I have a PS so I'm certainly playing day 1 not matter what.

New release in my favorite series being made from a team led by Yoshi-P?

I'm all in.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Rumor is 6-month exclusivity for PS5.

Knowing Square one has to wonder if they will even bother with Xbox without Microsoft cutting some fat gamepass check.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm somewhat excited for XVI, but I have no idea how it's going to measure up against XIV, which has had almost a decade to grow the characters and relationships that give its story the weight it has.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm somewhat excited for XVI, but I have no idea how it's going to measure up against XIV, which has had almost a decade to grow the characters and relationships that give its story the weight it has.

Over a decade, actually. 1.0 was in 2010.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sorry, folks, she just made that up

It's close, but not "pretty much complete"

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Delzhand wrote: »

Comparing them doesn't really make sense. They are completely different scales.

There's even the flip side where regardless of the time the MMO trappings of 14 actually make it harder for some people to get into the story and characters at all.

But again, different projects with different goals. Different strengths and weaknesses that will appeal to everyone differently.

DemonStacey on
    Oh welp
    Also ps5 exclusive? I didn't know that, so like 10 people will get to play it huh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    As one of the 10, I'm ok with it. I'd prefer ps5 & series x exclusive, getting us both next gen and still having to make it playable on older stuff. And pc is a pit of bugs to fight, I'm sure.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Oh welp
    Also ps5 exclusive? I didn't know that, so like 10 people will get to play it huh

Its already sold more units than the entire lifetime sales of WiiU and almost as much as the lifetime sales of GameCube.

So I'd say a good amount of folks will have access to it.

Sure they do, next you'll tell me the PS3 doesn't not have any games!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Oh welp

Its already sold more units than the entire lifetime sales of WiiU and almost as much as the lifetime sales of GameCube.

At least half those consoles are probably sitting in scalper warehouses.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh...if they pull a Bethesda and release the game pretty close to the next trailer I'll actually be impressed.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Playing PR of FFV and I remember why I dislike this game so much. The class JP points just aren't very much per fight. And I am always, ALWAYS lost when I play this game. Even the guides aren't helping. I've just picked up the Water Crystal fragments (time mage, mystic knight, beserker, etc) and literally have no idea where to go.

e: Took me a third guide to see that I had to go into the meteorite and a new cave randomly appeared.

urahonky on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Playing PR of FFV and I remember why I dislike this game so much. The class JP points just aren't very much per fight. And I am always, ALWAYS lost when I play this game. Even the guides aren't helping. I've just picked up the Water Crystal fragments (time mage, mystic knight, beserker, etc) and literally have no idea where to go.

e: Took me a third guide to see that I had to go into the meteorite and a new cave randomly appeared.

It’s definitely one of those games that grew on me through replays, not the initial experience. Like Zelda 2, there’s a great game in there, but figuring out what the hell you’re supposed to be doing at all is just not the fun part.

I just started up World of Final Fantasy Maxima. Might be the head space I’m in, might be that I have access to a fast forward feature that’s implemented incredibly well, but this is a delight so far.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    FFV is still fun for me, but playing it with job restrictions (Fiesta) so it's a puzzle game is a part of that. Figuring out where to go sucks in several places.

World of Final Fantasy was delightful for about the first half. Once the heavy themes kicked in, and it got kinda grindy, it was less so.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Oh welp

IIRC weren’t Spiderman and Elden ring sales at about 8 million or so? I know not everyone buys every game but the sales for the two biggest selling games being less than half on consoles sold seems a bit sus.

Jealous Deva on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Oh welp

IIRC weren’t Spiderman and Elden ring sales at about 8 million or so? I know not everyone buys every game but the sales for the two biggest selling games being less than half on consoles sold seems a bit sus.

Do we have sales figures for Ps5 only Spider-Man and Elden Ring? Because Spider-Man is also on Ps4 and Elden is on everything but Switch. Usually, the dev reports ALL the sales together to make it look like a very nice number.

Oh welp

Do we have sales figures for Ps5 only Spider-Man and Elden Ring? Because Spider-Man is also on Ps4 and Elden is on everything but Switch. Usually, the dev reports ALL the sales together to make it look like a very nice number.

From a Google search right now all I can find is mid-march numbers that had elden ring at 12 million with about 30% on ps5, so 4 million or so but I am sure by now its a lot higher.

I had seen spider:man miles morales at 6.5 million at the end of 2021 but google says those are ps4 and ps5 numbers.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

See, I find this funny because I originally imported the game on the SNES. No online guides for it yet. I didn't know a lick of Japanese and I only got stuck on a single part. Where you need to stand across from a barrel of an npc and interact with it. I spent a month wandering around knowing it likely was something in that room, before just searching everything for about the 10th time and finding out.

But the rest of the game? I mean shit, its borderline linear.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s two years in and pretty much the same amount of people have the new gen consoles as they have 2 years into every previous gen, so I’m glad that we’re getting some next gen exclusives because targeting next gen only has great results.

It 100% sucks that supply isn’t meeting demand, but from a developer point of view next gen only games make sense at this stage

Kai_San wrote: »

See, I find this funny because I originally imported the game on the SNES. No online guides for it yet. I didn't know a lick of Japanese and I only got stuck on a single part. Where you need to stand across from a barrel of an npc and interact with it. I spent a month wandering around knowing it likely was something in that room, before just searching everything for about the 10th time and finding out.

But the rest of the game? I mean shit, its borderline linear.

Well obviously I'm a fucking idiot and you're a smart one.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I also needed a guide for FFV the first time I played it a few years ago.

I distinctly remember some “what the hell do I do now?” Moments. Which was pretty par for the course with JRPGs of the time. Not as bad as, say, DQ6 (oh of course it makes sense to randomly go back to the first town right now) but definitely some cases of “you have this new travel ability/the world has changed , now go to somewhere you couldn’t reach before but we aren’t going to point out to progress.”

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I remember trying to play Treasure of the Rudras via a fan translation, getting pretty far, and then getting 1000% stuck because someone mistranslated east as west.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I remember trying to play Treasure of the Rudras via a fan translation, getting pretty far, and then getting 1000% stuck because someone mistranslated east as west.

You said east? I thought you meant weast.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Just met Serafie in WoFF.

First time I’ve let go of the fast forward button. This game is charming as hell.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Eh you go east long enough you'll eventually hit west.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2022

You said east? I thought you meant weast.

In fairness I imagine directions are confusing as hell for a non-native speaker to translate.

You have east and west, but then a lot of word roots refer to south as “aus” (which is confusing enough that a whole country name got mistranslated into English, Austria in English literally means “southland” but in the original german it is Osterreich, or literally “Eastland”).

I assume perhaps the translator was a Japanese native speaker and got confused with the two directions that sound almost the same.

Jealous Deva on
    Jesus Christ FFV is insanely hard. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm fighting Atmos or whatever and his Comet literally one shots all of my party members. And sometimes he casts it twice. By the time I recover and get them back up he does it again.

edited May 2022
    Yeah you are definitely missing something on Atmos.

He is a puzzle boss basically, as a hint he won’t cast comet if at least one party member is dead.

Jealous Deva on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Jesus Christ FFV is insanely hard. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm fighting Atmos or whatever and his Comet literally one shots all of my party members. And sometimes he casts it twice. By the time I recover and get them back up he does it again.

Hey, I just so happen to have landed back on FF5 Pixel Remaster at the same time as you. I'm still a good deal behind you. I'm trying to be as completionist as possible like usual, stealing limited time items and such. Right now stealing Spears from Shell Bears on first visit to ExDeath's castle.

If I remember right, the legit way to win that fight is to let someone be dead.
    When a party member is dead he won't keep casting Comet and will instead slowly drag them toward him, which is your cue to unload with attacks.

As far as complaints about not knowing where to go, I can really see that. At one point you have to just randomly pop into Crescent Island town and an earthquake starts...though it's not like there are that many locations to visit anyway. Later you're like "let's go find Galuf, which means we need to talk to Cid" and you have to remember the last place you saw him, at which place there is a note saying "left to put back adamantine" and you have to remember where that was.

If you ever save and quit and come back, you're likely to have forgotten whatever meager direction you were given in the last short, bland cutscene.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I beat him by basically keeping one of my units alive and rotated using raise on the people dead. So I definitely made it way harder than I needed to. I even slapped a Reflect Ring on someone thinking it'd reflect it but it doesn't.

And yeah that's part of my problem with FFV and definitely where I got lost. I went there but didn't see the note on the table so it didn't unlock the next story area. So I wandered the world for a few hours until I looked up a guide and I was supposed to interact with the note to make Cid appear.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, Atomos is a DPS check; can you kill him before everyone gets sucked in. The Comet is intentionally overpowered to force you to interact with the "getting sucked in" mechanic. He only uses Comet when everyone on the screen is alive. It's not the best game design, but it works.

One way to deal with that fight is to leave one person on the ground until they're almost sucked in, then revive them and let someone else spend some time on the ground.

The airship fight vs the big cannon is another DPS check. If you're playing a low-offense team, you can have a bad time when everyone's stats get butchered by the Old status inflicted by the missiles (why do missiles make you old????)

Fry on
    Yeah I guess I never noticed that he didn't use Comet while someone was dead. He used it 3 times in a row once and I was freaking out trying to keep everyone back up.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So I wandered the world for a few hours until I looked up a guide and I was supposed to interact with the note to make Cid appear.

I did not know this. I assumed if you happened to go to the meteorite they would just be there and skip the note entirely. That's bad event design.

Do people in the library say anything like "he should be at Crescent Island?"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yeah you are definitely missing something on Atmos.

He is a puzzle boss basically, as a hint he won’t cast comet if at least one party member is dead.

I haven't played FFV since... I can't even remember when. I forget, does FFV have undead status? How would Atmos consider a party member with it?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    It has zombie status but I don’t know how atmos reacts to it. I think its an enemy only thing so you’d have to probably do some really weird shit to have a zombied character in that fight. May not even be possible in normal gameplay at that point.

So I wandered the world for a few hours until I looked up a guide and I was supposed to interact with the note to make Cid appear.

I did not know this. I assumed if you happened to go to the meteorite they would just be there and skip the note entirely. That's bad event design.

Do people in the library say anything like "he should be at Crescent Island?"

I talked to everyone in the front and they gave me no indication on where to go. I did hit up the underwater cave first because that's where I remember him being. But I didn't realize the scrap on the table needed to be looked at.

This discussion has been closed.