As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Ha, while trying to get another Nidorino just for the dex entry of evolving to Nidoking this happened:
    Me: "Why is that Nidoran female sparkling? Oh, because it's a shiny Nidoran male"

:P No chaining, just a rando shiny. At least I didn't lose this one like the Seel (still salty about that... I may farm one through chains later just for spite).

Don't know why I'm going so hard on this game when it's just a damn rental and I OWN the Eevee version (like, the shiny charm is kinda pointless here...), but I've been going ham working on my dex before the Elite 4. I think I'm only missing Sandslash and Charmeleon? (the two I can't catch and have to evolve to get... I suppose I could send a Sandslash from Go but meh... I didn't have enough Chamanders to send over a Charmeleon... they were all shadow/cleansed versions which won't transfer). I'm missing Lickitung, Golduck, Moltres and Mewtwo as well, but I mean, they're on path :P

Money is so damn hard in this game. I miss amulet coin T_T I literally have a Snorlax with Pay Day at the head of my party to spam on every trainer fight for extra cash and I'm still poor because the catch rate of everything is so awful even with ultra balls (it doesn't help that the motion controls are literal garbage and half my throws go in the opposite direction I'm swinging).

This is making me wanna go back to Eevee and finish that up after, since I stopped somewhere around Fushia (I really hope I already did Silph Co in that, that segment was so long and tedious... fuck those warp tiles). (all that said, I really need to get back to Black before I've put it down for too long... I was just before the Elite Four there...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I beat Let's Go Pikachu and proceeded to bang my head at the wall that is shiny hunting to try and get a couple Pikachu exclusive pokemon shinies before I return it. I got Growlithe and Grimer after an absurd amount of time. I think I'm gonna do Oddish and call it good. Meanwhile I picked Eevee back up and I'm gonna try to finish that one too. Had to do Silph Co all over again.. ugg.. hate that building. At least I knew exactly which telepod to use this time. Also got the special outfits which I quickly realized is super unbalanced. How is it Let's Go Pikachu gets a Raichu outfit, but Let's Go Eevee gets a Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon outfit?? I guess I bought the right version ultimately in that regard :P

Also I realized I can't transfer my Pikachu off Let's Go Pikachu T_T Which makes me wonder why the Pikachu/Eeevee exclusive special moves are in the move dex in HOME, cuz it's impossible to get those Pokemon transferred there.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So after having left off on Pokemon Sword at the beginning due to Covid, I picked it up once again and have been pointed towards the first gym. I also bought access to the DLC expansions though back then too and I'm curious to know when is a good time to start those as I heard there's level scaling involved with both. Do the levels become static in the DLC areas once you first step on over there or do they stay fluid depending on the highest level Pokemon in your party?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You can do them as soon as you unlock the Wild Area I think

Iirc they scale based on your number of gyms or something like that?

Not sure how well they scale though, I did them both after finishing the story

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I was in a similar boat to you, but yeah, as far as I can tell the dlc scales much like the wild area in the main game, based on story progress/badges than anything else. I left the bulk of the dlc till after the main credits, but I think it would probably play better just dipping in and out of the dlc areas during a normal story playthrough.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I went to Isle of Armor as soon as I could and everything was level appropriate, but some stuff was gated off until after you're champion. Coming back to check after every couple gyms stuff leveled up, but always felt under leveled because I myself ended up over leveled by grinding the super easy low level raids. When I came back as champion, the wild Pokemon were all ~60 and many were evolved, basically the same progression as the wild area. Still fodder for a champion team but worth exp and worth catching.

Crown Tundra I assume scales the same way, but shortly after you arrive you end up fighting a dude with a level 70 behemoth of a Copperjah and he doesn't scale either way. The game proceeds whether you win or not but unless you've got something stupidly specific he can't deal with you're going to get your ass kicked unless you come very late in the game.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Stumbled on this guy's channel last night. This video is pretty interesting:
    https://youtu.be/NfM5KOuU6FE

Basically they totally teased Scarlet and Violet in Sword and Shield, and also some hints from when Masuda visited Portugal back in 2016 (potentially the inspiration for the gen?) how he was super interested in a Rooster figurine and how it would make a good Pokemon. So the guess is that we might be getting a Rooster Pokemon in Gen 9.

There's also this:
    https://youtu.be/yKugjDFGBEw

It's not clear if this is real or fake, but potentially Fuecoco's evolution. The one thing I feel really supporting this is there's a Spanish legend that ties really well into the design. But obviously this shit is so easy for people to fake too so who knows.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I did it.

100% Perfect research for every pokemon available. The game does not acknowledge this or reward it in anyway outside of +1 bonus shiny roll but it was something i wanted to do so i did it.

Now i can focus entirely on shiny hunting

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    :X

I've done like Bigmouth Bog or whatever it's called on the second map.

discrider on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    That rooster is REALLY traditional in Portugal. No doubt it's gonna be in the game.

And I had beaten Sword already when the DLC came out, so I went there at max level. It was pretty great.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    What about the Kubfu? Does it's level rise up to match when you get one or will it still be low-leveled?

• Options
    it's baby, but when you're fighting lvl 60 mons, it gets leveled up pretty damn quick

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, cause the game has Exp-share permanently on.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind is that the enemy levels in the tower do scale up (might only be when you get your eighth badge though) and you have to clear it with only Kubfu.

I honestly enjoyed doing the Isle of Armor as soon as it was available in a secondary play through. You can get Urshifu at like level 30 which is a neat Pokémon to go through the game with.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    You can get access to the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra like as soon as you can access the wild area train.

I did it to get both of the Crown Tundra horses and both Kubfu forms because you can access pokebank on your alternate profile. So i got Kubfu sent it to my main profile candied it to 100 and EV trained it then sent it back to the alternate profile to clear crown tundra and isle of armor

Only to find out that you can complete all of crown tundra up to actually catching the horse because once you get to that point it throws some bullshit "U r 2 scard 2 face dis challung go becom pkmon league chumpion!"

So i then spent the next like 8 hours mashing through the entire main game story.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Zunde wrote: »
    it throws some bullshit "U r 2 scard 2 face dis challung go becom pkmon league chumpion!"

Literally my biggest complaint about Sword & Shield right there. Don't limit what I'm allowed to catch. If I want to try to catch a Pokemon way over my level, let me freaking try. And if you want to keep people from steamrolling the game with high level Pokemon, that's literally what the Gym Badge obeying mechanic is for.

It always especially pissed me off when the Pokemon would be like, two levels higher but this was above the arbitrary range the game decided I was allowed to catch. It could be a freaking Magikarp that only knows Splash and you're be "scared of it."

One of the many reasons I didn't like the wild area (other areas were scaled appropriately so you just didn't encounter this at all). Gonna be really upset if this mechanic is back in gen 9 (it wasn't for BDSP and Arceus so I'm hoping they learned)

Edit: Random side note, I was in the mood so I started watching the anime from the beginning again. Man, it's interesting to watch this now. I knew (but forgot) the anime called Arcanine a legendary pokemon in Episode 2, but it's a little crazy how inconsistent they are with rare Pokemon. They'll say Dragonite is so rare no one has ever seen it, but then they'll have Kabutos and Kabutops all over the place like it's just this thing everyone knows about, despite being extinct Pokemon. Also the 4Kids censorship is so hilariously cringe. Brock's Jelly Donuts crack me up every time. But they're constantly talking about getting Chinese food or Hamburgers or Pizza and you just know there's no way that's the original dialog.. haha.. every gun is a "water gun" and the "snow bazooka" seems to shoot cherry blossoms? It's so weird.

Also I realized for the first time just HOW bad with directions Ash is. After Cerulean they head to Vermillion and get lost for several episodes. At some point Ash mentions looking for Route 24 which should lead to Vermillion. Having just beaten Let's Go Pikachu, this line caught my attention because Route 24 is literally NORTH of Cerulean City. Sure enough, next episode they meet Bill, who lives just beyond Route 24 on the cape in the games too. They literally went the OPPOSITE direction of the city they were heading to.........

Also, I missed the overt sexism of Brock.. haha.. it was a little surprising to hear the lines "she can violate me anytime" in a kid's show, and talk of cat fights :D Ah the 90s.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I broke down and ordered Alpha Sapphire. I won't have time to play it for awhile but figured I should probably jump on it *now* while the price is reasonable rather than deal with another $100+ situation like Black & Black 2. Stores already stopped selling 3DS games so I feel it's only a matter of time before prices jump up (especially once the eShop shuts down)

Also realized recently that, um, holy crap, I can actually rescue my Pokemon from Ruby that I haven't touched in 10 years :P I don't even know what I caught in that game or what my team even was (I'm assuming I picked Torchic). I also don't think I ever beat the Elite Four.. haha.. I sorta remember heading that way and then losing interest in the game (and the franchise - stupid younger me). But I bought Platinum off ebay about a month ago and I guess you can trade to that game (I think once you've beaten the Elite Four?) though I hear it's janky and you can only do like six at a time. I dunno. Still need to beat Black so I can trade off the couple mons the previous save game came with (he has some decent stuff like the lake guardians, might as well save them before I erase his file :P) but I'm right before the Elite Four there too.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I broke down and ordered Alpha Sapphire. I won't have time to play it for awhile but figured I should probably jump on it *now* while the price is reasonable rather than deal with another $100+ situation like Black & Black 2. Stores already stopped selling 3DS games so I feel it's only a matter of time before prices jump up (especially once the eShop shuts down)

Also realized recently that, um, holy crap, I can actually rescue my Pokemon from Ruby that I haven't touched in 10 years :P I don't even know what I caught in that game or what my team even was (I'm assuming I picked Torchic). I also don't think I ever beat the Elite Four.. haha.. I sorta remember heading that way and then losing interest in the game (and the franchise - stupid younger me). But I bought Platinum off ebay about a month ago and I guess you can trade to that game (I think once you've beaten the Elite Four?) though I hear it's janky and you can only do like six at a time. I dunno. Still need to beat Black so I can trade off the couple mons the previous save game came with (he has some decent stuff like the lake guardians, might as well save them before I erase his file :P) but I'm right before the Elite Four there too.

You need an OG DS (maybe a DS Lite?) to do the Gen 3 -> Gen 4 transfer via Pal Park. Basically you pick 6 Pokemon at a time and then you gotta go re-catch them. It's not terrible IIRC in terms of time, and you don't have to weaken them or anything. Unfortunately I think you're limited to 1 transfer per day, so if you've got an extensive collection in Ruby it's gonna take a few days.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    DS lite is fine, you just need a model with the GBA slot to use the pal park

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Terrendos wrote: »

You need an OG DS (maybe a DS Lite?) to do the Gen 3 -> Gen 4 transfer via Pal Park. Basically you pick 6 Pokemon at a time and then you gotta go re-catch them. It's not terrible IIRC in terms of time, and you don't have to weaken them or anything. Unfortunately I think you're limited to 1 transfer per day, so if you've got an extensive collection in Ruby it's gonna take a few days.

Yeah, I have one. Been using it to play GBA stuff for awhile :3 I just need to dig out my Ruby cart (which I think I know where it is, or at least, I know what case it's in :P)

For whatever reason I got the idea that I wanted to boot up Pokemon Y again last night to see if I could farm some extra Modern pattern Vivillons before I inevitably reset that save later on to replay stuff. Apparently I left myself with a lvl 1 Eevee -_- Luckily also left myself with like 90 Quick Balls so it wasn't too hard to catch a few things, including a Ducklett I could teach Fly and Surf to (seriously, how do you fly on that thing? It's tiny!). Then I proceeded to get hooked and played all night grinding stuff and doing some trades with the half-functioning GTS (it's full of hacked mons that literally crash the game if you try to initiate those trades because they've overridden the Gender and Level values with invalid stuff - and of course, they're all like "Trade a zubat for a shiny Vivillon!" bullshit). At some point some asshole literally kept trading me a Modern Vivillon for my Modern Vivillon over and over (it had to be the same guy) so I switched it to Vivillon for Scatterbug before going to bed. Have to see if that pans out tonight. Like, I would have literally been happy with any other pattern, even if it was a dupe of the couple I had just traded for previously. It's a shame gen 6 GTS doesn't let you ask for certain forms like Home GTS. You have to write a message and trust people won't be jerks in your "Vivillon for Vivillon" trades.

Otherwise I spent a lot of time just evolving Scatterbugs to Vivillons and also trying to get a couple evos that I was too lazy to do back when I first played (I had Gogoat in my dex but I must have traded it away at some point, so I got one of those.. also I never evolved a Florges so I did that and I'm working on a Malamar). I *tried* to do the Furfrou cuts (which I know don't transfer to Home properly but you get credit for them in the dex) but apparently in X & Y the cuts revert as soon as you deposit them in the PC T_T I googled and this isn't the case for Ultra Sun/Moon so I guess I'll just have to do it there instead. (still, wish they didn't revert in the transfer to Bank... literally every trade on Home GTS wants a god damn Furfrou cut.. apparently because Pokemon Go was the only way to legit get them in Home)

Oh, and I'm a fucking idiot. I had two unclaimed Mystery Gifts for Genesect and Meloetta. This explains so much because I knew I remembered doing those events but I didn't see the Pokemon so I assumed Bank lost them or something. No, I'm just dumb. Thank god I looked before erasing the save. Also apparently I somehow beat the game but never stumbled on the Looker questline?!? It just popped up when I went to Lumiose City, which apparently I never did after I beat that game. I don't know how.. I think I'll save it for my re-playthrough though (unless there's good Pokemon rewards? I kinda doubt it) since my team is literally like, a lvl 40ish Talonflame, Ducklett and Flareon right now :P (wish I had just gone straight for Talonflame... I went Flareon because bug and grass is common and I just needed something to help level the scatterbugs.. But then I also wanted Flame Body for egg hatching... oh well). I wish there was some way to save all these items and money. I have *so much stuff* on this save file because I actually did play the shit out of this game (but somehow missed so many rando items on the ground.. I kept finding them all over).

Bah, I really need to get back to Pokemon Black though. I keep pivoting. But at the same time I got myself up to the Elite Four in Let's Go Eevee too so I wanna finish that up. So much crap to do :P

Edit: Well not only did switch Vivillon to Scatterbug in the trade work out, someone sent me a shiny Scatterbug :P (it was a pattern I didn't have yet too) Then I went back to Vivillon for Vivillon and the next trade was a shiny too :D I am ok with these trades :3

Also looked at my dex in Home and cleaned up some gen 6 stuff I was missing last night. I really must have gone through this game without using a guide because I missed so many pokemon on rando routes. Like I had never caught a Dragalge despite being available practically for free with a Super Rod. I also somehow never caught a Binacle and thus didn't have the evolved form, even though I am pretty sure I've caught it in other games (I guess I never bothered to evolve?). The whole Karrablast traded with Shelmet and vice versa trade evos was so easy but I never did that either. And I mean, I never even caught Zygarde somehow. I'm pretty sure I never knew he was even in the game (I guess at the time I assumed he would be "new" for Pokemon Z?)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Beat Pokemon Black :3 Thought I would be over-leveled but somehow ended up being a couple levels under N's team. Made it semi challenging but still not too hard :P

Trying to go through and do post game stuff now. Emphasizing that I really should make a "catching" Pokemon since Quick Balls are increasingly working like shit in all the new areas with gens 1-4 Pokemon. Also everything is suddenly about 10-15 levels above me now so that's swell. Really just need something with like Hypnosis and False Swipe.

Found Cynthia. She then proceeded to kick my ass with her level 75-77 team (mine was like 55). Lost a bunch of money wiping to her (I hadn't saved beforehand like an idiot but also I gained some levels so I just took the death), then slammed my head against a wall trying to beat her anyways. Finally did. Go go Toxic + potion stall strats! Not the most elegant win but I mean, she was 20 levels above my team... All that for... money :/ Probably less money than I spent on Hyper Potions and Revives :/ Oh well, I did it. Also fuck that Lucario. How is that thing such a pain in the ass when it was the joke of her team in Shining Pearl? Also fuck Double Team spamming Spiritomb (though that made him a good pokemon to get her to waste her Full Restore on)

I hate that I am so close to finishing the Unova regional dex, but I can probably never do this due to Pokemon White exclusives and no online trading T_T If only Black didn't use Poke Transporter I could use Bank as a middle-man and probably catch what I need in a different game. Bleh. (I swear I am half-tempted to buy White 2 but I will resist...) Edit: Hmmmmm... apparently the DNS trick to get the Event Pokemon allows trading too? God I need so few (literally Oshawott, Solosis and Rufflet... everything else I should be able to get via trades with Black 2 theoretically... though breeding Tepig and Tirtouga will likely be a pain) I may try to explore this...

I guess when I'm finally done with the post game I'll pick Ultra Moon back up. That one I AM determined to finish the regional dex in. I figure I just need a couple trades (other two starters + Sun fossils) and a couple touch trades for Solgeleo and the Ultra Sun exclusive Ultra Beasts (luckily I don't think any of the old legendaries added in to this version count for the regional dex and are just part of the national dex)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    OMG FINALLY

Also dang, Google lied to me. I read I could transfer Therian form Thundurus from Black 2 to Black and it would just "revert back to normal form." But that was a lie, it won't transfer at all T_T So I can't get Landorus in Black until I get the damn mirror in Black 2 which I assume is post game :/ Oh well I guess, but boo.

Did finally unlock the ability to transfer shit from gen 4 to gen 5 tho. Kind of a pain in the ass! You must transfer 6 at a time (and only 6) and you have to play a dumb minigame every time :( This is gonna suck when I'm trying to transfer actual catches from Platinum instead of just the leftovers from the guy who sold the game to me (he had legendaries, I wanted to keep them :3 Though Jesus, I went to go catch a Kirlia to turn into a catching mon in Black and he hadn't explored Route 12 at all?? Despite being post game. Had to fight two Police Officers with the level 23 Staravia I left in the game cuz it had Fly.. ugg.. )

• Options
    I just use pksm as pokemon bank; copy the gen 4 pokemon over to PKSM, then copy from PKSM to gen 5, 6, 7.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well damn, the Gothita I left in Gen 5's GTS which is now basically shut down was actually traded for a Solosis. And then I tried to trade a Mandibuzz for a Braviary (because fuck there not being a single NPC in this game with a Rufflet - I googled it) and that went through too. Literally just need an Oshawott and I'll be able to get a complete Gen V regional dex! I'll have to unfortunately wait until I can actually transform Thundurus in Black 2 before I can trade him but still... Dang.

Edit: Oh, this explains it:
    https://pkmnclassic.net/gts/

There's literally a website where you can look up trades on this custom GTS so no wonder people were able to find my trades despite the Black GTS interface being god-awful. Also I looked for the Snivy I put up and it wasn't there so I think when I get home I'll have that Oshawott :3

Also, watching various videos on gen 5, TIL Shiny Charm wasn't invented until Black & White 2 and it required a full NATIONAL dex T_T I still wanna complete the gen 5 regional dex for funsies tho.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kinda mad the gift for Arceus isnt hidden ability starters too but eh. I can finally transfer my guys over at least.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Hmm, well this is a thing that I just saw pointed out on the Pokemon reddit about the upcoming Home update that I glossed over before... from the official page:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/new-pokemon-home-update-to-add-recent-pokemon-game-compatibility/
    Until now, the only Pokédex in Pokémon HOME was the National Pokédex. But starting from version 2.0.0, the Pokédex from each game will be added.​ Pokémon in your Boxes in Pokémon HOME will be registered in their respective game's Pokédex after version 2.0.0 of Pokémon HOME is installed.​ Pokémon that aren't in a Box when the ver. 2.0.0 update is installed, such as those that have been traded away, will not be registered.

So, if I'm reading this right, after this update Home will show you the Pokedexes of all compatible games inside HOME. BUT ALSO, Home will go into said compatible games and update the Pokedexes with all Pokemon you have currently in your Home boxes? Or is this just worded really poorly? Because that would be huge. To get essentially national dex completion in every game (gen 8+) just by linking to Home without having to tediously trade stuff over to the game itself would be kind of amazing.

I really hope I'm reading that right and it's not somehow filling in the game-specific Pokedexes *inside* Home only (which would be weirdly inconsistent IMO). I also wonder if this is a one-time thing when you patch Home or if everytime you add a brand new Pokemon to Home, it goes into Sword & Shield, etc and updates those Pokedexes with that Pokemon....

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I read that as Home will include the specific pokedexs of every different game (r/b, s/m, d/p etc.) in addition to its default national dex. So you'll be able to view those game specific dexes and see how many of those you've completed.

But if you had a pokemon in Home and it's registered in the Home national dex, but you've since removed it from Home, it won't be added to the game specific dex until you return it to Home. In other words, having a pokemon registered in Home national dex won't automatically include it in the game specific dex, the pokemon must be physically present in Home.

Home already allows you to switch between the pokedex entries from each different game a pokemon is in right? I think all they're doing is expanding that out into an actual pokedex for each of those games.

The question for me is, is it every pokemon game or just Home compatible games? If it's just Home compatible games, then I assume the Legends dex would only be filled in by pokemon who were caught in L:A originally, BDSP dex only by pokemon caught in BDSP etc. Basically a record of how many pokemon games you completed the pokedex in.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Ok, this is pretty cool
    https://youtu.be/VZN5FYYUcP8

Spoilers for Legends Arceus

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I completed the Pokemon Black regional dex except for Thundurus and Landorus :/ Stupid google lying to me about being able to trade Therian forms backwards -_- At some point I will play Black 2 far enough to get the dumb mirror and then I'll be able to totally finish the Black 1 regional dex, but for now I'm moving on to Ultra Moon instead.

Speaking of which, I figured out a way around the gen 7 GTS being a broken POS. I just deposited a Vivillon asking for a Litten and it got traded pretty quick. Let someone else deal with the hazards of navigating that thing :P (though to be fair, I think if you go for a non-shiny trade you're probably safe.. all the broken trades are likely just for shinies). I think with that I'll be covered for a full Ultra Moon regional dex eventually, minus needing the Ultra Sun exclusive Ultra Beasts + Solgeleo. I figure I can arrange a touch trade of those probably. I don't actually need to own them (I think all of them are available in SwSh DLC anyways), I just need the dex entry. I've got everything else exclusive to Ultra Sun traded over now, either via my copy of regular Sun or from other games (mostly the fossil Pokemon which I could get from other places... like the Omanyte I just got in Black after I realized I could reset for different daily fossils and I didn't have to get Aerodactyl every day :P My three Aerodactyls wish I had learned that sooner :P)

Ugg, I should also finish up Let's Go Eevee at some point. I got to Victory Road and quit again, distracted by Pokemon Black. :/ I'm right there, I should just do it. A couple battles and one Cerulean Cave and then I'm basically done minus rando extra stuff. On the plus side, I've learned that Vivillon is basically key to almost any Pokemon I want in Home's GTS. Somehow I was able to trade one for a Blacephalon (I'm also trying for a Poipole but no luck yet) and then I just went around trading for all the holes in my Sword and Shield dex because why not? I think the only things I'm missing for a full National Dex are a couple mythicals (marshadow, lightning furry, grass monkey), Poipole + its evo, and a handful of gen 8 legendaries since I never actually beat those games. My dex currently ends with the two Sword and Shield box legendaries which I was somehow able to get in trades. So anything that comes after them I'm missing. (In other words, I just need to actually play Shield and its DLC to completion :P Which ugg, is another thing I need to do...)

P.S. - that feeling when grinding levels in Pokemon Black and the game crashes when you haven't saved in awhile T_T I think the cart got tilted or something because it did a weird thing where it froze and like all the graphics turned to a single color for each model (basically it was like all the lighting and textures were erased). My 3DS I think has some issue with the cart slot cuz I've definitely seen it not recognize when carts are inserted at times. I'm guessing it got nudged somehow and that happened mid-game :( So bleh, but at least I only lost time (like 3 hours worth of grinding, so yuck, but still only Pokemon levels, nothing significant like rare catches)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I was intending to prevent Legends from updating so I could keep farming shinies but it seems like I accidentally let it update back when it was released.

The new best method for shiny hunting completely sucks compared to pre-patch, takes 3 times as long with maybe half the odds. I'll probably just give up now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rami wrote: »
    I was intending to prevent Legends from updating so I could keep farming shinies but it seems like I accidentally let it update back when it was released.

The new best method for shiny hunting completely sucks compared to pre-patch, takes 3 times as long with maybe half the odds. I'll probably just give up now.

There's a way to guarantee shinies but it's semi haxxor-y.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KCmhVBnUps

TLDW - you catch the first four spawns of an outbreak and trade them to a discord bot which will then send you files you plug into a program which figures out your seed. Then you plug that into a website with the relevant info about the outbreak and it tells you exactly what order to catch/kill stuff in the outbreak to force a shiny to spawn (and by order I mean like, catch/kill one, get into a battle with two at a time and catch/kill both, get into a battle with three and catch/kill all three, etc. Basically different variations of multi battles). I tried it out and got two shiny Arcanines :P It honestly sounds more complicated than it actually is. But like I said, somewhat hack-y :P

The less "hacky" version of this is that catching/killing stuff in different orders produces different spawns for the outbreak (and/or the second wave in mass outbreaks), so you could technically go through different iterations yourself until you get lucky. It's time consuming but probably about the same as manually farming by resetting to town pre-patch.
    See: https://shinyhunter.club/tools/massive-mass-outbreak

Oh, side note, Home update hits tomorrow. Woo! Finally my stables in Arceus will be clean :3 (I do need to get on and catch a couple more Rotom tho, I wanted to transfer over all of the forms for dex purposes and I didn't have enough saved)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    yeah the 'catching/ko in different orders' for different permutations was what I was using.

It sounds like the discord bot thing just figures out which of the permutations is the correct one from your game data rather than you spending hours manually checking them all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yeah the 'catching/ko in different orders' for different permutations was what I was using.

It sounds like the discord bot thing just figures out which of the permutations is the correct one from your game data rather than you spending hours manually checking them all.

Yeah that's exactly what it does.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well I'd wait for home to update transfer what you got then delete the save and start a new game and dont update it until ypu got everything you want

I have physical though digital probably cant do that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

(also last I checked a few hours ago, Home was still in Maintenance, so boooooooo)

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    (also last I checked a few hours ago, Home was still in Maintenance, so boooooooo)

Mine is working now, apparently they have been intentionally slowing access so they don't get crushed by demand according to serebii

I'm excited to get home and get my hidden ability Sinnoh starters

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Chall wrote: »

Mine is working now, apparently they have been intentionally slowing access so they don't get crushed by demand according to serebii

I'm excited to get home and get my hidden ability Sinnoh starters

Yeah, that's what I read. I've been stuck at work all day so I haven't checked since this morning but I assume I have access now. Still tho, sucks... they said it would be over at 6:00 UTC, I waited until that time and it wasn't open. And in fact, it was down for at least ~15 hours based on the last time I checked, maybe longer. That sucks. I was all excited to move stuff over last night :(

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gosh I hope violet has the exclusives i like better because there's no way I dont pick purple when offered purple.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    skeldare wrote: »

It's about time. This trailer has been due for awhile now :P (at least based on past announcements which were all very close to May 15th for the last few gens). I'm assuming this will reveal the box legendaries. Hope we get a bunch of stuff tho, like region name, other new pokemon, etc. Would love to see some regional variants :3

Side note, been plowing through Ultra Moon, so damn fun. At some point I decided to take some time and grind out some evos so now my Pokedex is at like 80% going into the last island.. lol. The GTS in gen 7 is so weird right now because it breaks so easily due to so many hacked listings crashing the game if they are allowed to load, but I can put stuff up for trade and pretty much get anything I want, almost universally in shiny form. I think there must be some people just going through and hacking in trades for people :P I dunno.

But also, holy shit I've actually gotten two full-odds shinies just purely at random and not even hunting for them. First was a crabrawler at a rando berry pile I was checking. Second was a Hawlucha as I was hunting for a different 1% spawn (which I accidentally ran from once.. it took me soooo long to find again! But screw you game, I now have my SOS Salamence :3) It's just nuts to me that this happened twice and not like, part of a chain or anything either (because I've certainly done long SOS chains hunting for specific stuff).

I will say, one thing that strikes me about gen 7 in general is how awesome Poke Pelago is. I never got all the way through gen 8 but I feel like it didn't have a real equivalent? Like, I can put shit in the daycare, it doesn't level up or learn moves I don't want, get a bunch of eggs (which don't require free slots in my party, they go straight to boxes), then dump them in the hot springs to hatch without having to run in circles like an idiot. Where is this shit in gen 8? I can literally hatch 18 eggs at a time while also power-leveling Pokemon in that play area island *and* hunting for evo stones and fossils and stuff while also growing a bunch of berries. That's flat out awesome! Maybe gen 8 unlocks something super late game I'm not aware of, but I doubt it. The closest thing gen 8 has is Poke Jobs which is garbage. You get some XP (randomly) and random items, and you can do some amount of EV training, but that's about it (it also requires way more engagement since the jobs all want specific Pokemon types and there's no way to actually search/sort your boxes efficiently for them). Bleh.
    Gosh I hope violet has the exclusives i like better because there's no way I dont pick purple when offered purple.

Honestly it's going to be hard to get me to not choose Violet for exactly this reason. So yes, same. I feel like I've heard some of the legit leakers (the ones who have an insanely accurate track record of true leaks) suggest Violet has really good exclusives tho.

Warlock82 on