As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    It's very much an own goal.
    Starmer is found guilty? resigns, labour has the opportunity to get a leader with a bit more charisma, torys look like absolute twats because their guy didn't resign despite doing worse.
    Starmer found innocent? Labour can ride that integrity high horse all day long, torys look like absolute twats because they now have to explain their hypocrisy.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Starmer is found guilty? resigns, labour has the opportunity to get a leader with a bit more charisma, torys look like absolute twats because their guy didn't resign despite doing worse.
    Starmer found innocent? Labour can ride that integrity high horse all day long, torys look like absolute twats because they now have to explain their hypocrisy.

If Starmer is forced to make good on his promise and follows through it might be the shrewdest thing he's done. But let's see if the bridge comes up.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Sun demanded he resign in an editorial the other day.

I think Starmer should just say “It’s true I though being fined should lead to a resignation, but I am going to follow the example set by our Prime Minster and just stay, because clearly it’s just not a big deal.”

M-Vickers wrote: »
    The Sun demanded he resign in an editorial the other day.

I think Starmer should just say “It’s true I though being fined should lead to a resignation, but I am going to follow the example set by our Prime Minster and just stay, because clearly it’s just not a big deal.”

I don't think this is a good idea. The whole point of his speech was "not all politicians are like flacid alex". If he stays he undermines that and by doing so damages british democracy in the longterm.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Student who shot Keir Starmer Beergate video is Breitbart writer’s son

Of course it is.
    Ivo Delingpole, son of James Delingpole, lived nearby and spotted Labour leader through window of Durham Miners Hall

Jazz on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I'm being serious here: "Looking like absolute twats" is something the current government do not care about in the slightest. If Starmer resigns, it can be spun as Labour being chaotic and their leader getting his just deserts. If he's found innocent, hmm hmmm hmm that's still very suspicious I think there are plenty of questions we should be asking about the integrity of the opposition.

It'd be an own goal if they gave a shit about decorum. They don't.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    People are leaving the conservative party in droves, 500 seats worth. You absolutely don't want to do anything to justify their actions or make it seem 'politics as usual'.
    Clinton gets a lot of shit for 'taking the high road', but in this case it's working and the alternative is just embracing corruption as SOP like Boris has.

Biggest hit is going to be "they're all the same" response to Starmer resigning, but hopefully that's temporary and gives a chance to get people more enthusiastic about the Leader of the Opposition.

There's very few actual Conservative party members, and a lot of Labour ones. Different kind of allegiances than the US.

Tastyfish on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

Keir Starmer
    [picture of Bart from Blazing Saddles holding himself hostage]

Frankie Boyle is a comedian.

Shadowen on
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Keir Starmer
    [picture of Bart from Blazing Saddles holding himself hostage]

Frankie Boyle is a comedian.

The follow up quote to that scene is "Baby you are so talented. And they are so stupid."

Wonder who the they is in this situation.

Burnage wrote: »

I'm being serious here: "Looking like absolute twats" is something the current government do not care about in the slightest. If Starmer resigns, it can be spun as Labour being chaotic and their leader getting his just deserts. If he's found innocent, hmm hmmm hmm that's still very suspicious I think there are plenty of questions we should be asking about the integrity of the opposition.

It'd be an own goal if they gave a shit about decorum. They don't.

I totally agree with you there, I meant that it will affect the voters and tory supporters.
    I realise that some are too far gone to reach, but for some this will be the tipping point and clawing back voters bit by bit is better than nothing.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, the people who think that this bit of rank hypocrisy will end Johnson politically are either idealistic or haven't been paying attention, but hopefully it will just add another nagging thought into the minds of Tory voters who may eventually decide they're not worth the vote

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    No spending our way out of trouble apparently. Still no windfall tax, still no making the wealthy pay their fair share, inflation going to 10%, people apparently telling Tesco cashiers to stop scanning at £40. Something needs to change soon.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I don’t even understand what “can’t spend our way out if this” means; what has been proposed that this is in reference to?

We’re going to create a bunch of high paying jobs? When do those appear for those having to make the choice of paying the rent, or their electrics or their food?

It’s fucking nonsense. All wind. I’d say they’ve just pulled a bunch of phrases from some kind of bag but that would give these sacks of shit too much credit.

You’ve got a tonne of people / companies who made off like bandits in the last few years but the answer is to increase the tax of everyone (but not those at the top because they don’t fucking pay anyway).

Absolutely useless.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sounds more like tighten-your-belt-and-think-of-England austerity level bullshit.

'If we spent any money trying to help people now, they would just expect more help the next time we fuck it up!'

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It's not even that, it's "our maniac friends said mean things after we talked about raising taxes, so we can't or we'll get fired."
    It's the ERG/Covid denial core group flexing their muscles again. This is completely the opposite of their campaigning and post victory stance.

Tastyfish on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    The phrase "Tighten our belts" is forever linked with C.J Haughey in my mind, which probably explains the taste of bile that accompanies it.
    And I have no doubt that the kind of fuckery that even Haughey would consider beyond the pale is just another day at the office for this shower.

sig.gif
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I don’t even understand what “can’t spend our way out if this” means; what has been proposed that this is in reference to?

We’re going to create a bunch of high paying jobs? When do those appear for those having to make the choice of paying the rent, or their electrics or their food?

It’s fucking nonsense. All wind. I’d say they’ve just pulled a bunch of phrases from some kind of bag but that would give these sacks of shit too much credit.

You’ve got a tonne of people / companies who made off like bandits in the last few years but the answer is to increase the tax of everyone (but not those at the top because they don’t fucking pay anyway).

Absolutely useless.

Tories, in other words.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Political satire is dead...

James Felton is a political commentator and the video shows Michael Gove, Minister for Levelling Up talking about nonsense.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Anyone else think it's funny how they've made "levelling up" such a slogan that it now has its own department, when the chances are none of them have ever played an RPG in their lives?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I fucking hate that the media let them get away with the constant use of 'levelling up' without challenging how empty and meaningless it is. Infuriates me every time I hear it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's funny how they've made "levelling up" such a slogan that it now has its own department, when the chances are none of them have ever played an RPG in their lives?

Charisma was definitely a dump stat

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Could someone summarise? I don't willingly watch videos featuring Michael Gove in the same way I don't hold knives by the blade.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Gove does at least 3 silly voices in the space of 25 seconds whilst mocking what I assume is some reactions to some (possibly budgetary) policy

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    He also threw in a reference to the Harry Enfield Scousers sketches, from the 1990s.

Lest we think Gove doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the cultural zeitgeist.

sig.gif
    I'm sure Harry Enfield is delighted at the Tories availing of his material.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I remember reading an article the other week about how the levelling up slogan had been quietly dropped

Here it is if you want more detail about how little has actually been done

I had completely forgotten that this was a thing from 2019.

Funny to see it suddenly come back, but it's just a soundbite to through around. Like "Can't spend out way out of this", there's no substance to the statement.

It also reminded me of Johnson prior to the local elections saying that Labour council's go bust (I think Liverpool's are in trouble), but the most glaring example of this happening, is Northampton's, which Conservatives used to boast about having one of the lowest Council taxes and that other Council's should follow with regards to how they should be run.

PSN Fleety2009
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I still genuinely can't quite believe that "Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities" is a real position in our government. What in the hell.

klemming wrote: »
    Could someone summarise? I don't willingly watch videos featuring Michael Gove in the same way I don't hold knives by the blade.

Obese hamster asks cocaine snorting cat fucker a bunch of soft balled questions regarding economy and cost of living crisis, latter says government has all the answers without actually describing any or deflects by rambling on about how the UK did really well on Covid. Entirely skippable.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Let's also not forget Jacob Rees-Mogg, Minister for Brexit Opportunities and Government Efficiency.

Which, by all accounts means going on TV spouting nonsense and bullying the Civil Service with passive aggressive notes on notice boards.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Nothing like starting a trade war to distract the masses:

Bloomberg is a news website.

I'm sure this will help with the cost of living crisis.

SharpyVII wrote: »
    Nothing like starting a trade war to distract the masses:

Bloomberg is a news website.

I'm sure this will help with the cost of living crisis.

Perfect scale goat though. Just blame all your fuckups on covid and the mean EU.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I can’t tell if this is a miscalculated overreaction to the DUP losing Stormont or a housewarming gift to Sinn Fein

fuck gendered marketing
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    As far as the DUP are concerned it feels like desperate flailing from not very bright people who are terrified of becoming obsolete and the increasing prospect of a united Ireland. They'd rather wreck everything and have the troubles back than let them win.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    As far as the DUP are concerned it feels like desperate flailing from not very bright people who are terrified of becoming obsolete and the increasing prospect of a united Ireland. They'd rather wreck everything and have the troubles back than let them win.

The problem of course is that by the time you worry you might become obsolete you already long have been

fuck gendered marketing
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Speaking of the DUP, it comes as no surprise that Donaldson decided not to take the MLA seat he was just elected to and will remain in Westminister instead.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61390917

The whole thing is incredibly frustrating. We're being held hostage by a minority that doesn't actually want to take part. It's also infuriating to hear them frame it as 'protecting the Good Friday Belfast Agreement', which they never backed, when it's exactly the opposite! The DUP backed brexit as a wrecking move against the GFA, then panicked when it backfired on them.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    more Cummings alas but in this case directly confirming that boris personally oversaw payments to newspapers dressed up as covid relief...!

obF2Wuw.png
    Does he have the receipts?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Does he have the receipts?
    He's probably the one who burned them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The last days of this government are going to involve a lot of document burning.

Another interesting note on thread was the claim that Johnson specifically (at the behest of some tory MPs) made grouse shooting exempt from covid regulations. Yet more evidence that the tories really do live on a different planet. Also somewhat discouraging as that whole rotten industry needs banned rather than propped up.

altid on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    The last days of this government are going to involve a lot of document burning.

Another interesting note on thread was the claim that Johnson specifically (at the behest of some tory MPs) made grouse shooting exempt from covid regulations. Yet more evidence that the tories really do live on a different planet. Also somewhat discouraging as that whole rotten industry needs banned rather than propped up.

Stop grousing?

This discussion has been closed.