As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    he was playing like shit and obviously uncomfortable wayy before he was popped in the face
    that happened 6 minutes into the second and they were already down more than ten at that point and embiid only had 4 points at the point
    home court advantage is clearly much more important for him going forward in terms of that mask

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm still surprised people gave Siakam a pass for that hit. That move he pulled was very clearly intentional, even if he didn't "intend" to literally break Embiid's face.

Also, yet another example of Doc Rivers being a shit coach for leaving Embiid in when they were up by 30.

oh man
    suns were supposed to come out and have a statement game....
    this is not a statement game so far

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    ah here's the statement game we were waiting for
    give us boban

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    lol biyombo not respecting the 'unwritten rules' there hahahah
    Dallas game will be fun

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Only 9 assists the ENTIRE GAME for the Mavs. How is that possible?!

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited May 2022

i love how after violently ending GP2's season, suddenly the grizz are victims everywhere, everything from trying to paint poole as dirty for his "malicious wrenching of Ja's knee" to blaming the refs for the results of a hilariously dumb play that they called here
    they don't call dray the janitor for nothing, vindication is nice though

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

i love how after violently ending GP2's season, suddenly the grizz are victims everywhere, everything from trying to paint poole as dirty for his "malicious wrenching of Ja's knee" to blaming the refs for the results of a hilariously dumb play that they called here
    they don't call dray the janitor for nothing, vindication is nice though

Yeah I'm ready for these "Future Warriors", LMAO was I bamboozled!, Frauds to have their 15 minutes of fame end next year. Like the Jazz this year, they are gonna take a fall record wise. Ja will only to continue his type of play till his early thirties.

I wish Steven Adams was on another team, particularly a Title contender. Dude is way overdue for a Ring.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Cavs are the next Dubs

Garland, Allen, & Mobley plus whatever return they get for jettisoning Sexton to Orlando

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I feel like the Dubs are the next Dubs, with Poole, Kuminga, and perhaps even Wiseman.

Which would be really stupid if it pans out for them. It may even prompt a new style of "tanking" where a contender takes a season or two off in order to stockpile high draft picks. It was hugely successful for the Spurs, and if the Warriors turn around and do it too, front offices may start seeing a pattern.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I feel like the Dubs are the next Dubs, with Poole, Kuminga, and perhaps even Wiseman.

Which would be really stupid if it pans out for them. It may even prompt a new style of "tanking" where a contender takes a season or two off in order to stockpile high draft picks. It was hugely successful for the Spurs, and if the Warriors turn around and do it too, front offices may start seeing a pattern.

But if everyone is doing it and hoarding their picks, nobody will stockpile enough of them.

There will always be the Kings.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The Cavs are the next Dubs

Garland, Allen, & Mobley plus whatever return they get for jettisoning Sexton to Orlando

I don't see the Cavs having the scoring power to be the next dubs. I love those guys but if Cleveland can't find a way to hide Sexton on defense and get him to play with Garland better, then they'll need to find someone else that can. If you don't have a dude that average 26 a game and occasionally go off for 35, you aren't a contender in today's NBA.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

But if everyone is doing it and hoarding their picks, nobody will stockpile enough of them.

It sorta worked for Philly (they got Embiid but missed on Jalil Okafor, Markell Fultz, and Nerlens Noel). I guess we'll see what happens with OKC...

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

Championship windows for contenders are so small though that I think that only really works if you're in a season that's absolutely cut short by a major injury to a major star. Otherwise it'd be way too risky a thing to calculate and bet on.

Plus, many teams aren't clear cut contenders for multiple years the way the Warriors were. Not to the point where they're certain they could tank for a year and still have a window. AND it'd be a tactic that would rely on 1) drafting correctly 2) having rookies be immediate contributors to a championship team.

I'm not sure this will be a thing across the league, aside from when opportunities present themselves naturally.

edited May 2022
    Intermittent tanking hasn’t done anything for the Dubs

Kuminga (7th pick) might be a good rotation player, but you could literally exchange him for a replacement guy this year with no change
    Wiseman (2nd) was pretty awful as a rookie and has played like 43 total games of basketball since High School so who knows

Poole looks like a terrifying piece for the Dubs but he was drafted 29th

Wait missed one- they traded a protected 1st for Kelly Oubre Jrs expiring contract

Captain Inertia on
    edited May 2022
    The Warriors just lucked out having guys taken at 7, 11, and 35 all end up HoFers at the same time and then getting “healthy” again

Captain Inertia on
    As always, the draft is an absolute crapshoot.

The Warriors just lucked out having guys taken at 7, 11, and 35 all end up HoFers at the same time and then getting “healthy” again

They deserve credit for drafting those guys but they don't deserve credit for Curry not being good enough for his first max extension and then being an All-NBA player immediately after.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Except for the Kings who drafted Marvin Bagley instead of Luka Doncic and Thomas Robinson instead of Dame Lillard

Butters wrote: »

They deserve credit for drafting those guys but they don't deserve credit for Curry not being good enough for his first max extension and then being an All-NBA player immediately after.

That’s a good point, Steph’s ankles are key to this

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Do the Cavs really have a player with a reasonable chance at an MVP season, much less "greatest shooter of all time" level? Maybe Evan Mobley has an outside chance, I suppose? Not that the Cavs do either, really.

edited May 2022
    Mobley has “all NBA” and DPOY potential, basically his ceiling is “more versatile version of Rudy Gobert”

Garland and Allen are all stars already but more of the “several other guys are injured” variety

That being said, these guys are all like 22 and better at this age than the Dubs 3 dudes, though with completely different skill sets that don’t seem to offer the same potential

Mostly I joke when I bring up the Cavs in this scenario because of how unlikely their quick turnaround is in the league

Captain Inertia on
    I see Garland as more of a Tony Parker or Chris Paul type player than a splash bro. He can shoot and has a great floater but he's primarily a facilitator not a scorer. If he has the slasher in him Steph does I surely haven't seen it. Allen needs to add something to his game to be a true All Star. He's great but looked a little lost offensively when defenses cover the dunk spot. Probably just needs to improve his rebounding and boxing out. The Cavs surprisingly gave up a lot of offensive rebounds this season despite all the size.

Mobley could be Duncan 2.0 and I think he has MVP vote potential going forward. He was the most impactful rookie defensively in like 25 years and he's still skinny as a rail. A bit of meat on those bones and he'll be a force of nature.

When I see Garland play, he actually looks a lot like Dame, to me. Pick and roll maestro, athletic but not supremely so, great moves and range, but not crazy efficient, a bit on the smaller side.

I also agree that Allen doesn't seem to show the true all-star offensive versatility you might hope for, but that's not necessarily crucial if the other guys land on the high side of their projections.

Mobley, being a rookie, has a lot of variance to what he may eventually become. He could be Duncanish, or KGish, but also, like, Lamar Odomish or Rudy Gobertish. Still, getting a Rudy Gobert is very good player.

That 4 for 44 contract had everything to do with Curry's repeated ankle injuries, not his skill level.

That'll never happen again, it feels like Steph didn't display Zion like impact on his rookie contract, but we are about to see Zion be offered a max contract after playing like 50 games in his first 3 seasons, including missing his most recent one without being injured in a basketball game.

I may need to bring back my "Zion isn't a basketball player so much as an abstract theoretical concept" bit that most of you hated.

TheBigEasy wrote: »
    As always, the draft is an absolute crapshoot.

Yes, look at the Warriors draft history before Curry, Klay, and Draymond...the Kings are like the New, Old Warriors. Outside of Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson, and Monta Ellis, it was pretty bare for a long time...

TelMarine wrote: »

That 4 for 44 contract had everything to do with Curry's repeated ankle injuries, not his skill level.

Funnily enough, Curry talked about this with Draymond recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNZVuKbBcU

burbo wrote: »
    When I see Garland play, he actually looks a lot like Dame, to me. Pick and roll maestro, athletic but not supremely so, great moves and range, but not crazy efficient, a bit on the smaller side.

I also agree that Allen doesn't seem to show the true all-star offensive versatility you might hope for, but that's not necessarily crucial if the other guys land on the high side of their projections.

Mobley, being a rookie, has a lot of variance to what he may eventually become. He could be Duncanish, or KGish, but also, like, Lamar Odomish or Rudy Gobertish. Still, getting a Rudy Gobert is very good player.

He doesn't have the quick shooting stroke Dame has but I guess that could change. I have heard that Garland's biggest fan in the league is actually Steph. I forget what show or podcast it was on but Jackie McMullan said Steph absolutely gushed over Garland in an interview with her which is interesting.

A lot of it was also how, in those play in games, Garland looked like Dame in that he had a roster full of teammates who couldn't get bucket and was having to do some overmatched, inefficient superhero shit like Dame did in those first few years after Lamarcus left.

edited May 2022
    burbo wrote: »
    A lot of it was also how, in those play in games, Garland looked like Dame in that he had a roster full of teammates who couldn't get bucket and was having to do some overmatched, inefficient superhero shit like Dame did in those first few years after Lamarcus left.

The Cavs completely ran out of gas the end of the season. They are very young and they had a lot of late injuries so guys that started the year playing single-digit minutes were playing like 20+

As a rookie that also experienced COVID cancellations much of the last two years, Mobley probably played more minutes and games in 2021-2022 than he did the last 4. He simply didn't have the endurance to compete in the play-ins at age 19.

Butters on
    wooow bucks
    everyone keeps talking shit about these giannis 3s and then he buries a key one lol

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    crazy defensive plays by the bucks here on the threshold of taking an away game

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This game is fucking insane, and I like it. What an amazing play by Jrue.

Wow, Jrue Holiday was huge the last minute

ughhh
    these turnoverssss
    whyyyyy

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I was not expecting my dumb fanboy jokes to become reality, but it is decided:

Steven Adams > Ja

dlinfiniti wrote: »
    wooow bucks
    everyone keeps talking shit about these giannis 3s and then he buries a key one lol

I mean, 4-23 is 4-23 (or whatever hes at now). A few go in, doesnt make it smart. Nobody makes 0%. Except Ben Simmons, of course.

Draymond been awful this whole series. Not valuing the ball at all.