As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] and Ani-you and Manga too!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I should read Martian Chronicle...

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I finished rereading Alita, so if anyone was interested in book clubbing Last Order and beyond...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I watched a few episodes of Wonder Egg Priority, then the first episodes of Yuri Kuma Arashi and Kannazuki no Mito tonight.

I am just a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

KnM's first episode is a roller coaster.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    at least you saw some warnings about made in abyss before you looked into it

I'd love a dungeon diving mystery adventure story like made in abyss but with less horribly hurting children and less pervert gaze at aforementioned children. That'd be more ideal.

Have you heard of Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon? Our protagnists are going to eat their way through the dungeon come hell or high water. Also it has some of the best art and fantasy character design out there, point blank.

Yes that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about, dungeon meshi rules

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I recently rewatched Samurai Champloo and took a shotgun blast of Mandela Effect to the face in the final episode:
    I remembered Jin's whole "forbidden secret technique" involving baiting the enemy into hitting you near-fatally to set up a more guaranteed counter-blow, but in my memories that got mashed together with Mugen's fight in the church and the scene where Jin kills his master. I was completely certain that Jin fought the last guy in a darkened dojo scene, not in broad daylight on the top of a hill. Spooky.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    have you read the sequel serieses to Battle Angel/Gunnm yet? Last Order in particular gets to almost some Berserk levels of nuttiness

I tried. But it didn't really grab me. I hate to say that cause Gunnm one of my favorite anime / manga of all time. But I found Last Order kind of impenetrable.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Last Order is about how cats are good

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I'd love a dungeon diving mystery adventure story like made in abyss but with less horribly hurting children and less pervert gaze at aforementioned children. That'd be more ideal.

Have you heard of Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon? Our protagnists are going to eat their way through the dungeon come hell or high water. Also it has some of the best art and fantasy character design out there, point blank.

Now I want to read this but I hate anime/manga with depictions of delicious food because it makes me constantly hungry while watching/reading it.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Well yeah all these guys secretly want to be wrong so the hero can prove to then that third way centrism is real

That's a lot of reading into series about beating bad guys with the power of friendship.

The big problem with "let's turn enemies into friends" is that if you do make friends with your former enemies, you weren't really enemies to begin with.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. They're enemies because they have a worldview that is in conflict with yours. If you can convince them to change their worldview, then they can be friends.

Are you out of your gaddam mi- *deep breaths* A lot of people who have conflicting worldviews are not enemies at all. Like two engineers disagreeing over a detail of their plans. A mother not understanding why her child is upset. Two friends arguing over which sports team is more likely to win the cup. Or you and me, right now. These are not enemies, we are not foes (at least I hope not). We may be temporarily antagonists, but we are not really enemies.

Enmity, real enmity, like "fight-to-the-death" enmity, happens not when there is a conflicting worldview, aka a misunderstanding, or different childhood circumstances, as the animes claim, but when the opposing parties have mutually-exclusive fundamental goals. Think "person who wants to own slaves" and "people who don't want to be slaves". Or, well, Light and L/Mellow/Near in Death Note. People who can't just eventually become friends if external circumstances change. Internally, if they change those fundamental goals, then maybe, but changing a fundamental goal requires that you have at least one other fundamental goal that wants that change, and therefore there was a part of them that wasn't an enemy.

I don't think you're doing this on purpose, but by conflating "people with mutually exclusive interests" and "people who aren't on the same conceptual page", you're giving oppressed/abused people the false hope that maybe if they just talked to their oppressors/abusers just right, they'd get the latter to stop oppressing/abusing them. This... historically hasn't worked.

I'm not sure how people arrive at fundamentally opposed goals without having conflicting worldviews. I don't think you can have the one without the other, and your goals will not change unless your worldview does.

Of course I do not intend to give oppressed folk false hope, but I have to believe people can change. How you go about getting people to change is definitely not as simple as talking to them the right way, but if you believe people are incapable of change, then what options are left to you for dealing with the conflict between you?

I believe the most popular response to that question, historically, has been "you simply unexist all of the wrong people".

In any case, I've been starting (and catching up) on some manga this past week, some very good, some just kind of okay.

Dress-up darling is really wholesome and very neat. These two teenage morons are at very severe risk of dying of mutual thirst before this manga ends, but also the sheer joy people put into their passions in here is always good to read.

Otoyomegatari is very good. An uncommon choice of subject matter (the peoples of the steppes and their life), and feels so much like someone very interested in the cultures involved trying their best to represent them. Thorough recommend. And christ, the art. How does the artist's hand not fall off after some of these pages. Entire two page spreads of incredibly detailed sewn patterns has to be an intentional flex.

The Holy Grail of Eris is also quite good. Drama centered around a relatively sheltered noble girl trying to save her family and getting into some deep shit about it, and a ghost linked to her that is a lady who is basically the exact opposite ot her in terms of nobility.

On the more "eh" side, a friend recommended Iruma-kun, and while it's not actually bad, and it's quite frequently funny, and it has a lot of lovable characters, the sheer blatantness of the wish fulfillment kinda kicks me out of the story sometimes? Like, I have nothing against a little wish fulfillment, I read Riso no Himo Seikatsu, but there's kind of a point of "every girl falls for the main character and everything ends up going his way" that takes you a bit out of the whole thing and Iruma hits that like thirty chapters in and just keeps sprinting on.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    have you read the sequel serieses to Battle Angel/Gunnm yet? Last Order in particular gets to almost some Berserk levels of nuttiness

I fucking love that last order is basically all tournament arc. Except really good tournament arc. Space karate! Sechs (who's technically trans and it's great!). Vampires! Zekka!

Sadly Mars Chronicle is pretty awful currently. It started with a flashback, then advanced the timeline set up a bunch of interesting stuff...

And has been in flashback ever since, most of it focusing on child Erica who is literally the worst. Glad the mangaka is having fun, I guess, but also arrrrrrrrrrgh

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Wow I go away for a few, um, years and we can have Anime threads now?

Madness!

Anyways I've had literally 0 time to fit in any Anime for a long time but I'm finally starting up Demon Slayer. I like it so far. Only up to Episode 5 and liking it so far.

Artoria on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Now I want to read this but I hate anime/manga with depictions of delicious food because it makes me constantly hungry while watching/reading it.

This will happen, but power through Friend. Not only is the series often deeply funny, it's got an incredibly well realized world - our protagonists win through actually understanding monster biology and the issues it would have, the reason there's a fucking crazy dungeon actually makes sense...
    Just go! Read it! It's so good!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Why are you trying to argue with someone to try and change their mind if you think the attitude of trying to argue with someone to try and change their mind is bad?

I'm arguing with CD (and now you) because I think we're not real enemies, you silly goose.

Trying to argue with real enemies to try and change their minds is useless. Of course, one has to check that one's adversary is a real enemy, so trying to initiate dialogue is a good first step in any conflict, but them consistently refusing to engage in it or dismissing their opponent's critique out of hand (regardless of who says it*) is a good indicator that they might be real enemies.

* For example, Miko Iino dismisses Yuu Ishigami's critique several times in Love is War, but she doesn't dismiss the same criticism when Chika Fujiwara says it, so Ishigami and Iino aren't real enemies. Ishimiko clears that particular hurdle.

I'm not sure how people arrive at fundamentally opposed goals without having conflicting worldviews. I don't think you can have the one without the other, and your goals will not change unless your worldview does.

Of course I do not intend to give oppressed folk false hope, but I have to believe people can change. How you go about getting people to change is definitely not as simple as talking to them the right way, but if you believe people are incapable of change, then what options are left to you for dealing with the conflict between you?

To your first paragraph: imagine two business magnates with the same worldview: being the richest is good, nothing is off the table to get there, whoever gets to the top deserves it. Complete agreement on every abstract position. If Magnate A wants to be the richest and so does Magnate B, they're going to outmaneuver, sabotage and murder the shit out of each other; they're still really enemies. Hell, they may even like and respect each other, but both of them have the same worldview that letting something like "the enjoyment of each other's company" get in the way of their ambitions is wrong. Real enmity != Worldview conflict.

The criteria for two enemies being real enemies is incompatibility of their committed life goals/ambitions, not necessarily their worldview.

To your second paragraph: I know firsthand (hell, zeroth hand) people can change. But for someone to change of their own free will, they have to want to change, which means realizing their committed life goals/ambitions are served by them changing, which means, if they change enough to be genuine friends with their former enemies, their and their former enemies' CLGs/As weren't incompatible to begin with. Hence, not really enemies. QED.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Well yeah all these guys secretly want to be wrong so the hero can prove to then that third way centrism is real

That's a lot of reading into series about beating bad guys with the power of friendship.

The big problem with "let's turn enemies into friends" is that if you do make friends with your former enemies, you weren't really enemies to begin with.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. They're enemies because they have a worldview that is in conflict with yours. If you can convince them to change their worldview, then they can be friends.

Are you out of your gaddam mi- *deep breaths* A lot of people who have conflicting worldviews are not enemies at all. Like two engineers disagreeing over a detail of their plans. A mother not understanding why her child is upset. Two friends arguing over which sports team is more likely to win the cup. Or you and me, right now. These are not enemies, we are not foes (at least I hope not). We may be temporarily antagonists, but we are not really enemies.

Enmity, real enmity, like "fight-to-the-death" enmity, happens not when there is a conflicting worldview, aka a misunderstanding, or different childhood circumstances, as the animes claim, but when the opposing parties have mutually-exclusive fundamental goals. Think "person who wants to own slaves" and "people who don't want to be slaves". Or, well, Light and L/Mellow/Near in Death Note. People who can't just eventually become friends if external circumstances change. Internally, if they change those fundamental goals, then maybe, but changing a fundamental goal requires that you have at least one other fundamental goal that wants that change, and therefore there was a part of them that wasn't an enemy.

I don't think you're doing this on purpose, but by conflating "people with mutually exclusive interests" and "people who aren't on the same conceptual page", you're giving oppressed/abused people the false hope that maybe if they just talked to their oppressors/abusers just right, they'd get the latter to stop oppressing/abusing them. This... historically hasn't worked.

I believe the most popular response to that question, historically, has been "you simply unexist all of the wrong people".

In any case, I've been starting (and catching up) on some manga this past week, some very good, some just kind of okay.

Dress-up darling is really wholesome and very neat. These two teenage morons are at very severe risk of dying of mutual thirst before this manga ends, but also the sheer joy people put into their passions in here is always good to read.

Otoyomegatari is very good. An uncommon choice of subject matter (the peoples of the steppes and their life), and feels so much like someone very interested in the cultures involved trying their best to represent them. Thorough recommend. And christ, the art. How does the artist's hand not fall off after some of these pages. Entire two page spreads of incredibly detailed sewn patterns has to be an intentional flex.

The Holy Grail of Eris is also quite good. Drama centered around a relatively sheltered noble girl trying to save her family and getting into some deep shit about it, and a ghost linked to her that is a lady who is basically the exact opposite ot her in terms of nobility.

On the more "eh" side, a friend recommended Iruma-kun, and while it's not actually bad, and it's quite frequently funny, and it has a lot of lovable characters, the sheer blatantness of the wish fulfillment kinda kicks me out of the story sometimes? Like, I have nothing against a little wish fulfillment, I read Riso no Himo Seikatsu, but there's kind of a point of "every girl falls for the main character and everything ends up going his way" that takes you a bit out of the whole thing and Iruma hits that like thirty chapters in and just keeps sprinting on.

I absolutely adore Iruma-kun manga:
    The everyone's iruma-sexual thing eventually becomes a meta-joke, so the author is aware of it.

Is there an arc where it doesn't feel like Iruma/the author actually earned the end? There's been pretty good narrative flow and character development, imo.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Artoria wrote: »

Madness!

Anyways I've had literally 0 time to fit in any Anime for a long time but I'm finally starting up Demon Slayer. I like it so far. Only up to Episode 5 and liking it so far.

Yeah, basically a "the world is shit enough let's enjoy it where we can" coupled with active self-policing to keep the horny shit out.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    speaking of horny shit I just got through Nekomonogatari: Kuro

I am definitely stoked to start Monogatari: Second Season, but also I'm hoping there's a lot more Senjougahara than there was in Niseimonogatari, because this series is actively at its best and its least bad-horny when Senjougahara is threatening to rip Koyomi's face off with office supplies for toeing the line between dirtbag and scumbag

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I really should give more manga a try. For some reason I have such a higher threshold for enjoyment on manga than I do anime. I used to watch so much anime even if it was mediocre, but gave very few manga a try. Even manga for shows I absolutely adored.

I wonder if ole Masamune Shirow has put out anything good. He used to be one of my favorites.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Abusing the silly goose rule freely is a very good way to turn someone into a real enemy!
    aka Im done with this topic while you act like that

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    speaking of horny shit I just got through Nekomonogatari: Kuro

I am definitely stoked to start Monogatari: Second Season, but also I'm hoping there's a lot more Senjougahara than there was in Niseimonogatari, because this series is actively at its best and its least bad-horny when Senjougahara is threatening to rip Koyomi's face off with office supplies for toeing the line between dirtbag and scumbag

That's the definite nadir of the series, but woof there are still some low points to go.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I really should give more manga a try. For some reason I have such a higher threshold for enjoyment on manga than I do anime. I used to watch so much anime even if it was mediocre, but gave very few manga a try. Even manga for shows I absolutely adored.

I wonder if ole Masamune Shirow has put out anything good. He used to be one of my favorites.

I find most anime end with the story unresolved as a way to get you to check out the manga, so I always encourage people to seek out manga for the conclusion to most stories.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Im the opposite. Ill read almost any garbage but Im fussy about anime.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I find most anime end with the story unresolved as a way to get you to check out the manga, so I always encourage people to seek out manga for the conclusion to most stories.

Then you read the manga and find out the story is still unresolved. But I don't encourage people to seek out the light novel because no matter how good an anime or manga is there has been some MAJOR editing of the light novel to get them to that point. It's just part of what a light novel is, something simple enough to be written on a phone that doesn't need to conform to usual writing structure.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Speaking of trashy things, I've been rewatching random old shows that I have fond memories of to reassure myself that old schlock like C3, Ben-To, Tokyo Majin, etc does at least hold up better than all the isekai and other drek recently. And most does. Yeah, there are somewhat different problems, but they're not just transparent MRA fanfiction buried under the weight of ten thousand footnotes explaining every minutia. Horizon especially, I didn't give enough credit in my memories to either its animation or its big speeches. It's genuinely a shame Sunrise gave up on it after two seasons.

Anyway, I reached Taboo Tattoo, and I'd forgotten so many small things about this show that make it such a fucking baffling and fascinating acid trip, not the least of which was how the whole thing ended with a teaser for "On the next season of Taboo Tattoo, battle at the South Pole!" Which is just peak comedy and almost a parody in and of itself. The entire final arc is such a cataclysm of mystifying nonsense, from a dude named Colonel Sanders wanting to nuke the grand canyon to stop girl Sephiroth, to somehow ending up a kaijuu fight with dudes chanting "USA! USA!", to a random side character popping up out of nowhere getting top billing who keeps yelling that he's the main character and has a girlfriend waiting at home who he's going to marry. JC Staff went so hard on the animation for it too. Not always well, since it loves the zooming around camera schtick, but more money and effort probably went into any of its fights than every single one of the half-assed action scenes of Virgin Road this season combined. I would love to know the story of whatever the fuck was going on with that show's production.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Altria wrote: »

Madness!

Glad to have you back.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Same. You can rush through manga very fast, so if is bad, whatever.

Meanwhile, anime takes time to watch, so you have to schedule time for it. Barely make time to watch anime these days, and this season is only Spy x Family.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Anime is a bigger time commitment, yeah, I can read a chapter of manga on the toilet

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Then you read the manga and find out the story is still unresolved. But I don't encourage people to seek out the light novel because no matter how good an anime or manga is there has been some MAJOR editing of the light novel to get them to that point. It's just part of what a light novel is, something simple enough to be written on a phone that doesn't need to conform to usual writing structure.

Nae, good person. The light novel is a heavily edited and professional product created from a web novel which is where the real madness is at.

Delving into web novels really does show you the uh ... Rawness of humanity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Birdie Wing simply has the largest brain of any television show ever made

• Options

It's important to leave as much space as possible for the two brain cells it has to bounce around.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It introduces concepts then moves on to even crazier things and presumably this arc will all end up with Eve going to a Japanese school

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

It's important to leave as much space as possible for the two brain cells it has to bounce around.

So true

• Options
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So I've been thinking about the Kaguya rap episode this week, and I've been consistently impressed by their soundtrack choices, and the variety of artists they sample.

Kaguya's rap, for example, draws heavily from Queen:
    https://youtu.be/UoMBGan2XFU

https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Hayasaka's rap samples Led Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand, which is a deep cut that took me a while to recognize:
    https://youtu.be/1t4KLOm7pO0

But this isn't the only time. The season 2 track Enzetsu Ha!? draws pretty clearly from Bonnie Tyler's Holding Out for a Hero:
    https://youtu.be/RqlPRnLxAMw

And the season 1 track "Failure" sound suspiciously like Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Round.
    https://youtu.be/AMwxa6hZIGg

Whoever is doing the soundtracks for this show extremely knows what they're doing.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/b1miJsAVYJA

Aww hell yeah more Mob in October (turn on YouTube closed captions for English subs)

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

This will happen, but power through Friend. Not only is the series often deeply funny, it's got an incredibly well realized world - our protagonists win through actually understanding monster biology and the issues it would have, the reason there's a fucking crazy dungeon actually makes sense...
    Just go! Read it! It's so good!

I'm glad I listened, I love this

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Aww hell yeah more Mob in October (turn on YouTube closed captions for English subs)

Guessing this will be the last season.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

Yeah, like I'm reading the Couple of Cuckoos manga. I started it day one when it came out since it was the same author as Seven Witches.

But when I think about the fact it has an anime now, my first thought it "That's out already!?" and my second is "Ehh...I don't really want to watch that, it kind of sucks..."

Then the next week, I read the next chapter of A Couple of Cuckoos.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

The manga ended, right? Gotta be the last season

I've been meaning to dig into the comic but also the show was so good I'm sort of waiting for that, it's exceedingly rare that I ever engage with both an anime and manga concurrently

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I've been meaning to dig into the comic but also the show was so good I'm sort of waiting for that, it's exceedingly rare that I ever engage with both an anime and manga concurrently

You mean Final Season: The First Final Season, to be followed by Final Season: The Second Final Season, and then Final Movie: The Actual Conclusion.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

You mean Final Season: The First Final Season, to be followed by Final Season: The Second Final Season, and then Final Movie: The Actual Conclusion.

Is this a thing now

I’ve only ever heard about Attack on Titan doing it, but I would absolutely believe it started a trend

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.